Old 04-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Dallas store owner fatally shoots robber
Quote:
Owner Bunthan Te said two masked gunmen walked into the store. One jumped over the counter and the other held his wife at gunpoint.
There was a brief shootout at close range in the cooler. Te wasn’t hit and he doesn’t remember hitting the suspect, but the man ran away after that.

Te then went to help his wife. She was able to break away and he took the opportunity to fire shots at the other suspect.

Police believe there were actually three suspects involved in the robbery. Two of them got away and the man the store owner shot died in the parking lot.
DGU with one death. 3 people vs the two store workers. Even at close range, shot placement is critical.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:06 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
In other news, Dallas store owner fatally shoots robber

DGU with one death. 3 people vs the two store workers. Even at close range, shot placement is critical.
The Wife fired at the robbers. I am curious as to how much firearm training she had.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:01 PM

Elderly man thwarts robbery; kills a suspect, wounds another
Quote:
The suspects, later identified as Larry Shaver, 28, of Fairmont and John Grossklaus, 28, of Fairmont, threatened the victim with what appeared to be a handgun and demanded various items, according to Fairmont Police.

The elderly man then pulled out his own pistol and opened fire on the assailants. At least three rounds hit Shaver and Grossklaus.
3 assailants in their 20's -v- 1 octogenarian. Don't piss off grandpa.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Elderly man thwarts robbery; kills a suspect, wounds another

3 assailants in their 20's -v- 1 octogenarian. Don't piss off grandpa.
This was a pellet gun, but in other crime reports that have been posted, I am surprised how often someone threatened with a pistol can used their own previously concealed weapon to defeat the robbers who already have a gun aimed at the victim.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
This was a pellet gun, but in other crime reports that have been posted, I am surprised how often someone threatened with a pistol can used their own previously concealed weapon to defeat the robbers who already have a gun aimed at the victim.
I imagine having the element of surprise in their favor helps a great deal. I've never had to use a gun in a civilian tactical situation, and I hope it stays that way.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I imagine having the element of surprise in their favor helps a great deal. I've never had to use a gun in a civilian tactical situation, and I hope it stays that way.
I expected the guy who tried to rob my Wife, who she chased down and identified, to break down our door any night, and wondered how to handle that. My twelve gauge as he came through the broken door seemed the best option.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
How can one surprise a guy with a gun pointed at you?
I suppose the old saying, "If they were not stupid, they would have a job" comes into play.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
How can one surprise a guy with a gun pointed at you?
I suppose the old saying, "If they were not stupid, they would have a job" comes into play.
If you are carrying concealed, the assailant doesn't know that and over time (seconds, minutes) may get a little lax. All you need is a couple of seconds and, being very careful you can draw, and put two rounds into their forehead and one to the chest, to stop the threat.

If you F it up, you're likely dead. Don't F it up.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Matt Helm, protagonist of the Donald Hamilton novels, on instructing upon the use of a pistol: "It is not a magic wand. Pointing it at someone does not give you power over them. Aim at the center of the body, pull the long thing that comes out the bottom until it quits making noise."

Last edited by carnivorousplant; 04-23-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

I loved that series of books ......
Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 AM

If the films are anything to go by, you surprise people by using a gun that fires several seconds after you pull the trigger. But we digress.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
If the films are anything to go by, you surprise people by using a gun that fires several seconds after you pull the trigger. But we digress.
The novels are very, very different than the films.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Officials: Gun-toting veteran saves life of Bastrop deputy
Quote:
Not thinking about his own life, a local Marine veteran jumped into action and stopped a man from reaching a Bastrop deputy’s gun as the suspect pummeled the officer during a struggle earlier this month.

“Freeze!” Scott Perkins yelled as he pulled out his concealed handgun, pointing at the suspect.

“I’m alive today because of him,” the deputy, 23-year-old Dylan Dorris said Wednesday, reflecting on the events surrounding a disturbance call outside a Bastrop County gas station Jan. 16. “There are no words to explain it. He’s such an outstanding citizen. He’s here for our country, our community and you really feel the love.”

Perkins’ actions caused the suspect to leave Dorris and flee, before he was detained and taken into custody by another deputy and Dorris shortly after.
DGU with no injuries (from gunfire). Armed citizen able to come to the aid of a police officer during a struggle and is credited with saving the officer's life.

In other news, LMPD investigating after homeowner shoots, kills intruder in south Louisville
Quote:
Police say a man was fatally shot in south Louisville this morning as he tried to break into a home.

Louisville Metro Police were called to a home on Manslick Road near Iroquois Park just before 4 a.m. on the report of a shooting.

LMPD spokesman Dwight Mitchell says when officers arrived they found a white male dead outside the home. Mitchell has confirmed that the man was in the process of breaking into the home when he was shot.

Mitchell says the investigation is continuing, but it appears the homeowner shot the intruder to protect his family.
DGU with one death. This one seems pretty routine actually - person tries to break into a house, is shot and killed. I'd say breaking in to someone's house at 4 in the morning the person would have to expect people to be home.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Semper Fi, Scott Perkins. Nicely done, Marine.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, 22-year-old neighbor ID'd as burglar killed by Jeffco homeowner
Quote:
[Chief Deputy]Christian said an 8-year-old boy had just arrived home from school and was alone. He called his father and told him three men were knocking on the doors.

The child hid under a bed. The father, who was only a few minutes away, got home and went inside. Once inside, he discovered the three men had broken into the home. The father confronted them and fired shots from a handgun.

Deputies arrived on the scene to find Stubbs on the floor inside the home. He was taken to UAB Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 5:21 p.m.

The other two suspects fled on foot. There were early reports of a second suspect wounded, and deputies say there was a possible blood trail leading from the apartment. They were are also checking area hospitals.
"There are behaviors and activities in this life that increase your chances of losing yours,'' Christian said. "Kicking in a door and entering someone's home with criminal intent is one of them. Thank God this little boy and his dad are OK."
DGU with one death, and possibly one other injury. 3 men vs. an 8 year old boy until the father comes home. Apparently the person who was killed was a neighbor - now that's going to be awkward at the next block party.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The novels are very, very different than the films.
Absolutely. I saw part of one of the movies and that was too much to see.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusNSpot View Post
Absolutely. I saw part of one of the movies and that was too much to see.
Now I know you aren't talking shit on Dean Martin.
The Matt Helm novels were like the Mike Hammer novels in that the author could talk convincingly about violence and gunplay until the reader actually stopped, thought about it, and did a little research. The James Bond novels are the same.

Last edited by Scumpup; 04-26-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
The Matt Helm novels were like the Mike Hammer novels in that the author could talk convincingly about violence and gunplay until the reader actually stopped, thought about it, and did a little research. The James Bond novels are the same.
I never researched Bond novels. Fleming knew squat about firearms.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Not me....

It is like the Spencer Stories from Robert Parker.
As much as I liked the TV series, the fact that I had read the books allowed me to fill in the subtleties that the visual media can not where as the author can in a book.

The thought processes are the key to Spencer, Matt Helm & Travis McGee enjoyment. IMO
Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, SANGER HOMEOWNER DEFENDS PROPERTY WITH GUN
Quote:
The homeowner, who didn't want to identify himself on camera, says he was finishing some yard work Thursday night and went to go back inside. But his front security door was locked, which he knew he didn't do.

He looked through this window and saw 54-year-old Enrique Garza standing inside, about 10 feet away from him.

The homeowner had this gun in his pocket, so he pulled it out. "I pointed it right at him he saw it and I said freeze don't move," the man said. "But it was a shock for about three or four seconds I didn't know what he was going to do whether shoot me or stab me or whatever."

Garza didn't have any weapons on him. Deputies, along with Sanger police officers, arrested him for burglary, violating probation, and misdemeanor drug possession.
DGU with no injuries. This was in Fresno County, California. It may be surprising, but in many of the less populated counties local sheriffs will approve CCW permits. Those permits are valid statewide as well.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Robeson County woman shoots, kills intruder
Quote:
The woman and her toddler-aged child left the house to run an errand, Thompson said.

While she was gone, the Sheriff's Office had received an alarm activation indicating someone had broken into the house, Thompson said.

The woman returned before deputies arrived, finding the Jeep parked in her driveway. The woman, who Thompson said is a military wife, entered the residence with her handgun.

"There was a gentleman on the inside of the house coming down the hallway,'' Thompson said. "She looked at him, he looked at her. He had her iPad in his hand. She started shooting.''
DGU with one death. Seems like the homeowner was well prepared to deal with the situation - though I'd question the "gentlemen" characterization.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

My kind of gal.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:37 AM

Quote:
It may be surprising, but in many of the less populated counties local sheriffs will approve CCW permits. Those permits are valid statewide as well.
Don't I know it. A CCW won't happen for me in Santa Clara County in the foreseeable future.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
In other news, Robeson County woman shoots, kills intruder

DGU with one death. Seems like the homeowner was well prepared to deal with the situation - though I'd question the "gentlemen" characterization.
I pad theft punishable by death.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
If she would not be interviewed, we don't know how things happened.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Rather, crime is a high-risk job.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
More like, breaking into a person's home and presenting a threat of serious bodily injury is defendable by lethal force.

In other news, Would-be burglar confronted by armed homeowner
Quote:
Police said the homeowner, a Marine veteran, was asleep and heard a noise coming from the back porch about 11:50 p.m. Thursday. He investigated, and reportedly saw a man on the back porch attempting to break in.
The homeowner got his gun and ordered the man, later identified as Price, to leave. Price saw the gun and fled, police said.
One of the officers responding to the incident saw Price, detained him and placed him under arrest.
DGU with no injuries. No good comes after 11pm at a stranger's house.

In other news, NE ABQ Shop owner fights alleged robbers
Quote:
KOB has confirmed that at least two suspects tried to steal from the store but their attempt was cut short when the store owner started fighting them back.
"While he was confronted by the subjects they hit him with a blunt object in the head he was able to fire back at a round at one of the subjects and he hit one of the subjects,” APD Officer Daren DeAguaro said. “There was blood everywhere.”
Witnesses say they saw other suspects put the man who was shot into a car and drive away.
KOB has also been told that as the suspect, who died, was being taken into the ER, there were coins and gold bars falling out of his pockets.
DGU with one death and an injured store owner.

In still more news, Second suspect arrested in attempted robbery that killed one suspect
Quote:
Police got a call to Gift Card ATM store on West Mercury Boulevard near Salem Street at 6:21 p.m. Friday, according to Sergeant Matt Bond.

Officers found Timothy Johnson, 18, suffering from a gunshot wound and pronounced him dead on the scene.

Less than a mile away on Seldendale Drive, police found Veney suffering from a non-life threatening gunshot wound. Paramedics took him to the hospital for treatment.

Investigators say Johnson and Veney went into the store to rob it, but a store employee who was legally carrying a gun shot them both.
DGU with 1 death. 2vs1 and the one prevailed, hitting both robbers.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Woman fatally shot man who broke into Woodlawn home
Quote:
About 5:15 a.m., the 30-year-old man broke into a home in the 400 block of East 62nd Street and began to beat the woman who lived there, according to Chicago Police.

The 28-year-old woman was able to grab a handgun and shot the man to death during the struggle, police said.
DGU with one death. The resident knew the attacker as well. Previously before Chicago issued FOID cards this sort of thing would have ended much worse.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Shooting of intruder in Spokane deemed justified
Quote:
A Spokane man was justified when he shot and killed an intoxicated man shouting threats and trying to break into his home through the storm door.
The Spokane County Prosecutor’s Office made that ruling on Monday.
The prosecutor says Kevin Elliott shot Jerry R. King, 39, Jan. 30 after showing King his gun and warning him that he’d shoot.
According to a press release from the county, Elliott was in his own home and had no duty to retreat. He felt threatened for himself, his wife andl baby.
DGU with one death. Another person shot through a storm door. I am not familiar with what that is but it seems to be translucent? Threatening someone in their home after they issue warnings and display a firearm is risky business.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Threatening someone in their home after they issue warnings and display a firearm is risky business.
The guy was intoxicated.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, 92-year-old man fires shot at home intruder
Quote:
Deputies say the homeowner, who lives in the 1400 block of Chase Street, heard the would-be invader, believed to be in his 20s or 30s, attempt to break down the door with an ax.

As the 92-year-old approached the door with a handgun, the suspect shattered a window and tried to climb through, the release says, prompting the homeowner to open fire.
DGU with no injuries. A 92 year old without a firearm and this could have gone much worse.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Burglar sues homeowner who shot him
Quote:
Authorities said David A. Bailey, now 31, of Albany, Ind., broke into the garage of David McLaughlin of Dunkirk, Ind., on April 21, 2014.

McLaughlin, now 33, fired gunshots at the intruder he saw fleeing his property. One of the bullets hit Bailey in the left arm as he ran down an alley.

In September 2014, a Jay County Superior Court jury here found McLaughlin guilty of criminal recklessness in the shooting. Judge Max Ludy later sentenced McLaughlin to 60 days in jail, to be followed with four months on home detention.

Bailey was in an alley behind McLaughlin’s home in this city of almost 2,500 residents when the homeowner “exited his residence and began firing his weapon into the air in response to a security alarm sound in his garage,” the suit claims. As Bailey fled down an alley, McLaughlin “continued to the public-right-of-way (and off his property) and continued firing his weapon down the dark alley.”

McLaughlin fired three shots at Bailey, the suit contends.

One narrowly missed the Albany man’s head. Another struck him in the back of the arm and pierced an artery, causing “serious and permanent damage.”

The lawsuit asks for “a monetary award in an amount sufficient to compensate (Bailey) for all damages."
There is a bright line between self-defense and criminal recklessness. Gun owners who cross that line will be held accountable.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Burglar sues homeowner who shot himThere is a bright line between self-defense and criminal recklessness. Gun owners who cross that line will be held accountable.
Indeed.
Laws vary from state to state, but surely not even in Texas may one chase the fellow down the street as he flees while shooting at him.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 AM

The lawsuit is less of a positive story than the fact that the idiot was convicted of criminal recklessness. Shooting up a public street - Jeebus, man, those bullets go somewhere. He was lucky they didn't go into an innocent bystander.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, 2 wounded teens wanted in Uptown New Orleans armed robbery
Quote:
Police said the armed pair approached the victims Wednesday (Jan. 27) around 11:12 p.m. near Austerlitz and Tchoupitoulas streets and demanded their property. Both victims complied and handed over their belongings, but one victim produced a pistol and shot the robbers, both of whom fled.

Ford and Hurlston were found in the 3900 block of Tchoupitoulas, suffering from non-life threatening gunshot wounds. They were taken to a local hospital by emergency medical services personnel, treated and released.
DGU with no deaths. So two people try to rob two other people and were thwarted when one of the victims is able to draw his own weapon and shoot both the robbers. What's amazing is that the hospital that treated the two robbers released them. Apparently they claimed they were victims when they arrived at the hospital.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, New Orleans gas station shooter sent from hospital to jail; claimed self-defense
Quote:
Police said the melee started about 3:30 p.m. at the Claiborne Express station just off Esplanade Avenue. Macklin, who was driving a white Volvo, arrived at the gas station at the same time as a large group of men riding ATVs.

Macklin became “enraged” during an argument, according to an arrest report, and shot three of the men, ages 30, 31 and 32. Then one of the ATV riders, whom police have not named, pulled out a legally owned weapon and shot back.
Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said Sunday that none of the men’s wounds are life-threatening.

Police said in the arrest report that statements from victims and witnesses made it “evident” that Macklin was the aggressor and responsible for the shooting.

Friedman, the magistrate commissioner, found probable cause in relation to the shooting for the three counts of attempted second-degree murder as well as illegal use of a weapon, illegal carrying of a weapon and possession of a firearm by a felon.
DGU with no deaths. So a convicted felon who was illegally carrying a firearm gets into an altercation with a group of people and shoots three of them. One of the three is a licensed to carry a concealed weapon and fires back, hitting the aggressor in the head. After originally claiming he was a victim, police arrest him after it's clear he was the aggressor. Another case of folks being shot and being able to take themselves to the hospital.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Indeed.
Laws vary from state to state, but surely not even in Texas may one chase the fellow down the street as he flees while shooting at him.
I am not a lawyer, but go read Texas Penal Code sections 9.41 and 9.42. You might be surprised. Heck, I'll quote them in their entirety below.
Quote:
SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.
(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
[I omitted the language about which Legislative Acts gave rise to these Code sections.]

Given the quoted material, I can come up with a fact pattern that permits a homeowner to chase an immediately fleeing burglar carrying the homeowner's tangible movable property, and use deadly force to prevent the thief's escape. I'm not saying those facts were present in the case you're mentioning. (And it's not in Texas anyway.)

But, given certain preconditions, it is entirely legal for a Texas homeowner to pursue a thief, and use deadly force to prevent the theft of their personal property. It may not be a prudent thing for the homeowner to do though.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 05-04-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: movable, not removable.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:34 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, DeKalb County Sheriff's employee shoots home invader
Quote:
Neighbors told Channel 2's Tyisha Fernandes they saw two females knock on the door minutes before the home invasion. Neighbors believe the girls were making sure no one was home.

"I just heard three shots, and they were loud like bang, bang, bang," neighbor Furaha Merrit said.

Around 10:30 p.m., the sheriff's employee was sleeping when her sons woke her up and said intruders were in the house.

Police say that's when the woman grabbed her gun and shot one of the suspects. They dropped the television they were stealing and ran down the hill through Merritt's yard.
DGU with no deaths. 3 vs 1 and the one prevailed. The article says it was a sheriff's employee, but not an actual officer. Who still steals TVs?

Last edited by Bone; 05-05-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Homeowner shoots burglar after struggle over weapon
Quote:
She was shocked to hear that someone had broken into her neighbor's home down the street. The Oklahoma City Police Department Sgt. Ashley Peters said the break-in happened around 3 a.m. Feb. 5. The family reported hearing loud banging on the door, like someone was trying to kick it in.

"At that time, he (the homeowner) retrieved his firearm that he had, which was a shotgun, and then made contact with the suspect that had entered the home," Peters said.

Police say the suspect was Vernon Wyatt.

"There was a struggle that ensued and the suspect attempted to try and take the shotgun away from the victim," Peters said.

Eventually the homeowner got full control of the gun and Wyatt began running away, but not before one round of birdshot was fired from the shotgun. Police caught up with Wyatt down the street, near Lawrence's home.
DGU with no deaths. Maintaining adequate distance is not always possible in residence. I don't subscribe to the idea that birdshot is adequate for home defense. Birdshot is for birds.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maintaining adequate distance is not always possible in residence.
Is this an example of how it is difficult to move around with a shotgun inside the house?
Old 05-06-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Is this an example of how it is difficult to move around with a shotgun inside the house?
I would say so. I fully realize there are different opinions and schools of thought on this issue. Personally, I don't think a shotgun is the best choice. It is long, cumbersome and hard to maneuver. It may not be bad for barricading yourself in a room, but it is unwieldy for answering a door. And people who tout how "you don't have to aim, just point in the general direction" are completely wrong. A load of buckshot (which is appropriate for defensive use , not birdshot) will barely start to spread out within the 10 to 20 foot distances typically found in a home.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
A load of buckshot (which is appropriate for defensive use , not birdshot) will barely start to spread out within the 10 to 20 foot distances typically found in a home.
Excellent point. You know, I have no idea what the spread pattern looks like for mine. I should take it to the range to test that.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

When I bought the 12 gauge I fired #3 at a target on a trashcan at about 24 feet. The trash can had .32 size holes in a pattern 12" in diameter.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
This is a matter of personal preference. I personally don't think a shotgun is an ideal choice for home defense in most scenario. They are heavy, difficult to operate with one hand, a stronger person can easily gain leverage over the weapon in close quarters.

A proper load of 00 buck will spread something like 4-8 inches at typical interior ranges. At close range, a proper load will remove flesh and bone.

In other news, Cops: Atlanta woman shoots, kills man who had ‘harassed’ her for days
Quote:
According to an Atlanta police incident report, the man, whose name has not been released, was chasing the unidentified woman through a parking lot on the 500 block of Jefferson Chase Circle when he “approached [her] in a manner that reportedly caused [her] to fear for her safety.”

The woman allegedly pulled out a handgun and shot the man once in the chest, killing him. The woman remained at the scene and is cooperating with homicide detectives, authorities said.
DGU with one death. After harassing the woman for days, the attacker carried it too far.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:16 AM

Granny has a gun and knows how to use it. Three out of four shots hit the intruder. Husband still in hospital. Hope he recovers ok.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2628602
Quote:
Barb Moles, an 80-year-old with eight grandchildren and three great-grandkids, shot and killed a home intruder who stabbed her husband last week in Washington.

“You know how mothers are with their kids. That's the way I am with my husband,” she told KOMO. “I just protect his back. I'm not just the typical granny — in case you haven't noticed.”

The woman, whose adult son was also home at the time, heard an altercation in her house and walked into the kitchen to discover her husband John lying in a pool of blood.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-08-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Birmingham cab driver shoots, wounds customer during struggle over fare
Quote:
Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards said the taxi driver, whose name hasn't been released, picked up a fare this morning in Southside. There was some type of disagreement with the pay amount between the taxi driver and the citizen in the cab.

"We don't know exactly what that was, but there was some type of struggle,'' Edwards said. "A witness even saw that the customer that was sitting in the car began to attack the taxi driver. He was striking and all of the sudden the taxi driver grabbed his firearm. I guess he wanted to defend himself and during that process the customer was shot."

The shooting happened inside the cab, and the customer was shot in the leg. "During the struggle, the taxi driver attempted to strike him with the firearm and at that time firearm went off and struck him in the leg,'' he said.
DGU with no deaths. I wonder how often taxi drivers are crime victims. Like pizza delivery drivers, they can be summoned to a location and often carry cash.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Extrajudicial

In other news, Police: Gun owner saved cop from attack by kids
Quote:
"There were 40 kids. If it wasn't for the good Samaritan stepping forward, he'd have been dead meat," Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said. "There's no doubt they would have attacked him."
That afternoon alone, police responded to three fights in three locations near the school. When the dust settled, eight teens, ages 13 to 17, were charged with crimes, and two officers were injured so severely that it's unclear when they'll be able to return to work, Chitwood said.

The most egregious of the incidents took place on Wayne Avenue near Marshall Road, less than a mile from the high school.

An officer who broke up a fight between two teen boys that had attracted a large crowd at that location was holding one of the combatants at bay when the teen's opponent attacked the officer, Chitwood said.

"As he breaks up the fight, he takes one kid and then the other jumps [on] him. Now he's fighting two of them and he's calling for an assist officer at the same time," Chitwood said. "There's a crowd of 40 or 50 kids watching the fight, and they all move in towards the officer."

That's when the good Samaritan, who lives on the block, came out of his house with a gun in his hand and told the teens to get away from the cop, Chitwood said.

"He had the gun in his hand, but he didn't point it at the kids, he just told them to back off," Chitwood said. "If this guy didn't come out and come to the aid of the officer, this officer would have had significant problems."
DGU with no gun related injuries. While it's a good thing that the person was able to defend the police, that's a tough call stepping in between a cop and 40 kids looking to do harm. It could have ended much worse. And on a related note, the Police Superintendent Chitwood has made some comments revealing he is not a friend to gun owners. This is a time where one defended one of his officers.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
In other news, Police: Gun owner saved cop from attack by kids

DGU with no gun related injuries. While it's a good thing that the person was able to defend the police, that's a tough call stepping in between a cop and 40 kids looking to do harm. It could have ended much worse. And on a related note, the Police Superintendent Chitwood has made some comments revealing he is not a friend to gun owners. This is a time where one defended one of his officers.
Filthydelphia is not a safe place. They also have a long history there of trying to ignore state preemption.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Homeowner defends himself from a cab driver and another man who pursued him, then forced their way into his home:
Quote:
A South Carolina man who shot and killed his cab driver and another man who were apparently chasing down his unpaid fare has been granted bail after invoking the “Stand Your Ground” defense.
DGU, two dead.
Quote:
“If he wouldn’t have burned those bodies, he would be a free man." [his attorney] said.
He is expected to post bail next week.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

"“They were essentially just slow-cooked inside the grave site,” Deputy Solicitor Bryan Alfaro said Monday."