Old 01-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
It's fairly common around here to see the shoulder labeled as pork butt or bone-in pork butt. Still, that's one big chunk of bone and not splinters.
That's what I mean. I'd be expecting a chunk o' bone too, not slivers.

For kicks, any chance of going back to the store and asking someone in the meat department about it? It's strange enough that they should take notice in the name of good customer service.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:02 PM

OK, so I've backed off this thread because I'm tired of ranting about my still nonunion foot. Nevertheless I was given the OK to return to work on a limited schedule with a laundry list of restrictions. My employer found me a temporary position in another department. It also looks like I won't be returning to my old position anytime soon given that hours were cut in the department. Strangely, that doesn't bother me now as much as it used to. Maybe I am, in the words of a friend, burnt out.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Apparently my dumb ass got into some poison ivy. Itchy fucking rash across both forearms, and my left armpit - so no antiperspirant there, which was FUN for that job interview yesterday - in addition to interesting spots like both hips and my left earlobe. Sleep is a distant memory.

Did I mention that I'm trying to get a job? So here in Murrica ("fuck yeah!") that means I also have no health insurance, which is roughly the same as no access to health care. So ... aloe leaves it is.

I joked last night that I should sleep wearing mittens so I can't scratch in my sleep, the way they do with newborn babies. Thinking that might actually be a good idea.

What is sleep? Is it fun? I dimly recall enjoying it.
Tecnu soap and Calagel. Kills poison ivy itch dead. Available at most drugstores.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 PM

I'm a runner. If you do the right/wrong(?) races you get on email lists. Not that big a deal...usually.

However, this evening I got one; they've had a 5k (3.1 miles) & 10k (6.2 miles) for decades; this year they're adding a brand new event, a half-marathon (13.1 miles). Hurry! Quick! Sign up by the end of the month before the price increases!!!

Ummm, it's a Halloween race; the last Sat in October & it's still January. A brand spankin' new race 9 months away?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Tecnu soap and Calagel. Kills poison ivy itch dead. Available at most drugstores.
You're my new best friend. Imma head to the closest CVS tomorrow. Thank you sincerely.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:11 AM

... aaaaaand that's how purplehorseshoe joined the People Of Wal-Mart.

Your hint about the Technu to wash off urushiol made me realize how I'm re-contaminating myself, and now I'm laundering everything washable and wound up in the pharmacy aisle at 3 a.m. muttering to myself about being unclean while dressed exactly as someone with zero fucks to give would usually dress, complete with sandals-and-socks combo because, again, zero giveafucks. Even the lone employee at the registers gave me a judgey look, and that woman has probably seen some shit.

But I don't itch quite so badly now and hopefully the laundry marathon will stop it from spreading so if there is any kindness left in the gods I'm gonna sleep now.

Also I bought a betta fish while I was at the store, but he's just gonna hafta be Tomorrow Me's problem.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Also I bought a betta fish while I was at the store, but he's just gonna hafta be Tomorrow Me's problem.
Were they on special for lent?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
You're my new best friend. Imma head to the closest CVS tomorrow. Thank you sincerely.
*bows* I live to serve.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:33 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
... aaaaaand that's how purplehorseshoe joined the People Of Wal-Mart.
It only counts if you bring your children there to discipline them.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM

Godalfuckingmighty I'm ready to take a belt sander to my forearms. I'm actually kinda glad to be unemployed, since looking like a fucking leper while operating on 2 hrs sleep a night isn't compatible with being around people.

Oh!! That reminds me, I got a lead for a copy edit gig that's likely WFH and I gotta get right on that shit. As much as my foggy brain can rally.

I've never had poison ivy before in my life. This is pure fucking mysery, y'all. I hereby wish this upon my worst enemy.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Rest assured the betta purchased during my 3 a.m. "look like Crazy Cat Lady from the Simpsons" adventures is fine. I set up his new home the next morning, and I really was planning to get another one soon anyway.

I was being flippant in my post for lulz but am not in any way, shape, or form one of those people who impulsively buys animals because Teh Cute or whatever, or who treats animals like disposable toys/decoration without needs of their own.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Godalfuckingmighty I'm ready to take a belt sander to my forearms. I'm actually kinda glad to be unemployed, since looking like a fucking leper while operating on 2 hrs sleep a night isn't compatible with being around people.

Oh!! That reminds me, I got a lead for a copy edit gig that's likely WFH and I gotta get right on that shit. As much as my foggy brain can rally.

I've never had poison ivy before in my life. This is pure fucking mysery, y'all. I hereby wish this upon my worst enemy.
A friend of mine used to use lye soap (not sure of the brand) and, I believe, a pumice stone on her outbreaks. Mind you, she was sensitive enough to poison ivy that if she were several miles downwind of someone stupid enough to be burning it, she'd break out into rashes.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Went to pick up some prescriptions last night. One came up at $380.00.
To say I was very WTF?!?! is an understatement.
Turns out deductibles have changed. I have a $3k "regular" deductible and now $500 prescription deductible.
There's no way around it, I have to cough up the money if I want to be able to eat. Don't know where I'm going to find the money, since I just popped $2800 into my car, but eating is kind of important.
Stupid insurance. Stupid body.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:15 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

I am virtually immune to poison ivy, but Virginia creeper causes me to break out.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I am virtually immune to poison ivy, but Virginia creeper causes me to break out.
Be careful - I hear lots of tales of people who were immune to poison ivy, right up until they weren't. Apparently what doesn't kill you makes you weaker in this case (multiple exposures leading to allergic reaction). No cite.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Apparently my dumb ass got into some poison ivy. Itchy fucking rash across both forearms, and my left armpit - so no antiperspirant there, which was FUN for that job interview yesterday - in addition to interesting spots like both hips and my left earlobe. Sleep is a distant memory.

Did I mention that I'm trying to get a job? So here in Murrica ("fuck yeah!") that means I also have no health insurance, which is roughly the same as no access to health care. So ... aloe leaves it is.

I joked last night that I should sleep wearing mittens so I can't scratch in my sleep, the way they do with newborn babies. Thinking that might actually be a good idea.

What is sleep? Is it fun? I dimly recall enjoying it.
Benedryl pills, benedryl spray [the one that sort of makes a plasic skin over the owchie] and domeboro/borroughs solution soaks. I am allergic to hyrocortisone cream which is another suggestion for OTC treatment
Old 02-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Be careful - I hear lots of tales of people who were immune to poison ivy, right up until they weren't. Apparently what doesn't kill you makes you weaker in this case (multiple exposures leading to allergic reaction). No cite.
Mosquito bites give me a bump that lasts about ten minutes. I think it comes from living in the woods for many years.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Mosquito bites give me a bump that lasts about ten minutes. I think it comes from living in the woods for many years.
Sorry, I'm supposed to rant.
My apologies.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
From what I understand about allergies, it often can take time for someone's immune system to trigger the allergies. This is why folks are often heard saying "I was never allergic to anything, then I had an allergic reaction to X and now I am allergic to X, Y and worse of all, Z.

I didn't develop "hay fever" until I was 30. Now just looking at pictures of pollen covered pines are enough to make my eyes start to water.

My BB is home for as long as it takes for me to make photo quality copies of the plat maps for the highly disputed oil line. (Feds have given their OK, State has given its OK, tree huggers are claiming that the line isn't correctly placed within the original easements.) I have all of this stuff and it would take me about 2 hours to have everything done by myself.

I haven't seen my BB for almost 2 weeks and have moved to our new home without him. Is it wrong that I told him that my minion couldn't come to move boxes until tomorrow morning, so he would just have to sleep in our bed tonight?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Mere Member

Interrupting the ranting to ask if this is now going to be a year-long rant thread and we won't see any clever new titles every month?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:40 PM

I was puzzled by your comment, and realized that I'd totally missed the fact that it's February already!

And we all missed the fact that we could start a new thread... (I blame the fact that we were busy partaking of Post #420) [/snark]

Last edited by digs; 02-01-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

I hate it when they start a new rant thread!

Well, we are supposed to rant here, allergy immunity or not.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:14 PM

It ain't February 'til Puxatawny Phil says it is!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:15 PM

I started one. Doesn't have a cute name, just a very old (english) name for February.

Makin' ya learn somethin.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Here's a link to February.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:11 AM

And with that, I'll close this thread.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM

nm

Last edited by Isamu; 02-02-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
From what I understand about allergies, it often can take time for someone's immune system to trigger the allergies. This is why folks are often heard saying "I was never allergic to anything, then I had an allergic reaction to X and now I am allergic to X, Y and worse of all, Z.

I didn't develop "hay fever" until I was 30. Now just looking at pictures of pollen covered pines are enough to make my eyes start to water.
I was normally allergic to poison ivy til I was 14 and had a 6 month run of it over 85% of me ... now I can practically roll around in the stuff and nothing. I have even copped a roadside piss in a patch and got nothing ... my husband is one that can look at a picture and get it though.