Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 PM
madsircool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,652

Trump Claims to be Taking Hydroxychloroquine


https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9521151.html

Quote:
Donald Trump revealed Monday he is taking hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug he has pushed for weeks as a treatment for coronavirus -- even though he has tested negative and federal health agencies have warned of serious negative side effects

"I take it," he told reporters. "All I can tell you is, so far, I feel okay."

The president said he has taken only an initial dose. "It seems to have an impact," he said. "Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. ... You're not going to get sick and die."

Mr Trump said he has taken the drug for "about a week and a half now," adding: "I take a pill everyday" and has had "zero symptoms."
How could he have gotten a prescription? Isnt it unethical for an MD to write a prescription for a drug a patient doesnt need?

Trump said he has only 'taken an initial dose' but then that he has been taking it for 'about a week and a half'.

Could Trump be lying (not for any political reason but because he has a narcissistic need to be at the center of everything)?

If he is telling the truth is he putting his life at risk?

Last edited by madsircool; 05-18-2020 at 05:05 PM.
  #2  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:08 PM
Colibri's Avatar
Colibri is online now
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 45,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Could Trump be lying (not for any political reason but because he has a narcissistic need to be at the center of everything)?

If he is telling the truth is he putting his life at risk?
Since I can't see this not devolving into further criticism of Trump, let's move this to IMHO.

Colibri
QZ Moderator
  #3  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:29 PM
TroutMan's Avatar
TroutMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Trump said he has only 'taken an initial dose' but then that he has been taking it for 'about a week and a half'.
I can't find the complete transcript, but from other articles I think he said he took an initial dose of azithromycin, and is taking daily doses of hydroxychloroquine. The timing seems to coincide with his valet testing positive.
  #4  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:32 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
...Could Trump be lying (not for any political reason but because he has a narcissistic need to be at the center of everything)?
My guess is that he's lying, not for a political reason, but for a financial one. He or someone in his family owns a chunk of the company (I'm betting) and when his followers all flock to beg their doctors for it and/or the stock goes up, he'll make a bundle. He wants to make as much $$ as he can while he's still in office.

Quote:
If he is telling the truth is he putting his life at risk?
No comment.
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 05-18-2020 at 05:33 PM.
  #5  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:24 PM
Machine Elf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 12,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
My guess is that he's lying, not for a political reason, but for a financial one. He or someone in his family owns a chunk of the company (I'm betting) and when his followers all flock to beg their doctors for it and/or the stock goes up, he'll make a bundle. He wants to make as much $$ as he can while he's still in office.
Do the Russians own a company that makes Hydroxychloroquine?
  #6  
Old 05-18-2020, 10:13 PM
Duckster's Avatar
Duckster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
My guess is that he's lying, not for a political reason, but for a financial one. He or someone in his family owns a chunk of the company (I'm betting) and when his followers all flock to beg their doctors for it and/or the stock goes up, he'll make a bundle. He wants to make as much $$ as he can while he's still in office.

No comment.

Ah, nope: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...xychloroquine/
  #7  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
How could he have gotten a prescription? Isnt it unethical for an MD to write a prescription for a drug a patient doesnt need?
Considering his doctor (current? previous?) gave him, not just a clean bill of health, but the cleanest bill of health of all the presidents ever, I can't imagine it's much of a stretch for him to get a doctor to write him a script for whatever he wants.
And, let's keep in mind, it's also entirely possible he's not taking it but is just lying about taking it.

Having said that, I assume he's taking it so if never catches covid19, he can claim that's why he never got it. What's his plan if he does test positive (especially if he gets stick enough)? Did he not think that far out or does he have some excuse ready to go about why it didn't work for him?
  #8  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Skypist's Avatar
Skypist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 672
He may very well just be lying. But whether he’s lying or not, I think he wants to “get in the last word” on HCQ. He told everyone it was a game changer, and now he has to be right by taking it and presumably not catching the virus and not exhibiting any side effects of the medication. Then he’s proven right! Blech.

Never mind that either he’s probably not even taking it or taking a low dose that would produce fewer side effects. Plus he’s got access to way better health care than most of the country so if he did have a problem he’d have all kinds of personalized resuscitative care with a whole ICU team just for him.
  #9  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Mind's Eye, Watering is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,605
Traitor Trump (R - Impeached) should be getting Lysol injections and UV enemas. Just in case.
  #10  
Old 05-18-2020, 10:16 PM
nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
Traitor Trump (R - Impeached) should be getting Lysol injections and UV enemas. Just in case.
He definitely blows smoke up our butts on a daily basis.

Heck, that man could say water was wet and I wouldn't believe him.
  #11  
Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 AM
Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypist View Post
He may very well just be lying. But whether he’s lying or not, I think he wants to “get in the last word” on HCQ. He told everyone it was a game changer, and now he has to be right by taking it and presumably not catching the virus and not exhibiting any side effects of the medication. Then he’s proven right! Blech.
Yes, telling everybody that he's been drinking bleach is probably the next step.

Oh. You said "blech", not "bleach". [EMILY_LATELLA] Never mind.... [/EMILY_LATELLA]
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #12  
Old 05-19-2020, 06:24 AM
Chief Pedant is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,028
I'm not going to waste time over here in IMHO, but here are a few points to consider:

1. It's stupid to unilaterally decree Trump is lying. He obviously truly believes in hydroxychloroquine.

2. It is not somehow "illegal" for a physician to prescribe a medication off-label, unless you are talking about a situation like New York, where Cuomo issued an executive order (23 March) banning pharmacists from dispensing HCQ to patients not enrolled in a study.

3. There is plenty of pro-HCQ evidence for early use, and for prophylaxis. This is true in vitro, and in practical clinical experience.

4. SERMO intermittently summarizes what real-world clinicians around the world think of various therapeutic approaches to SARS CoV 2 infections. Something like a third of their physician interviewees prescribe HCQ for early use.

5. In the US, HCQ is widely prescribed in the setting of SARS CoV 2, and many physicians think it should be used early. Many consider it very safe. Safety profiles exist and it is so widely prescribed many physicians think it is unlikely we have somehow been missing these horrible cardiac side-effects across the hundreds of millions of doses already given.

6. For some comments from a cardiologist organizing one of the US prophylaxis studies, look up a Healio interview with William O'Neill at Henry Ford in Detroit.

7. India loves the stuff. The Indian Council of Medical Research has the official position that HCQ should be used ONLY for the exact setting in which Trump is taking it: prophylaxis of exposed persons. As compared with NY, India is kicking ass; about 1/700th the overall death rate, slums notwithstanding. It's not as if real-world experience is somehow not providing empiric evidence. Spain, France and Italy are finally getting their pandemic under control; all are now enthusiastic supporters of early HCQ use. UK barely uses it. Take a look at new case numbers from those nations.

8. I predict that between now and November, post-exposure prophylaxis using HCQ will be recommended by Fauci. Were I blue, I would not be too hasty ridiculing it now. It will be a bitter pill to swallow if a nutcase with orange hair that I despise turns out to win an election because the public decides he was "smarter" than Sanjay Gupta.

IMHO, of course. And it seems to me a bit petty to decide this should be in IMHO and not GD. Also IMHO.

I will not post again on this in IMHO as the lack of rigor with which comments are challenged is not worth my time.

Last edited by Chief Pedant; 05-19-2020 at 06:28 AM.
  #13  
Old 05-19-2020, 07:26 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
I'm not going to waste time over here in IMHO, but here are a few points to consider:

1. It's stupid to unilaterally decree Trump is lying. He obviously truly believes in hydroxychloroquine.

2. It is not somehow "illegal" for a physician to prescribe a medication off-label, unless you are talking about a situation like New York, where Cuomo issued an executive order (23 March) banning pharmacists from dispensing HCQ to patients not enrolled in a study.

3. There is plenty of pro-HCQ evidence for early use, and for prophylaxis. This is true in vitro, and in practical clinical experience.

4. SERMO intermittently summarizes what real-world clinicians around the world think of various therapeutic approaches to SARS CoV 2 infections. Something like a third of their physician interviewees prescribe HCQ for early use.

5. In the US, HCQ is widely prescribed in the setting of SARS CoV 2, and many physicians think it should be used early. Many consider it very safe. Safety profiles exist and it is so widely prescribed many physicians think it is unlikely we have somehow been missing these horrible cardiac side-effects across the hundreds of millions of doses already given.

6. For some comments from a cardiologist organizing one of the US prophylaxis studies, look up a Healio interview with William O'Neill at Henry Ford in Detroit.

7. India loves the stuff. The Indian Council of Medical Research has the official position that HCQ should be used ONLY for the exact setting in which Trump is taking it: prophylaxis of exposed persons. As compared with NY, India is kicking ass; about 1/700th the overall death rate, slums notwithstanding. It's not as if real-world experience is somehow not providing empiric evidence. Spain, France and Italy are finally getting their pandemic under control; all are now enthusiastic supporters of early HCQ use. UK barely uses it. Take a look at new case numbers from those nations.

8. I predict that between now and November, post-exposure prophylaxis using HCQ will be recommended by Fauci. Were I blue, I would not be too hasty ridiculing it now. It will be a bitter pill to swallow if a nutcase with orange hair that I despise turns out to win an election because the public decides he was "smarter" than Sanjay Gupta.

IMHO, of course. And it seems to me a bit petty to decide this should be in IMHO and not GD. Also IMHO.

I will not post again on this in IMHO as the lack of rigor with which comments are challenged is not worth my time.
There are no credible studies indicating that Hydroxychloroquine works as an antiviral and three recent large studies that so that it is totally and utterly ineffective.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....16.20065920v2

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/healt...udy/index.html

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2012410

Oh, and when I was looking for those links I found these, which were from two more studies.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...-against-covid

So that’s 5.

It didn’t work as antiviral fifty years ago when scientists started studying it as an antiviral and it doesn’t work now. There have been large studies that proven it was ineffective as prophylaxis against flu.

However, a lot of people that take it when they are sick with COVID will get better, because most people with COVID do get better regardless. Most people that take it as a prophylaxis won’t get COVID simply because most people don’t get COVID.

And I would like to point out something about the data in the 5 observational studies I linked to. If you look at the RAW numbers, you will see that the mortality and adverse event rates are DRASTICALLY higher in patients treated with Hydroxychloroquine.

The researchers made adjustments to that data to reflect the fact that the treated patients were, in general, a little sicker.

But as th actual data proving the ineffectiveness of this drug comes pouring in, the people that are desperate for a miracle are doubling down. I’ve seen the studies I’ve linked to above posted on social media with captions like “See, Trump was right! It works).

So, I’m sorry that I don’t have fascinating and rigorous data from YouTube videos and “things people are saying”. I only have actual studies and they’re boring,

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 05-19-2020 at 07:29 AM.
  #14  
Old 05-19-2020, 04:24 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
There are no credible studies indicating that Hydroxychloroquine works as an antiviral and three recent large studies that so that it is totally and utterly ineffective.
But, wait, according to Trump's criminal campaign manager, it has been endorsed by the Assoc. of American Physicians & Surgeons. I mean that sounds like a pretty official group of level headed professionals. Certainly not a thinly masked conservative think tank that believes that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, vaccines are bad and doesn't recognize gun violence as a problem or anything.
  #15  
Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 PM
am77494 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
There are no credible studies indicating that Hydroxychloroquine works as an antiviral and three recent large studies that so that it is totally and utterly ineffective.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....16.20065920v2

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/23/healt...udy/index.html

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2012410

Oh, and when I was looking for those links I found these, which were from two more studies.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...-against-covid

So that’s 5.

It didn’t work as antiviral fifty years ago when scientists started studying it as an antiviral and it doesn’t work now. There have been large studies that proven it was ineffective as prophylaxis against flu.

However, a lot of people that take it when they are sick with COVID will get better, because most people with COVID do get better regardless. Most people that take it as a prophylaxis won’t get COVID simply because most people don’t get COVID.

And I would like to point out something about the data in the 5 observational studies I linked to. If you look at the RAW numbers, you will see that the mortality and adverse event rates are DRASTICALLY higher in patients treated with Hydroxychloroquine.

The researchers made adjustments to that data to reflect the fact that the treated patients were, in general, a little sicker.

But as th actual data proving the ineffectiveness of this drug comes pouring in, the people that are desperate for a miracle are doubling down. I’ve seen the studies I’ve linked to above posted on social media with captions like “See, Trump was right! It works).

So, I’m sorry that I don’t have fascinating and rigorous data from YouTube videos and “things people are saying”. I only have actual studies and they’re boring,
Not a medical professional but not sure I understand your links. All your links are for people who already have Covid-19. Which report shows it’s in-efficacy for use as an preventative?

And please don’t portray Medical professionals as Ultra rational humans; they are not. Let me remind you of the following :

1. Flossing was scientifically found to have no positive effect. Yet both my dentist and my daughter’s dentist keep recommending it.

2. Breast cancer screenings were full of false positives and yet they continued to do them until about recently when they raised the age for screenings.

3. You can’t get research funding for cancer drugs unless you test them first on mice. It is long known that the ratio of WBC/RBC is reverse in mice compared to humans and mice never get cancer naturally and yet the scientific lobby continues.

So please don’t preach that medical scientists are devoid of politics. They very much are NOT!!
  #16  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:02 AM
QuickSilver's Avatar
QuickSilver is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 21,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
7. India loves the stuff. The Indian Council of Medical Research has the official position that HCQ should be used ONLY for the exact setting in which Trump is taking it: prophylaxis of exposed persons. As compared with NY, India is kicking ass; about 1/700th the overall death rate, slums notwithstanding. It's not as if real-world experience is somehow not providing empiric evidence. Spain, France and Italy are finally getting their pandemic under control; all are now enthusiastic supporters of early HCQ use. UK barely uses it. Take a look at new case numbers from those nations.
Incorrect. Here is some reporting on how India's COVID-19 death toll, as reported, is incorrect and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
8. I predict that between now and November, post-exposure prophylaxis using HCQ will be recommended by Fauci. Were I blue, I would not be too hasty ridiculing it now. It will be a bitter pill to swallow if a nutcase with orange hair that I despise turns out to win an election because the public decides he was "smarter" than Sanjay Gupta.
Based on what qualifications and data do you base your prediction?

America is a country in which a large percentage of the population embraces ignorance and mistrusts science. That those who supported Trump will continue to support Trump is not an indictment of science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
IMHO, of course. And it seems to me a bit petty to decide this should be in IMHO and not GD. Also IMHO.

I will not post again on this in IMHO as the lack of rigor with which comments are challenged is not worth my time.
Petty, did you say?


ETA: ninja's by puzzlegal
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 05-19-2020 at 08:04 AM.
  #17  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:57 AM
Mijin's Avatar
Mijin is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
I'm not going to waste time over here in IMHO, but here are a few points to consider:
I will concede that HCQ could be effective; the science is still not settled (though most recent studied lean towards HCQ *not* being effective (thanks Ann Hedonia)).

But let me throw a point back at you: do you think it's responsible for him to advocate for this drug at this time?
(And before you say he's not really "advocating" for this drug, you can't have it both ways: if he gets credit if the drug works then he gets blame if it does not). Should a president be gambling with the health of the population in this way, or should he leave such advice to doctors and scientists?

Quote:
I will not post again on this in IMHO as the lack of rigor with which comments are challenged is not worth my time.
LOL. It's only worth my time to say my piece, and not to hear any of the ways it might get challenged.

Last edited by Mijin; 05-19-2020 at 08:59 AM.
  #18  
Old 05-19-2020, 10:16 AM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
you can't have it both ways: if he gets credit if the drug works then he gets blame if it does not).
This is the person (and administration) that has both told states to get their own ventilators and then when they did took credit for it.
Having his cake and eating it too is sorta his thing.

Not to say that he's right, just that his brain works that way. Come election time, he's absolutely going to take credit for the ventilators and the meds.
I can assure you, he'll talk about the amazing turn around he had getting test kits out to the masses, even though when he was asked why it was taking so long he very, very clearly said he doesn't take responsibility for it.
I understand that very few of his Rs are going to vote D if he makes it that far. Maybe the Rs can make sure he doesn't make it that far along.
  #19  
Old 05-19-2020, 09:29 AM
engineer_comp_geek's Avatar
engineer_comp_geek is online now
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,597
Moderator Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pedant View Post
I'm not going to waste time over here in IMHO, but here are a few points to consider:
...
I will not post again on this in IMHO as the lack of rigor with which comments are challenged is not worth my time.
Do not belittle threads as not worth your time. That's pretty much a textbook example of threadshitting.

This is an official warning for threadshitting. Do not do this again.
  #20  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Folly's Avatar
Folly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago! (no more burbs)
Posts: 2,457
His Dr is giving him tic-tacs.
  #21  
Old 05-19-2020, 05:04 PM
F. U. Shakespeare is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore or less
Posts: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
His Dr is giving him tic-tacs.
Pirin tablets (as seen in The Birdcage: aspirin tablets with the first two letters scratched off).
  #22  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:48 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 16,679
Oh FFS, the Random-Word-Generator-In-Chief is just generating random words as he always does. I'm not sure he even has the mental capacity for guile & hence lies. He just jabbers.
  #23  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:40 PM
Stranger On A Train is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 19,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Oh FFS, the Random-Word-Generator-In-Chief is just generating random words as he always does. I'm not sure he even has the mental capacity for guile & hence lies. He just jabbers.
Yeah, he’s not even a good bullshitter; that would take more talent that he has demonstrated in any part of his career of hawking frozen steaks, offering shitty real estate investment advice, and running waterfront casinos into bankruptcy. He lies the same way that a three-year-old deceives, so obviously and transparently that he isn’t even shamed when caught in the lie. Maybe he is taking “the hydroxy”, or maybe he is taking Tic-Tacs, or maybe he is just lying because that is what some random firing of a synapse caused him to do in the moment; who knows and more importantly, who cares? In paying Trump any attention whatsoever the professional media is just given voice and some measure of credence to his spastic nonsense, which CNN pundits will no doubt feast upon for the next few days until he tweets out some insult about Amal Clooney or mistypes hamburger as “harmbinger” and people trying to figure out if he is the end of the world or just he’s just hungry.

“That guy’s brain is a bag of cats; you can smell the crazy on him from a mile away.” — Dr. Bruce Banner

Stranger
  #24  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:50 PM
KarlGauss's Avatar
KarlGauss is offline
Entangled
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between pole and tropic
Posts: 8,834
nm

Last edited by KarlGauss; 05-18-2020 at 06:51 PM.
  #25  
Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Yeah, he’s not even a good bullshitter; that would take more talent that he has demonstrated in any part of his career of hawking frozen steaks, offering shitty real estate investment advice, and running waterfront casinos into bankruptcy.
No, he is a great bullshitter. It's the one thing he's undeniably good at. If he weren't one, he would have faced consequences for all his failures. He hasn't.
  #26  
Old 05-18-2020, 11:46 PM
russian heel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,105
I want the President to be safe from COVID-19, and encourage him to double the dosage. #MAGA
  #27  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 AM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
No, he is a great bullshitter. It's the one thing he's undeniably good at. If he weren't one, he would have faced consequences for all his failures. He hasn't.
He'd deserve the credit if he had been responsible for avoiding the consequences. But his usual pattern is to wander into the middle of a disaster created by his own incompetence and then sit there until somebody else rescues him. His rescuers have run from Fred Trump who kept giving Donald money every time he blew a fortune to Mitch McConnell who kept Trump in office when he was impeached.
  #28  
Old 05-19-2020, 12:33 AM
Lord Feldon's Avatar
Lord Feldon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,869
After he said this, the White House doctor scrambled to put out a letter that IMO raises more questions that it answers.

The main paragraph says this: "After numerous discussions he and I had regarding the evidence for and against the use of hydroxychloroquine, we concluded the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the relative risks."

Notice what it doesn't say:
-That the doctor spoke to the President about the President using the drug himself, as opposed to its use in treatment generally.
-That the doctor spoke to the President about the President using the drug as a prophylactic, rather than in the hypothetical event that he became ill.
-That the doctor prescribed the drug to the President.
-That the President is in fact taking the drug.

Is the President is lying about taking this drug? That is probably the least bad possibility at this point. But what if he's not lying? Where is this man who has personal control over nuclear weapons getting this drug with those side effects? Does he have, in effect, a drug dealer?

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 05-19-2020 at 12:36 AM.
  #29  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:52 PM
Ponch8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,014
Hopefully the torsade de pointes kicks in soon.
  #30  
Old 05-19-2020, 08:46 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
Hopefully the torsade de pointes kicks in soon.
Has anyone else noticed how the ECG for this resembles his signature?
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #31  
Old 05-18-2020, 05:54 PM
Skypist's Avatar
Skypist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 672
This is a guy who drew a storm path over Alabama with a sharpie when NOAA contradicted him.
  #32  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:21 PM
sjankis630 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 166
Quote:
This is a guy who drew a storm path over Alabama with a sharpie when NOAA contradicted him.
this.
he didn't even have some flunky on his staff clean it up he just left the original ink on there.
I think there is a very good chance he is lying. What has he got to lose?
This is the same man who tells people to wear masks "if it feels right for you" but who doesn't wear one in public or around other people and who is essentially cheering on those Americans who refuse to wear masks in the middle of a pandemic.
Also there is something in that tic tac comment .....
  #33  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:28 PM
beowulff's Avatar
beowulff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Scottsdale, more-or-less
Posts: 17,430
I'm rooting for the side-effects.
  #34  
Old 05-18-2020, 06:52 PM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,947
It's an old drug with an expired patent. I find it hard to imagine anyone is going to make a killing from it.
  #35  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:18 PM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 86,047
I feel the likeliest explanation is that Trump can never admit he was wrong. He said Hydroxychloroquine is the cure for Covid 19 and now he will never back down from that. This is just another Sharpie moment for him.

As to whether he's actually taking it, he probably isn't.
  #36  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 30,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I feel the likeliest explanation is that Trump can never admit he was wrong. He said Hydroxychloroquine
The fact that he pronounced it correctly and each time he says it, he pauses for a second and makes sure to enunciate the word is what bugs me. He doesn't typically make it through any type type of speaking engagement without tripping over a few words. How, or rather why, is he getting this one right every time?

And, I'm not looking for counterexamples, I'm sure he's tripped over this word, but he seems to get it right most of the time.

Maybe it's not that he's being paid by a drug company to push their meds, but rather he latched onto his one in hopes that if it does turn out to be the miracle cure, he can ride that into the next election, claiming that he came up with the cure and he promoted it even when everyone told him he was wrong.
  #37  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:19 PM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 19,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I feel the likeliest explanation is that Trump can never admit he was wrong. He said Hydroxychloroquine is the cure for Covid 19 and now he will never back down from that. This is just another Sharpie moment for him.

As to whether he's actually taking it, he probably isn't.
This is the most likely explanation. Who knows if he's actually taking it or not, but he's saying he is in some kind of attempt to prove he's always been right about it.

I'd be willing to bet that if he avoids catching COVID-19, he'll credit hydroxychloroquine with that in a further attempt to show that he's been right all along.
  #38  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 PM
UDS is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 9,214
Is this a tacit admission that he has tested positive for Covid-19? As far as I recall, those shilling for hydroxychloroquine touted it as a treatment for the condition, not as a prophylactic against contracting it. If so, if Trump is taking it, it follows that either (a) he had Covid-19, or (b) he is as big an idiot as his worst detractors say he is.
  #39  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:12 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
Is this a tacit admission that he has tested positive for Covid-19?
As I recall, they were testing it in last-hope situations, at about ventilator stage. It is not a prophylactic medicine and can be damaging to a hamberder-stressed heart.

It is possible that the doctor is giving it to him under threat of being fired. More likely, though, it is some other thing. The rumor I heard is that the Slovenian paid the doctor to give him the blue pill in excessive doses in order to destroy his ability to further molest her – and to kill the talk once and for all that he fucks pigs.
  #40  
Old 05-18-2020, 07:40 PM
Ukulele Ike is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 18,722
Well, it’ll cure his malaria, anyhow.
__________________
Uke
  #41  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:01 PM
BobLibDem is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 22,327
If a doctor prescribed it, that's malpractice. I think he's lying.
  #42  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:16 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 16,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
If a doctor prescribed it, that's malpractice. I think he's lying.
And yet... When Trump started pushing this stuff (or maybe a little before?) there was that rush of panic buying, and we all read those stories that legitimate patients who really needed the stuff were starting to have a hard time finding it. But this is a prescription-only drug (in the United States).

So that means whole bunches of people were asking their doctors for it, and whole bunches of doctors were (and I suppose still are) prescribing it for their patients just for the asking. Whole lotta malpractice going on there.
  #43  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:19 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 10,013
Trump is a lying fucking con man. The conservatives I know, the ones with the Tump stickers and Trump shirts, love to say "hydroxychloroquine" as a testament to the fact that they know big words.

Last edited by bobot; 05-18-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typed too fast and left the f off of fucking
  #44  
Old 05-18-2020, 08:46 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 17,422
It is off-patent, so anyone can crank the stuff out.
  #45  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:12 PM
Senegoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 16,051
Hydroxychloroquine can cause an encyclopedic catalog of weird side effects (see this lengthy list from Mayo Clinic) including bizarre neurological, psychological, and psychiatric side effects. Here are just a few from the list:
  • feeling that others are watching you or controlling your behavior
  • feeling that others can hear your thoughts
  • feeling, seeing, or hearing things that are not there
  • severe mood or mental changes
  • sticking out of the tongue
  • unusual behavior
  #46  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:20 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 18,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Hydroxychloroquine can cause an encyclopedic catalog of weird side effects (see this lengthy list from Mayo Clinic) including bizarre neurological, psychological, and psychiatric side effects. Here are just a few from the list:
  • feeling that others are watching you or controlling your behavior
  • feeling that others can hear your thoughts
  • feeling, seeing, or hearing things that are not there
  • severe mood or mental changes
  • sticking out of the tongue
  • unusual behavior
But how will we know?
__________________
“All you have to do every day is eat, drink and move forward in some capacity.” --Mary Ann Thomas who cycled 6,000 miles solo over six months across the US and Canada.
  #47  
Old 05-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Brayne Ded is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 609

An explanation at last?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Hydroxychloroquine can cause an encyclopedic catalog of weird side effects (see this lengthy list from Mayo Clinic) including bizarre neurological, psychological, and psychiatric side effects. Here are just a few from the list:
  • feeling that others are watching you or controlling your behavior
  • feeling that others can hear your thoughts
  • feeling, seeing, or hearing things that are not there
  • severe mood or mental changes
  • sticking out of the tongue
  • unusual behavior
So how many years has he been taking it for?
  #48  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:35 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boonies??
Posts: 23,351
I've been to many, many Doctors my whole life. I've never been able to convince any of them to prescribe a drug I had researched and just knew I needed.
But I never had a doctor in my back pocket. That Doctor who lied through his teeth about Trumps health a couple of years ago seems unscrupulous enough to either give him the drug or lie and say he did.

ETA:
He made a press release. It's the same Doctor. He prescribed it.
My god.
__________________
Bad, bad, bad!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-18-2020 at 09:35 PM.
  #49  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:48 PM
Gatopescado is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 23,709
I hope he takes it in suppository form.
  #50  
Old 05-18-2020, 09:51 PM
Chefguy's Avatar
Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 44,055
If he is actually taking the stuff (and I have no reason to believe that fucking liar isn't lying again) I'd have to question the ethics of a doctor who would prescribe it to someone who is morbidly obese (243 pounds, my ass) and who has high LDL cholesterol.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017