Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
So, presumably, what the OP wants to know now is how to get a genuinely randomly (deck of cards) shuffled playlist in Pi Music Player...
Would love.

But would settle for just not hearing the same band 6 out of 17 songs.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Would love.

These are quite possibly contradictory requests.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
This may be incorrect, but I was never under the impression that iTunes "shuffle" was random. Otherwise they would call it "random" play, not "shuffle" play.

I was under the impression that is analyses the songs using some sort of algorithm (as other posters have argued), maybe tempo, genre etc and plays them in groups based on that, siding between groups slowly so there is no jarring change from song to song.

My workout playlist on my iPhone has very wide range of music about +1000 songs, from 1950's rock to modern day with some classical thrown in. When I do a "shuffle" it tends to keep things in their genres and similar tempos. I assumed that was how it was supposed to work.

I'll get many songs in a row by similar artists (or even the same artist) in similar genres, then it will start to shift me to other artists and genres. I never get "Ride of the Valkyries" followed by Sex Pistols "God Save the Queen" followed by "You Can't Hurry Love." etc.
The basic shuffle feature is supposed to be completely random. What you're describing (the analyzing, employing an algorithm, etc) sounds more like the Genius function, which creates shuffles and playlists of complimentary songs.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
So, presumably, what the OP wants to know now is how to get a genuinely randomly (deck of cards) shuffled playlist in Pi Music Player...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
Would love.

Does your app have a list of all your songs in alphabetical order? My main options are Songs, Artists, Albums and Playlists (that I created myself). If you have an all-inclusive alphabetical song list, try what I suggested in post #10. Just pick a song from somewhere on that list and hit Play, with Shuffle turned off. Listen for awhile and see what you think. You have nothing to lose.

The only time you'll hear the same band is in rare cases like Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, which has Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pts. 1 to 5, but that will be the exception, not the rule.

Last edited by Bumbershoot; 05-19-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:51 AM

Gambler's fallacy.

Increase your population and your perceived non-randomness will decrease.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:59 PM

My "random" playlist is a bunch of songs in alphabetical order. It goes through 10 times. The frequency for a particular song depends on how often I want to hear it. One song may be in all time, one every other time and one may only be on 3 and 8.
But.. I have two Edgar Winter songs - Frankenstein and Free Ride. They are usually back to back (Free Bird is sometimes in the middle)
And three of my four Jimmy Buffett songs are close together. Cheeseburger in Paradise, Changes in Latitude and Come Monday. Fins is later down the list.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 PM

There are a lot of deep computer science explanations for why perfect shuffles are tricky. This is an important issue for online gambling. One is simply that there are 8x10^67 possible ways a deck of 52 cards can be shuffled, and most computer random number generators, even the really good ones, can't generate that many unique patterns.

But I agree with other posters, none of those comp-sci-theory flaws are humanly detectable.

The problem with "Shuffle" modes is that the shuffles have annoying, noticeable patterns and clusters. But patterns and clusters is a characteristic of a good shuffle. Decks with no noticeable coincidences are a minority, so if you get those a lot, it's a sign that the shuffle is being tampered with to seem random. Like an account ledger that has no round numbers.

I've heard that web cartoonists sometimes get emails that the "Show Random Comic" link on their web-page isn't "Random enough" because it showed a reader four comics in a row on the same topic, or whatever.

What's really needed is not a "Random shuffle", but an "aesthetically pleasing shuffle". Like an AI Disc Jockey. I'll bet the streaming services have put a lot of time into developing something like that.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

I use Rocket Player on my Galaxy Note 8.

Identical complaint.

I beat it by scrolling down the main song list and randomly hitting play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk