Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:45 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
He's a genetically altered laboratory mouse with visions of conquering the world, but that's not important right now.
  #402  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 AM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,885
Actually, it's what brings zombies and people together, but that's not important right now.
  #403  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:39 AM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
A little late to the party. . . but my two cents

Boo fuckin' hoo! If being "mean" is calling you out on omissions, errors, bullshit and persistence in both of them, and it finally dawns on you that you are that dumb, then I am the meanest S.O.B. on the boards.

Let me refresh your memory of what actually happened to put you on the radar (and not your attempt at revisionist history):
  1. After mis-comprehending a question and making an unrelated response, in post #22 he tries to tell us that the AEA of '46 allows POTUS to authorize a strike, and posts a lobby group's article as his first source. He apparently skimmed over that article, since Paragraph 2 and 3 of that article directly contradict his claims. I bring this to his attention later in post #83.
  2. He then tries a personal attack in post #89, which fails. Then in post #90 he reasserts his incorrect opinon, without really any citation or backup. I ask him to actually read the AEA of '46 and to provide a citation. He then does some handwaving about hippies at the front gate in what I presume is a redirect tactic.
  3. He then skims the AEA of '46 to provide "evidence" without reading the context of the section, or the Act for that matter. He bases his argument on "probably come from" and a "seems to give him" statements--far less than hard evidence. I bring this to his attention.
  4. He then scrambles to find actual evidence to support his claims, and indicates that he read it in the Washington Post (which hadn't appeared in any discussion prior to this point). Again, he'd skimmed that article, missing the statement that "[the Act] firmly put the power of the atomic bomb in the hands of the president and the civilian components of the executive branch"underlining by Tripler. He also either misses or ignores the statement from the WaPo article that "Eventually, the brass adopted the idea that, when it came to nuclear matters, they were at the beck and call of the president. It was not generals’ responsibility to make the order; it was their responsibility to carry it out."
  5. After being baited and taken in by his first redirect, I realize it, and get back to the initial point about the POTUS having the ability to launch with the War Powers Act of 73.
  6. Then there's some back and forth from posts #115 - 121, with Ravenman stepping in to help him understand the meaning of the WaPo article.
  7. Finally in #122, he attempts another redirect because he gets caught with his pants down, and I let it go, while the conversation rolls into some other irrelevant side discussions.

Why do I bring up the WaPo article? Because it's too late in the game, and because at no point does that article state the AEA of '46 allow POTUS to launch, nor does it imply Congress passing that particular law to allow him to do so. When called out, he scrambles to find anything that he thinks will bolster his case after the fact. However, SamuelA's lack of reading comprehension and flair for grandstanding false expertise while making fantastical claims makes me immediately suspicious of anything he says or references. Everything he says or posts is suspect.

Ahem. . . Cite?
I'm going to say that you did a solid effort here, and you're right, I don't know why the President is allowed to launch a nuke. That's totally crazy that he even can.

Unlike most of the other posters here, you actually do have a reasonable, coherent argument. It happens to be 'proof I'm a poo-poo head' but at least you have some basis for your conclusion.

Now my motivations were different than your guesses. (1) I did read the Washington Post article first, I didn't lie about that. But that lobby group's article, that I only skimmed, seemed more credible. (2) Sorry about any personal attacks. (3) Yep, my bad

(4) "Eventually, the brass adopted the idea that, when it came to nuclear matters, they were at the beck and call of the president. It was not generals’ responsibility to make the order; it was their responsibility to carry it out."

Isn't this exactly the point I was making? Like, wasn't this the entire topic of discussion? Not sure why you put this here.

(5) It's the War Powers Act of 1973?


Wait. So the original topic of discussion was that you said that Congress was helpless to stop the President from killing us all. Something that is a real, though small risk.

So yeah, you got me. I did a shitty job in these responses and you're right.

But now I'm wondering...was I right, by accident (broken clocks and all), in my first assertion that Congress can pass a law to take the power of ordering a first strike away from the President? Because if it's the 1973 War Powers Act that gives the President this power, not the 1946 Act which you claim doesn't...why can't Congress repeal it?

The original topic of discussion wasn't supposed to be "who's a Poo-Poo head". It was the question : "we've got one of the most unstable Presidents ever to sit the office. A sane nuclear strategy would be 'no first use', as if that President ordered an all out first strike on Russia, it would kill America with it. Can Congress do something to take away the President's power to murder most of the population of the United States on a whim?"

And yeah, I screwed up and should have read my sources and made less grandiose claims and shouldn't have said mean things to you.

But does this original topic have an answer?

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.
  #404  
Old 01-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 13,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
We'll see how long this "ignore list" thing works, eh!
He's back complete with a "maybe we're on the same side after all" argument.
  #405  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:19 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,197
He's grading his critics now. Every time you insult him you have to think of it as a competition, like this. But remember, it's a crowded field!

I still think this one deserves a perfect 10, but it's in a different thread so I don't think it qualifies under Olympic rules.
  #406  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 13,000
That was a good one.

I love this bit from Sammy's latest response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
And yeah, I screwed up and should have read my sources and made less grandiose claims and shouldn't have said mean things to you.
Bwahahahahaha.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 01-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
  #407  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:30 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
He's grading his critics now. Every time you insult him you have to think of it as a competition, like this. But remember, it's a crowded field!

I still think this one deserves a perfect 10, but it's in a different thread so I don't think it qualifies under Olympic rules.
You can't insult someone if you, in doing so, reveal you have worse negative traits than the person you are insulting.

This is why all your 'cognitive science' arguments fall flat. Because if you knew anything about cognitive science, you wouldn't make such sweeping generalizations because you lack the evidence for them. You clearly know almost nothing about the subject yourself.

Notice how Tripler doesn't try to argue about the part of this discussion he knows nothing about? You would do well to follow his example. Whatever piece of neuroscience you think you understand, it clearly doesn't extend to the part I've been talking about the whole time.

So the reason that insult doesn't get a 10 is because it's baseless. I don't dodge questions like Houdini, I answer them. The rest of your insults just sound childish.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-03-2018 at 01:31 PM.
  #408  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Well Vizzini, perhaps you should re-examine your propensity for dismissively calling everyone else morons.

As I say, everyone on this Earth has something to teach you, even the little baby in the carriage. If you consider yourself so brilliant that you can't listen to anyone, then you're not actually brilliant, you're a damned fool.
  #409  
Old 01-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Ramira's Avatar
Ramira is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,744
SamA, he maintains his impressive standards....
  #410  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:02 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Whatever piece of neuroscience you think you understand, it clearly doesn't extend to the part I've been talking about the whole time.
You seem to have run into another problem with terminology there, pal. Seems to be a weakness of yours, not knowing what technical terms mean. At no point was I talking about "neuroscience". I was talking about cognitive science. Do you know the vast and fundamental difference? No, you apparently do not. Perhaps you thought neuroscience was what you were talking about -- it was hard to tell, because much of the time it was, frankly, nearly incoherent. But that clearly was never actually the subject of discussion. Actually I think your confusion about this was at least part of the reason you appeared to be so obtuse. Not understanding what "computation" means just compounded your confusion.

And your argument wasn't actually with me, if you go back and read for comprehension. Your argument was with Jerry Fodor, whom I quoted as flatly contradicting your blather, and who you dismissed as just a "philosopher" and not worth paying attention to. And who, as anyone familiar with the field would know -- but you obviously did not -- was one of the singular most important contributors to the computational theory of mind in cognitive science. Naturally, you claimed he was wrong. Because you took a signals course!

P.S.- After you were done looking up "computational" in the dictionary, did you take my advice and look up "moron"?
  #411  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Dallas Jones is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orygun forest
Posts: 4,986
I'm not going to take the time to slog through all 9 pages of this excellent thread to find out if someone has pointed out the utter lack of real life experience shown in post #5 of the tread below.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=846040

Master Plumber SamuelA tells us that the problem with frozen pipes is not that water expands when it freezes, but that it is the increased water pressure that blows the pipes. Water pressure.

No, Sam, water expands quite forcefully when under going the phase change from liquid to a frozen state. Ask the rocks on any mountain.

Most things contract when cooled, water has it's own funny way of being different. Usually the pipe break comes at some weak point, a tee, elbow, valve or even a weakened spot in a straight section.

Water pressure... He is still advising in all the various frozen pipe threads going on.
  #412  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,952
SamuelA is right-We should get back to original topic of this thread...which would be using his own posts to point out how much of a self-absorbed, ignorant blowhard he really is.
  #413  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:47 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
I'm not going to take the time to slog through all 9 pages of this excellent thread to find out if someone has pointed out the utter lack of real life experience shown in post #5 of the tread below.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=846040

Master Plumber SamuelA tells us that the problem with frozen pipes is not that water expands when it freezes, but that it is the increased water pressure that blows the pipes. Water pressure.

No, Sam, water expands quite forcefully when under going the phase change from liquid to a frozen state. Ask the rocks on any mountain.

Most things contract when cooled, water has it's own funny way of being different. Usually the pipe break comes at some weak point, a tee, elbow, valve or even a weakened spot in a straight section.

Water pressure... He is still advising in all the various frozen pipe threads going on.
And I cited my sources. Per the source, frozen pipes burst downstream of the actual ice dam. From lengthwise ice expansion leading to water pressure increases.

Not only does this make intuitive sense, if it is wrong, a credible source is also wrong. "real life experience" : I've had frozen pipes, so have you. 1 or 2 experiences does not make you an expert.

You just pitted yourself, revealing you are a moron and not qualified enough to comment. Ignored.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-03-2018 at 02:47 PM.
  #414  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:50 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
P.S.- After you were done looking up "computational" in the dictionary, did you take my advice and look up "moron"?
Cognitive science is just philosophy without considering the neuroscience underneath it. I'm just going to go ahead and add you to ignore, you simply don't make enough worthy arguments to be worth paying attention to.

Are you even in graduate school or did you not make it that far? What are your credentials?
  #415  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
You just pitted yourself, revealing you are a moron and not qualified enough to comment. Ignored.
Dude, seriously, fucking knock it off with your ignorant claims and constantly calling everyone else morons.

GROW THE FUCK UP, child.
  #416  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
You just pitted yourself, revealing you are a moron and not qualified enough to comment. Ignored.
You've been "ignored", Dallas Jones-now he'll never stop yapping at you.
  #417  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Dude, seriously, fucking knock it off with your ignorant claims and constantly calling everyone else morons.

GROW THE FUCK UP, child.
Pay attention to the evidence. Read above why I called him a moron. There was clear and convincing evidence. You're also too stupid to respond to any further, so adding to ignore.
  #418  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:53 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
The best part is that once he grows his big boy hairs and gets out of middle school, he canít delete any of his posts here and is stuck with 1,843 reminders of what a supercilious jerk he was.
Too stupid to pay attention to. Ignoring.
  #419  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:54 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I think if you did a little Christian fellowshipping with Czarcasm you'd find he's really easy to talk to and not at all insulting.
Religious people are stupid. Ignoring.
  #420  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramira View Post
It is amusing SamA thinks the above is an effective response and not something confirming that he is a childish idiot. He will in no doubt 'flounce' again.
Obviously this poster is incapable of reading or critical thinking, otherwise he'd be on my side. Adding to ignore.
  #421  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,885
Ooh, ooh, ooh! Can I board the Ignore Train? Please?
  #422  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Religious people are stupid. Ignoring.
Reality says you are an idiot.

Is that why you have Reality on ignore?
  #423  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:57 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Immensely entertaining. It's the gift that keeps on posting!



If only you limited your stupidity to just this one thread, we'd all be grateful. But no. You insist on polluting multiple board forums with your brand of ignorance. So much so that it's earned you your very own dedicated ass kicking.
My standardized test scores reveal you are the one who must be stupid. Going ahead and ignoring.
  #424  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Religious people are stupid. Ignoring.
Someone want to clue Bozo The Plumber in?
  #425  
Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,885
Shit, shit, shit... time is running out.

Sam, you're both obdurate AND 16 years old!

(Crosses fingers)
  #426  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
I'm not going to take the time to slog through all 9 pages of this excellent thread to find out if someone has pointed out the utter lack of real life experience shown in post #5 of the tread below.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=846040
"I linked the reference in my post. Try reading it."

Sammy just can't resist being smug and condescending every time he "speaks", can he? I suspect that this winning personality expands into his actions in meatspace, too--which helps explain why he rarely gets to use his huge dick.
  #427  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,952
Sam, you're a, a, a......mendicant!*



*...a free beer to the first person who gets the reference.
  #428  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Sam, you're a, a, a......mendicant!*



*...a free beer to the first person who gets the reference.
I don't drink, can I have cheese dip instead? And some mulch?
  #429  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:03 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Shit, shit, shit... time is running out.

Sam, you're both obdurate AND 16 years old!

(Crosses fingers)
I read through the whole thread. You made too many reasonable sounding, positive posts. Even when you were offensive you admitted you could be wrong about things. You even made funny references to Weird Science.

Thread reads much cleaner with just Tripler, you, K9friendfinder, LSLguy, and a few randoms on the first page. No longer does it read like childish insults on a bathroom wall.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-03-2018 at 03:04 PM.
  #430  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,952
Sorry, guys-you're stuck with him. He'll be like the village idiot you never had.
  #431  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,885
...fuuuuuuuuuuuddddddgggggge...
  #432  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Ramira's Avatar
Ramira is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
My standardized test scores reveal you are the one who must be stupid.
it is so delicious and so funny he actually thinks he is making some score here.
  #433  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I don't drink, can I have cheese dip instead? And some mulch?
We have a winnah!
  #434  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:15 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Sorry, guys-you're stuck with him. He'll be like the village idiot you never had.
Clothahump's gonna be pissed he's been replaced.
  #435  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:43 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
I don't know Computer Science, and I don't know the criteria for 'Turing Complete.' But I do know the argumentative redirects of an obstinate royal diva when I see one, and later today I intend to drag your ass back through your nuclear nonsense to get some answers out of you. Case in point, your wild assumptions applied through Fermi "estimates" have reduced respectable Fermi estimates to nothing more than "WAGs" (wild assed guesses). Poor Enrico is spinning in his grave. I will get to those nuclear inconsistencies this afternoon.
I'm enjoying your posts, Tripler, and hope you have time to give us more. As for not knowing computer science, no worries. SamuelA doesn't, either. That's the nice thing about posts that he can't delete that remain a permanent testament to that fact. For instance, herewith a brief history of our discussion about what "computational" means.

First, SamuelA makes the clearly false statement that all cognitive processes are computational.

When told he is wrong, he asks for "MIT papers" on the subject. Why MIT? But never mind -- I give him one of Kosslyn's papers, and explain it.

Then over here, I quote the late Jerry Fodor, a major figure in cognitive science, flatly contradicting SamuelA's blithering nonsense.

It gets better -- much better! Now SamuelA shows the world that he doesn't understand what "Turing complete" means and thinks it's equivalent to truth tables, calls me a moron, and dismisses Fodor as just a "philosopher" that I'm "parrotting"!

And then it really turns hilarious when it gets down to what the term "computational" actually means in the formal context of computer and cognitive sciences. SamuelA concocts an other-worldly nonsensical definition here. I am then duly warned in that same post, in a line that will go down in SDMB history: Don't challenge a computer engineer on their understanding of computation.

And, neatly doubling down on the stupid, he even asserts that he doesn't give a rat's ass (his own words) about things like symbol processing, which turns out to be part of the fundamental essence of computation in computer science.

Flailing around with uncertainty now about what the word "computation" really means, SamuelA finally looks it up in Wikipedia, and creates a new post to crow "I was right! I was right!". Now here's the thing, folks, and pay close attention: the Wikipedia article -- which even quotes Jerry Fodor on the subject -- says the exact opposite of SamuelA's claims. I don't know if he ever figured out that the sentences he cribbed out of Wikipedia actually prove he was wrong, but if he did, it was too late to delete the post!

And now, folks, the grand finale. Challenged with the above evidence, our self-professed "expert" in computer science and brilliant "computer engineer" who warns lesser mortals not to challenge his indomitable intellect, claims he was "fuzzy" on the meaning of "computation" because it was all "from a CS course 10 years ago"! But the proper meaning of the term is so fundamental to computer science that no one of any competence could not know its formal meaning! And this was the whole basis of that whole multi-page discussion, going back to the first point I made at the beginning of this post.

We've long known what an annoying obnoxious jerk this guy is, but this is clear proof of how ignorant he is, in case there was still any lingering doubt. BTW, he also doesn't know what "neuroscience" and "cognitive science" mean, or if there's even any difference. Not a blessed clue! But it's all good, because know this: he is brilliant, and he once took a signals course!
  #436  
Old 01-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Reality says you are an idiot.

Is that why you have Reality on ignore?
Lots of people are doing that these days. The proper term is "Conservative".
  #437  
Old 01-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
1 can refried black beans
1 pound hamburger
1 pound cheese of your choice
Red Pepper and Taco Sauce, other stuff (onions, etc)

Brown the hamburger, drain the liquid, add the refried beans. Stir as it warms to a smooth mixture. Then begin adding the cheese while the mix is hot, a little at a time while stirring it in. Add taco sauce, red pepper, or any other flavorings (onions, peppers, etc) you care for.

Makes @ 3 pounds of dip. Mixed with corn chips and maybe sour cream, it even makes a decent meal that I've had on more than one occasion.
  #438  
Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 13,000
I feel your pain, but I'm not done enjoying the show.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 01-03-2018 at 04:05 PM.
  #439  
Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,197
Just a quick note -- I mentioned the Wikipedia article on computation that SamuelA cribbed a couple of sentences out of, and which he didn't understand because it actually contradicted his claims, but I forgot to link it -- it's this.

I note that this pathetic fool now has half the board on ignore.
  #440  
Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Mr. Nylock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bed
Posts: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
1 can refried black beans
1 pound hamburger
1 pound cheese of your choice
Red Pepper and Taco Sauce, other stuff (onions, etc)

Brown the hamburger, drain the liquid, add the refried beans. Stir as it warms to a smooth mixture. Then begin adding the cheese while the mix is hot, a little at a time while stirring it in. Add taco sauce, red pepper, or any other flavorings (onions, peppers, etc) you care for.

Makes @ 3 pounds of dip. Mixed with corn chips and maybe sour cream, it even makes a decent meal that I've had on more than one occasion.
This would go great with a side of dry pasta.
__________________
I am a guest
  #441  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:40 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11,197
Just a word of encouragement to all our hardworking posters. You've all done well but SamuelA is going to need more support if he's going to win this race. This is how things currently stand among the dedicated threads for our current leading pittees:

Well in the lead and the current favorite for an easy win:
Shagnasty, the Misogynistic Prick, at 1270 posts

Just coming around the first bend in the #2 spot but far behind:
SamuelA, the Bloviating Moron, at 439 posts

In the #3 spot but pretty much out of the running:
Urbanredneck, the Trifecta of Ignorance, at 74 posts

Word from the stable is that if Bloviating Moron can get on the bridle in a comfortable fast trot there is still a chance that he can overtake the gelding Misogynistic Prick. But we need to cheer him on, folks. He needs your support. Give it your all.

Last edited by wolfpup; 01-03-2018 at 05:43 PM.
  #442  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
I have to admit, there is a certain entertainment value in watching a young person so full of themselves and convinced that they have learned everything of value; ranting and raving about how they know everything and everyone else is a moron.

As I told my 18 year old niece when she graduated high school and went off to college;

"Your world is this big (holds hands up to basketball size) and you know this much of it (moves hands very slightly inward), so you think you know everything. But this world is, well, as big as this planet, and you only know this much (holding up hands again). So be open to learning and accept that you don't actually know everything."

As that So Crates guy once said;

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Which leaves SamuelA straight out of the wisdom game.
  #443  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:12 PM
TroutMan's Avatar
TroutMan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,988
SamuelA, I could point to many specific examples where you are completely wrong about pretty much anything you profess to be knowledgeable about, and I could make reasoned arguments against any of your idiotic claims. But I don't want to risk getting the JohnT treatment. It's much better to have you miss my posts and not saddle me with inane responses, so I'll stick with childish insults.

Your level of stupidity coupled with unawareness is unparalleled on this board. I've seen the occasional poster dumber than you, but none so convinced of their superiority with so little justification. Your claims of victory after being schooled on your ignorance are transparent to the intelligent posters here. Even the below-average posters on this site could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a more scientifically correct response than any of your posts.
  #444  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:29 PM
SamuelA is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Your claims of victory after being schooled on your ignorance are transparent to the intelligent posters here.
But I wasn't schooled. I showed the posters that they were wrong, with specific evidence and arguments. They were wrong, except in a few cases, where I did admit fault.

Since you can't see that, guess you aren't an intelligent poster.

Ignored.
  #445  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:39 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,885
Dammit!
  #446  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:42 PM
TroutMan's Avatar
TroutMan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,988
W00t! In your face, JohnT!
  #447  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 11,933
A truly intelligent poster would have been able to work a fish pun into the ignoring announcement.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 01-03-2018 at 06:46 PM.
  #448  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:49 PM
crowmanyclouds's Avatar
crowmanyclouds is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,702
People, poeple, we are blessed to have the smartest man on the planet posting pearls of teh smart just for us . . . 'course just why the "smartest man on the planet" is busy posting on a message board instead of doing sciency stuff, well.....
Maybe SamuelA is the SMotP's computerized brain simulator? Yeah, I got nothing!

CMC fnord!
  #449  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Is there any way that we can attract more posters to this thread to get ignored by our omnimoris poster?
  #450  
Old 01-03-2018, 07:33 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
SamuelA, I could point to many specific examples where you are completely wrong about pretty much anything you profess to be knowledgeable about, and I could make reasoned arguments against any of your idiotic claims. But I don't want to risk getting the JohnT treatment. It's much better to have you miss my posts and not saddle me with inane responses, so I'll stick with childish insults.

Your level of stupidity coupled with unawareness is unparalleled on this board. I've seen the occasional poster dumber than you, but none so convinced of their superiority with so little justification. Your claims of victory after being schooled on your ignorance are transparent to the intelligent posters here. Even the below-average posters on this site could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a more scientifically correct response than any of your posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
But I wasn't schooled. I showed the posters that they were wrong, with specific evidence and arguments. They were wrong, except in a few cases, where I did admit fault.

Since you can't see that, guess you aren't an intelligent poster.

Ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Dammit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
W00t! In your face, JohnT!
I will say, his ignore list is a post-it note taped to the side of his laptop monitor. He will still read and respond to you... you know, on your posts that are worthy of being un-ignored. We've seen this on this thread, as a matter of fact.

So, don't w00t at me too soon...

Last edited by JohnT; 01-03-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017