Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 PM

God and Life

I read a lot of debates around here between theists and non-theists, but there is one topic I really haven't seen discussed much. I suppose it's more of a pantheistic belief, but it is certainly one I lean toward. Here goes...

A little spirituality for today, courtesy of Neale Donald Walsh. Do you believe in life? Are you alive whether you believe in life or not? Does it really matter whether or not you believe in life? An interesting read.

Quote:
My dear friends,

What if the words "God" and "life" are interchangeable? Wouldn't that make for an extraordinary spiritual cosmology?

The implications are—if it's possible to imagine this—more than enormous. They're staggering, earth shaking, paradigm-shattering. This is because everyone knows what is true about life. Everyone may not know what is true about God, but everyone knows what is true about life.

What is true about life is that nothing stands outside of life. Nothing exists without life, and life does not exist if nothing exists.

[...removed rest of copy/paste...]
https://spiritlibrary.com/neale-dona...n-god-and-life

Last edited by Bone; 04-26-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Deleted large copy/paste for fair use and added quote tags
Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
What if the words "God" and "life" are interchangeable?
Then the word "God" becomes meaningless in any other sense than as a synonym for "life."

God Insurance.
Lifedamn it!
God without parole.
Hitler! (Damn, Lifewin'd the thread.)
Godsavers candy.
Are You There, Life? It's Me, Margaret.
God of the party.

ETA: I see that is a quote from a book, not your own thoughts, so I don't have to worry about it being considered a personal attack to call it a gigantic steaming pile of worthless bullshit from an addlepated simpleton.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 04-26-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Then the word "God" becomes meaningless in any other sense than as a synonym for "life."

God Insurance.
Lifedamn it!
God without parole.
Hitler! (Damn, Lifewin'd the thread.)
Godsavers candy.
Are You There, Life? It's Me, Margaret.
God of the party.

ETA: I see that is a quote from a book, not your own thoughts, so I don't have to worry about it being considered a personal attack to call it a gigantic steaming pile of worthless bullshit from an addlepated simpleton.
I wouldn't go so far as "gigantic steaming pile" but yes, it is the opinion of the author of the books, Conversations With God. I quite like his approach to religious thought and it helps me make a lot of sense of the religious divisiveness I see in the world. Do you believe in Life? Does it matter whether or not you worship Life? Are you sill alive even if you don't accept Life as your personal saviour? I think there is much more to this idea than you're giving credit for. So far.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as "gigantic steaming pile" but yes, it is the opinion of the author of the books, Conversations With God. I quite like his approach to religious thought and it helps me make a lot of sense of the religious divisiveness I see in the world. Do you believe in Life? Does it matter whether or not you worship Life? Are you sill alive even if you don't accept Life as your personal saviour? I think there is much more to this idea than you're giving credit for. So far.
I think that both that excerpt and this comment are 100% pure deepity.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I think that both that excerpt and this comment are 100% pure deepity.

Well then, thank you for your contribution. I learned a new word today.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm too busy wondering if the atoms in my hand are miniature galaxies filled with people staring at their hands and wondering...

To settle this matter, the words "God" and "life" happen not to be interchangeable according to any/every dictionary.

edited to add: And another thank you for the "deepity" link.

Last edited by Czarcasm; 04-26-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Does it matter whether or not you worship Life? Are you sill alive even if you don't accept Life as your personal saviour?
What do these things mean?

Last edited by Ambivalid; 04-26-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
That someone is really bad at Mad-Libs?
Old 04-26-2018, 06:33 PM

If life is God, then a lot of religious people claim that God created God, and that God offers eternal God to those who reach the aftergod.

God, God is confusing. FMG anyway.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:39 PM

Merrily, merrily, merrily, God is but dream.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 04-26-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:40 PM
Extrajudicial

Moderating

Quote:
I read a lot of debates around here between theists and non-theists, but there is one topic I really haven't seen discussed much. I suppose it's more of a pantheistic belief, but it is certainly one I lean toward. Here goes...

A little spirituality for today, courtesy of Neale Donald Walsh. Do you believe in life? Are you alive whether you believe in life or not? Does it really matter whether or not you believe in life? An interesting read.

https://spiritlibrary.com/neale-dona...n-god-and-life
Please observe fair use and do not copy entire large articles.

[/moderating]
Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
God finds a way.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:59 PM

Walsh's questions and thoughts, when read much more carefully than he seems to have intended, actually form a pretty nice takedown of all religions in general.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:

I take it to mean if we regard God as a life force instead of a human being we created in our own image (with all the personal baggage that entails), then our need to do the things religions typically require, like worship, disappear. Just keep on living life and enjoying it. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Truer than you might realize.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Please observe fair use and do not copy entire large articles.

[/moderating]

It's an excerpt from a much longer book, but thanks for your input.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
Walsh's questions and thoughts, when read much more carefully than he seems to have intended, actually form a pretty nice takedown of all religions in general.

I agree. It may seem simplistic on the surface, but it explains a lot without all of the semantic shoving matches that often ensue in religious discussions.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

For profound sounding phrases I prefer "God is a verb". I didn't like it well enough to buy the book, though. And I think the phrase is older than the book.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I agree. It may seem simplistic on the surface, but it explains a lot without all of the semantic shoving matches that often ensue in religious discussions.
You mean, he IS actually an atheist who's posing as a religious writer to get his point across? I'm not familiar with him but it's the impression I got from what you posted.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:49 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
What if the words "God" and "life" are interchangeable? Wouldn't that make for an extraordinary spiritual cosmology?
Counterpoint: what if the words "God" and "Wankel Rotary Engine" are interchangeable? Wouldn't that make working on a late '60s Mazda a religious service?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I'm too busy wondering if the atoms in my hand are miniature galaxies filled with people staring at their hands and wondering...
Waoh, dude! You just blew my mind! Life only knows how I will go on after this!
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Counterpoint: what if the words "God" and "Wankel Rotary Engine" are interchangeable? Wouldn't that make working on a late '60s Mazda a religious service?
This freaks me right out. That would mean I was given the gift of God at 17 by my parents. A 1986 RX-7 powered by God!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, it explains nothing. It just hand waves a bunch of things and provides no insights into how to live your life.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Allow me to address the first part of your quote:
Quote:
My dear friends,

He can "what if" all he wants. The terms are not interchangeable. Life can be proven to exist. God cannot. End of discussion.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Counterpoint: what if the words "God" and "Wankel Rotary Engine" are interchangeable?
God...high hopes but disappointing results.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
God...high hopes but disappointing results.
Sing it. Worst car god ever.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Sing it. Worst car god ever.
Nah, it brought me much joy for a while then left me stranded in the rain. So it still fits.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
For profound sounding phrases I prefer "God is a verb". I didn't like it well enough to buy the book, though. And I think the phrase is older than the book.

I like that idea. Kind of gives us a little more accountability.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
You mean, he IS actually an atheist who's posing as a religious writer to get his point across? I'm not familiar with him but it's the impression I got from what you posted.

I certainly wouldn't describe him as an atheist. He believes in God—just not the same God you might find in the Bible.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Good point. I think.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Actually, it explains nothing. It just hand waves a bunch of things and provides no insights into how to live your life.

Why do you assume that? Are there some actions that are more life-affirming than others?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post

He can "what if" all he wants. The terms are not interchangeable. Life can be proven to exist. God cannot. End of discussion.

Perhaps your definition of God needs revisiting. Or your definition of Life.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:05 PM

It's a hard-knock God for us.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Q. How many legs does a dog have, if you call his tail a leg?
A. Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.
(Traditionally attributed to Abraham Lincoln.)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why do you assume that? Are there some actions that are more life-affirming than others?
I don't assume anything. I read the article and came away with the conclusion that he was full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. It's just wordplay, and poor wordplay at that.

If you define life as skiing, many actions are more life affirming than others. But it's mostly useless for someone not interested in skiing.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
I don't assume anything. I read the article and came away with the conclusion that he was full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. It's just wordplay, and poor wordplay at that.

If you define life as skiing, many actions are more life affirming than others. But it's mostly useless for someone not interested in skiing.

So why must "God" be defined in some manner that, for example, makes no sense to me? Who decides what constitutes "God" anyway? Who died and made them boss?
Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

When Walsh says
Quote:
What is true about life is that nothing stands outside of life. Nothing exists without life, and life does not exist if nothing exists.
Walsh is full of it. The universe existed long before life did, and there might be parts of it that life has never seen.
However as religious thought goes, it is pretty harmless.

But life requires sex, so if you define God as sex you would get a lot more attendance at church. And maybe more interesting religious tracts.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So why must "God" be defined in some manner that, for example, makes no sense to me? Who decides what constitutes "God" anyway? Who died and made them boss?
All words are defined by the consensus of the users of that particular language. If you want to be able to actually communicate with people who speak that language, you pretty much have to accept the consensus view of definitions.

I don't think the above is an absolute rule--sometimes it feels good to push back against what you consider to be a solecism that's in danger of taking root, perhaps because it makes communicating in your language less precise. (Maybe you can't stand people who use "infer" and "imply" interchangeably.) It may be worthwhile for people who use a word as part of a specific technical vocabulary to push back against people who are using that word incorrectly. A physicist might do so with respect to New Age types who talk about how their crystals have "energy"; many of us atheists will push back against what we consider to be incorrect definitions of "atheist" or "atheism".

But hundreds of millions of believers over many centuries have used the word "God" (and "gods"), and while those believers certainly don't always agree with each other about what "God" means--they very often don't, in big and small ways--re-defining the word "God" to mean "life" is a very idiosyncratic "definition" of the word, that hasn't been historically been shared by any large portion of theists of any stripe. It therefore simply doesn't facilitate any meaningful conversation with anyone. Nor in my opinion does it provide any particularly useful insight into the nature of reality or the human condition that isn't better realized by saying something like "God (as defined by those who believe in Him) doesn't exist" ("almost certainly doesn't exist"; "very likely doesn't exist"; "more probably than not doesn't exist"; "there is no convincing evidence that such an entity exists"; depending on exactly which definition of "God" we're dealing with), but "human life" does exist.

Ceterum censeo imperium Trumpi esse delendam
Old 04-27-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBuckner View Post
All words are defined by the consensus of the users of that particular language. If you want to be able to actually communicate with people who speak that language, you pretty much have to accept the consensus view of definitions.

I don't think the above is an absolute rule--sometimes it feels good to push back against what you consider to be a solecism that's in danger of taking root, perhaps because it makes communicating in your language less precise. (Maybe you can't stand people who use "infer" and "imply" interchangeably.) It may be worthwhile for people who use a word as part of a specific technical vocabulary to push back against people who are using that word incorrectly. A physicist might do so with respect to New Age types who talk about how their crystals have "energy"; many of us atheists will push back against what we consider to be incorrect definitions of "atheist" or "atheism".

But hundreds of millions of believers over many centuries have used the word "God" (and "gods"), and while those believers certainly don't always agree with each other about what "God" means--they very often don't, in big and small ways--re-defining the word "God" to mean "life" is a very idiosyncratic "definition" of the word, that hasn't been historically been shared by any large portion of theists of any stripe. It therefore simply doesn't facilitate any meaningful conversation with anyone. Nor in my opinion does it provide any particularly useful insight into the nature of reality or the human condition that isn't better realized by saying something like "God (as defined by those who believe in Him) doesn't exist" ("almost certainly doesn't exist"; "very likely doesn't exist"; "more probably than not doesn't exist"; "there is no convincing evidence that such an entity exists"; depending on exactly which definition of "God" we're dealing with), but "human life" does exist.

Thanks for a well-considered response. I agree that words tend to have meanings that we can all pretty much agree to, but I also think "God" is one of those terms that has as many interpretations as there are people. To reframe God as Life Itself may rub many people the wrong way, especially the Heaven and Hell/reward and punishment types, if all you really need to do in this world is live and breathe. No praise and supplications necessary. For me, God=Life is one way to reconcile my RC upbringing with my more atheistic leanings as an adult. No need to prove whether or not life exists.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
No, the atoms in your hand each contain the entirety of this universe, in which they reside. It is not a stack of turtles, it is recursive. You really need better acid, man.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
No, the atoms in your hand each contain the entirety of this universe, in which they reside. It is not a stack of turtles, it is recursive. You really need better acid, man.
My acid is fine, thank you very much-You need to find a typeface that doesn't glow in the dark.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
but I also think "God" is one of those terms that has as many interpretations as there are people.
Ah, so it is like "smurf" or "marklar"!

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 04-27-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
To reframe God as Life Itself may rub many people the wrong way, especially the Heaven and Hell/reward and punishment types, if all you really need to do in this world is live and breathe.

Well, he that loveth his god shall lose it; but he that hateth his god in this world...
Old 04-27-2018, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Always loved the "God is just a state of mind" argument.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post

Vishnu had the entirety of the universe in his mouth.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
It's a hard-knock God for us.
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my God
Go ahead with your own God, leave me alone
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Vishnu had the entirety of the universe in his mouth.
Spit it out, Vishnu, you don't know where that universe has been!
Old 04-27-2018, 06:54 AM

God. Don't talk to me about God.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post

It feels to me like that's sort of the intent of the argument - to handwave the arguability of God away with a 'yes, but what if...'

Which I think it just another way of saying "Except for all the objections you have, what's your objection?"

Last edited by Mangetout; 04-27-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:27 AM

I sort of subscribe to aspects of God=Life, though That is more of Love (God) creates the matrix for life. We are alive not because of our biological nature, but because we are patterned on the alive Mother Earth, which so on is patterned after the universe, also a living being. Mother Earth is not just the planet, but the planet is akin to just one of her chakras, the being Mother Earth is to us the solar system.

Some faiths consider the Universe as God, or a God figure. The reason that we have biologic life is because of the life 'energy' of our mother (Earth). Her life energy causes, to use new age terms, vibrational patterns which organize matter into patterns, which it is the vibrational energy that groups around matter and sometimes arranges it it to what we consider a biological lifeform is the concentration of this life energy around matter which has grouped itself in a way to create what we consider a life. It is just a energy node of Mother Earth's life energy and pattern. Her pattern is based on, perhaps the galaxy's pattern who would be her parent.

In this different star systems would have slightly different life patterns, as it was from a different child of the common parent.

In this it sort of leads to after our biologic death we return to the source life pattern, never lost but the energy which made and sustain us gets mixed up and redistributed. However it also leads open that this energy in our current state (biological) is not the end point but just one phase and can evolve. This leaves open the possibility of refining. Those who evolve take that energy and go on to a higher form, those who don't fall back into the Mother, reprocessed and are the basis for more life to evolve.