Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Did I Accidentally Report a Post?

Nobody answered my question here (simply scroll down to my second post). So I will post it in ATMB.

So I accidentally hit the wrong button, then quickly hit the back button. What, if anything, did I do?

BTW, I actually have contemplated reporting posts in the past. But by then the Moderator had already replied as well. So I figured s/he already knew what was going on. So what was the point?

I humbly await your replies.

Last edited by Jim B.; 01-13-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

A post is reported only when you hit the "send report" button. If you didn't do that, you didn't report it.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Charter Member

Clicking on "report" should give you a screen asking for the reason you're reporting, and then will give you a button to submit. As long as you don't click to submit the report, we aren't notified. I'll double check but I don't think we received any reports from you.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't worry about it ... if it's a meaningless report, the mods will just simply delete it ... no harm, no foul ...

Generally, the mods don't read each and every thread ... so if you think there's a rules violation, go ahead and report it ... if you don't hear anything back, then what you reported wasn't a rules violation ... figure the mods would rather delete five reports than have one thread spin out of control ...

We don't know, that seemly petty report might just be the very thing the mods are looking for to make some manner of punishment ... someone broke a $5 lock on my garage once, didn't take anything, only on a lark I decided to report it to the police ... pfffft ... the detective was there in an hour, he knew exactly who did it and I had the evidence he needed to arrest and convict ... we just never know, so better to report and be ignored ...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Charter Member

I confirmed. We did not receive a report from you.

Definitely feel free to report something if you think it might be breaking the rules, but keep in mind we don't respond to every report. Sometimes people are mistaken about the rules, or in some cases how we respond depends on how things are playing out in the thread. Our goal is to facilitate civil discussion with the least amount of intervention necessary. We would rather have someone report it, though, so we can make that judgment call.

As a personal request, please familiarize yourself with the rules of the board, including the TOS, before reporting something. And keep in mind that every forum has different rules.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM

There are no "acksidents."
Old 01-13-2018, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
So I accidentally hit the wrong button, then quickly hit the back button. What, if anything, did I do?
I wonder if you might be responsible for that false missile text sent in Hawaii...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM

You better hope this wasn't what caused that faulty missile attack warning in Hawaii!!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:35 PM

Yes, and you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM

This just in...

SDMB members accidentally clicks report button and sends emergency alert message to Hawaiian Islands. Film to follow.