Old 08-08-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
A cameo by a famous face will do it for me.
I remember being totally immersed watching Gandhi when all of a sudden, here comes Candice Bergen in an Indian slum. It was like a bucket of cold water.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 08-08-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
There was at least one episode where they showed Jack eating a frozen dinner.

Besides, it's only 24 hours, and Jack is a bad ass. No time for pissing.
I remember him calmly sipping coffee from a styrofoam cup after being stabbed in the gut in one episode, but no other instance of him refueling himself.

I'll bet he was never shown recharging his cell phone either. The battery in mine would be dead long before the Sun came up.

He was always using it to communicate with Chloe while driving from point A to point B, so he would have needed at least three hands to do that and pee into a Mountain Dew can at the same time.

Talk about bad ass! My bladder would burst if I tried holding it in for 24 hours, even if I did drink only one cup of coffee in the early evening.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
I remember being totally immersed watching Gandhi when all of a sudden, here comes Candice Bergen in an Indian slum. It was like a bucket of cold water.
Candice Bergen played Mother Teresa?!?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
Mundane unrealistic things in unrealistic sci-fi movies.

Battleship:
Alien invasion vs USS Missouri museum ship=okay.
Screw-up criminal becomes a US Naval officer: Um, no.
Nice going. I just got out of prison, and I was hoping I could be put in command of a ship in a couple of weeks. Now I'm totally discouraged.

But could I at least be like Rihanna in the same movie, and do every single job on the ship, from command and control to small boat operations?
Old 08-09-2019, 03:17 AM

Another one that irks me is in any horror or slasher film when somebody says "Lets split up", it doesn't just take me out of the movie, it's such a stupid and overused cliche that it will usually make me turn the movie off
Old 08-09-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Candice Bergen played Mother Teresa?!?
She played Margaret Bourke-White, the photographer who took the photo of Gandhi at his spinning wheel.

Not sure why this would be a problem. Okay, you recognize the actress, but Bourne-White was white, blonde and, in that era, young, even if not as stunning as Bergen. I wouldn't say Bergen was miscast or that the character's inclusion was gratuitous.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
She played Margaret Bourke-White, the photographer who took the photo of Gandhi at his spinning wheel.

... Bourne-White was white, blonde and, in that era, young, even if not as stunning as Bergen.
I could make a Seinfeld joke here, but I'll refrain for now.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Ah, what the hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--ZDROlhjE

Old 08-09-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
"Captain! Here come the Panzer tanks!!"

Except they're Sherman tanks with German crosses.

Yeah, I know. They didn't spend the money to make 10 Panzers.
And this was probably in the '50s or '60s.

But, I'm briefly taken out of the movie.
The biggest offender was "Battle of the Bulge", not only are the German "Tigers" very clearly unmodified M48 Pattons, it got to the point that in one scene a German General is showing off the new German "wunderwaffe" he has at his disposal, so among the models of accurate V-1 and V-2 rockets, he also has right next to them a plastic scale model of an M48 Patton tank that's supposed to be a King Tiger tank but since the "real" Tigers are M48 Pattons they also have to make sure the scale model was also a Patton.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
And suddenly the baby looks 6 months old. Newborns do not look like that. But the new mother is holding a happy, clean, smiling, 6 month old baby!

"He's got your eyes!"
Eh, that's a child labor law thing. I don't have a problem with it.

Hotels that give out room numbers and room keys to every Tom, Rick and Harry. Nope. Privacy and safety issues. WEll, maybe a cheap hourly rate hotel might. I dunno.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
You? and The Mahatma?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't forget the green Volkswagen parked everywhere.
This one is more personal, but in Captain America: Winter Soldier there is a red Hyundai Santa Fe that shows up in about half a dozen different shots. I notice it because that's what I drove for 15 years. So I'd say "Hey, there's my car!" And then again a few minutes later, and half an hour later...
Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I remember him calmly sipping coffee from a styrofoam cup after being stabbed in the gut in one episode, but no other instance of him refueling himself.

I'll bet he was never shown recharging his cell phone either. The battery in mine would be dead long before the Sun came up.

He was always using it to communicate with Chloe while driving from point A to point B, so he would have needed at least three hands to do that and pee into a Mountain Dew can at the same time.

Talk about bad ass! My bladder would burst if I tried holding it in for 24 hours, even if I did drink only one cup of coffee in the early evening.
There's an actual video that is clips of everyone eating and drinking on 24. The scene I remember is here. I only noticed it when I first watched it because it looks like a Banquet frozen dinner, one that I have eaten in the past (and since, I guess).
Old 08-09-2019, 08:53 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Any time someone encounters an inoperative electronic device, the diagnosis is immediately "Must be a short." There are failure modes other than shorts, but I guess it's too hard for a writer to talk to a tech and get other suggestions.

The other thing that makes me crazy is a woman in uniform with long, flowing hair cascading over her shoulders. Pin that stuff up!!!
Old 08-09-2019, 10:01 AM

We all know phone numbers in movies have to start with "555" so everytime they give out a number starting with "555" its like breaking the 4th wall.

I was watching "The Walking Dead" and they were having a shootout with rival people (you hardly see zombies anymore) but what got me is they were all standing up. REAL people trained in infantry tactics would hit the ground or get behind cover. But then hardly anyone was hitting anyone anyways.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
My peeves relate mostly to the superhero genre, and includes the original medium. First peeve is lifting stuff - for me the most recent worst offender was when Supergirl lifted a submarine out of the water. There is no point on a submarine structurally sound enough to be supported by two hands.
Bio-electric Aura.

When combined with Supernatural Strength, it allows user to lift objects much larger than themselves like mountains or cruise liners and move them without the objects buckling like physics dictate they should.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
"Captain! Here come the Panzer tanks!!"
I hear/read that error a lot too when the term "Panzer" tank is conflated with "Panther" ( tank ). "Panzer tank" is like saying "tank tank".

The Panther was the German Mark V tank, whereas "Panzer" is the German term for tank ( literally, "armor" )
Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
I hear/read that error a lot too when the term "Panzer" tank is conflated with "Panther" ( tank ). "Panzer tank" is like saying "tank tank".

The Panther was the German Mark V tank, whereas "Panzer" is the German term for tank ( literally, "armor" )
Actually, a shortening of the term Panzerkampfwagen, or "armored combat vehicle." (Panzer by itself can also mean the shell on a turtle.)

Nice to know someone else here appreciates such things!

Last edited by terentii; 08-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
The biggest offender was "Battle of the Bulge", not only are the German "Tigers" very clearly unmodified M48 Pattons, it got to the point that in one scene a German General is showing off the new German "wunderwaffe" he has at his disposal, so among the models of accurate V-1 and V-2 rockets, he also has right next to them a plastic scale model of an M48 Patton tank that's supposed to be a King Tiger tank but since the "real" Tigers are M48 Pattons they also have to make sure the scale model was also a Patton.
... And the only tanks the Americans had were M24 Chaffees. Not a Sherman in sight, as I recall.

Kind of odd, since more than 50,000 of the things were built.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 PM

I collect license plates and many times I can tell when they use fake ones and it bugs me to no end. I might be mixing up my movies but I think there are NYC street scenes in the latest Spiderman movie. NY currently has the orange-gold plates with blue letters and a reverse field where the state name is. What pedants like me see is the alpha numeric sequence being wrong. When those plates were first introduced they did not resequence/ start over; they continued the sequence from the previous blue niagara falls to manhattan plates. Gold plate sequences first started with the letters Fxx-. (They are up to Jxx now). There are numerous vehicles shown with low letters starting sequences. Now one could have a vanity plate made with an earlier sequence but no way that every vehicle in NYC in the movie has a vanity plate.
-IQ
Old 08-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
You? and The Mahatma?
Oh, the forbidden pleasures!

Last edited by terentii; 08-09-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:06 PM

So so so many great observations here so far that really hit the bulls-eye.

The one with people leaving house doors open ( usually in silly sit-coms ) was one I noticed from an early age. I had to control my urge to exhort to the characters "Close the door!". At an early age, we were encouraged to come in/go out and not leave the front door open any longer than necessary. "Shut the damn door! Are we heating up Westchester county? What do you think we are...Con Ed!!??"

Another one that drove me nuts is earlier movies/TV/sitcoms back when it was all land-line phones, especially the dail type phones that literally had a little ringing bell inside them ( not electronic ). A character would be in a house for example, be doing something else either alone, or talking with others; and the phone rings....and rings...and rings. The phone would ring nearly a dozen times before the character seemed to even address the fact the phone is ringing. He'd then very slowly and leisurely make his way to the phone, often pausing his steps to continue whatever conversation he was having, and then, after what must be 36 rings, casually picks up the phone. I always wanted to belt the guy for being so infuriatingly relaxed and inconsiderate.

Nobody, but nobody, but NO-BOD-Y would ring that long without giving up.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
A cameo by a famous face will do it for me.
Sigourney Weaver turning up in Doc Martin.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Bio-electric Aura.

When combined with Supernatural Strength, it allows user to lift objects much larger than themselves like mountains or cruise liners and move them without the objects buckling like physics dictate they should.
I'm aware of that reasoning (wasn't it John Byrne who came up with it?) and it is just as bad as not addressing it at all.

Last edited by D_Odds; 08-09-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
We all know phone numbers in movies have to start with "555" so everytime they give out a number starting with "555" its like breaking the 4th wall.
Yes. A 555 phone number always yanks me out of the story.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
I collect license plates and many times I can tell when they use fake ones and it bugs me to no end. I might be mixing up my movies but I think there are NYC street scenes in the latest Spiderman movie. NY currently has the orange-gold plates with blue letters and a reverse field where the state name is. What pedants like me see is the alpha numeric sequence being wrong. When those plates were first introduced they did not resequence/ start over; they continued the sequence from the previous blue niagara falls to manhattan plates. Gold plate sequences first started with the letters Fxx-. (They are up to Jxx now). There are numerous vehicles shown with low letters starting sequences. Now one could have a vanity plate made with an earlier sequence but no way that every vehicle in NYC in the movie has a vanity plate.
They could have had the plate from back when the plates were orange-gold the first time around?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post

Not sure why this would be a problem. Okay, you recognize the actress, but Bourne-White was white, blonde and, in that era, young, even if not as stunning as Bergen. I wouldn't say Bergen was miscast or that the character's inclusion was gratuitous.
First, most of the pictures I find of her show her as a brunette.

Second, even if she was blonde, she was not an especially important character, so they could have used a no-name actress that didn't immediately make you think, "Hollywood." Tom Cruise is about the same height as Kingsley, but that doesn't mean he would have been a good choice for the role.

If she wasn't a problem for you, great. She was so jarring to me that I thought of her a millisecond after reading the title of this thread, 30 years later. Different strokes.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 08-09-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Who puts an uncovered loaf of French bread in a paper grocery sack?

And why is it there's a fruit or vegetable cart in every car or foot chase scene?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
Who puts an uncovered loaf of French bread in a paper grocery sack?
The same people who like to have a bunch of celery tops sticking out of the bag.

Quote:
And why is it there's a fruit or vegetable cart in every car or foot chase scene?
Because it's fun to watch the street vendors scurry out of the way as their wares scatter in all directions.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
In the new Tarantino movie DiCaprio and Pacino are sitting at a restaurant table with just two full glass of water. Cut to a different angle, one of the glasses is 3/4 full. Next angle, two full glasses of water. Next, they each have a drink - one's finishing something in a rocks glass, one a glass of wine or something. Next angle, back to two full glasses of water only. All of this happens in about 60 seconds with some of the switches taking place mid-sentence. At first I thought it was a setup for something, but then I figured that that didn't make any sense so it had to be continuity errors. It took me out of the scene to the point that I had to replay in my mind what they were talking about and how it fit in the movie.
Another scene with Pacino seemed like it was only there to do Dewey Finn's "Turn on the TV!"

..and burpo the wonder mutt's Wilhelm Scream is very early in the movie as well. I'd be inclined to give Tarantino a pass on any more I find when the Blu-ray is released. It may not be the case with other films, but when an encyclopedia like Tarantino makes such a choice, like, for example, using the 50's hit Green Door, it's certainly meant to get a laugh or at least noticed and dutifully reported to the IMDb page.

Last edited by eunoia; 08-10-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Wrong facts and mispronunciations. In this Internet Age, that is inexcusable.

Bernie Mac, looking at a phone number "201? What's she doing in Atlantic City?"

21 Jump St character: I grew up in mun-au-chee, New Jersey.

Atlantic City's area code is 609, and Moonachie, NJ is pronounced MOON-au-kee.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Medieval armor in movies often bothers the hell out of me. I can accept some anachronistic pieces, armor was expensive, it would even be realistic for some noble to wear a piece from an ancient family member or taken in battle perhaps a century ago.

But it is often way too much. Armor had styles and the people then as now cared about how they looked to their peers and yet in movies they walk around with a bizarre grab bag of armor from entirely different regions spanning perhaps 300 years or more.

To the people of the era it would be like seeing a Lady Gaga outfit for us.
The armor often looks too clean and too complete. And too consistent. It was all hand-made then, fer chrissake. Seeing a line of soldiers kitted out identically ... nope. Soldiers might well have had a grab bag of armor from different sources and times, but there are still limits.

Fantasy films tend to extend the fantasy to the armor. Anything with spikes is just plain stoopid. There was a good reason while real armor had none. Several good reasons, actually.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Almost every scene of mediaeval combat ever filmed, where it's clear the actors have no idea how their weapons were actually used. The most egregious example I can think of is Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone fencing with broadswords in 1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Corollaries: Actors in period pieces loading their muskets and cannons in ways that would get their hands blown off in real life. Flintlock-era firearms that use percussion caps, like Faye Dunaway's pistol in The Four Musketeers. Masses of 18th and 19th century soldiers charging headlong across a battlefield instead of advancing slowly in ordered ranks and files. Napoleonic-era soldiers marching to brass bands instead of fifes and drums.
Ever noticed how sword fencing is carefully choreographed so the two actors just hit each other blades, and they never, ever stab. With good reason.

Most period war films have groups of soldiers charging each other in a disorganized mob. Uh, no. You can't hold formation when running, and you need the breath for fighting. Then sword fights; the hero gives a dramatic slash and his opponent obliging drops down with barely a scream. And the hero gets ahead of his men. That's a recipe for being cut down from behind in no time. And medieval battles seems to have a penchant for sword and axes. Wot, no polearms?

FWIW, just about everything in Braveheart is historically wrong. Oh yes, fire in medieval battles. Yeah.

Battles are always speeded up, for dramatic effect. Real ones could last several hours. And for 18-19C battles, it took more than one or two volleys to break the enemy.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Issues with many military films

Setting aside issues of whether the armor, clothes or uniforms are accurate, I get the feeling that Hollywood knows zilch about the military except as a sort of really cool theme park.What they get wrong: senior officers who are not frostily formal, especially with lower ranks. Lower ranks and ordinary soldiers who argue with officers, or show less than the usual respect. "Uh, yes, soldier, that's a great idea, now report for latrine cleaning duties. For the next week."

Military hardware. Everything thing from anachronistic rifles (Lee-Enflields in the back ranks in Zulu) to vehicles. Given, for example, the shortage of authentic WW2 planes and vehicles, you get used to seeing some creative substiitutions. Frankly, the only answer is CGI.

Try Nitpickers.con if you want to catch all the bloopers.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
The amazing physical recovery capability and magical grooming of actors.

Actor get beat up and bloodied - 10 seconds later the blood is gone!

Actor gets drenched in water - 10 seconds later they are completely dry!

Actress gets drenched in water - 10 seconds later their hair is back to being well coiffed.

Stuff like that always sticks out to me.
Yes, I am impressed how an actor comes of the rain, with his hair wet, but his clothes are relatively dry. And a minute later he is dry from head to foot!

Blood: I suppose it is too much for the make-up guys to make blood ooze. But my main beef is that somewbody walks around, even for several hours, with red blood all over his face, or wherever he is wounded. Why doesn't wipe it off? And why does it not clot?

Add to this the indestructible hero, who can take multple blows that would land a normalo in hospital, yet he comes back and knocks down the villain.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
...Or the obligatory two guys carrying a 4' by 8' sheet of plate glass crossing the street.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Wrong facts and mispronunciations. In this Internet Age, that is inexcusable.

Bernie Mac, looking at a phone number "201? What's she doing in Atlantic City?"

21 Jump St character: I grew up in mun-au-chee, New Jersey.

Atlantic City's area code is 609, and Moonachie, NJ is pronounced MOON-au-kee.
Is there a reason why the Bernie Mac character should know that? He's based out of Chicago, and while the character has probably played AC, it doesn't necessarily be familiar with its area code. Since my daughter moved to Buffalo, I'm there often yet I couldn't tell you the area code (especially because she kept her cell number from when she was here in Queens).

As for pronouncing native American place names, I've heard different lifelong residents pronounce the same place differently from my years on Long Island. It could be a little grating at times, but I learned not to assume that the way I thought someplace should be pronounced is the right way to pronounce it (and let's not start on the proper pronunciation of Nebraska).
Old 08-10-2019, 01:00 PM

In Tour of Duty (which was actually a pretty good series, despite the F-4s being clearly marked "Hawaii National Guard" and painted in '80s camouflage schemes), the hot female journalist asked one of the GIs "How long have you been in COUN-try?"

The phrase is "IN country." For crying out loud, there are technical advisers who will help you get the jargon right!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Battles are always speeded up, for dramatic effect. Real ones could last several hours. And for 18-19C battles, it took more than one or two volleys to break the enemy.
Have you ever seen the Soviet version of War and Peace? I used to attend all-night showings of it and would be nodding off by four in the morning. Then the Battle of Borodino would start and I'd be jolted awake by the entire French cavalry charging down on me!

Now that was one helluva battle, and it seemed to go on forever! I could say the same thing about Waterloo (which had the same director), but that's only natural. That movie was about the battle only.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Is there a reason why the Bernie Mac character should know that? He's based out of Chicago, and while the character has probably played AC, it doesn't necessarily be familiar with its area code. Since my daughter moved to Buffalo, I'm there often yet I couldn't tell you the area code (especially because she kept her cell number from when she was here in Queens).
This makes sense, except Bernie was implying he knew the correct area code right off the top of his head. Apparently, he didn't.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Names that make zero cultural sense. Mind you, this requires me to recognize that the name makes zero cultural sense, but Baby Jesus on an electric scooter: if you cast a Spaniard to play a character who's a Spaniard, or an Italian to play an Italian, would it be so difficult to ask them if the name makes sense? From what I know of how movies are made, it's quite likely that an actor with a small role won't know the role's name at all: they may get only the parts of the script where the character appears, and the character's name is never mentioned with the character present.

Situations where a bunch of people are supposed to have lived in the same place their whole life, but they all have radically different accents.

For Spanish media, situations where a character would have a strong regional accent given their brackground, yet speaks in accents that would make the Dictionary of the Academies of the Spanish Language swooooooon. Yes, with extra o's. I haven't encountered it in Englis, but I can't promise nobody ever did it.

Last edited by Nava; 08-10-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Another car chase related one: When they dub in the sound of squealing tires, but the cars are on a dirt road.
I can assure you, when operating a motor vehicle with the proper amount of enthusiasm, tires will squeal on dirt roads.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Actors being given musical instruments they clearly don't know how to play, or even hold. Like Steve McQueen and his fife in The Great Escape. Or the trombone player in a marching band who swings his horn back-and-forth and up-and-down while pumping the slide in-and out, in-and-out, in-and-out.

Sir, I know the trombone. I used to play the trombone.* And you, sir, are no trombonist.

As for Napoleonic-era soldiers marching to brass bands, I saw this once in a German (Nazi-era) movie set during the reign of Frederick the Great. Most of the instruments they were playing hadn't even been invented yet. And yes, the Prussian army would charge headlong across the battlefield with fixed bayonets, as would the ones they were facing.

Talk about disappointment! Of all people, you'd expect the Nazis at least to know how to make good war movies!

*I used to play the fife, too. And the bagpipe, which actors also don't know how to hold, much less play.

Last edited by terentii; 08-10-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
First, most of the pictures I find of her show her as a brunette.

Second, even if she was blonde, she was not an especially important character....
Yes, but did Mohandas dip his bald head in oil and rub it all over her body?

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist any more! )

Last edited by terentii; 08-10-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I can't speak for its historical accuracy, but if I were to regularly find myself wandering the desert on horseback without my own water supply, one thing I'd definitely do is train my horse not to drink until I tell it to. Nobody wants to be the guy who gets to the water trough after Trigger and all his friends are finished.
People whose lives depend on the health of their horses will ostentatiously make a point of taking care of the horses first, themselves second.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:38 PM
SDSAB

In Casablanca, the door of the German Legation in the French Moroccan city is lettered, naturally, in English.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:12 PM

Character A comes upon Character B, who is staring in the distance with a look of utter horror or surprise on his face.

Does A turn to see what B finds so horrifying? No, not at first. A stares at B's horrified face until B slowly raises a pointed finger instructing A where to look.

Only then does A avert his gaze to see what is troubling B so.

mmm
Old 08-10-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
The no-look look.

Detective arrives on the scene to find that the FBI investigator is already there. FBI-guy is not looking at the detective because he is already looking at the crime scene. Detective approaches the FBI guy and FBI guy says(without looking), "Thank you, officer. We'll take it from here. This is our case now."
Unless it's Batman. It's okay when Batman does it.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
This one probably applies more to TV than movies, but older special effects that may have looked convincing enough on a small screen in standard definition, but look obviously fake when you see them on a bigger screen and in HD. For example I rewatched the Stephen King miniseries The Langoliers (1995) on Netflix a few years ago, and the CGI effects looked like something out of a 1990s video game.
I saw this on a regular-sized 4:3 ratio TV. The CGI effects looked like that then, too.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 AM
SDSAB

Tough Hero Guy doesn't flinch, doesn't react, doesn't look back when something explodes right behind him, but just keeps striding purposefully towards the camera. C'mon. Nobody is that focused.