Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

When did the Basic Cable "Fuck" Wall get Broken? Regular use on SyFy's The Magicians.

I watched the first episode of season three. It continues to be not bad. But several characters dropped F bombs. When did that start becoming okay?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:23 AM

I hear it on Mr. Robot all the time. It is quite shocking sometimes.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

For a while now. Heck, CNN anchors were saying "shithole" yesterday without blinking an eye. Any restrictions on cable language is from the broadcasters themselves and presumably with input from advertisers.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
For a while now. Heck, CNN anchors were saying "shithole" yesterday without blinking an eye.
Not just televised news. It says "shithole" right on the front page of the Washington Post today, and probably a whole lot of other newspapers, too. Really making me feel like an old man here but that's just not right.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Van Helsing is doing it, too. At least on Netflix, it remains unbleeped.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Cable stations were never subject to FCC broadcast regulations regarding decency. They chose on their own not to avoid the seven words you can't say on TV, but evidently feel now that it's not going to seriously affect the number of viewers, though they may still willingly limit how often it's used.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 01-12-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Not just televised news. It says "shithole" right on the front page of the Washington Post today, and probably a whole lot of other newspapers, too. Really making me feel like an old man here but that's just not right.
It's my understanding that TV can quote the President verbatim. Johnny Carson did in when Pres Carter said "I'll kick his ass."
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Happy! is hitting some incredible new heights here.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:57 AM

Cable has never had a barrier the way broadcast TV does - it's always been a matter of whether you can get enough advertisers to pay for a swearing show. South Park on Comedy Central was known for playing with the limits of swearing as far back as 2001, and I'm pretty sure some of the non-premium movie channels played unbleeped movies in the 90s.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Hasn't "bullshit" already snuck its way into broadcast TV?
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Watching CNN last night was like seeing that episode of South Park where they say "Shit" 167 times.

Anyway "Breaking Bad" dropped a few f-bombs during its run.

Last edited by joebuck20; 01-12-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

True, cable voluntarily self-censored for most of its existence. The question is why it has it been changing recently?

My guess is that the regular cable channels are feeling the heat from the pay cable channels. When HBO and Showtime started to bring home boxcars full of awards for their unregulated original series it put pressure on every other cable original series to compete. (Even more so with a thousand streaming channels.) Sex, violence, and swearing were ways to do that. Network television keeps inching closer as well, but that has real walls.

I'm pretty sure that the shows would already have broken more boundaries except that the younger audiences who wouldn't be offended are feeling rapidly, leaving the older audiences who apparently are more sensitive. The occasional dirty word is the compromise.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I'm pretty sure that the shows would already have broken more boundaries except that the younger audiences who wouldn't be offended are feeling rapidly, leaving the older audiences who apparently are more sensitive.
I wonder which generation of "old people" will no longer pretend they never cursed or did drugs in their twenties, because the Vietnam Generation apparently ain't it.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
True, cable voluntarily self-censored for most of its existence. The question is why it has it been changing recently?

My guess is that the regular cable channels are feeling the heat from the pay cable channels. When HBO and Showtime started to bring home boxcars full of awards for their unregulated original series it put pressure on every other cable original series to compete. (Even more so with a thousand streaming channels.) Sex, violence, and swearing were ways to do that. Network television keeps inching closer as well, but that has real walls.

I'm pretty sure that the shows would already have broken more boundaries except that the younger audiences who wouldn't be offended are feeling rapidly, leaving the older audiences who apparently are more sensitive. The occasional dirty word is the compromise.
That feels right and speaks to what I was after in the OP.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
Hasn't "bullshit" already snuck its way into broadcast TV?
In 2001 ABC aired Saving Private Ryan uncensored during prime time on Veterans Day, and I'm pretty sure there's at least one 'bullshit' in there.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
In 2001 ABC aired Saving Private Ryan uncensored during prime time on Veterans Day, and I'm pretty sure there's at least one 'bullshit' in there.
NYPD Blue was throwing in a bullshit in nearly every episode for a while, and ER was doing it a bit too prior to ms jackson if she's nasty showing her nip at the stupid bowl. But bullshit is no fuck, so it was always going to get more common faster, like ass in the early 90's on stuff like In Living Color.

Bates Motel on A&E was pretty loose with the expletives, but judging by complaints around here they were blanking them out on certain reairings depending on the time slot.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure the German guy digging the grave says "Fuck Hitler"
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM

South Park said shit 162 times in 2001. The traditional cutoff is 10 pm or sometimes 9. It may occasionally be ignored for artistic merit, IIRC the aforementioned Saving Private Ryan was justified this way.

I don't have cable anymore, but it seems that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has had unbleeped "shit" for quite some time. Again on cable it just means that "family values" companies won't want to advertise with them. Only broadcast TV has FCC standards. And premium channels can do whatever they darn hecking want as they are user-supported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Van Helsing is doing it, too. At least on Netflix, it remains unbleeped.
I don't know how it originally aired, but many shows will record a non-bleeped version but bleep it for the first airing, but leave it uncensored for DVD and streaming. Family Guy etc. is that way.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
Anyway "Breaking Bad" dropped a few f-bombs during its run.
I don't remember that. In fact, I specifically remember them bleeping it on the line "I fucked Ted" in the episode "I.F.T."
Old 01-12-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:

My guess is that the regular cable channels are feeling the heat from the pay cable channels.
I think you're right, but we can't disinclude the internet. "Fuck" is very, very common, from message boards to news articles to comics. Just one example is from Mikel Jollet's twitter feed: https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett (it shows a closeup, presumably of a protestor, holding a sign that says, "Shit is fucked up and stuff").
Old 01-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I've also seen "Schindler's List" and the documentary "9/11" on network TV, uncensored.

C-SPAN 2's "About Books" does not censor either; a few seconds before someone uses profanity on a recorded show, a message pops up that says "This program includes language which may be offensive to some viewers" or words to that effect.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM

"Goddamn" came in during the 1980s with LA Law.

I imagine we're probably about 18 days away from the putative POTUS dropping an F-bomb or two in the State of the Union Address. That should tear down all standards of language once and for all.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I've also seen "Schindler's List" and the documentary "9/11" on network TV, uncensored.
If I remember right (maybe not about the exact showings you're thinking of, but still), the networks said something to effect of, "Yeah, these shows have swearing, but we feel the subject matter is important enough to warrant including it. You can't show a realistic Normandy invasion with soldiers saying, 'Gosh darn it, I got shot. I'm gonna get them no-good, rotten Germans!'"

Last edited by Leo Krupe; 01-12-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I don't remember that. In fact, I specifically remember them bleeping it on the line "I fucked Ted" in the episode "I.F.T."
Right. "Breaking Bad" had "fuck" bleeped (well silenced, there was no bleep noise) when it first aired on AMC. The Netflix version is unedited. I am not sure if any of the recent marathon showings on AMC were still bleeped or not.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:13 PM

Does anybody else remember it being newsworthy when some prime-time sitcom was going to have an episode where somebody says the word "Shit" and that the plot was going to revolve around it, but apparently in the actual episode it's some random guy who says "Shit happens" at the very end of the episode?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 PM

Jefferson Airplane let a "fuck" and a "motherfucker" fly on the Dick Cavett Show, which was on ABC, on, August 19, 1969.

F-Bomb (the full verse here is "In order to survive we steal, cheat, lie, forge, fuck, hide and deal")
MF-Bomb.

One I distinctly remember was Dr. Greene saying "shit" on E.R. back in 2002.

Last edited by goldmund; 01-12-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 PM

I also remember when the "JFK" movie was shown on network TV, and a very foul-mouthed character had the word "frig" spliced in. Um, hello, that word means exactly the same thing.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:38 PM

Any fans of "The Shield" (the FX cop series from around 2002 - 2008)? Seems like they pushed the envelope on there pretty well; not sure if that ever crossed over into "F Bomb" territory though.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Does anybody else remember it being newsworthy when some prime-time sitcom was going to have an episode where somebody says the word "Shit" and that the plot was going to revolve around it, but apparently in the actual episode it's some random guy who says "Shit happens" at the very end of the episode?
Chicago Hope apparently
Old 01-13-2018, 02:14 PM

I was thinking it was NYPD Blue
Old 01-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Me too, via South Parks obvious NYPD Blue reference, "Cop Drama."

But while Googling for NYPD Blue I found the literal line here:
http://www.southparkwillie.com/Season5/E502secrets.htm

The South Park episode's usage is similarly mundane. "You've got some shit on the side of your mouth right there."

Last edited by thelurkinghorror; 01-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 PM

About 2 minutes ago somebody (accidentally, I assume?) just dropped a f-bomb on SNL.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:58 PM

And here's the clip.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
About 2 minutes ago somebody (accidentally, I assume?) just dropped a f-bomb on SNL.
I heard that too!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I heard that too!
And now they've said "shithole" twice on Weekend Update. This is possibly the most "bad words" in a SNL episode not hosted by Richard Pryor.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Blocked by NBC/Universal on copyright grounds. I had to use a VPN to see it.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Cable has never had a barrier the way broadcast TV does - it's always been a matter of whether you can get enough advertisers to pay for a swearing show. South Park on Comedy Central was known for playing with the limits of swearing as far back as 2001, and I'm pretty sure some of the non-premium movie channels played unbleeped movies in the 90s.
Context does matter. I remember about 20 years ago Shindler's List was broadcast completely uncut, all pubes, dongs, boobs, head shots, and corpses clearly visible. But I don't recall hearing any complaints about it, either. The reasoning was obvious.

Last edited by Lizard; 01-14-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Blocked by NBC/Universal on copyright grounds. I had to use a VPN to see it.
It was so appropriate in the context I don't see why anyone would complain.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It was so appropriate in the context I don't see why anyone would complain.
And now it's been removed by the uploader, so it's gone.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Context does matter. I remember about 20 years ago Shindler's List was broadcast completely uncut, all pubes, dongs, boobs, head shots, and corpses clearly visible. But I don't recall hearing any complaints about it, either. The reasoning was obvious.
Not so obvious for some. At the time, Republican Rep. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma said the airing "should outrage parents and decent-minded individuals everywhere" and "I cringe when I realize that there were children all across this nation watching this program. They were exposed to the violence of multiple gunshot head wounds, vile language, full frontal nudity and irresponsible sexual activity."

During his next day "apology," he blamed the media for taking his comments out of context.

Last edited by zbuzz; 01-14-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Not so obvious for some. At the time, Republican Rep. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma said the airing "should outrage parents and decent-minded individuals everywhere" and "I cringe when I realize that there were children all across this nation watching this program. They were exposed to the violence of multiple gunshot head wounds, vile language, full frontal nudity and irresponsible sexual activity."
Ah yes, Oklahoman children, who year-in and year-out have a teen pregnancy rate in the top-10 in the nation, should never be allowed to SEE iresponsible sexual activity, lest they get ideas!

Old 01-14-2018, 11:01 PM

My recollection (in answer to the OP), is that the show that really made a "thing" out of saying "fuck" on cable without reservation was Deadwood. I recall watching that show (which was an HBO original series) early on during its run (2004 to 2006), and being quite annoyed with the fact that the writers apparently thought anyone and everyone in Deadwood, South Dakota must have said the word about every third word.

Not sure if cable had any shows on it before that which consistently used "fuck", but I don't recall any.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
My recollection (in answer to the OP), is that the show that really made a "thing" out of saying "fuck" on cable without reservation was Deadwood. I recall watching that show (which was an HBO original series) early on during its run (2004 to 2006), and being quite annoyed with the fact that the writers apparently thought anyone and everyone in Deadwood, South Dakota must have said the word about every third word.

Not sure if cable had any shows on it before that which consistently used "fuck", but I don't recall any.
I recall the word "cocksucker" the most from that show. Before Deadwood premiered, HBO had other shows like OZ and The Sopranos that both used the word "fuck" a lot. And starting in the 70s, they ran George Carlin performances uncensored.

Last edited by cochrane; 01-15-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I also remember when the "JFK" movie was shown on network TV, and a very foul-mouthed character had the word "frig" spliced in. Um, hello, that word means exactly the same thing.
And shit means the exact same thing as poopie, so?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I recall the word "cocksucker" the most from that show. Before Deadwood premiered, HBO had other shows like OZ and The Sopranos that both used the word "fuck" a lot. And starting in the 70s, they ran George Carlin performances uncensored.
Not to mention all the uncensored, uncut R rated movies!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I seem to remember some bruhaha in the 80's before I ever saw the show, about host Carol Burnett saying "penis"
Old 01-21-2018, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

...and Vickie Lawrence saying “asshole.”
Old 03-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
I seem to remember some bruhaha in the 80's before I ever saw the show, about host Carol Burnett saying "penis"
I think that was Mary Tyler Moore, in 1988 IIRC. There had been a sketch the week before that used the word 28 times. MTM pretended to be disapproving, but ended the monologue by breaking character and announcing "Elvis Costello's penis is here tonight!"

Last edited by F. U. Shakespeare; 03-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.