Old 11-10-2003, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Origin of "Ignore alien orders" phrase

Just what the subject says.

I've Googled my butt off, but I can't track down the origin of this phrase.

Does anyone have the answer?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:21 AM

Bumper sticker.

http://web.umr.edu/~huilman/jokes/ideas
Old 11-10-2003, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Well, yes.

But whence came the bumber sticker?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Er ... bumper.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:19 PM

Well, googling the phrase as a phrase, this page was the first hit:

- http://www.whom.co.uk/mockoran/ignoreal.htm

Now I can't tell if that's original poetry, lyrics, or some sort of lyrics server for somebody's favorite obscure band.

There's a Jam Band / Grateful Dead tribute band lead by one David West that released an album with that phrase as the title, but the phrase appears older than that.

There's references to tee shirts, and other paraphernalia bearing this phrase, surrounding psychedelic music going back as far as the late sixties, early seventies, I believe.

Before that, it seems like it could have been a counter-propoganda slogan, adopted some edgy and irreverant subculture group...

This page implies that the phrase was used in the Sixties as an advertising slogan:

- http://interact.uoregon.edu/MediaLit...s/Wearing.html

Perhaps you can write the author of that page and ask him if he knows more about the phrase's origin.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

I never heard the phrase before now (I'm English, maybe it's common in America, but not here)

To me, it seems to mean "don't obey the voices in your head"
Old 11-10-2003, 09:36 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if the phrase was used in some standard military instructions, dating back to a time when the more common definition of "alien" was "foreigner" (usage persists in the phrase "illegal alien"), as opposed to "extraterrestrial".

The guy in the funny uniform with the funny accent may look like an officer, and may well be an officer, but he's not your officer, so you're not compelled to obey his orders.

Later on, though, with international cooperation required for D-Day type operations, this would have course changed.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:57 PM

Hmm, my typos are just shocking.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bughunter
Perhaps you can write the author of that page and ask him if he knows more about the phrase's origin.
Actually, I did e-mail the guy about 3-4 months ago (my Googling came up with the same hits yours did), and I didn't hear back from him.

Bryan Ekers, you may be on to something ...

Actually, peter morris, a famous musician from your shores had this phrase emblazoned on his guitar.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 PM

Ignore Alien Orders

Comes from a tv show: The Invasion
Old 11-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Ignore Alien Orders

If you can find an ORIGINAL release of Grateful Dead's Mars Hotel record album from about 1974(?), that phrase is embossed in the record cover (or whatever is the opposite of embossed - it's raised lettering). You can see it, and feel it in the black border.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Embossing is the correct term. It can use a negative (lowered letters) or positive image (raised letters).
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Humph.
I'm pretty sure I first heard it on a Firesign Theatre album. (But back when I listened to Firesign Theatre I was in a rather impressionable state for much of the time.)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterhardy View Post
Comes from a tv show: The Invasion
I can't find a tv show by that name.

Do you mean the 1967 series, The Invaders?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Just what the subject says.

I've Googled my butt off, but I can't track down the origin of this phrase.

Does anyone have the answer?
I know just how it started.

I guy who used to work with me, "Ted", was a musician and craftsman living in San Francisco in the 60's. He was up late one night with one of the biggest dope dealers in the city, whose occupation and consumption made him a bit paranoid. The dealer started on a rap that "the aliens were going to take over." Ted started to trip on how we should respond, and the classic phrase was born.

It still sounded good in the morning, so Ted and his friends pasted up a press-type master and made a photo silkscreen. He printed them in several color combinations; red on yellow, red and blue on white, and red and blue on silver, and gave them to his musician friends (some quite successful) to be passed on and posted all over the world.

That's how Joe Strummer got one of the silver ones on his guitar and made the phrase semi-famous.

They considered making more a few years later, but they couldn't get the presstype of the "R" character with its unusual foot shape. Ted gave me a stack of red-on-yellow factory seconds (a bit ragged) which I still have, with the funny "R". I think Strummer trimmed the margins on his; they were 2 x 2 inches.

I still see Ted in the East Bay.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 AM

I have a book of Grateful Dead matches promoting 'Wake of the Flood', which was released in 1973 and it has the phrase inside the matchbook cover. There a picture on my instagram account. http://www.instagram.com/grasshead

Last edited by grasshead; 03-28-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarfire View Post
Embossing is the correct term. It can use a negative (lowered letters) or positive image (raised letters).
Lowered or negative relief lettering is debossed, not embossed.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Humph.
I'm pretty sure I first heard it on a Firesign Theatre album. (But back when I listened to Firesign Theatre I was in a rather impressionable state for much of the time.)
You're probably thinking of the military training film from Everything You Know Is Wrong. It doesn't contain the actual phrase "Ignore alien orders," but it has a similar meaning.

Quote:
Goatheart: This is General Curtis Goatheart. If you are viewing this film then we are under extraterrestrial attack. Beware! Your brain may no longer be the boss. If you are beginning to doubt what I am saying, you are probably hallucinating. Listen carefully!

DI: What to do if an alien appears! One!

Goatheart: Drop under the seat of your plane and look away.

DI: Two!

Goatheart: Avoid eye contact.

DI: Three!

Goatheart: If there are no eyes, avoid all contact.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 AM

When I was in the military, we were required to obey the orders of any superior commissioned officer FIRST and if in doubt, confirm SECOND. I don't believe that you only obey the orders of your officer only.

Correct?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:58 PM

That seems like a terrible idea. What if your CO gave you an order and then some random officer came over and countermanded it?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM

Ignore Alien Orders Website

My family was friends with Jon Sagen, a music promoter who knew Bob and Ted when they created the stickers in Berkeley. He helped distribute them to musicians around the world. I made a website about Ignore Alien Orders a while ago, and you can hear Jon tell the origin story here: www.ignorealienorders.org
Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

What is wrong with that link?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:57 PM

Using a Chrome browser, the page is indicating I need to download Flash.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
That seems like a terrible idea. What if your CO gave you an order and then some random officer came over and countermanded it?
In the U.S. military, you are required to obey all orders issued by someone who outranks you (not merely officers), UNLESS, those orders conflict with orders issued by someone in your chain of command, your General Orders, or relevant regulations and laws.

In practice, it was (in my personal experience) vanishingly rare to be given an order by anyone outside of my chain of command, except for specific situations (orders by a medical officer regarding treatment for an injury, or example, or orders that would be ordinary bureaucratic and/or crowd management instructions in a civilian context).

BTW, I've never encountered the phrase "Ignore alien orders" outside of this thread. I'm virtually certain it does not have an origin in the U.S. (or any other) military - it just doesn't sound like any sort of military phrasing or terminology. Bryan Ekers's proposed origin just doesn't ring true. There wouldn't be any need to issue such a general directive - a major problem in coalition operations is precisely the opposite, convincing ordinary line personnel that they AREN'T supposed to ignore orders from "alien" officers and NCOs.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Ignore alien orders

There was a group of artists in Cleveland OH, in the mid to late 70's that propagated acts of 'Art Terrorism'. They were known as the Regional Art Terrorists.
Their Acts of Art Terrorism included:
Installing numerous road signs on telephone poles and sigh poles, throughout the city, which said: IGNORE ALIEN ORDERS.
'Modifying' billboards
Graffiti artwork
Placing mylar strands on a bridge;

more info:

https://www.ideastream.org/news/tale...art-terrorists
https://twitter.com/cleve_memory/sta...09688713498627