Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

You might also want to read the Wikipedia page on Biographies of living persons. I get the impression that Wikipedia is very sensitive to anything that might cause it to be sued.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Wikipedia specifically bans references from forums and blogs. Now if a journalist writes about this situation, that reference could be included.
It just occurred to me that Ed Zotti is an author, editor and journalist. His locked thread can be linked to as authoritative and it can be quoted or characterized directly.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I don't think I've ever been so ashamed to be a Doper.

So you guys get it into your head that MM threatened litigation, so screw him he's unworthy of any sympathy and let's just basically nail him to the wall.

Because reasons.

How fucking petty.
I think the sympathy goes to the guy who left an awards ceremony to be with his dying mom, not the guy who said that he was using his dying mom to drum up sympathy for an award that's usually used to give people a good time to go take a bathroom break.

Note that the internet Wayback Machine has Equipoise's thread archived (and might have the other) and Wikipedia has the basic info there as well.

I'd also note that if MM hadn't threatened Equipoise, this wouldn't have come up again or been an issue, so it's sad to see that bullying people on the internet works.

Also, on behalf of Dan Quayle, I'd like all posts about the "potatoe" thing removed from the SDMB, since there's no doubt that Quayle has learned the correct spelling and "in any case [we] have no desire to prolong his embarrassment indefinitely"
Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Ed rehashed it, himself. That part is my favorite part.
Fair enough. I retract my statement.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Exapno Mapcase said what I was going to say, only more politely.

I feel this sets a bad precedent. Some one can bully a poster, threaten to sue the SDMB, and so get their way.

To Those Who Say The Thread Was Rightly Vanished

Redacted said what he said on video. At that point, he accepted the consequences of his speech and risked the possibility it would follow him forever. He made his bed, and he shouldn't whine when he has to lie in it. People saying negative things based on his speech is one of the myriad consequences he accepted. We weren't being cruel or vindictive when the thread was the top Google result. Redacted did that to himself.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM

The one thing I would like to know, just for the sake of clarity is this: Are we allowed to mention the name of redacted at all from now on, even if it is not about what happened 7 years ago? He is currently a working celebrity, and also has done things recently which are certainly discussion worthy.

If the answer to the question is no, then we should just stop kidding ourselves that the meat of the matter is a 7 year old thread.

Last edited by Mr. Nylock; 06-24-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
The one thing I would like to know, just for the sake of clarity is this: Are we allowed to mention the name of redacted at all from now on, even if it is not about what happened 7 years ago? He is currently a working celebrity, and also has done things recently which are certainly discussion worthy.

If the answer to the question is no, then we should just stop kidding ourselves that the meat of the matter is a 7 year old thread.
Only if your post is entirely positive and points out what an awesome person he is. If you post anything which might be construed as a negative opinion you might receive a message from him threatening legal action against you.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Also, on behalf of Dan Quayle, I'd like all posts about the "potatoe" thing removed from the SDMB, since there's no doubt that Quayle has learned the correct spelling and "in any case [we] have no desire to prolong his embarrassment indefinitely"
Fair enough. I said some funny but hurtful things about Dan's intellect. I retract all those statements. [redacted] remains a dick however.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
There are threads like this one, where the OP wondered out loud if obstetric workers should be held responsible for bad parental choices in names: and used a murdered young girl as an example.
As I recall, people disagreed with me. And Google knows you and your interests and habits. It would not have been on the front page for someone who has never looked for or visited the Straight Dope. That's what makes people think they spent their money well when they gave it to a guy whose search engine optimization business is advertised on a grocery store bulletin board. The SDMB is not at the center of the Googleverse.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
Redacted said what he said on video. At that point, he accepted the consequences of his speech and risked the possibility it would follow him forever. He made his bed, and he shouldn't whine when he has to lie in it. People saying negative things based on his speech is one of the myriad consequences he accepted. We weren't being cruel or vindictive when the thread was the top Google result. Redacted did that to himself.

I'm going to politely disagree with this.

We've all heard how our current laws haven't caught up with modern technology.

Well, IMO, another thing that hasn't caught up with modern technology is our culture. Specifically, the way in which we judge people. Our thinking needs to evolve. If the way in which you judge a person is the same way you were judging a person pre internet days; then that's just wrong.

If this incident would have happened in the 80's, it would have been forgotten about. Sure it would have still been caught on tape, but seven years after the fact, the whole incident would have been little more than a faded memory.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 PM

Or maybe Redacted should perhaps remember the old addage: "Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk."

And it also doesn't sound like he's changed, if he's blaming people for criticising his behavior, rather than than the behavior that prompted the criticism. That's also something he should consider.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 06-24-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
The SDMB is not at the center of the Googleverse.
It is strange how high this particular article showed up in the Google search results for his name.

One can only assume that either some people working on the Google search algorithm are fans of the Straight Dope or that a LOT of people dislike [Redacted] and linked to the article. The other articles are to his workplace, trade magazine articles, etc. and should have ranked much higher.

I've tested the search using different browsers and platforms, in maximum privacy mode, and the results from a Google search were quite consistent. The person in question may really have a long history of obnoxious behavior. Equipoise vented in 2007, came back in 2012 when someone woke the zombie and posted a few responses, then nothing until 2014 when [Redacted] and [Mrs. Redacted] started bigfooting around. It is not as if Equipoise did anything to make the Pitting particularly popular.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
If this incident would have happened in the 80's, it would have been forgotten about. Sure it would have still been caught on tape, but seven years after the fact, the whole incident would have been little more than a faded memory.
If Micheal Minter is still threatening posters with legal action within the past year, Minter is the one keeping it alive. He's still an asshole.

And since Equipoise probably won't be saying it on SDMB, I'll mentioni that by using some of the search engine links posted earlier in this threat, I learned she's very unhappy about the administration's actions.

And that's all I say about that.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
...If there weren't threats of litigation at some point, we wouldn't even be having this discussion and the original thread would never have been locked, let alone deleted...

That's ok though. I think that Ed is actually much more clever than most are giving him credit for. It's my suspicion that Ed was under pressure to do what he did by his management. His explanatory post gives anyone all of the information that they need to Google the name of the person in question and find out the whole story including an archive of the missing thread.

The direct result of all of this is that the sound mixer's story, including in some cases the legal bullying, is now enshrined in at least a couple of reddit threads and on a few other message boards and blog posts. In addition, his Wikipedia page now mentions the incident when it didn't before all of this. Had he let the seven year old thread pass, it's safe to say that many more people would never have heard of it.
*tiptoes in*

Since I'm forbidden to speak my mind and give opinions on all that's been said and done, let me just +1 all three paragraphs here.

*tiptoes out*
Old 06-25-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal Houtham View Post
If Micheal Minter is still threatening posters with legal action within the past year, Minter is the one keeping it alive. He's still an asshole.
Minkler. Guy's name is Michael Minkler, not Minter.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Kinda like Budd Dwyer in 1987?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

STRONG MODERATOR WARNING:

Ed had said, "Users are asked to refrain from posting additional comments about this matter.'"

We don't object to a metadiscussion of the wisdom of removing old threads, but we don't want to see a rehashing of the original incident. PLEASE DO NOT POST DETAILS OR NAMES.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 AM

Yeaah... Because we want to give people a fresh start, and we're not afraid of any lawsuits. That's it.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 AM

Thank you for saying "please."
Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM
BANNED

I think it's surprisingly nice and understanding to even allow a meta-discussion, and I'm really disappointed that others are trying to spoil it by posting names, facts, statements of reality, history, and statements that would fight ignorance.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM

So if you threaten a lawsuit against an SD poster and then ask nicely you can get a thread taken down? Any word from Ed if this is available to everybody?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM
BANNED

Stop discussing facts "posting additional comments on this matter"!

And Ed said this was a one time deal. So that's a no go for having your "Go to hell and Die, Rosa Parks!" thread hushed up.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
So if you threaten a lawsuit against an SD poster and then ask nicely you can get a thread taken down? Any word from Ed if this is available to everybody?
Only to those who want to put everything behind them and move on. Then wait a few years, contact Ed and threaten lawsuits, and follow up by asking nicely.

Be sure not to mention any names, or rehash the incident.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Kinda like Budd Dwyer in 1987?
Good one. I was sure somebody was going to come back with the Hillary Clinton tapes of '74 when I posted that.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:00 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
As has been seen before, if you are a poster and threaten legal action it's an instaban. As it should be.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Have you read the Oh that Kayaker, he is such a dumbfuck thread?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
As has been seen before, if you are a poster and threaten legal action it's an instaban. As it should be.
And if you are a poster and ask nicely, they will delete a thread wherein you were disparaged. Except they usually don't.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM

I'm curious: up 'till right now, there's been an immovable bright-line. "You're a member? Threaten to sue the board? Instaban" rule.

Redacted is a member here http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=159652
He threatened to sue the board.
He was not banned.

DPWhite? Threatened to sue the board because Scylla changed stuff in a quote box (before there was a "Quote Boxes are sancrosanct" rule--I'm pretty sure this is what caused the rule) and DPWhite was instabanned.

Melin (earliest example I can think of) claimed her rep was being smeared by the SDMB because of stuff posted on the usenet(IIRC) and was instabanned (I came in right as she was banned, but that's what I remember--regardless of what she was suing for/about, the threat of a lawsuit=instaban).

KGS was being "defamed" and threatened to sue...he was instabanned

Why is Redacted not banned? What gives him the (literally) unique exemption to the hard and fast, unambiguous rule that "it's been clear for years--even before I became a mod--that threats of lawsuits against the SDMB will earn you a one-way ticket off the island." (from Moderator SkipMagic)?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM

Some weeks ago, I had posted reference in a similarly-themed thread here in ATMB to this affair expressing concern about alluding to people in the public sphere and whether we (I) could look forward to future threat of legal action if we (I) did so. I take it that it's still okay to do so? I mean, if they get their feelings hurt by it in a few years, we'll (I'll) cross that bridge when those chickens hatch, right?

On an entirely unrelated note, Loach said that if you're a poster and threaten legal action, it's an instaban (I take this to be short for "instant ban"). Is this accurate? If so, I may have transgressed a teeny, tiny bit in my one and only complaint to moderators.

On preview, I see Fenris is concerned as well.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
I'm curious: up 'till right now, there's been an immovable bright-line. "You're a member? Threaten to sue the board? Instaban" rule.

Redacted is a member here http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/member.php?u=159652
He threatened to sue the board.
He was not banned.

DPWhite? Threatened to sue the board because Scylla changed stuff in a quote box (before there was a "Quote Boxes are sancrosanct" rule--I'm pretty sure this is what caused the rule) and DPWhite was instabanned.

Melin (earliest example I can think of) claimed her rep was being smeared by the SDMB because of stuff posted on the usenet(IIRC) and was instabanned (I came in right as she was banned, but that's what I remember--regardless of what she was suing for/about, the threat of a lawsuit=instaban).

KGS was being "defamed" and threatened to sue...he was instabanned

Why is Redacted not banned? What gives him the (literally) unique exemption to the hard and fast, unambiguous rule that "it's been clear for years--even before I became a mod--that threats of lawsuits against the SDMB will earn you a one-way ticket off the island." (from Moderator SkipMagic)?
If that is in fact him it would be a symbolic ban at best. 0 posts. Its not like being banned keeps you from seeing the board.

But yes those other examples confirm my faulty memory. Although I can't find it in writing anywhere as a rule its a good one. The threat tends to be part of an extortion (do what I say or else!). No need to keep those people around.

Just so we are clear on the rules:
Quote:
We reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever.
Its right there in the agreement. Ed could have done it quietly without fanfare but I appreciate that he made it public so opinions could be expressed.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM

Nobody's arguing that they didn't have the right to delete the thread. They could change my username to Loves2Splooge if they wanted.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
If that is in fact him it would be a symbolic ban at best. 0 posts. Its not like being banned keeps you from seeing the board.
I'd be ok with a symbolic ban. It would at least be consistent.

Quote:
But yes those other examples confirm my faulty memory. Although I can't find it in writing anywhere as a rule its a good one. The threat tends to be part of an extortion (do what I say or else!). No need to keep those people around.
Look at the last link in my last post--Skipmagic clearly states it as a rule.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm guessing that all his posts were in that one now disappeared thread. Therefore the post count went down to zero.

As a registered Guest he retains to privilege to post again, maybe here in this discussion thread. I agree that for consistency a ban should be imposed. Although for all we know allowing him the right to return and post to defend his reputation was part of the agreement that the lawyers who should have been consulted and weren't would not have allowed through.

And there's the problem with one-of-a-kind special order exceptions. Say that they don't apply to "A" and pretty soon you're trying to deal with why they don't apply to "B" and "C" and "X".
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I'm guessing that all his posts were in that one now disappeared thread. Therefore the post count went down to zero.
The handle was only created in order to threaten Equipoise, I believe.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
The handle was only created in order to threaten Equipoise, I believe.
Yeah, i don't think he ever actually made a post.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Yeah, i don't think he ever actually made a post.
Nor did he accept my friend request.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Does anyone?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
Does anyone?
There's a tear in my beer. Actually,more of a barley-wine.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
BANNED

The decision to forgive and forget should have been Equipoise's alone. Ed should have consulted her. He should have demanded that Michael apologize to her for his threats and bribes and such if he wanted a chance of having the thread removed from the internet.

I like Crazyhorse's memorial/tribute to the voices that were silenced without consultation.

Of course, I am aware of the "things can be deleted for any reason or no reason," and I do think it's nice Ed even gave us a reason at all. The fact that he rehashed the entire thing was pretty epic and hilarious, to boot.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
He just needs some time to get to know you better.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
He just needs some time to get to know you better.

Or for you to promise to bury all his negative google results. Real friends get to pet the Oscar that way.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
Or for you to promise to bury all his negative google results. Real friends get to pet the Oscar that way.
Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 PM

I hope *this thread* doesn't become the top google hit for Mike Minkler now, what with all the stuff about what a shithead he is.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

That's a horrible thing to say about an asshole.

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 06-25-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Deleted quote of prior post -- Dex
Old 06-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

The deletion didn't even work.

If I Google [Redacted] the thread still comes out near the top of the list. And to view the thread, I just have to look at the cached version. It shows the first page, at least.

So deleting it was pointless. It hasn't hidden the comments. It won't satisfy [redacted]. It won't prevent any actions that [redacted] might make in future.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Sighs Wearily

Quote:
Have you read the Oh that Kayaker, he is such a dumbfuck thread?
Damn it. You almost got me with this one.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
The decision to forgive and forget should have been Equipoise's alone. Ed should have consulted her. He should have demanded that Michael apologize to her for his threats and bribes and such if he wanted a chance of having the thread removed from the internet.
...and, as I said earlier, the offer of a shiny gold statue as well. Seriously, what does he need three of them for? Two serve perfectly well as bookends.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

MODERATOR POUNDS GAVEL FOR ATTENTION:

OK, I said very clearly back in Post #117:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
STRONG MODERATOR WARNING:

Ed had said, "Users are asked to refrain from posting additional comments about this matter.'"

We don't object to a metadiscussion of the wisdom of removing old threads, but we don't want to see a rehashing of the original incident. PLEASE DO NOT POST DETAILS OR NAMES.
I have issued an Official Warning to bup for failing to follow moderator instructions (Post #143 above.) And running coach: you didn't help by quoting bup. I have deleted that quote; I'm not issuing an Official Warning for you, but I am offering some friendly advice: Don't.

AS A POSTER: I understand that my instruction was a long time ago, several hours and 30 posts earlier. Still, I assume people read the prior posts before posting themselves? If we need to repeat this instruction every five or six posts, we can do that, but it gets a bit tedious. The other choice is to close this thread. Or y'all could simply focus this discussion on the question of SDMB policies, and NOT on the original incident.

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 06-25-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 PM

So to be clear about the SDMB policy, as long as we have a lawyer write a very nice letter that in no way threatens legal action against the message board, we can have threads removed that impugn our character and also have the mods hand out warnings to anybody that wants to rehash the matter?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:04 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
MODERATOR POUNDS GAVEL FOR ATTENTION:
It was worth a try. This thread is done.
Closed Thread