Old 03-25-2001, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ghandi5569
I also miss glass bottles. Not a snack food, but it does make soft drinks taste sooooo much better. Coke out of a glass bottle rocks.
Another mention of Buffalo, New York here, even though I don't live there anymore. You can still get most Coke and Pepsi products in 16 ounce glass bottles there, for some reason.

Strangely, you don't see Canadian Coke on supermarket shelves in Buffalo, although you see Mexican Coke in the supermarkets of El Paso and Las Cruces. What gives?
Old 03-25-2001, 04:07 PM

Walnetos, Mary Janes, and Necco Wafers. This last, I've seen but not when I've had time to stop, and then I forget where they are sold. I still make hard candy from boiled syrup every winter, but the youngsters don't like it because I add coffee.
Old 03-26-2001, 04:53 PM
BANNED

Something else I remembered, after seeing the mention of "Pixie Stix:" Our neighborhood store had a product called "Lik-m-Aid," whose cover depicted a Peter Pan-like character pouring the envelope's contents into his mouth. An evelope cost 1˘, and it was available in various flavors. I'd take it home and pour a glass of water in the kitchen, add the Lik-m-Aid envelope's contents along with a teaspoon of sugar, stir it, and have my own personal serving of Kool-Aid. (Once my father came into the kitchen when I was doing this, saw me, and bellowed, "He is playing, He is PLAYING!!" Scared me out of the room. Good God, did he want me to drink beer or wine instead, like he did? I was about 8 at the time.)
Old 03-26-2001, 05:35 PM

I've forgotten how they're spelled, it's been so long, but Toffey-Fay. I see 'em occasionally. "Toffey-Fay, they're too good for kids!"

And, not candy, but one other thing I DESPERATELY miss: Shedd's sauce. They renamed it "Aunt Nellie's Old Style Sauce" and you could find it around once in a while, but I haven't seen it in years (even in the stores that used to carry it) so I must face the sad fact that it's gone.

If anyone's seen it, I'll pay handsomely...
Old 03-31-2001, 02:11 PM

We haven't kilt this thread yet have we?
I just wanted to say I found something today that a few of you might find interesting: candies they still make
I also saw 'Laffy Taffy' today, so the stuff I was talking about earlier, is something else. I seem to remember an affiliation with the Archies characters...but I might be getting that part wrong too.

Arden Ranger, I'm still watching for those Jackson's Lemon Jumble cookies!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
Blackjack Gum

Pop Rocks

Mountain Bars

Nehi soft drinks. Especially Creme Soda.

More, I am sure, but my mind has gone blank.

Uh, Arden Ranger...The Dumas Candy Co.? How, exactly is that pronounced, exactly? Doomoss or Dumbass?
Just curious, sort of.
I think Black Jack is still around, I saw at drugstore. There's a store here in Cleveland (BA Sweeties) that carries old candies
Old 05-23-2020, 09:16 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I've not seen Circus Peanuts since moving back to the US. Always liked those.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefScott View Post
Necco Wafers.

What can I say? I'm weird that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanny May View Post
Walnetos, Mary Janes, and Necco Wafers. This last, I've seen but not when I've had time to stop, and then I forget where they are sold...
Last I heard, NECCO went bankrupt in 2018 and stopped making them, then someone bought the factory and said they'd bring them back. But now I see that Amazon has bought the factory for a warehouse/fulfillment center.

Glad I stocked up back in '18. My horde's been getting me through the quarantine: "Geez, I really want something sweet... That's it, I'm going to cheat and march into a convenience store and buy a dozen donuts!... or, I could pop a chalky wafer and bliss out. And forget all about going to the store."
Old 05-24-2020, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Last I heard, NECCO went bankrupt in 2018 and stopped making them, then someone bought the factory and said they'd bring them back. But now I see that Amazon has bought the factory for a warehouse/fulfillment center.

Glad I stocked up back in '18. My horde's been getting me through the quarantine: "Geez, I really want something sweet... That's it, I'm going to cheat and march into a convenience store and buy a dozen donuts!... or, I could pop a chalky wafer and bliss out. And forget all about going to the store."
Some of the NECCO orphans are returning--Canada Mints have started to show up again. I find them nice to suck on as I sit in the chair for dialysis.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:24 AM

Just curious if there is a record for longest gap between posts, because 19 years has to be up there. Meanwhile, I still miss Ghirardelli flicks in the cardboard tubes with the colored foil ( they resurrected them several years ago but they were made by a different company and were not at all the same).
Old 05-24-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy View Post
A.R., I'll keep my eyes peeled for your Lemon Jumble cookies.

I found a Spudnut shop on the web, about 220 miles from my sister's place - YEEHAW!
(I wonder if she even knows it's there...and would she drive all day for the sake of her little bro?) Unfortunately they don't offer them for sale over the internet.

There is a couple more items from my childhood that I must mention. The problem is, I can't remember the exact names, but I can give a pretty good description.
Both are bubblegum cards.
They didn't have sports figures on them though. The first had comical pictures of sort of Big-Daddy-Roth(ish) race cars/drivers.
The other ones were like something from MAD magazine, with product parodies on 'em. (Like Skimpy Peanut Butter, Gyppy-Pop popcorn, Crust toothpaste)
Any help out there?
Those product parodies might have been "Mr. Baloney's Ads" from 1960. Here are some images and a list of the products (e.g. "Moretoil" detergent, "Grave Train" dog food, and "Never Ready" batteries). https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...set-1831967238
Old 05-24-2020, 09:07 AM

I had no idea that Candy Raisins were a "Milwaukee thing", but growing up there, I loved them.

They disappeared decades ago, and other than a wistful gaze at a candy aisle where they would've been, I managed to muddle by... (had a career, a wife, some kids and dogs, but it just wasn't the same).

Then I got gas at a little station outside Milwaukee, and there they were! Resurrected from the original recipe... I forgot how tasty they are.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
They were still around when this thread was started, and they're still around now. Probably the same ones. I like 'em, but I'm strange that way.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
They're still sold here.

Every five years or so, I get a hankerin' for those vile things. As soon as I eat one, I realize why I hadn't bought them for five years, and throw out the rest.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:21 PM

I miss Wheatables so much. It's been so many years since Keebler stopped it.

I guess I was one of the few that liked Genisoy nutrient bars. They only sell shake powders now. The minty one was my fave.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:28 PM

Necco wafers for me, too. Necco itself is I believe gone from Boston-Cambridge, which is where I'm from. The latter had a street named Necco. They also made Sky Bar.

There was also Welch's candy. I think Raisinets were Welch's. Another one had nuts. They went for "movie food", the kind that came in a small box filled with chocolate covered somethings. One had mints.

Hollywood candy bars, anyone? I loved 'em all. They were never an easy "find". Some stores carried 'em; most didn't. Certain variety stores in certain neighborhoods. One of their bars was call Polar. Another was, as I recall, Malt. Maybe a couple of others. They were bigger than most, close to jumbo size for Hershey or Nestle, yet they cost the same.

The prices of candy bars lasted like forever. I never saw a price increase my entire childhood. A candid bar was a nickel. It went up two cents by the time I was a teen, eventually going to a dime. Nowadays it's like in the blink of an eye they go from two for a dollar to one for a buck and a half. Highway robbery!

Last edited by john b.; 05-24-2020 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper200 View Post
...I miss SweeTarts from before the rolls were tainted with those ungodly blue "fruit punch" candies. SweeTarts were once my very favorite candy, but my enthusiasm has paled somewhat since I had to start throwing away a good 1/5 of the roll....
When I was a kid I used to buy SweeTarts that were two huge tablets of sugary tart goodness. I'd guess they were two inches across, looked kinda like a giant aspirin, except flat on one side, where they nestled next to each other in the cellophane package. They were pink and purple, no other flavors.

The modern ones taste similar, but are more solid (less chalky, I guess.) I like the new yellow and green ones, but agree that the blue ones aren't very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefScott View Post
Necco Wafers.

What can I say? I'm weird that way.
Yeah, me, too.

I bought a lot of Necco wafers when they went out of business, and every so often I go into that stack. But I'm sad I can't just buy them.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:09 PM

Vermont Country Store is a good source for lots of old-timey candy. Other stuff, too... old-fashioned underwear, chenille bedspreads and robes, perfume your mother grandmother wore, cosmetics like Tangee lipstick (the translucent orange one), Max Factor Pancake makeup. It's a fun catalog. I read it from cover to cover whenever I get it in the mail. I've ordered a fair amount of stuff from them, too. Never been to the store--it must be a hoot.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:23 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Every five years or so, I get a hankerin' for those vile things.
I'm the same for Shakey's Buncha Lunch buffet.

Guess that ship has sailed.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:53 PM

Available when this thread started, but not now: Snapple Rain. Part of a larger product line called Elements, it was the only truly unique and great one, flavored with agave and completely clear, it was heaven.

I also miss the original Carnation Breakfast Bars.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:05 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
They were still around when this thread was started, and they're still around now. Probably the same ones. I like 'em, but I'm strange that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
They're still sold here.

Every five years or so, I get a hankerin' for those vile things. As soon as I eat one, I realize why I hadn't bought them for five years, and throw out the rest.
I did not even realize this was a zombie thread. Do brains count as a missed snack? But Circus Peanuts definitely are not on offer here in Hawaii. Must be a distribution thing. I've not been on the mainland since moving back here almost four years ago.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:39 PM

I love Circus Peanuts... the "styrofoam packing peanuts by-product" fakiness, the "look, we were trying for banana but then there was the core meltdown accident, so this is whatcha get" flavor.

I bestowed a small package on a fellow teacher who I'd heard liked them. In front of the class, he opened the pouch, poured them into the pocket of his carpenter pants, and said "I'm going to let these get hard and full of pocket lint, then in a month they'll be delicious..."
Old 05-24-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john b. View Post
Hollywood candy bars, anyone? I loved 'em all. They were never an easy "find". Some stores carried 'em; most didn't. Certain variety stores in certain neighborhoods. One of their bars was call Polar. Another was, as I recall, Malt. Maybe a couple of others. They were bigger than most, close to jumbo size for Hershey or Nestle, yet they cost the same. ...

Milkshake candy bars! I loved those. Like a malty Milky Way.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker for the Dead View Post
Oh, and welcome to the boards exchicagoan. I hope you enjoy your stay and make some new friends . I'm kinda an unliked backround figure here, so don't mind me too much.
Better than being an unliked foreground figure like me.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:43 PM

Blackjack gum, Sugar Daddies with the Nature Cards, and yes, the unlamented except by me Necco Wafers. Although I only liked the licorice ones really.

edited: it appears they still make Sugar Daddies but I haven't seen them in years.
edited again: they were originally called Papa Suckers! in the 1920's. This makes me happy.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 05-24-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Milkshake was a good candy bar.

But I truly miss the Seven Up bar: It had not only had 7 different blocks of fillings, but different bars had different fillings. A lost treasure.

Butter Nut was decent too. Tho its commercial, featuring a singing cow and elephant decked out in 'mod' 1960's style clothing gave me an earworm that still recurs. The subsequent romance between the two singers still freaks me out a bit.

I'm glad they still make the Zero bar. Now I want one.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:44 PM

Frankly, a lot of the bonbons I enjoyed as a kid were basically flavoured sugar and I don’t think I would want to eat them these days. Maybe you can still buy Bottle Caps, cigars, Lik-m-Aid, flavoured powders, garbage cans with bones or salt water taffy.

Perhaps Canada was once poorly characterized as a mix of England and the US - both English and American sweets were popular here. I haven’t seen Tavener’s mixes or sponge toffee for years. When visiting the states, I’d sometimes buy Heath bars, Tahitian Treat and New York Seltzer.

There was a great, short lived chocolate bar called Chocolotto. With each bar you’d win between 5-25 cents, or more chocolate. They were like Nestle Crunch but different flavours. My mom bought a few boxes cheap at Woolco on $1.44 day (and they had great lemon cheesecake there), and I am sure the rebates were more than the cost of the chocolate.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:09 PM

I used to get little candy bones that came in little plastic coffin. The bones hooked together like a puzzle, so if you collected enough, you could make a complete skeleton. I was usually too impatient, so I think I only collected enough to make the full skeleton once.

As a fully grown adult, I still like circus peanuts. They’re like candy corn—not bad if you only eat a few, but if you eat too many you’ll be sick. My goal in life is to make circus peanut jello.

I liked the Necco pink wintergreen lozenges. I guess those are gone now.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:35 PM

my favorite was screaming yellow zonkers made by the same company that made crunch and munch

it was basically buttered corn syrup on popcorn man that stuff was like crack to me ... crackerjacks tried to make something similar and called it "butter toffee" flavor but it wasn't the same........
Old 05-25-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I bought a lot of Necco wafers when they went out of business, and every so often I go into that stack. But I'm sad I can't just buy them.
I found them on amazon. Three 2.02 oz rolls---only $69.95. And hey, free shipping!

https://www.amazon.com/Neccco-Origin...grocery&sr=1-1

Amazon has lots of these items. Not all of it is gouged, either. How about 20 packs of Clove gum for $11.35?

https://www.amazon.com/Clove-Gum-20-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I imagine some is still produced but it just isn't marketed in all the areas they used to be.

Last edited by lobotomyboy63; 05-25-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicEyes View Post
My goal in life is to make circus peanut jello.
I like circus peanuts. I like jello too. But your idea squicks me out.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:30 PM

There used to be a rope of bubble gum called Bub's Daddy. It had the best green apple candy flavor ever. (Skittles- take note! Yours sucks mightily!)

I shall also take these bytes to bemoan the loss of lime as a standard candy flavor. Green Life Savers, SweeTarts, Pixie Sticks, Skittles, little suckers at the bank- now they're all apple or worse, watermelon! Lime was always my favorite flavor!

As far as Nik-L-Nips go, I remember a time when Halloween season would bring with it an assortment of spooky-themed syrup-filled wax figures. I remember witches, skeletons, and ghosts. Then one autumn they didn't appear and never have since.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:03 PM

Only people from Philly or south Jersey will even know what I am talking about. Frank's black cherry wishniak soda and OTCs (Original Trenton Crackers). After the original company folded a company on Long Island took it over for a few years and then they stopped.