Old 10-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, what is up with that teeny plastic container of coleslaw? You get that here, too, in the old school fried chicken joints like Harold's. It's like literally about one heaping teaspoon of coleslaw. Here's a picture I was able to find on Yelp of how small some of these coleslaw portions are.
I canít explain it. Itís always mayonnaise-based cole slaw, so they canít make gallons of it and dole it out in those tiny portions ó it wouldnít keep.

I always eat the two forkfuls anyway, with a little black pepper sprinkled on first. Donít you?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM

We have one in Scranton. Two actually. Family dispute originally split them into two separate buildings with essentially the same menu, a block away from each other. I forget the details of the rift, but the newer establishment I guess was voted third best wieners in America by someone at some point. I prefer the original location, FWIW.

It should be noted that these Texas wieners are not chili dogs since wiener sauce is not quite chili. The grind is finer, its seasoned a bit differently, and while it is extremely tasty it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying as a bowl of "regular" chili.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Anything like the famous “New York System” hot dogs of Rhode Island (the weirdest state cuisine out of all fifty)?

http://www.newenglandhistoricalsocie...system-wiener/

I looked forward to trying them, but did it in a small southern town instead of Providence, and the meat sauce on the franks was like dog food.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:36 PM

https://coneyislandpottsville.com/ I can't believe this place is still open. We went there 40 years ago and the chili dog was standard fare. Pennsylvania, of course.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I just can't believe I've never heard of this. I'm in S.Arkansas. next door to Texas. I've spent a bunch of time in Texas hill country. I have 2 sibs who live in Texas.
Sounds good, though.
Because it's not a Texas thing. It's a Pittsburg, PA thing.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
https://coneyislandpottsville.com/ I can't believe this place is still open. We went there 40 years ago and the chili dog was standard fare. Pennsylvania, of course.
There is a famous restaurant in Johnstown, PA, also called Coney Island. Great food when I lived there.

https://m.facebook.com/ConeyIslandJohnstown/
Old 10-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Yes indeed it is. I used to get that all the time in college, but they discontinued it at some point.

They used to have a really good seasonal called "Frost" that was a Dortmunder Export style beer, and it was stellar. For some reason, they discontinue the good stuff like Kosmos and Frost in favor of garbage like some of the fruity seasonals (the cherry limeade one is ghastly, and the prickly pear one is not much better).
I like the Cherry Limeade AND the Prickly Pear. They are available along with the Sea Salt and Lime in the Texas Heat Wave pack. (still on shelves). The Frost is available in the Texas Cold Front pack which should be available soon. It has a carmelized pecan, mortadella cherry, and the frost. The Kosmos is available in the Brewery Tour pack.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
In NYC a Cheeseburger Deluxe includes lettuce, tomato slice, and a dill pickle spear (incompatible with putting ON the burger) a side oí fries, and a teeny plastic container of cole slaw. You have to ask for onion, mayo, and/or mustard.
So can you explain to me the bowl of beets at Juniors? I was flummoxed. It didnít help to have a rambling bartender full of tales of neuroplasticity.