Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 PM

Resident Evil has disappointed me for years!

I started playing the franchise back in the '90s. I think the 2002 remake is still one of the scariest games ever made. In recent years however, I've found myself eager to quit the series as it has gone and ended up so bad.

The thing that gets to me sometimes, is that RE4 ain't really a true RE sequel. When the game starts, all you get is a brief story about the Umbrella Corporation no longer existing, and the other games essentially set up some major confrontation, that later on only occurred in a bland, on-rails, co-op spin-off game. The rest of the game is you playing a secret agent (as in, he's really the cop from RE2 named Leon) as he kills villagers and monsters, and he also flogs jewels to some weird merchant guy. It bearly feels like a proper RE game, and RE5 and 6 were worse, as they had no scary moments, and just violent scenes for what came across as cheaper than chips, shock value.

When Capcom made Revelations 2, I was happy that it was a return to form, and it was awesome to play as Barry Burton at last. Then later on, I found out it kind of ripped off The Last of Us, so my opinion of it has been lowered somewhat. 7 on the other hand, was a mess, with boring, one-note monsters and a possessed family, chasing after a generic guy that had no real purpose. Capcom have also made Chris Redfield look so stupid, and he works for Umbrella, who are back now and seemingly acting all nicey nice. He hardly looks like Chris from RE5 and 6 at all, but why the hell would Chris side with Umbrella? What a load of meh, really.

All in all, the 2010s has giving us some truly great horror games, but it also has had some pretty sucky ones too.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:45 PM

I thought RE4 was a good experiment at taking the game in a different direction and I enjoyed it, having re-played it several times. But I did not like any of the successive games - in fact, I've never even played them, because all of the clips I saw of them turned me off. They just looked like shoot'em'up games where you mow down endless hordes of enemies, and the "survival horror" elements seem negligible.

However, they've now re-made RE2 - which I thought was the best game of the series to begin with - for PS4. I've had the same PS3 for over 10 years but I may finally upgrade to PS4 if only to play this remake. It looks great.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:36 PM

RE2 is a classic. One of my favorite all-time games.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I thought RE4 was a good experiment at taking the game in a different direction and I enjoyed it, having re-played it several times. But I did not like any of the successive games - in fact, I've never even played them, because all of the clips I saw of them turned me off. They just looked like shoot'em'up games where you mow down endless hordes of enemies, and the "survival horror" elements seem negligible.

However, they've now re-made RE2 - which I thought was the best game of the series to begin with - for PS4. I've had the same PS3 for over 10 years but I may finally upgrade to PS4 if only to play this remake. It looks great.
To each their own, but I consider the RE2 remake to be overrated. It's not even that scary. The zombies seem to absorb about 20 bullets, even when shot in the head. The game re-uses boss fights, which not even the original game did. Mr. X looks unscary in the game. Even the blocky PS1 graphics made him look scarier.

Ada doesn't wear her original clothes either and more so resembles a detective. You play her briefly later on, and she has a device that disables electronics, which again, is new to the game. The DLC side game "The Ghost Survivors" was horrible, and consisted of black and white, poorly made story scenes to start and bookend the mode, which was just a run and gun thing anyway.

Also, you may remember the ivy plants that spat out poison in the lab. They aren't even in the remake. It's just these plant humans with V.F.T. shaped heads, and there's an area you cannot immediately access, as you need to prepare a spray to kill a big weed.

Last edited by Peter A; 09-28-2019 at 05:58 PM.