My forearm is facing my face. 33 20.75%
My arm points more or less straight out. 17 10.69%
My arm points more or less down toward my legs. 17 10.69%
Other. Behind me. Sticking up in the air. I only have one arm. Etc. 26 16.35%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
Because I suffer from frequent shoulder pain and I want to see what works for other people.
Ahh, thanks, makes sense. Hopefully you’ll find a comfortable solution.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Always under a side sleeper pillow to rest my head on, since I pinched nerves in both arms not using such a pillow.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 PM

If I'm on my left side, which is rare 'cause I don't sleep well that direction, it is under my wife's neck with my hand on her lower back/abdomen. More often I'm on my right side and I go fetal position with my arm curled so that my fist is under my chin.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 PM

You know?

I'm not really all that sure. I always fall asleep on my back but wake up on my side, usually in pain.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because I suffer from frequent shoulder pain and I want to see what works for other people.
Science (or at least marketing) claims to have an answer for that: https://www.medcline.com/medcline-lp...lief-solution/ I suspect there may be cheaper knockoffs. I don't actually have one, but I also have the shoulder pain and have been considering it. (Also not sure if this is the same as the "side sleeper pillows" mentioned above).

Last edited by TimeWinder; 05-18-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
God yes! I used to sleep with elbow straight up, under my head, then my hand almost touching my shoulder; but that has supposedly been the cause of my recent shoulder impingement that I've been going to physical therapy for. The shoulder impingement then caused tennis elbow type problems.

I finally got blessed relief after a shot of cortisone in the shoulder, but over the last week it's starting to come back. I'm fairly confident it's the way I sleep that's causing the problem; as my 'good' shoulder is starting to hurt in the mornings now too.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Science (or at least marketing) claims to have an answer for that: https://www.medcline.com/medcline-lp...lief-solution/ I suspect there may be cheaper knockoffs. I don't actually have one, but I also have the shoulder pain and have been considering it. (Also not sure if this is the same as the "side sleeper pillows" mentioned above).
$238 seems like quite a bit for that funky pillow. I could probably learn to sleep on my back; but then I wake up with a sore back.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
I’ve seen those and it looks like it might work (and help with reflux too) but I’m afraid that it would give me late onset scoliosis.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM

Left side, arm tucked under pillow.
Right side, arm pointed down and out due to a shoulder injury.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Depends on the side. Left - arm is across chest holding right shoulder. Right - arm is under pillow propped against headboard. For some reason my right arm is not comfortable doing what left arm does.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 AM

I use two pillows and my bottom arm is over one and under the other.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:07 PM

One arm under a pillow under my head, the other arm over a pillow above my head. Basically, my head is the meat in a pillow sandwich.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 AM

When I sleep on my side, I actually tuck my other hand under my head and have the other arm almost straight down under it. (But I do not lay on that arm. It's just almost parallel to my body.)

After reading this poll, I tried reversing it, and it felt weird. I never lay on my palm. But I always need one hand under my head, even in other positions.

Though, for some reason, I've always found it nearly impossible to go to sleep while lying face up.

Last edited by BigT; 05-24-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Other. I "hug myself" when I sleep. So, my "lower" arm is wrapped around my upper body, my hand on my neck or opposite shoulder.
I've done that too, come to think of it. Sometimes it gets closer to crossed arms, though.