Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Does US Culture Value African American Male Beauty More?

I certainly don't have any cites to prove this one. It is in fact mainly an observation I have made. But I will show you what leads me to it.

Interracial marriages in the US are predominantly Black male/white female. This is actually what started me thinking along these lines.

When Black men reach a place of prominence in the US, they are usually male. Fredrick Douglas, Thurgood Marshall, just to name a couple.

Also, I find many Black men attractive, but have never notice Black women too much in my life. I know I am gay now, so that is not surprising. But I noticed it early on, too.

Plus, I invite you, the reader, to share their own experiences and views on the matter, when helpful or what adds to (or even against) my theory.

Does US culture value Black male beauty more than female? As I said, it is mainly a personal theory. But I have found it to be true again and again. (Consider Anita Hill v. Clarence Thomas too. It wasn't a matter of beauty per se. But it does show a tendency to lean towards Black men more than women.)

Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
When Black men reach a place of prominence in the US, they are usually male.
They ought'a, being men and being male is usually linked.

Quote:
Fredrick Douglas, Thurgood Marshall, just to name a couple.
Neither of which has ever been held as a sex symbol that I can tell, and both of which came to prominence in contexts in which becoming a famous woman was much more difficult than becoming a famous man.

You may want to check the strength of your coffee and to stop confusing "I know this person's name" with "this person would generally be considered good-looking".
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Whoops! I could have sworn I was putting this in the "Great Debates" section. But we'll see how it does here for a while, I guess.

Quote:
When Black men reach a place of prominence in the US, they are usually male.
Quote:
They ought'a, being men and being male is usually linked.
Sorry, Nava. That should obviously be when Black people reach a place of prominence. Thanks for catching my typo.

Last edited by Jim B.; 05-20-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Typo (again).
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Quote:
Whoops! I could have sworn I was putting this in the "Great Debates" section. But we'll see how it does here for a while, I guess.
I think this is going to end up in GD one way or the other, and it's a better forum for the question to start with.

Moving thread from GQ to GD.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

And when white people reach places of prominence, they're usually men, too. All that says is that society is sexist, which we kind of already knew.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 AM

U.S. Census 2018 Interracial Couples Information

Quote:
The percentage of married-couple households that are interracial or interethnic grew across the United States from 7.4 to 10.2 percent from 2000 to 2012-2016. This change varied across states and counties and for specific interracial/interethnic combinations.
I'm hoping that this steady increase is bad news for the White Supremacist agenda.

You are correct about there being an almost 2:1 disparity between BM/WF and WM/BF marriages, but that gap is steadily closing.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 AM

One factor might be that professional athletes are predominantly black, and so people see them a lot on TV, and usually in the context of their athletic and physical prowess.

But about the interracial dating and the lopsided gender ratio - I get the impression it's not so much that white women want black men as it is that white men don't want black women.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

At least, not to marry. I suspect that the majority of interracial sex in this country's history has been white men with black women.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
One factor might be that professional athletes are predominantly black, and so people see them a lot on TV, and usually in the context of their athletic and physical prowess.

But about the interracial dating and the lopsided gender ratio - I get the impression it's not so much that white women want black men as it is that white men don't want black women.
White men want black women. But black women carry a stigma wrt their sexuality that black men don't have.

Black women have been stereotyped in three harmful ways. First, there is the Mammy stereotype. Loving and nurturing in a motherly way, but lacking all aspects of a sexuality or physical beauty. Second, there is Jezebel. The temptress whore who basically lives to entrap an otherwise upstanding man with her wicked nastiness. Her attractiveness is purely sexual. And then there is Sapphire, who is loud, brash, mannishly aggressive, mannish-looking, overbearing, "sassy" and unattractive. These images are burned into the American psyche and still show up in popular media.

The internet sphere seems to be heavily infested with guys who just can't help but to express their negative feelings about black womens' looks. I really don't get it. I don't get what compels guys to express this opinion so emphaticallyand incessantly and I don't get how someone can even hold this opinion, given the diversity contained in the category "black women". Nia Long, Beyonce, Halle Berry, Angela Basset, Queen Latifah, and Lupita Nyong'o look nothing alike but they are all black women. And though I understand that beauty is subjective, I can't conceive of a mind that sincerely believes these women are unattractive. I can conceive of a mind that is so saturated with anti-black women imagery that it refuses to acknowledge black feminine beauty, because to do so is to require the admission that one has the hots for one of the stereotypes I mentioned earlier. And for a certain kind of guy, that's only something losers would do.

(For a similar reason, you don't see a whole lot of guys fawning over fat women, despite the fact that they frequently date, have sex with, and marry fat women. Guys claim they are only attracted to certain types, but their boners frequently say otherwise.)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Nia Long, Beyonce, Halle Berry, Angela Basset, Queen Latifah, and Lupita Nyong'o look nothing alike but they are all black women.
I'm a white guy and I think Beyonce and Halle Berry are hot. Nia Long and Lupita Nyong'o are pretty. Neither Angela Basset nor Queen Latifah do anything for me, but there is nothing wrong with them.

Quote:
(For a similar reason, you don't see a whole lot of guys fawning over fat women, despite the fact that they frequently date, have sex with, and marry fat women. Guys claim they are only attracted to certain types, but their boners frequently say otherwise.)
Not always a direct correlation between "attracted to" and "will sleep with"
Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I'm a white guy and I think Beyonce and Halle Berry are hot. Nia Long and Lupita Nyong'o are pretty. Neither Angela Basset nor Queen Latifah do anything for me, but there is nothing wrong with them.

Not always a direct correlation between "attracted to" and "will sleep with"
Right. Which begs the questions why guys make such a big deal over who they are and are not attracted to. I know women play this game too, but not nearly to the same extent.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Right. Which begs the questions why guys make such a big deal over who they are and are not attracted to. I know women play this game too, but not nearly to the same extent.
Where did you get your impression that guys make such a big deal over who they are and are not attracted to?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Beyonce.

As for interraical marriages, there was traditionally a strong stigma in the Black community against a black woman marrying a white man.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Where did you get your impression that guys make such a big deal over who they are and are not attracted to?
Because I have spent five minutes on the internet and I can read the words that appear in my screen.

Seriously, are suggesting men gushing over "hawt" chicks is just figment of my imagination? Just give it to me straight so I know how much time I should waste on you.

Last edited by monstro; 05-20-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
White men want black women. But black women carry a stigma wrt their sexuality that black men don't have.

Black women have been stereotyped in three harmful ways. First, there is the Mammy stereotype. Loving and nurturing in a motherly way, but lacking all aspects of a sexuality or physical beauty. Second, there is Jezebel. The temptress whore who basically lives to entrap an otherwise upstanding man with her wicked nastiness. Her attractiveness is purely sexual. And then there is Sapphire, who is loud, brash, mannishly aggressive, mannish-looking, overbearing, "sassy" and unattractive. These images are burned into the American psyche and still show up in popular media.

The internet sphere seems to be heavily infested with guys who just can't help but to express their negative feelings about black womens' looks. I really don't get it. I don't get what compels guys to express this opinion so emphaticallyand incessantly and I don't get how someone can even hold this opinion, given the diversity contained in the category "black women". Nia Long, Beyonce, Halle Berry, Angela Basset, Queen Latifah, and Lupita Nyong'o look nothing alike but they are all black women. And though I understand that beauty is subjective, I can't conceive of a mind that sincerely believes these women are unattractive. I can conceive of a mind that is so saturated with anti-black women imagery that it refuses to acknowledge black feminine beauty, because to do so is to require the admission that one has the hots for one of the stereotypes I mentioned earlier. And for a certain kind of guy, that's only something losers would do.

what's interesting if not ridiculous on some sports forums I read when a white poster says "Serena Williams looks like a man"--what men is hanging with that have 40D cup breasts?
Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Have you ever heard of Robert DeNiro (nicknamed Coal Miner by Hollywood for his preference for Black women). Presumably, OP is only talking about contemporary society. It's ironic (actually hypocritical) for KKK and supporters ranted against "race mixing" but they were ones raping Black women. When it comes to sex, white men are equal opportunity (I'm white myself married to black woman)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Consider your first post in this thread:

Quote:
I'm a white guy and I think Beyonce and Halle Berry are hot. Nia Long and Lupita Nyong'o are pretty. Neither Angela Basset nor Queen Latifah do anything for me...
Can I say you’re “making a big deal”? No, but you are doing that thing that a lot of white men do: treating your individual opinion about the hotness of black women as if it’s actually important, interesting, or informative. It’s a bizarre kind of oversharing, this impulse to grade and then talk about these grades as if they are actually relevant.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I certainly don't have any cites to prove this one. It is in fact mainly an observation I have made. But I will show you what leads me to it.

Interracial marriages in the US are predominantly Black male/white female. This is actually what started me thinking along these lines.

When Black men reach a place of prominence in the US, they are usually male. Fredrick Douglas, Thurgood Marshall, just to name a couple.

Also, I find many Black men attractive, but have never notice Black women too much in my life. I know I am gay now, so that is not surprising. But I noticed it early on, too.

Plus, I invite you, the reader, to share their own experiences and views on the matter, when helpful or what adds to (or even against) my theory.

Does US culture value Black male beauty more than female? As I said, it is mainly a personal theory. But I have found it to be true again and again. (Consider Anita Hill v. Clarence Thomas too. It wasn't a matter of beauty per se. But it does show a tendency to lean towards Black men more than women.)

Beauty is completely subjective. I think the 'US Culture' is heavily influenced by basic European views of beauty. Not really that surprising. In fact, those same values permeate much of the globe, as you can see if you visit other countries and see movies or pictures of blonde model types all over the place.

The majority of Americans, as with many places around the world, is that female ideal. Personally, it is not my thing, but I think that is why black females aren't generally looked at in the same way, except those that attempt to or naturally do conform to parts of the idea (i.e. long hair, trim hourglass figure, with narrow waist, large but firm breasts and a swell of hips...but not TOO much of a swell). Hispanic women are kind of in the same boat wrt mainstream US female ideals, with, again, some very identifiable exceptions. That said, I've noticed a shift in this to a more voluptuous female model in the last few decades, though it doesn't seem to have penetrated the fashion scene that much (though, honestly, I wouldn't know if it had).

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Because I have spent five minutes on the internet and I can read the words that appear in my screen.

Seriously, are suggesting men gushing over "hawt" chicks is just figment of my imagination? Just give it to me straight so I know how much time I should waste on you.
Just so I understand, guy saying who they think is hot is making a big deal about who they find attractive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
Can I say you’re “making a big deal”? No, but you are doing that thing that a lot of white men do: treating your individual opinion about the hotness of black women as if it’s actually important, interesting, or informative. It’s a bizarre kind of oversharing, this impulse to grade and then talk about these grades as if they are actually relevant.
I don't think it's important. But I thought I was giving information to someone who thought that white men only expressed their opinion on the unattractiveness of black women.

Also, big deal. A lot of white men do a lot of stupid stuff. Why is our opinion of black women any more important?

Last edited by manson1972; 05-20-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972
Just so I understand, guy saying who they think is hot is making a big deal about who they find attractive?
A guy who has a tendency to express this kind of opinion in an unsolicited fashion is revealing that he puts a lot of value on attractiveness, yes.

Ask any woman over a certain age whether men make a big deal over who they find attractive, and I guaran-damn-tee the answer will be yes. Because it is damn-near impossible to go through a life as a woman without being catcalled or hearing some rando dude say "what's up, beautiful" or listen to a guy talk about women's bodies in an objectifying manner.

I can't seriously believe you're questioning something as basic as this, but I guess I'll keep playing along.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
A guy who has a tendency to express this kind of opinion in an unsolicited fashion is revealing that he puts a lot of value on attractiveness, yes.

Ask any woman over a certain age whether men make a big deal over who they find attractive, and I guaran-damn-tee the answer will be yes. Because it is damn-near impossible to go through a life as a woman without being catcalled or hearing some rando dude say "what's up, beautiful" or listen to a guy talk about women's bodies in an objectifying manner.

I can't seriously believe you're questioning something as basic as this, but I guess I'll keep playing along.
Well, here's a hint. Guys put a lot of value on attractiveness when it comes to relationships. Not so much when it comes to having sex with some woman. Can't believe you find this amazing, but I'll keep playing along.

Last edited by manson1972; 05-20-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 PM

I don't think that a man (Manson) chiming in about black women that he finds attractive, is irrelevent or unsolicited in a thread where the OP itself asks "Plus, I invite you, the reader, to share their own experiences and views on the matter".
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I don't think that a man (Manson) chiming in about black women that he finds attractive, is irrelevent or unsolicited in a thread where the OP itself asks "Plus, I invite you, the reader, to share their own experiences and views on the matter".
Well, thanks. I didn't think so either, but maybe I'm wrong. But any man, of any race, who doesn't think Beyonce is hot has something wrong with them IMHO of course.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 PM

With that being said, the whole OP is very bizarrely worded, and gives off steaming waves of "posting while drunk and/or high". No offense....it happens...that's just the impression I get.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I can conceive of a mind that is so saturated with anti-black women imagery that it refuses to acknowledge black feminine beauty, because to do so is to require the admission that one has the hots for one of the stereotypes I mentioned earlier. And for a certain kind of guy, that's only something losers would do.
I keep thinking of the movie Stuck based on the story of Chante Mallard who became infamous after running over a homeless man with her car and then driving to her house while he was still stuck in her windshield while he slowly died. Mallard is a black woman and the movie decided to go with Mena Suvari to play her. But they gave Suvari cornrows so progress? I think the casting choice there is a good example of anti-black imagery.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Well, here's a hint. Guys put a lot of value on attractiveness when it comes to relationships. Not so much when it comes to having sex with some woman. Can't believe you find this amazing, but I'll keep playing along.
My dad frequently gushes over the beauty of Alicia Silverstone. It creeps me out because we're the same age.

Guess who my father is married to, though. Guess who he fathered four children with. It wasn't Alicia Silverstone or anyone who resembles her. Funny, he always seems to gush over the pale-skinned, blonde-haired beauties on TV and on movies. None of his celebrity crushes ever deviate from this boring-ass formula....probably because Hollywood really hasn't either.

So...guys fuck whatever wet hole they can find, but only settle down with the best looking ones. Did I get that right? I guess this is one of those things a guy can say, but a woman is an evil bitch ever she were to ever utter such a thing out loud. But I think it's a garbage generalization. I believe the real truth is that guys aren't as particular about appearance as they like to put on AND they tend to settle down with women they feel comfortable bringing around friends and family. We're seeing more black woman-white guy pairings not because white guys are suddenly discovering the hotness of black women. We're seeing more of them because black women have improved social status.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Did you see the point that he responded to? monstro listed several actresses and said they looked nothing alike and thus she can’t understand summarily dismissing them as unattractive as a group.

manson then regales us with his appraisal on the hotness of each of those actresses. It has nothing to really do monstro’s point, though. If his opinion is simply that there he sees the diversity in BW and recognizes some as hot and some as not—presumably, more or less like any other group of women, no?—then you’d think he would just say this. Still not a very rich contribution but at least it would directly connect to the point made. But no, he needs us to know more than than that; he wants us to know how he specifically rates the list of actresses mentioned because he thinks that we all care about whether that specific list of actresses do it for him.

To see him very shortly thereafter question the idea that white men make a big deal about who they find hot...I’m sorry, all this begs to be called out. I’ve posted on this board (and elsewhere) for over a decade and a half now. The pattern is hard to miss.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I believe the real truth is that guys aren't as particular about appearance as they like to put on AND they tend to settle down with women they feel comfortable bringing around friends and family.
Very true. With all the talk men do about the hotness of women with the perfect hip to waist ratio, you’d think apple shaped gals would all be lonely female incels. But nope. In my neck of the woods, they never seem to lack male company.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Very true. With all the talk men do about the hotness of women with the perfect hip to waist ratio, you’d think apple shaped gals would all be lonely female incels. But nope. In my neck of the woods, they never seem to lack male company.
A lot of guys would have you believe that evolutionary forcing has mandated that their dicks only get hard for blonde-haired women with BMIs less than 26 and hourglass figures. They think this explains why women who fit this description dominate popular media.

But women who look like this (naturally or otherwise) make up a small fraction of the global population. In the UK, the hourglass figure is represented in only 8% of the female population. That doesn't jibe with an "Bro, it's our evolutionary imperative!" hypothesis at all.

It strikes me as much more logical to assume that many guys play up their attraction to whatever image society has deemed "hawt" to establish their "non-loser guy" bonafides than to assume guys are undiscriminating when it comes to sex but place a premium on the attractiveness of their potential life partners. No, both flings and life partners are chosen based on attraction, while a bunch of socio-cultural factors also go into the selection of life partners. Someone--male or female--who cares about maintaining their social status isn't going to settle down with someone who threatens that status. Until recently, white guys could not maintain their social status by pairing themselves with black women since they couldn't take them home to friends and Mama without facing a lot of hostility and disappointment.

I just watched the indie movie Raising Victor Vargas. The movie starts off with a teenage boy being mocked by his siblings and friends because he's seen poking his head out of the bedroom window of the neighborhood "fat girl". He immediately scrambles to "redeem" himself by pursuing the neighborhood "hawt girl"--the one he can brag about to all his friends and bring home to Mama. Do all guys chase status like this? Of course not. But is it a prevalent enough pattern that many guys can relate to this experience? I'm guessing it is, since movies don't get created in a vacuum.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Does US culture value Black male beauty more than female? As I said, it is mainly a personal theory. But I have found it to be true again and again.
The stereotypical perception of the black look is "big and strong". This is currently considered a very attractive quality in men but much less so in women.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
So...guys fuck whatever wet hole they can find, but only settle down with the best looking ones. Did I get that right?
Pretty much, yeah. You find this surprising?

Quote:
I guess this is one of those things a guy can say, but a woman is an evil bitch ever she were to ever utter such a thing out loud
Utter what such thing? I'm not following this.

Quote:
But I think it's a garbage generalization. I believe the real truth is that guys aren't as particular about appearance as they like to put on AND they tend to settle down with women they feel comfortable bringing around friends and family. We're seeing more black woman-white guy pairings not because white guys are suddenly discovering the hotness of black women. We're seeing more of them because black women have improved social status.
Well, I'm sure you know more about the motivations of white men than I do. I think we are seeing more because it's becoming more socially acceptable for a white guy to date a black woman.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
To see him very shortly thereafter question the idea that white men make a big deal about who they find hot...I’m sorry, all this begs to be called out. I’ve posted on this board (and elsewhere) for over a decade and a half now. The pattern is hard to miss.
This only holds true if you think "Telling people on a message board who I find attractive from a list that someone posted" is "making a big deal about who they find hot"

I don't share that view.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
This only holds true if you think "Telling people on a message board who I find attractive from a list that someone posted" is "making a big deal about who they find hot"

I don't share that view.
I don't think this is a huge deal, but I do think there's something in our society that tells men that it's perfectly acceptable, and even welcome, to comment on which women we find "hot", when in actuality these kind of comments can often reasonably be seen as objectifying. I don't think you meant anything bad by it, but I think this sort of societal lean towards "men can comment on women's bodies as much as they want" is a negative thing that we should resist.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-21-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't think this is a huge deal, but I do think there's something in our society that tells men that it's perfectly acceptable, and even welcome, to comment on which women we find "hot", when in actuality these kind of comments can often reasonably be seen as objectifying. I don't think you meant anything bad by it, but I think this sort of societal lean towards "men can comment on women's bodies as much as they want" is a negative thing that we should resist.
Well, I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with acknowledging the attractiveness of a woman. Nor acknowledging her intelligence or work ethic or any other attribute. If someone asked me, I'd tell them what I thought. I don't just sit around and loudly exclaim to all and sundry "Know who I think is hot?? <insert anyone>!!!"

When responding to a post that seemed to imply that white men inexplicably don't find those particular black women attractive it seems relevant what THIS white man thought. Of course, when people base their thoughts about what motivates white men on what they see in TV shows and movies, maybe there isn't any point in discussing it.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
You doth protest too much.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with acknowledging the attractiveness of a woman. Nor acknowledging her intelligence or work ethic or any other attribute. If someone asked me, I'd tell them what I thought.
I don't know. Maybe in a perfectly fair and equal society. But in our society, I think we have to be extra-extra-careful with this kind of thing, because women's bodies are already considered a sort of public property in so many ways.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't know. Maybe in a perfectly fair and equal society. But in our society, I think we have to be extra-extra-careful with this kind of thing, because women's bodies are already considered a sort of public property in so many ways.
Sure. That's why if someone asked me "Hey, what do you think about Jane's work ethic?" I wouldn't answer "I don't know, but damn is she hot!"
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
When responding to a post that seemed to imply that white men inexplicably don't find those particular black women attractive it seems relevant what THIS white man thought.
This was the thesis of her post:

Quote:
The internet sphere seems to be heavily infested with guys who just can't help but to express their negative feelings about black womens' looks.
She didn't imply what you said, and in fact, her claim is the exact opposite: she's saying white men are attracted to BW but go out of their way to broadcast negative opinions about them.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
She didn't imply what you said, and in fact, her claim is the exact opposite: she's saying white men are attracted to BW but go out of their way to broadcast negative opinions about them.
Ok.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM

I believe who we think of as hot is partly hard-wired, but also partly based on whom we see in real life and in the media. Growing up in a nearly 100-percent white area in the 70s and 80s, I had almost zero visual exposure to black women. There were no prominent, mainstream black actresses, and women's sports in general were almost entirely off the radar. So for me (and, I'm guessing, for many white men like me) it's not as intuitive* to equate "black" with "sexually attractive."

(My mom, on the other hand, who would be 78 if she were still around, always had a thing for Sidney Poitier.)

White men growing up in more recent decades have been exposed to far more black actresses and athletes, so even if they don't grow up in diverse areas they may be more open to seeing black women as attractive and potential partners.

*This doesn't, of course, mean that we can't learn.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM

OK Cupid did a study about which races were more likely to get a conversation started on their site. It found that Asian men had a strong preference for Asian women and a strong aversion to black women.
That Black men had a mild aversion to white women.
That Latino men had a slight preference for Latina women and a strong aversion to black women. That white men had a slight preference for Asian and white women, and a strong aversion to black women.
Asian women had a strong preference for Asian and white men, and a strong aversion to black men and latino men.
Black women had a strong preference for black men, a slight aversion to white men and a middle level aversion to Asian men.
Latina women had a middling preference for latino and white men, and a middling aversion to Asian and black men.
White women had a strong preference for white men, and a middling aversion to Asian and black men.

Tindr did a similar study and they found that Black, Latino, and White men were most likely to respond to Asian women. Asian men were most likely to respond to Latino women.
Asian, Black, Latino, and White men were all least likely to respond to Black women.
Asian, Latino, and White women were most likely to respond to White men, and Black women were most likely to respond to Black men.
Asian, Latino, and White women were least likely to respond to Black men, and Black women were least likely to respond to White men.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I keep thinking of the movie Stuck based on the story of Chante Mallard who became infamous after running over a homeless man with her car and then driving to her house while he was still stuck in her windshield while he slowly died. Mallard is a black woman and the movie decided to go with Mena Suvari to play her. But they gave Suvari cornrows so progress? I think the casting choice there is a good example of anti-black imagery.
Nitpick:

Stuck was no more than loosely inspired by the Mallard killing. The plot of the movie veers far away from real-life events pretty early in the narrative. Additionally, Suvari did not play Mallard -- Suvari played a character of another name altogether.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleglum View Post
OK Cupid did a study about which races were more likely to get a conversation started on their site.

Tindr did a similar study
Are those self-identifications or set by the site? In any case the labels do refer to a variety of things (some are more culture-based, some more looks-based), so the breakdowns aren't as clear-cut as it may seem at first (even without adding "mixed race" and similar).
Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Second most common interracial marriage behind white men married to Asian women and excluding “other” category. At least according to Wikipedia.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:37 PM
BANNED

I think Hollywood and Madison Ave have a much more keen understanding of what American society considers attractive than any individual. I keep hearing that they favor “whites” in their ads and movies, but maybe that is a wrong impression.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post

Beyonce.

As for interraical marriages, there was traditionally a strong stigma in the Black community against a black woman marrying a white man.
are you forgetting the Quadroon Balls in New Orleans? And light-skinned Blacks preferring light skinned or white partners (see Lena Horne family on third or fourth interracial marriage)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I think Hollywood and Madison Ave have a much more keen understanding of what American society considers attractive than any individual. I keep hearing that they favor “whites” in their ads and movies, but maybe that is a wrong impression.
actually if you at current ads, you will see plenty of interracial couples, mostly WM/BW, and surprisingly one commercial with Asian male/White woman
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
actually if you at current ads, you will see plenty of interracial couples, mostly WM/BW, and surprisingly one commercial with Asian male/White woman
This one for Hilton has a BM/WF couple with kids.Some ugliness in the comments section.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I'll be honest with you, when that story first broke I was shocked, 100% shocked, to find out that the driver was black. It just seemed to me a lot more like something you'd picture a white person doing.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman View Post
are you forgetting the Quadroon Balls in New Orleans? And light-skinned Blacks preferring light skinned or white partners (see Lena Horne family on third or fourth interracial marriage)
Um, you seem like a nice guy and all, but this post is kind of cray. Quadroon balls had nothing to do with light-skinned blacks having a preference for whites. They had everything to do with powerful white men wanting to get their freak on with "exotic" women--women who had very few options for social status and comfort outside of being a well-maintained side piece.

My third great-grandfather (white) and third great-grandmother (black) had an arrangement like this. She and another woman were his concubines, and they both had a number of children with this dude--who was a highly-respected pillar of the community and whose obituary only mentioned his siblings as surviving relatives. This "pillar of the community" also saw fit to have sexual relations with one of his daughters (my second great grand-aunt) and they had a son together. Now, maybe in 1870s Tennessee, there was some mutual ebony-and-ivory lovin' going on, but I suspect this was less about love and attraction on my great-grandmother's part and more about survival and pragmatism.

So I would not be citing a fucking quadroon ball as evidence that black people don't have a problem with interracial relationships. A lot of us do have a problem...and it is because of that kind of stuff.

Last edited by monstro; 05-22-2019 at 11:22 PM.