Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 PM

What the heck is going on with our school lunch program?

I always paid for my school lunch. I think it was 50 cents? It was my understanding poor kids ate free.

The entire reason for the school lunch was to ensure that disadvantaged kids get at least one nutritious meal a day. IIRC it's Federally subsidized?

Arkansas even extends the lunch program into the summer for kids in need. Studies revealed some kids were going hungry during the long school break.

Why are we taking such a hard attitude towards kids that can't pay for their lunch?

I keep seeing articles like this...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/us/lu...rnd/index.html

This is absolute bullshit imho The lunch program exists to feed these disadvantaged kids. So feed them!

I remember a few times that I forgot my lunch money. They told me to pay the next day. No big deal. Now they fire people? WTH?
Quote:
When a student at a New Hampshire high school put items on his tray that he didn't have the money for, lunchroom employee Bonnie Kimball didn't think it was a big deal.

She told the student to make sure to pay the next day. She wasn't worried as she had known the boy's parents since they were children, and had no doubt that the $8 lunch tab would soon be taken care of. And the next morning, she told CNN, that's exactly what happened.

About a week later though, she was fired by the district manager of Café Services, the food services company that employed her.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM

We have food service companies providing processed food with the bare minimum of nutritional requirements and making money off of our children.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:12 PM

At my kids lunch the basic lunch is still a bargain and free or reduced for many kids.

However schools have "a la carte" items that are priced higher on the side (ex. cookies and deserts) and kids want those items added on.

In your above example the cafeteria worker broke a rule. Maybe her punishment was too hard, I dont know. Maybe she had done this too many times. Maybe she was showing favoritism. Maybe their was claim of racial bias (it happens). I do know lunch programs still must show a balanced budget and if it doesnt, well vendors and workers still have to be paid and that money has to come from somewhere.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarataratara View Post
We have food service companies providing processed food with the bare minimum of nutritional requirements and making money off of our children.
I wondered about the food service companies.

My school cafeterias were always school employees that cooked the food fresh every day.

We griped about it sometimes. But it was pretty nutritious. Some of the meals were quite good.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:18 PM

According to THIS article, a local chef heard about this, agreed it was wrong, and reached out to her offering her a job at one of his restaurants.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I wondered about the food service companies.

My school cafeterias were always school employees that cooked the food fresh every day.

We griped about it sometimes. But it was pretty nutritious. Some of the meals were quite good.
This is part of the trend of schools contracting out things like payroll and IT services. Recently our local school district outsourced its substitute teacher program to Kelly temp services (and EVERYONE hates it). The woman in the above article was fired by the contractor.

Yes this lowers costs by reducing payroll but at what cost to quality?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Does anyone remember this one from 2013?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.4edf951bbd11

This lawmaker wanted to make the kids that got free school lunches sweep floors and wash dishes because learning that “there’s no such thing as a free lunch” is a more important lesson that actual schoolwork. Go Republicans!
Old 05-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
According to THIS article, a local chef heard about this, agreed it was wrong, and reached out to her offering her a job at one of his restaurants.
Thumbs up for this chef.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:56 PM

Outsourcing to the lowest bidder is the reason. I've seen it, one school district even doesn't have it's own kitchen and depends on bids for companies to bring food in for the kids, which realistically means that in addition to being flavorless it is also cold by the times the kids get it.

In another school district lunches (and breakfasts, and afterschool meals for those who attend that free program), are totally free for the students. For all students, rich and poor and inbetween, There is no way to pay if you wanted to, however, though there are choices, it's a standard sized meal, so if you want more then they serve you are SOL as you cant get more even if you can pay for it, or you can bring it from home.

Last edited by kanicbird; 05-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post

This lawmaker wanted to make the kids that got free school lunches sweep floors and wash dishes because learning that “there’s no such thing as a free lunch” is a more important lesson that actual schoolwork. Go Republicans!
Like Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers doing a work for stay.
Well that sometimes included a meal.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Thumbs up for this chef.
Andres? I'm not a bit surprised. Good for him!
Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Because parents should take care of their kids and people choose to be poor and I won't waste my tax money so kids can get one decent meal a day.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:05 PM

This going on in a lot of places.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...bt/1147268001/

https://newfoodeconomy.org/school-lunch-debt-usda/
Quote:
Every day, Kyrie did what school kids across the country do. He punched his student number into a keypad at the end of the lunch line, ate his food in the cafeteria with friends, and got on with the second half of his school day.

But over a year later, Jones discovered that Kyrie’s free lunch application had been processed incorrectly. After she’d submitted it, the program covered Kyrie’s meals for just one month. Reimbursements then dropped off for reasons the school has not made clear to Jones. Instead of getting free lunch every day, Kyrie had been racking up lunch debt—nearly $1,000 worth of it.

“I felt bad as a mother because I couldn’t take care of the bill.”

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 PM

In my local district, the school lunch is $2.25.

What is this kid eating that costs $8.00?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:08 PM

The $8 must of been for several days lunches.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The $8 must of been for several days lunches.
That's not what it sounded like for the article you cited.

It said he couldn't pay for the food on his tray, not previous meals.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 PM

I don't know how one school meal could cost that much. Apparently it did cost more. A lots changed since my school days.

We were served from a single buffet line. There were no optional foods with extra prices.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The entire reason for the school lunch was to ensure that disadvantaged kids get at least one nutritious meal a day. IIRC it's Federally subsidized?
It's also a way to feed kids that aren't economically disadvantaged a hot meal that parents don't have to screw with. It also provides cheap/free meals to those that are poor. The program does more than one thing.

Quote:
This is absolute bullshit imho The lunch program exists to feed these disadvantaged kids. So feed them!
What in that article makes you think the student in question is economically disadvantaged and qualifies for federal subsidy? I'm not seeing anything.

Last edited by DinoR; 05-17-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:30 PM

I was referring to these news stories in general.

They seem to pop up every few weeks.

The current term is "school lunch shaming".

https://mashable.com/article/how-to-...-stop-shaming/
Quote:
When a student repeatedly forgets their lunch money or cannot afford their meal, cafeteria workers may be instructed to take away the child's hot meal and replace it with a cold sandwich. This is one example of what's called "school lunch shaming." Some schools go as far as to ask children to wear a wristband or hand stamp so cafeteria workers can better identify them. This singles out the student and makes them vulnerable to bullying, which needless to say, can affect their self-esteem and studies. 
Quote:
Fortunately, school lunch shaming has garnered enough public criticism to attract the attention of political leaders. In 2017, New Mexico state senator Michael Padilla wrote legislation that banned school lunch shaming practices, inspiring a wave of similar bills in state and federal legislatures. 

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-17-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

When I worked for a child advocacy group, we claimed a pretty damn well off school district had a huge percentage of students who qualified for "free or reduced price lunch" (aka FREEP.) A reporter called the school district to verify our claim, and their replay was, "I'm surprised the number is that low."
Old 05-17-2019, 09:34 PM

We already have programs that pay for school lunches for kids that need it, so either

1) People whose kids that should be in the program aren't.

2) People that can very well afford to pay for lunch for their kids are being deadbeats or terrible money managers.

3) People who can afford a basic lunch have kids taking more "extras" than they can afford above a basic lunch.

Just letting kids rack up school lunch debt with no consequences isn't a good solution to any of these problems.

Last edited by Mdcastle; 05-17-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Where I live people seem to reflexively vote down any school budget increases, which forces schools to find savings anywhere they can. Can't say I'm surprised this sort of thing happens.

When I was a teacher I once found myself on a committee that was looking at improving the nutrition of school food and trying to get rid of the soda machines. The big problem was that the soda machines were a revenue source and we'd have to find something to replace it. Being new to the committee I naively asked, "Um, do we really need to be making a profit off of our students?"

They looked at me like I had two heads.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:20 PM

I do wonder how many parents who could pay don't because they know some anonymous benefactor will do it for them.

When I was growing up in the 1970s, the rule was no money or ticket: no food. Period. Bullies knew this, and in my case, bringing a sack lunch wasn't going to work either because they would find a way to access it, and steal or tamper with it. The lunch tickets were also different colors for children who had free or reduced-price lunches.

Several years ago, there were stories about kids being assigned lunch at really bizarre times, like 9:45. That didn't make sense to anyone.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Is that so bad?

When I was in 6th grade I wiped off tables everyday for a free lunch.

Also I noticed later in HS when I was teaching many kids got the free lunch, then went up to the vending machines and bought candy and sodas costing the same or more and I even saw kids sneak out and go to like Taco Bell.

At our local high schools teachers noticed many kids would only stay up until they got their free lunch then they would skip the rest of the day and leave. So the teachers drafted a plan that any kid doing this should no longer get free lunch.

So by HS at least I dont think any kid should be getting free lunch unless they earned it.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post

Several years ago, there were stories about kids being assigned lunch at really bizarre times, like 9:45. That didn't make sense to anyone.
or in my sons school the line can take 20 minutes leaving maybe 10 for eating and at other schools some kids lunch starts at 10, others 1:30.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 AM

Some of the free/reduced/normal cost lunches are done by a student code/card. This way there is no money exchanged by the kids, just swipe their student ID card and pin and it links to a account for this which their parents replenish (if needed - sometimes it's free for some). This way the students can't see the who is getting free/reduced cost meals, and students don't have to carry money. Seems like the best way to do it for the kids, also perhaps the parents can see what their children are getting. Now that doesn't stop one kid buying for another, but it does solve a lot of the issues.

Last edited by kanicbird; 05-18-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 AM

There are different things going on here. We had a town that had to rescind it's policy to provide only a minimal lunch to kids who had no money or a lunch debt. The problem was that most of them weren't impoverished kids, they were just spending more than the money their parents had provided. Most of that money was spent on junk food like french fries and dessert, often treating their friends. When their debt was high enough they weren't allowed anymore credit, and the parents weren't coughing up the repayment claiming the school shouldn't have allowed their spoiled brats to rack up a bill like that (IIRC $500 in one case). So when one disadvantaged kid gets caught up in this everyone claims lunch-shaming is going on when really it's mainly a bunch of deadbeat parents with out of control kids.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Is that so bad?

When I was in 6th grade I wiped off tables everyday for a free lunch.

Also I noticed later in HS when I was teaching many kids got the free lunch, then went up to the vending machines and bought candy and sodas costing the same or more and I even saw kids sneak out and go to like Taco Bell.

At our local high schools teachers noticed many kids would only stay up until they got their free lunch then they would skip the rest of the day and leave. So the teachers drafted a plan that any kid doing this should no longer get free lunch.

So by HS at least I dont think any kid should be getting free lunch unless they earned it.
Yeah, I think it IS pretty horrible.

The way I look at it is, with the possible exception of some older high school students, EVERY kid is getting a free lunch. Their lunch is either funded by their parents or by the school directly. And I think they deserve this lunch. Their “job” at that age is going to school and learning stuff, and being well-fed helps them do their job.

Somehow, no one is worrying that the kids with well-off parents aren’t learning that “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”. If teaching work ethic is so important, then start a program where EVERY student does labor towards the upkeep of their school. But singling out the young children of economically disadvantaged parents for cruel lessons in the harsh realities of life is just wrong.

Back in the 1970’s, we were given a form to take home that was an opt-in for the school lunch program. But every student had to return the form. This kept students from being embarrassed or shamed by returning the form and it also kept students from going hungry because they forgot to return the paper. The teachers would follow up until they had a form from everyone. People were just nicer then, I guess.

And frankly, if I saw a kid in my school eat a free school lunch, then raid the vending machines, then go to a fast food restaurant, my reaction would not be to think that they were ripping off the system for a free plate of institutional meatloaf, instant potatoes and canned green beans. I would think that they weren’t being fed at home. In my high school there was a girl on the program that ate a lot. She was always hungry and looked half-starved. I noticed, some of my friends noticed, and we chipped in our own money every week to buy her nutrition drinks.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:08 AM

Going the other direction ...

I have a relative who teaches at a grade school with so many kids qualifying for free lunches that the school decided to make them free to everybody to save on the administrative hassles and all that.

So it's not all bad out there, but it shouldn't be bad anywhere.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think it IS pretty horrible.

The way I look at it is, with the possible exception of some older high school students, EVERY kid is getting a free lunch. Their lunch is either funded by their parents or by the school directly. And I think they deserve this lunch. Their “job” at that age is going to school and learning stuff, and being well-fed helps them do their job.

Somehow, no one is worrying that the kids with well-off parents aren’t learning that “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”. If teaching work ethic is so important, then start a program where EVERY student does labor towards the upkeep of their school. But singling out the young children of economically disadvantaged parents for cruel lessons in the harsh realities of life is just wrong.

Back in the 1970’s, we were given a form to take home that was an opt-in for the school lunch program. But every student had to return the form. This kept students from being embarrassed or shamed by returning the form and it also kept students from going hungry because they forgot to return the paper. The teachers would follow up until they had a form from everyone. People were just nicer then, I guess.

And frankly, if I saw a kid in my school eat a free school lunch, then raid the vending machines, then go to a fast food restaurant, my reaction would not be to think that they were ripping off the system for a free plate of institutional meatloaf, instant potatoes and canned green beans. I would think that they weren’t being fed at home. In my high school there was a girl on the program that ate a lot. She was always hungry and looked half-starved. I noticed, some of my friends noticed, and we chipped in our own money every week to buy her nutrition drinks.
I went to school at the same time and remember signing up for the lunch program. We all benefited from discounted lunch costs. I'm pretty sure it was 50 cents a day for me. A bargain for a full hot, meal even in the seventies. To compare cost, Coke in a vending machine was 35 cents for several years.

Many kids got free lunches. Research has shown a connection between childhood learning and nutrition. Many schools also offer an early morning snack. Feeding hungry kids helps their performance and it's certainly the right thing to do.

I'm not thrilled to hear they're offering higher priced food options in the school cafeteria. I guess burgers, nachos and so on? But that's better than a kid eating junk from a vending machine.

I wasn't eating well during my last hospital stay. Some of the food was ok, but there were a couple days when the food just didn't interest me. The dietician came by and explained I could write burger on my menu card. Made in the hospital grill. That was a big relief on the days when the main meal wasn't appealing.

Last edited by aceplace57; 05-18-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I note that the employee noted above was fired by a contractor. Services incidental to essential government services should not be outsourced to contractors. Contractors are incentivized to squeeze their employees and the quality of services in favor of profits. Food services, janitorial services, etc ., for public schools should be provided by public employees.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings ë/ëm/ës, é/ém/és, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, Ë/Ëm/Ës, É/Ém/És, E/Em/Es.)
Old 05-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know how one school meal could cost that much. Apparently it did cost more. A lots changed since my school days.

We were served from a single buffet line. There were no optional foods with extra prices.
born in 1961, schools from 1966 to 79 [a variety of public school, private school and for a couple years boarding school]

Most of the time in NY state in the 70s it was standard serving line, everybody got an entree, 2 veg and a carton of milk with a small dessert. Optionals were for 5 cents an upgrade to chocolate milk, one of those ice cream novelties vanilla/chocolate/strawberry ice cream in the little single serve tub with wooden spoon was 10 cents, a bread and [real!] butter sandwich - 2 slices white bread with probably a tbsp of real butter was 5 cents and if you brought your own sack lunch you got the carton of white milk free but could upgrade to chocolate and buy ice cream as dessert for the regular price. I seem to remember the lunch was 50 cents. Private schools the food was standard serving line no money at the till but there was a choice between 2 entrees [vegetarian and nonvegetarian] 2 veg with an optional salad if you wanted one, and choice between dessert and a piece of fruit [apple orange or banana] Boarding school was eat what was in front of you and don't argue ... 3 meals a day.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I do wonder how many parents who could pay don't because they know some anonymous benefactor will do it for them.
You don't simply tell the principal that you're poor, you haave to prove it, the same way you prove you deserve food stamps. Sure some parents have figured out how to game the system, but the number isn't worth your
Old 05-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Somehow, no one is worrying that the kids with well-off parents aren’t learning that “there’s no such thing as a free lunch”. If teaching work ethic is so important, then start a program where EVERY student does labor towards the upkeep of their school.
The problem with this is 2 fold. First they are forced to go there, this is not the adult life decisions that lead to their chosen career, this is almost gun to your head if you want to eat you are going to work sort of stuff, so it is not fair to require them to pay as their decisions have not put them in this situation. and second they are children and should learn as a life lesson that children do not pay as adults do.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
You post often enough that your partisan views are no secret. Tell us, if you can, which political party supports nutrition for poor children and which party doesn't.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:28 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Is school lunch really around $2.50 now? It was $0.95 back in the early/mid 90s.

Also at $2.50 how is that subsidized? That is about the price of a cheap meal you make yourself.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Outsourcing to the lowest bidder is the reason. I've seen it, one school district even doesn't have it's own kitchen and depends on bids for companies to bring food in for the kids, which realistically means that in addition to being flavorless it is also cold by the times the kids get it.
Why would you believe it is cold? We get occasional catered dinners at work that aren't. Why would the food service not be held to the same standard? This is not a new concept. When I started high school, the grade school was a new structure about 3 blocks away. Lunch was prepared at the high school kitchen and carried to the elementary school. This was in the '70's. Early on, my kids' school had that same system. Catered from the district lunch room 20 miles away. Rarely did I hear of cold food comments. My wife did the parent involvement at school thing often enough that we'd had heard of it.

All my kids attended the district high school. All had a $10 debt limit beyond which they would only be eligible for the PB&J sandwiches. Checks to the office or some online method are the only ways to pay. I can restrict the amount they can spend, even for their out of pocket purchases that they pay their own money for. My first didn't have a limit at the start and he'd typically hit $6-7/day ten years ago. I limited him to around $4+ and slightly raised it for the following ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Is school lunch really around $2.50 now?
In that neighborhood. 75¢ ice cream sandwiches, 45¢ for extra milk.

Last edited by PoppaSan; 05-18-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:49 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Inflation is a bitch.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSan View Post
Why would you believe it is cold?
My kid said so. He attended a public school who outsourced their lunches. Lunches were never really 'hot' and sometimes would be room temperature Now He attends one with a in school cafeteria done by the school district, and food is 'better' as he reports, no temperature complaints, also free for every student.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Here's the OP's school lunch menu. Full priced lunches for HS students are $2.60. Reduced lunches are $.40. This kid had $8.00 in food on his tray. She said herself that she knew the kid's family. So what it appears to be is her slipping merch to friends' kid. That seems like theft to me.

This isn't "lunch shaming" or anything like that.

StG
Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
They do this in Japan. They have ALL the kids doing some job like sweeping floors and such.

And if kids are NOT doing the basics like learning and only causing trouble like roaming the halls, I have no problem taking away their free lunch.

You probably have no idea how bad inner city schools are.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Jr. High school, mid-1970's: Milk 6¢, meals 40¢, figured out on my own that having a penny, nickle, dime and quarter in my pocket would cover me whatever direction I went for lunch.

High school was more of a variable, but I was mostly brown bagging it after seeing the truck unloading cases of McDonalds frozen french fries with a big REJECTED sticker on them.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Going the other direction ...

I have a relative who teaches at a grade school with so many kids qualifying for free lunches that the school decided to make them free to everybody to save on the administrative hassles and all that.

So it's not all bad out there, but it shouldn't be bad anywhere.
That's happening in a lot of places. Many schools are also offering free breakfast to all children, also no questions asked.

In the early 00s, my dad was still working sometimes as a substitute teacher, and said that any school that had more than a certain percentage of students who qualified for free- and reduced-price lunch got fruit that all students could take for free, 1 fruit per child. It was mostly "Delicious" apples, oranges, and bananas, with peaches, plums, or pears in season. They were supposed to discard all untaken fruit each day, but most of the schools didn't, so the staff would bring bags and take fruit home with them. He'd never seen unripe, inedible fruit being served either, which other people have told me about, so that was a good thing.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
By "local chef" I assume you're meaning Jose Andres, who is nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Andr%C3%A9s
Old 05-18-2019, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

I saw on the news that the cafeteria worker was offered her old job back, but turned them down. I would too.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 AM

Do they still let kids bring their own lunch?

I did that in elementary school. But ate cafeteria lunches the rest of my time in school.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I
And if they aren't getting a free lunch, they've got no reason to come to school at all.

Well at least that helps solve the overcrowding problem in the school classrooms.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
That's happening in a lot of places. Many schools are also offering free breakfast to all children, also no questions asked.

In the early 00s, my dad was still working sometimes as a substitute teacher, and said that any school that had more than a certain percentage of students who qualified for free- and reduced-price lunch got fruit that all students could take for free, 1 fruit per child. It was mostly "Delicious" apples, oranges, and bananas, with peaches, plums, or pears in season. They were supposed to discard all untaken fruit each day, but most of the schools didn't, so the staff would bring bags and take fruit home with them. He'd never seen unripe, inedible fruit being served either, which other people have told me about, so that was a good thing.
This is to the school's advantage these days. A not-hungry child is going to learn better. Schools are graded on student performance. The school scores are critical to the school and they will do anything they can think of to give themselves an edge.

And kids don't eat for lots of reasons, money being a relatively minor one. So the school plan is to push meals for all kids regardless. Peer pressure is one way to get everyone to eat lunch.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroome View Post
This is to the school's advantage these days. A not-hungry child is going to learn better. Schools are graded on student performance. The school scores are critical to the school and they will do anything they can think of to give themselves an edge.

And kids don't eat for lots of reasons, money being a relatively minor one. So the school plan is to push meals for all kids regardless. Peer pressure is one way to get everyone to eat lunch.
I think if you actually looked at most of the inner city kids you could tell they dont miss many meals.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
And if they aren't getting a free lunch, they've got no reason to come to school at all.

Well at least that helps solve the overcrowding problem in the school classrooms.
The ones only coming for a free lunch are the idiot ones who schools are better off with not having anyways.

Thing is there ARE some good kids out there, even in the inner cities, who WANT a good education. Problem is that minority who cause most of the problems so the teachers cant teach and the kids cant learn.