Old 10-16-2019, 12:45 PM

Rocketeer builds a Perambulothopter

I just finished another model, and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

I've always thought the Star Wars AT-AT and other walkers looked kind of clunky, and this started off as an attempt to build a more graceful walking machine. In fact, its working title was "Giant walkie thingie"; it was only very late in the process that it became a Perambulothopter. It's supposed to be able to either fly or walk, depending.

I started with the legs, which are actually airfoils, with a brass tube down the leading edge to route wiring through:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7f470f81_k.jpg

Then a pelvis and spine (chassis frame):

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8d16bf20_k.jpg

Some cardstock mocking-up:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...28d509a7_k.jpg

A cabin interior and a Mercedes aircraft engine stolen from the Red Baron show car:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d0b92afe_k.jpg

...And the final result. Although I bought bits and pieces from here and there, almost all of it is scratchbuilt from plastic sheet and strip. The wiring is disguised as hydraulic hoses. Theoretically, when flying the spine is horizontal; the cabin hinges down so the floor is level, and the tail bends down horizontally at the ball joint. But I'm not gonna be too dogmatic about that.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e5ccd2bd_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...03a021df_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e96c6edc_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f0c23db5_k.jpg

Link to a flickr album.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Once again some amazing work.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Dude!!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Wait! That is amazing!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Thanks for your kind comments!
Old 10-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Although, with the knees so high up on the legs, it's going to have a tough time walking over rough terrain.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Although, with the knees so high up on the legs, it's going to have a tough time walking over rough terrain.
Style>>>practicality.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Wow. Great work!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:39 PM

Fantastic! I really, really like this one! It needs a larger terrain to be posed on, like 2 or 3 square feet; that would help show-off the (scale relative) huge size.

What are your thoughts on acquiring a 3D printer for your modeling? You could just print out those chairs, for example.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-16-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Amazing idea and execution!
Old 10-17-2019, 01:24 AM

Thanks to you all for your kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Fantastic! I really, really like this one! It needs a larger terrain to be posed on, like 2 or 3 square feet; that would help show-off the (scale relative) huge size.

What are your thoughts on acquiring a 3D printer for your modeling? You could just print out those chairs, for example.
I usually like small bases; first, I kinda feel that you ought to be able to tell a story in a very small space if you're halfway competent (newbies to building dioramas tend to build huge ones), and secondly, I don't have any place to put a model on a large base. My Spaceliner Aventine Passing Phobos, which is a very tall model on quite a large base, got exiled to a showcase in the basement because of its size.

Those chairs are actually 3D printed; i bought them from Shapeways . (On an earlier model, I used similar chairs cast in resin, which I had to assemble--but the Shapeways ones were one piece, saving me time and aggravation.) As far as doing my own 3D printing, I doubt I'll get into it. For one thing, my work career involved trying to accomplish things on a computer using half-assed software, and I'd rather spend my time, now that it's my own, on building physical things using physical processes. And for another, it sounds like it takes a lot of time and money to get a rig that can print in model-friendly (rigid, detailed, glueable, paintable) materials; basically it's another whole hobby, which I don't have time, energy, or money to master.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:34 AM

Awesome work, as always!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

I love EVERYTHING about this project.

Did you ever manage to secure replacement digs for your hobbyists’ club?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:50 AM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Dayum!
Old 10-17-2019, 06:46 AM

You posts about your models are some of my favorite on the Dope.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

That thing has very sexy legs and shoes. :P

Great work! Looks cool AND imaginative!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
I love EVERYTHING about this project.

Did you ever manage to secure replacement digs for your hobbyists’ club?
Thanks! It was a fun project and went pretty smoothly and quickly.

The club is carrying on. Right now, we're meeting at a local library which has a very nice meeting room. However, you can only reserve it 90 days in advance, so I have to haunt the library website and make a reservation whenever our Thursday opens up.

In fact, today is meeting day. We're going to have a presentation on Sculpey, and then a discussion of what the Challenge Build for next September is going to be.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
You posts about your models are some of my favorite on the Dope.
Glad to hear it!
Old 10-17-2019, 03:35 PM

Another spectacular piece of art and I only have one quibble with it... The fuel tank is very small so I'm guessing the range is going to be pretty small as well...
Old 10-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Another spectacular piece of art and I only have one quibble with it... The fuel tank is very small so I'm guessing the range is going to be pretty small as well...
Guilty as charged!
Old 10-18-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
In fact, today is meeting day. We're going to have a presentation on Sculpey, and then a discussion of what the Challenge Build for next September is going to be.
Cool. I've just finished one Sculpey figureine sculpt and am halfway through another. I'm liking it a lot, certainly Super Culpey is way better for that sort of thing than the polymer clay brands I use for jewelry (Fimo, Cernit and a local brand). I just wish it was easier to get locally.

Last edited by MrDibble; 10-18-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I'm always impressed by the work you do, and I love steampunk or dieselpunk. But this time I'm not sure I like the contraption itself, it just dosn't do anything for me.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Rocketeer, what do you think of this? It's an 8 minute video of a guy building a tank diorama he calls "Desert Hero". I'm curious what you think of the video and what you think of the final product.

I think the final product is amazing. (His channel has some more fantastic stuff, btw.)

And of course my follow up question is: have you ever thought about doing similar videos of your builds?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-22-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: /
Old 10-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Rocketeer, what do you think of this? ...have you ever thought about doing similar videos of your builds?
The link brings up some Facebook news page, so I haven't seen the video. That said, I've never seriously considered making a "making of" video; I don't have the equipment nor the talent to shoot and edit a good video.

However, once I did ask my friend King of Greeblies to come over and shoot a video. I was making a base for a model, which involved making and crushing a pretty detailed N-scale barn, and I thought it might be fun to document it. King shot the whole crushing, and edited it into a watchable video, which I posted to YouTube. Here it is!. (Littlest R has a voice-only cameo near the end, as does Mrs. R.)

So far it's got all of 1965 views. The King has moved away now and I don't see him nearly so often, but every time I do, i kid him that it's going to go viral any minute now.

Last edited by Rocketeer; 10-23-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Fix typo.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 PM

I botched that link; here is Desert Hero.

ETA: And now you have 1966 views and 13 likes.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-23-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:

I botched that link; here is Desert Hero.

The end result certainly has a lovely feeling of action! And the video is well done, too; he usually shows you what product he's going to use for the next step; the sequence of events is clear; and the soundtrack is well chosen. Makes you want to go out and build something similar.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:42 PM

Not being a modeler, I don't know how common or unique anything he did is, but I really liked the tank muzzle explosion. I thought it was clever and well executed. The "dust cloud" was only okay although it did look good with the right lighting.

I agree the video was well done. I confess that I skipped ahead several times but I think that's mostly because I'm not a modeler so I found the pace a bit slow at times. The final result was fantastic, I thought.

I do think that you could make similar videos and I know that we, your small but loyal fan club here, would all watch them. Clearly there's other interested people on YouTube as well. Show us how you design and make that '60s-retro playboy space cruiser with an oversized waterbed, a wet bar and an exercise room. Or whatever your next project is.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 10-23-2019 at 11:42 PM.