Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 AM

Apple Desk Top "looking for networks"

A
My Apple desk top is constantly "looking for networks". Is this slowing down its speed? How do I help it finally "find a network"?

Using a wireless WiFi.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:48 AM

You mean, under the WiFi icon in the menu bar?
How are you connected to the Internet? If it is via Ethernet, just turn off WiFi.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 AM

The easiest way to check what is running and using system resources on a mac is to go to: Finder>Applications>Activity Monitor

That app shows you everything that's running currently and how much system resources (memory, power etc) the app is using. There are buttons across the top to select CPU, Energy, Memory etc. If you find an app is using disproportionatley, then you can double click the app and you get more detail plus the option to quit it.

My MacBook Pro is also looking for networks constantly, at least when I have the network app open. I don't know if it's doing it otherwise. It may be like a fridge door, the light only comes on when it's open. If you open the app, it assumes you want to see other networks and starts looking then . I've never noticed any performance issues.

To select a network or a different network you can click the network symbol in the top right of the menu bar on any screen and then just click the network you want.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
You mean, under the WiFi icon in the menu bar?
How are you connected to the Internet? If it is via Ethernet, just turn off WiFi.
Yes, under the menu bar. No ethernet, wireless WiFi.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
The easiest way to check what is running and using system resources on a mac is to go to: Finder>Applications>Activity Monitor

That app shows you everything that's running currently and how much system resources (memory, power etc) the app is using. There are buttons across the top to select CPU, Energy, Memory etc. If you find an app is using disproportionatley, then you can double click the app and you get more detail plus the option to quit it.

My MacBook Pro is also looking for networks constantly, at least when I have the network app open. I don't know if it's doing it otherwise. It may be like a fridge door, the light only comes on when it's open. If you open the app, it assumes you want to see other networks and starts looking then . I've never noticed any performance issues.

To select a network or a different network you can click the network symbol in the top right of the menu bar on any screen and then just click the network you want.
No "Activity Monitor" listed.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Yes, under the menu bar. No ethernet, wireless WiFi.
Well, it will always say “looking for networks” (in grey) even if connected.
It’s standard behavior, and the cost in terms of CPU cycles is negligible.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 AM

Try:
Finder>Applications>Utilities (folder)>Activity Monitor

I think that's where it should be. I forgot I moved mine out to the main app folder.