Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Eclipse Tonight January 20

Quote:
If you live in the continental United States, tonight (Jan. 20) is a great night to take a gander at the sky. As the clock ticks toward midnight on the East Coast, the moon will become increasingly cloaked in red shadows in the longest lunar eclipse visible from North America for years.

This eclipse has been dubbed the Super Blood Wolf Moon eclipse. The Wolf Moon is the traditional name for January's full moon. "Blood" is for the vermilion hue that shades the moon during a lunar eclipse. And the "super" is there because this January's full moon also happens to be a "supermoon," meaning the moon is passing at the closest point of its orbit to Earth.
https://www.livescience.com/64552-wa...e-tonight.html

Here's How to Watch the Super Blood Moon Lunar Eclipse This Weekend
https://www.livescience.com/64539-wa...r-eclipse.html

Naturally lots of us would be out there for several hours watching this eclipse tonight (even though it will be 1 degree below zero where I live))--unfortunately poor viewing conditions much of the U.S.
https://www.space.com/43071-super-bl...-forecast.html

Hopefully there will lots of Dopers reporting about the viewing experience tomorrow.

Last edited by PastTense; 01-20-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 PM

I set an alarm yesterday so I wouldn't forget! Working till 11 p.m. so I'll wander outside as soon as I'm off.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Yesterday's crappy weather has cleared up nicely, so I should be able to see it right out my window. Thanks for the reminder!

From what I've read, however, this won't really look significantly different from any other lunar eclipse.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
Yesterday's crappy weather has cleared up nicely, so I should be able to see it right out my window. Thanks for the reminder!

From what I've read, however, this won't really look significantly different from any other lunar eclipse.
But, dude, it's Super! And bloody... and arooooooooo... wolfy!

I'm painting a Super Bloody Wolf howling at the moon on my 70s van right now!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I'm painting a Super Bloody Wolf howling at the moon on my 70s van right now!
Mandatory t-shirt to be wearing tonight.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Big storm raining/snowing stalled right over me. Oh well. These things never live up to the hype.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:17 PM

I hope the clouds clear up. It's look real pretty over the snow/ice glazed landscape.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 PM

I'm not going to try taking photos - It's going to be too high in the sky to be very photogenic.
Oh, well....
Old 01-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I need to point out that adding "wolf" is kinda meaningless, it's not astronomical, it's just means a Full moon in January, which we have every year. Sometimes twice even.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
I'm not going to try taking photos - It's going to be too high in the sky to be very photogenic.
Oh, well....
With winds in the 20's & gusts to 39mph, I don't even think my Manfrotto tripod will be able to keep the big lens steady enough to get good pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I need to point out that adding "wolf" is kinda meaningless, it's not astronomical, it's just means a Full moon in January, which we have every year. Sometimes twice even.
Two full moons in a month? That's gotta be rare; I bet that happens only once in a blue moon.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:24 PM

Aw, that would have been a Super Blue Blood Wolf Moon eclipse.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Aw, that would have been a Super Blue Blood Wolf Moon eclipse.
Just like last year except for the eclipse part.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:50 PM

Well it's beautifully clear here in the Pacific Northwest and right now at 5:48 the moon is super full, incredibly bright and big. I've looked at the moon many times through my binoculars and I'm able to see lots of extra details that way. It's so bright right now that all I can see is a very bright circle.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 PM

Mostly Cloudy here, but I can see the Moon through the clouds....awesome sight
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Very bright here, too and way up high in the sky.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 PM

Couple minutes after 10 p.m. local - there's an odd disk covering the lower half of the moon.

Surely the gods are angry! I tremble, and shall sacrifice a goat.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 PM

What a great show! This is the best Lunar eclipse I've ever been able to watch irl. Perfectly clear sky, huge moon that I can see while sitting here on my porch.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Fantastic here in the midwest. Crisp cold clear calm night. No clouds, no humidity, 20 miles from town. Yard lights turned off. No work in the morning. No excuses for anyone in my house to not see the best eclipse they will ever have an opportunity to witness.
Live stream
Old 01-20-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Who has been doing all this marketing for the moon lately? Super rare, super blood wolf moon eclipse? Didn't we just have a super rare super blue blood moon just not too long ago? Weren't these all just simply "lunar eclipses" when we were growing up, some with the moon marginally closer to the earth than others?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 PM

That's the coolest astronomical thing I've ever seen. It's so colourful! There's white, blue, grey, red. What great luck for there to be no cloud cover here tonight!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 PM

Here in rural west Michigan (between Lake Michigan and Grand Rapids, very little light pollution), it's right now pretty stunning. At about 10:30, I took my dog out and the moon was lighting up the snow in the backyard like our flood light was on; no sign of an eclipse. Took one of the kids out at 11:20, and the moon was half covered. Just looked out a minute ago and the backyard is as black as, well, night. The moon itself is 90% shaded red and the top tenth is a little gray. We can normally see a lot of stars where we're at on a dark night, but the stars are amazingly vivid tonight.

This is the most vivid and amazing lunar eclipse that I've seen, maybe ever. Wish it wasn't so dagburned cold. I can't be out there for more than a few minutes at a time.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 01-20-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

If I may be permitted to wax poetic:

Gazing at the blood moon is like watching the whole world's dawns and sunsets, all at once.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 PM

It's the dagburned cold that is knocking all the humidity down. Around here there are 1/4 million people about 25 miles away and I get no light reflection from the sky in that direction. Usually a white glow is all I see that way.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
The moon itself is 90% shaded red and the top tenth is a little gray.
That's about what it's like here (PNW), only I wouldn't say as much grey. I'll go out and look again in a bit.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Of course, cloud cover rolled in on my part of Chicago, so I could barely see the thing at all. Oh well. Evening started out completely clear, and then started clouding up right before the eclipse. Clouds were thin and low to start, so you could make it out (although it didn't look red at all to me) in patches, and now a full stratus cloud cover is over me.

That said, I did see plenty of lunar eclipses growing up, but all from light-polluted Chicago. It would be nice to see it somewhere with little light pollution to get the full effect. I've always been a bit let down by lunar eclipses. (Total solar ones, though, two of the coolest natural phenomena experiences of my life.)
Old 01-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
What great luck for there to be no cloud cover here tonight!
I know, right? It's always cloudy or raining here whenever there's something neat in the sky. (The recent solar eclipse was clear, but it was Summer.) I never get to see the meteor showers. We're quite fortunate that the clouds cleared out of the Pacific NorthWet temporarily.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:24 PM

It's amazing how the shadow adds dimension to the moon. It really looks like a sphere up there. I can see how this would totally freak out primitive folks.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Pretty.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I know, right? It's always cloudy or raining here whenever there's something neat in the sky. (The recent solar eclipse was clear, but it was Summer.) I never get to see the meteor showers. We're quite fortunate that the clouds cleared out of the Pacific NorthWet temporarily.
Especially with all of the huge storms we've been having. If this was last night or the night before we'd have been sol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
It's amazing how the shadow adds dimension to the moon. It really looks like a sphere up there. I can see how this would totally freak out primitive folks.
I know! It looks so round up there. Like a ball just hanging in the sky. Love it.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:52 AM

I walked outside coincidentally right around the peak of totality and, well, I didn't get an enormous amount of enjoyment out of looking at a dark thing in a dark sky. It was tough to appreciate whatever colors were supposed to be there. I tried again about 45 minutes later when at least part of the moon was shining though, and that was kind of neat. I gave things one more try after the eclipse was over, and I thought the supermoon was legitimately cool.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:52 AM

We got super wolf blood clouds
Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I went to bead early and set the alarm. I watch from about 11:20 to 11:55 Central. I t was very clear (and cold) here. The moon was high enough that I couldn't see it from windows.
It was pretty neat -- think I liked it best a bit past totality when a sliver of bright white contrasted with the dark red.

Brian
Old 01-21-2019, 08:45 AM

First I got up just after it started and checked. Just a small notch taken out.

Later I looked at the clock and saw it was a few minutes to totality. By then the Moon was too high to see out the windows. So I went downstairs to the family room and could see it thru the skylights. I grabbed a blanket and some pillows and laid down on the floor and watched.

After totality it was mostly a murky orange* color. But the "top" (north) edge was surprisingly whitish. (About 40 degrees clockwise from the last bit of real white before totality.) So not a "cool" uniform orange.

After about 10 minutes of totality I went back to bad.

Let me tell you, this astronomy stuff is tough. Maybe not as tough as Guillaume Le Gentil had it trying to see a transit of Venus, but the floor wasn't all that soft, let me tell you.

* I don't get it. Why a "blood" Moon when it is clearly orange. Since when are there blood oranges? Oh, never mind.

Last edited by ftg; 01-21-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 AM

My best attempt at an image. It shows the colors a little but doesn't really do the real thing justice at all. My camera has 60x zoom but didn't seem to be able to deal with the one bright spot and rest being dark.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
My best attempt at an image. It shows the colors a little but doesn't really do the real thing justice at all. My camera has 60x zoom but didn't seem to be able to deal with the one bright spot and rest being dark.
My camera's auto functions were freaking out too - even on the Low Key setting, which usually works pretty well for stuff like this. It took some patience and fiddling around to get it to do what I wanted. This is the best one.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
My camera's auto functions were freaking out too - even on the Low Key setting, which usually works pretty well for stuff like this. It took some patience and fiddling around to get it to do what I wanted. This is the best one.
That's pretty good. I think the cameras had to choose between the bright spot having the right exposure or the darker part having the right exposure, hard to get both with point-and-shoot.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Shockingly, we had clear skies here in the Seattle area. Great views all through totality. Also it was a super-low tide, so went on a low tide night beach walk here on Vashon Island. Moon snails, sea pens, sea anemones, all cool.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 PM
One of Cecil's six friends
Charter Member

Phil Plait says the recording of the eclipse by Griffith Observatory captured a meteor impact on the Moon.

https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/st...493976581?s=19
Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

So how orange or red did the moon actually look to you? I only saw the very slightest orange tint here, yet the photos I am seeing online are very orange. This makes me wonder how much of that was real and how much was Photoshop.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:36 PM

This is not from lastnight's eclipse but it's a pretty accurate portrayal of the hue:

https://www.adorama.com/alc/super-bl...-lunar-eclipse
Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 PM

Here, this is a better link. It clearly shows the colours I saw last night:

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-total-...-woos-sky.html
Old 01-21-2019, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here, this is a better link. It clearly shows the colours I saw last night:

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-total-...-woos-sky.html
Thanks! What I saw wasn't that intense but it might have been due to our location.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks! What I saw wasn't that intense but it might have been due to our location.
Probably. It was bitterly cold last night where I am, so I only went out twice at around the time of the peak eclipse, but it looked much like the picture at the 4:00 o'clock position -- most of the moon a dark reddish-orange.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 AM

Yeah, forgot to mention that I also saw the 2017 solar eclipse. So a total solar and a total lunar in less than a year and half. Probably will never beat that.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 AM

That was fuckin' heavy metal, man.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
So how orange or red did the moon actually look to you? I only saw the very slightest orange tint here, yet the photos I am seeing online are very orange. This makes me wonder how much of that was real and how much was Photoshop.
The photo I posted previously wasn't edited at all, straight out of the camera. But in real life it was even redder than that! You could see a lot of sunset shades from oranges to blues and grays in the moon, it was quite spectacular.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Of course, cloud cover rolled in on my part of Chicago, so I could barely see the thing at all. ...
Too bad for you. Was crystal clear in W burbs (Elmhurst). I stayed up past my bedtime , and stepped outside every 15 min or so. Totality was about as neat as I've seen. Damned cold, tho!

Wife had her scope set up and binos out. I saw totality through both, and called it a night. She stayed up throughout - said clouds started building near end.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Too bad for you. Was crystal clear in W burbs (Elmhurst). I stayed up past my bedtime , and stepped outside every 15 min or so. Totality was about as neat as I've seen. Damned cold, tho!

Wife had her scope set up and binos out. I saw totality through both, and called it a night. She stayed up throughout - said clouds started building near end.
I'm by Midway and enough lake effect moisture I guess clouded it up for us. I could see little patches here and there for the first 10 minutes of totality, and then it was a complete blanket of clouds. Never was a complete cloudless patch in those first 10 minutes, though. Just maybe a thinner layer of clouds that you could actually see through.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
The photo I posted previously wasn't edited at all, straight out of the camera. But in real life it was even redder than that! You could see a lot of sunset shades from oranges to blues and grays in the moon, it was quite spectacular.
Yeah, the colours blew my freakin' mind! It was like looking at another planet. And it was so obviously spherical, rather than looking like a flat, circle in the sky. It was really amazing.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
... And it was so obviously spherical, rather than looking like a flat, circle in the sky. It was really amazing.
That was what my wife said repeatedly.