Old 06-09-2019, 11:59 PM

How much more are we paying for 1 day delivery of purchases?

Sure, the item says that shipping is free, but we all know that just means the cost of shipping is built into the cost of the item.

Apparently in April Amazon announced that it was planning on delivery Prime purchases in one day instead of two. (Part of this article)

Which got me wondering... Very little that I buy online really needs to be delivered in one day. If I get those socks, or the toilet paper or the replacement phone battery on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, it really won't make a smidge of difference in my life.
But there is definitely an extra cost to all those rush orders. Like being able to use a credit card to pay for everything, there is a hidden convenience cost.

If I go by what UPS lists as their fees, online, 400 miles,for a 2# box, 4"x8"x12":
UPS Next Day Air cost $73.85,
UPS 2nd Day Air cost $27.87
So about an extra $46.
I know, Amazon doesn't pay anything near to that cost, but it was some place to start.

So will Amazon be pricing themselves out of the market, for some inexpensive items that aren't in the local Amazon hub? Will Amazon become more limited in what items are eligible for Amazon Prime shipping? Will Amazon Prime, now that so many of us are hooked on it, become more and more expensive to subscribe to. In 2014, Prime went from $79 to $99 (25% increase), and in 2018 it went from $99 to $119 (a 20% increase). Amazon does seem to already be trying to find out where subscribers' pain points are.

So how much is it really costing for that one day "free" shipping?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 AM

Amazon says it is spending $800 million in the 2nd quarter of 2019 to improve its delivery infrastructure for one-day shipping. Note that this will only cover about 72% of the US population where the infrastructure supports it.

This confirms my personal observations that Amazon is not upgrading to UPS Overnight Air from UPS 2-day Air, but rather that they are working on getting the goods out of the warehouses and transporting them to the final destination more quickly on their own planes and trucks. Amazon now has a large air fleet of its own as well as a large truck fleet. It has been my observation the they seldom use UPS (or similar) to deliver packages long distances overnight. They use their own fleet to get the packages to distribution centers near the destination (or sometimes use bulk cargo services provided by UPS or others, not individual package services) and from there they use local delivery services (which are increasingly provided by their own AMZL).

I think the key here is getting more warehouses strategically located and getting stuff packed and out of the warehouse faster so that it can be shipped to the destination facility faster. They need a lot of capital improvements to accomplish this, but once the infrastructure is in place, operational costs should not be so much.

I have often wondered why it takes a lot of smaller e-commerce companies a week or more to get an order packed and out of their warehouse before it is even given to UPS or FedEx which then take another week to deliver it across country. Amazon has shown that this can be cut out.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:19 AM

A lot of the cost is buried by abhorrent labor practices. Amazon warehouses are near sweatshop labor which is engineered to prevent employees from having as much downtime as legally possible, and also ding them, including firing, over for the slightest mistakes (some of this being a strategy to prevent any sense of seniority and the pay increase expectations that come with it from manifesting).

Amazon can essentially eat a lot of the cost because it has the infrastructure to maintain these labor practices, investment in heavy automation, and because it has the capital to essentially out-service and out-price any competitors.

Do not underestimate Amazon's sheer bloody-minded willingness to eat a cost in one area to shut down or price out a competitor. They intentionally, using price monitoring bots, ran a huge loss on diapers for months just to put a nascent competitor called Diapers.com out of business so they could acquire them and shut them down. Amazon very much runs a "we will buy customers' loyalty until they have nowhere else to turn, then gut them" sort of business.

Last edited by Jragon; 06-10-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
A lot of the cost is buried by abhorrent labor practices. Amazon warehouses are near sweatshop labor which is engineered to prevent employees from having as much downtime as legally possible, and also ding them, including firing, over for the slightest mistakes (some of this being a strategy to prevent any sense of seniority and the pay increase expectations that come with it from manifesting).
That doesn't sound convincing to me, at least not if this is supposed to answer the OP's question. Labour practices (or, if we want to call it a little less class-struggle-y, optimisation) in Amazon warehouses may speed up the time it takes for the shipment to leave the warehouse and get on its way to the customer, but they can't speed up delivery times between leaving the warehouse and arriving at the customer's place.
"The banana has certain characteristics, appearance, taste, softness, seedlessness, easy handling, a constant level of production which enable it to satisfy the constant needs of an important section of the population consisting of the very young, the old and the sick."
Old 06-10-2019, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
Which got me wondering... Very little that I buy online really needs to be delivered in one day. If I get those socks, or the toilet paper or the replacement phone battery on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, it really won't make a smidge of difference in my life.
I can't think of anything I've ordered on line in my life that I couldn't wait a week for, never mind a day. For some time now Amazon has been offering a bonus of sorts if you opt for slow delivery, a sort of e-coupon towards your next purchase on at least some orders. I've happily taken advantage of that whenever I could. Anyhow, the point is that if you are paying attention you'll see there's a cost to the fast delivery.

Not that I order much physical stuff anyway - most of my Amazon purchases are e-things.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 AM

I sell a few products in my shop that are also sold on Amazon, so I have a little bit of an inside look (well, from a competitors perspective at least). They haven't raised their prices to cover the expense of faster free shipping (they still undercut me unless I drop my margins to next to nothing). They can do that because they buy in enough volume to fill up their warehouses which means they get the lowest possible wholesale prices from manufacturers.

This has been true for the last decade or so of course, so I suspect that the difference now is that they're simply still not really profitable. I suspect they're using "funny" corporate accounting to be able to cover the expenses of setting up and operating their own delivery verticals. I mean jets cost a ton of money, jet fuel is an exhorbitant ongoing cost, investing in a fleet of delivery vans isn't as much money as a fleet of jets, but still up there. I bet they're hedging the cost of many of these things against future profits.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

One day delivery ? - I can get same day delivery. But there are some caveats that make it pretty clear how it works. I must live in a zip code where the service is available. I must order by noon to get delivery by 9pm. And most tellingly, if I increase the number of a particular item , my order may lose the same day delivery option as there may be enough widgets in the local warehouse to fulfill my order of 2, but not enough if I order 6. It's basically the same thing as Staples same-day delivery, without the retail storefronts.

AS far as Amazon next day delivery, you can't compared it to the individual per piece price. Not only because Amazon certainly gets a discount, but also because they use a method that isn't really available to individual people or small businesses. When I get an Amazon delivery, it's often with my regular mail. That package did not get into the US mail stream in Reno, Nevada. It was fulfilled in one of the eight or so distribution centers within an hour or so of my house and dropped in the mail close to the delivery point- if not at my local post office, at the local mail sorting facility. It's almost as if I wanted to get a package to Albany overnight ( a trip that usually takes three days by mail) and to do so, I drove the package to Albany and dropped it in the recipient's post office. It makes no sense to do it for one package - I might as well just drive it to the recipient. But that doesn't mean it can't make sense for 1000 packages.

Last edited by doreen; 06-10-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Next-day delivery only works because they have removed as much of the human factor as they can. When you click that button, your order is instantly in the warehouse queue for picking. No paper is processed, no human intervention. Even the picking is probably automated and the first human to be involved is the one who puts your item in a box for shipping and that only takes a few seconds. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKrcpa8Z_E

After that, automation to the back of the correct truck and so on through hub(s) and out for loading in a delivery van. The only other person to be directly involved with your order is the one who delivers it.

The times when your order had to be printed and processed by people who take breaks and allow work to pile up are long gone. Even the delivery driver has their route planned, timed and monitored; if they stop for an unauthorised break they will be called to account.

Last edited by bob++; 06-10-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I can't think of anything I've ordered on line in my life that I couldn't wait a week for, never mind a day. For some time now Amazon has been offering a bonus of sorts if you opt for slow delivery, a sort of e-coupon towards your next purchase on at least some orders. I've happily taken advantage of that whenever I could. Anyhow, the point is that if you are paying attention you'll see there's a cost to the fast delivery.

Not that I order much physical stuff anyway - most of my Amazon purchases are e-things.
Thanks. You reminded me that I needed to order replacement heads for my toothbrush so I could get them by tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I live within 5 minutes of an Amazon warehouse and within 15 minutes of another. I see Amazon delivery trucks in my very small, 50-house neighborhood at least twice a day. And they work until 8 or 9 PM.

Up until very recently the drivers weren't driving Amazon vans, but third party rented Penske, which leads me to believe that up until recently they were using contracted, independent help (like Uber). Not sure if the branded vans are a different fleet of drivers or not.

So they're already doing things a little differently than existing delivery services. Longer hours, independent contractors, rented trucks.

Amazon is a warehousing and logistics company, first and foremost.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 AM

I have found that shipping prices, like hotels, rental cars, and many other things, are very elastic. Volume counts. That overnight package that you or I pay $73 for would cost a large company/organization that ships a lot only a few dollars. I have a friend that works for a major university and in addition to the great rates UPS gave them a shipping computer and UPS employees will even come box up packages for them.

Also if you are shipping to the same state or a nearby state, Ground will normally get there overnight anyway. So if Amazon is smart with their distribution center placement they won't be shipping Next Day anyway.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

At work we recently had to replace a lot of drives (and other stuff) on our Network Attached Storage system. Wierd issue that took a while for the NAS company to figure out.
We shipped back some of the problematic drives and the FEdex store quoted > $50. using the NAS account it dropped to $6.80 (I heard this secondhand so may be a bit off)
(one option considered was to hire a private plane to get some part to us. We were getting stuff 24/7)
The NAS is pretty mission critical so worth a maintanance contract...

Brian
Old 06-10-2019, 11:16 AM

I suspect Amazon's one-day delivery is not really comparable to UPS/FedEx. For example, there is a pretty limited set of items that are Prime one-day versus the normal two-day delivery. I suspect that's because those items are in stock in a local Amazon fulfillment center within some distance of your location, modified by what sort of infrastructure is between you and them. For example, someone who lives 30 miles out in the country may not have one-day delivery on much if anything, but someone 30 miles away along the interstate may have a lot of one-day options.

So they're not grabbing your item from the Portland, OR fulfillment center and delivering it to your house in Boca Raton in one day for free; they're taking it from the one just north of Miami. Same thing where I live- they're taking it from one of the 2-3 fulfillment centers in the area, not from somewhere in Minnesota.

UPS on the other hand, is providing a service to take your package from nearly anywhere in the US and deliver it to nearly anywhere else in the continental US overnight. So as long as you dropped your package off in Miami at the right time, they'll guarantee next-day delivery to Seattle (~2700 miles away) for $73.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
They can do that because they buy in enough volume to fill up their warehouses which means they get the lowest possible wholesale prices from manufacturers.
Bolding mine.

I am sure Amazon is too smart to be a warehouse. It doesn't make sense to sit on inventory.

Rather they have contracts with suppliers, which guarantees they will have product.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I suspect Amazon's one-day delivery is not really comparable to UPS/FedEx. For example, there is a pretty limited set of items that are Prime one-day versus the normal two-day delivery. I suspect that's because those items are in stock in a local Amazon fulfillment center within some distance of your location, modified by what sort of infrastructure is between you and them.
I'm sure this is it. They are achieving one-day delivery by building enough distribution centers that there is one within a 1-day ground shipping distance of every customer (or almost), and stocking every distribution center with the most popular items.

Last edited by scr4; 06-10-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Bolding mine.

I am sure Amazon is too smart to be a warehouse. It doesn't make sense to sit on inventory.

Rather they have contracts with suppliers, which guarantees they will have product.
Well, sorry, I meant the term "warehouse" loosely. They definitely have distribution centers, which can look just like warehouses. There's one a mile from my house.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcWoman View Post
I sell a few products in my shop that are also sold on Amazon, so I have a little bit of an inside look (well, from a competitors perspective at least). They haven't raised their prices to cover the expense of faster free shipping (they still undercut me unless I drop my margins to next to nothing). They can do that because they buy in enough volume to fill up their warehouses which means they get the lowest possible wholesale prices from manufacturers.

This has been true for the last decade or so of course, so I suspect that the difference now is that they're simply still not really profitable. I suspect they're using "funny" corporate accounting to be able to cover the expenses of setting up and operating their own delivery verticals. I mean jets cost a ton of money, jet fuel is an exhorbitant ongoing cost, investing in a fleet of delivery vans isn't as much money as a fleet of jets, but still up there. I bet they're hedging the cost of many of these things against future profits.
You also have an added expense in that you pay taxes on your profits, unlike Amazon.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 PM

The main reason that Amazon isn't profitable despite having money to spend freely is that they give stock-based compensation. As compensation, it's deductible for the company on their tax return, as well as shown as an expense on their financial statements (debit expense, credit stock). But it doesn't actually cost them anything - it just costs other stockholders their share of the company. If they want to maintain this level of compensation for their employees, eventually they'll have to suffer a drop in their stock price or shell out actual money. They are able to, at least for now, have financials that show them breaking even while being able to retain more cash which they can use for acquisitions that will boost the stock price and thus enable them to keep doling out compensation in that form. Only until they are unable to expand any further will this come to a head.

Last edited by glowacks; 06-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM

kopek works in one of amazons warehouses .... maybe we should ask him how it all works

Last edited by nightshadea; 06-10-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacks View Post
The main reason that Amazon isn't profitable ...
Amazon has been profitable for several years, including this one.

Amazon reports record profits of $3B, crushes Wall Street expectations for holiday quarter
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post

Amazon reports record profits of $3B, crushes Wall Street expectations for holiday quarter
Funny -- that's way different from what they said in their IRS tax return.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@T-Bonham.net View Post
Funny -- that's way different from what they said in their IRS tax return.
Yeah, yeah, very funny. Since we're in GQ, I'll remind you that businesses can apply expenses, losses, and other deductions against their taxes, which is how their total comes to zero.

Why Amazon paid no 2018 US federal income tax
Quote:
Amazonís low tax bill mainly stemmed from the Republican tax cuts of 2017, carryforward losses from years when the company was not profitable, tax credits for massive investments in R&D and stock-based employee compensation.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 PM

I knew someone in management at FedEx in Japan, and he said they really didn't save much from making slower deliveries. Their infrastructure is set up for moving things as quickly as possible. Occasionally, money can be saved by allowed a package to be bumped by another package if space for a particular shipment is tight, but for them it really didnít make sense to introduce a lower price for slower delivery.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 AM

Amazon isn't just a logistics/tech/resale/b2b/content/lobbying company, it exists at the perfect nexus of all of the above. Simultaneously, they are improving their infrastructure (often creating new infrastructure out of thin air), shoving out competitors with their incredible access to capital and branding, buying out competitors, leveraging economies of scale with UPS, pitting UPS and FedEx and the USPS against each other (and once they're weakened enough, launching their own logistics fleet), offloading some of their logistics capacities to beholden and bespoke independent delivery companies, fighting/buying governments to suit their needs (such as their endless corruptions of the Seattle city council to facilitate HQ expansions and their attempts to blackmail/bribe cities into acting as subsidized tax havens for HQ2), minimizing and exploiting labor, etc.

They are the perfect capitalist in the long-term ROI sense, turning the "company town" into the "company country," but they are really pretty terrible when it comes to their labor and competitive practices. Amazon isn't just a warehouse or just a logistics service or just a bookseller or just a Netflix competitor or just a lobby or just another internet services provider or just another OEM or just another publisher, etc., but a perfect example of the efficiencies and horrors of a horizontally integrated multinational megacorp. What they are is ruthless and efficient, and willing and able to use different parts of their business (and the promise of future growth) to subsidize others as needed, destroying current and nascent competitors and labor uprisings by sheer economies of scale and near-monopolies in many of their industries. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...cross-markets/ is a good overview of just how gigantically powerful they are. In any other era, they would've been a world superpower unto themselves (and they are, we just like to pretend like corporations are subservient to states; Amazon is not, not in any meaningful sense).

When you're #1 or #2 across many industries, each of which is a huge deal, it is really hard for any other competitor to meaningfully challenge you, because you can easily redirect 1% of your resources from your other industries to fight off the challenger, buy them out, and then reap their profits as your own after you've crushed them, all while ignoring ethical challenges to your practices because instead of changing your practices, you can afford to buy out entire cities, politicians, and countries.

To be fair, Amazon also undertook/expanded on a lot of risky innovations (online retail, 1-click, e-ink, B2B tech, Prime, AI/IoT, reviews, exceptional customer service)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon
Actually, not only are they a warehouse, they're many, many warehouses. And they're so good at it they sell warehousing services to other businesses, who pay to keep their products in Amazon warehouses, who then sell their products on Amazon.com, and who then pay Amazon again once the product ships (all while Amazon enjoys the benefit of listing their products). https://services.amazon.com/fulfillm...n/benefits.htm They do similar things for ebooks, real books, music, movies, apps, etc. They are a marketplace of marketplaces.

The more you do business with Amazon, the better it is for Amazon, the less important your own brand/business becomes, the more reviews Amazon gets, the more customer satisfaction and retention they get, the better their logistics get, etc... but if you don't do business with Amazon, your competitor will, and their stuff will be cheaper, get there faster, and have way better customer service than your small shop ever will. So what do you do? You play along.

Last edited by Reply; 06-11-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Amazon even has its own space program.

I bet if they wanted, they could use that New Glenn rocket to deliver orders. Yep, no need for airplanes, vans and drones. Just load up the rocket and fly it around the Earth, dropping off packages to land (via parachute? retrorocket?) in people's back yards.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post

Amazon makes most of their money from AWS, and a little bit from selling books and stuff (very little considering the volume they do).

A big part of the reason is that fulfilling orders is labor intensive. An ecommerce operation like Amazon has much higher labor costs compared to a brick and mortar store. In a typical retail store the consumer performs the picking operation which is typically about 40 to 60% of the labor costs within a distribution center. For Amazon, they had to hire a bunch of people to walk 10 miles per day picking the items instead of being able to have the consumer carry it for free to the checkout/packing area.

Automation helps, but it's not cheap either.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I can't think of anything I've ordered on line in my life that I couldn't wait a week for, never mind a day.
This may be true, but it's probably the wrong way to think about it.

How often do you not order something online but buy it locally because you need it today or tomorrow? I try to plan things out, but even then I still make at least a few semi-unplanned trips to various local stores each month because I need something faster than 2-day Prime shipping will get it to me.

Amazon would love for me to make those purchases with them instead, and if they make it cheap enough, I will, and so will a lot of people.

To the OP, I expect we're not paying as much more as you might think, because the way that Amazon is shipping faster is by improving logistics. More warehouses closer to more customers with better estimates of what things people will order on a given day makes shipping faster, and costs not much more if you crunch the data right.

One way to ship things quickly is to use (expensive) fast transport methods. The other way is to use (cheap) slow transport methods, with really good predictions about when and where to route them. I expect Amazon is mostly doing the latter.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post

How often do you not order something online but buy it locally because you need it today or tomorrow? I try to plan things out, but even then I still make at least a few semi-unplanned trips to various local stores each month because I need something faster than 2-day Prime shipping will get it to me.
Indeed. There are many times I would have just gone to the local store to get something I need within the next day and just ended up doing it online from Amazon because it's cheaper and more convenient. Many times. So for every Broomstick that could wait a week for a purchase, I'm sure there's plenty of us who need something ASAP and would go to a brick and mortar instead, but Amazon has a same-day or next-day option that is good enough and often cheaper overall.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I'm sure there's plenty of us who need something ASAP and would go to a brick and mortar instead
Speaking as someone who owns a small shop, this is true. I lose a lot of business to the local brick and mortar stores. I have merchandise that moves extremely slowly online, but when I take it to my in-person vending events, it moves just fine. Lots of people shop impulsively - if it's there in front of them, that's when they whip out the wallet. I've also had a few online customers who email me to ask how quickly I can ship because "I need it by Tuesday".
Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post

How often do you not order something online but buy it locally because you need it today or tomorrow?
Maybe once or twice a year? I have very few spontaneous "emergency" needs these days.

And, as much as Amazon might like it, I somehow don't think I'll be able to order a tankful of gas for my car or truck to be delivered, which is about the only purchase I make that can't wait a day or two. Even that is pretty rare, as I normally refuel at a quarter-tank, which can last me 3-4 days with normal driving.

Of course, I might be an outlier.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for dotcoms that will deliver gas to your car. Here is one, but it's not the only one.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:39 PM

If you type your item description into google, the first result seems to always be amazon. You can scroll down however and find other vendors. Since they usually tell you what the shipping cost is, you can find out how much you are paying for free delivery. It's time-consuming though. Moreover, some places will waive shipping costs if you spend enough and where are you then? Still it looks like amazon prices are a couple of bucks higher for cheap stuff, and often the same as competitors for more expensive stuff. Also, I find it's often hard to find an "apples to apples" comparison on stuff.

One more thing, the pop-up ads and the like a probably a good source of income for these web sites, replacing displays at the front of a brick and mortar store that you have to walk past to get what you came for.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for dotcoms that will deliver gas to your car. Here is one, but it's not the only one.
Neat. Although they don't (yet) serve my neighborhood. And I also notice that apparently they are only delivering to a particular neighborhoods on particular days, they're not something you can get in a pinch. On the other hand, if you DO have someone top off your tank twice a week you're less likely to run low/out without warning.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:48 PM

I love this. Newegg will sell you a Toshiba 4TB Canvio for Desktop External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 for $125.99
https://www.newegg.com/p/1E8-0008-00...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

but by clicking around you can find a Toshiba 4TB Canvio for Desktop External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 for $94.99 from ... Newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/toshiba-model...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Neat. Although they don't (yet) serve my neighborhood. And I also notice that apparently they are only delivering to a particular neighborhoods on particular days, they're not something you can get in a pinch. On the other hand, if you DO have someone top off your tank twice a week you're less likely to run low/out without warning.
I have to (cynically) wonder are they selling gas to the public, or just hoping to sell a web business to amazon?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe once or twice a year? I have very few spontaneous "emergency" needs these days.
It doesn't have to be an emergency - but at least a couple of times a month I realize I want/need something within the next couple of days rather than a week later. Maybe I want the foot peel but I don't want to wait a week for shipment. I can order it from Amazon prime and get it in tomorrow or I can go to Ulta after work and get it. I mean, you might be really good at planning all your shopping in advance , so that you're almost never in a situation where you want or need something today or tomorrow- but it's also possible that it happens all the time and you just aren't thinking of those situations. For example stamps- I buy stamps at the post office specifically because if I order them online they will not be delivered the next day and I use stamps rarely enough that I typically don't want to wait a week for them. I would never go to the post office for stamps if I could buy them online and get them delivered the next day.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
I mean, you might be really good at planning all your shopping in advance , so that you're almost never in a situation where you want or need something today or tomorrow- but it's also possible that it happens all the time and you just aren't thinking of those situations. For example stamps- I buy stamps at the post office specifically because if I order them online they will not be delivered the next day and I use stamps rarely enough that I typically don't want to wait a week for them. I would never go to the post office for stamps if I could buy them online and get them delivered the next day.
I actually get my stamps at the same store I work at. Available from any cashier at the front of the store any day of the week 24/7.

I think in my case I really am that methodical about planning my shopping. I hate shopping (ironic, given where I work).

And I get that you might not want to wait a week for something - like the foot peel you mentioned - but I would be willing to do so. I just don't feel urgent about anything I need or want these days.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Of course, I might be an outlier.
I think you probably are an outlier, although I don't have good data. I believe that my 2-3 times a month figure puts me on the low end of "things needed on short notice" spectrum.

A lot of my failure to adequately plan is driven by my young children, who often do not behave in easily predictable ways. But not all of it.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Ah, well, children will complicate things.

I do not have children and now live alone. I'm not having another household member spring surprises on me.

I'm not saying it never happens, but it would be exceedingly rare for me.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
I'm sure this is it. They are achieving one-day delivery by building enough distribution centers that there is one within a 1-day ground shipping distance of every customer (or almost), and stocking every distribution center with the most popular items.
Underline mine.

True. Recently I simultaneously made a purchase of a 40-pound bag of smoker pellets and a Blu-ray copy of Ralph Wrecks the Internet. Usually I try to make multi-purchases at least similar in size and weight but I needed the former and remembered the latter when I was about to click on the Order button. Both were free but the disc arrived the next day while the pellets took five days.

I was just as happy they did not stuff the disc case into the same carton as the pellets.