Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodalicious View Post
I imagine the closest Trump would get to Carter's funeral would be walking by the casket as he is lying in state, and maybe saying a few words. ...
"Saying a few words"?

Like what?

"I feel sorry for Jimmy Carter. Not because he's dead but because there aren't as many people here at his funeral as there were at my inauguration. Too bad."

At which point, Rosalynn walks up to trump and knocks his block off with a baseball bat. The Secret Service agents do not intervene.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Under normal circumstances the sitting president would be asked to make an eulogy (not necessarily the ‘main’ eulogy, but at least to speak). However, in this case...no one is going to ask Trump to speak at any funeral because the man can barely string words together into a coherent sentence even when they are projected in front of him, and Trump would almost certainly take the opportunity to badmouth his ‘opponents’ including the deceased given that Carter has (in his own subtle way) expressed his contempt for Trump.
Trump is stupid, and doesn't get "subtle." If Carter took a subtle shot at Trump, Trump wouldn't get it. He doesn't have a racial beef with Carter the way he does Obama, and he probably knows nothing about him. He'll show up if invited and do one of those speeches where he's reading something someone else wrote and so looks and sounds like he's saying it at gunpoint.

Anyway, they won't ask him to say anything. They didn't ask him to say anything at Bush 1.0's funeral.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 AM

I would fully expect Obama to deliver the eulogy. It would be a surprise if Trump even showed up.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well, Trump has been actively alienating close allies and courting the sort of authoritarians that we used to only talk to through covert intermediaries. Basically, he's doing out in the open what the CIA has been doing for decades, only with even more incompetence because this is a man that can't even successfully run a business with a statistically guaranteed gross profit margin. Basically, we just need to have Robert DeNiro fire him.

Stranger
I thought the link was going to be from WAG THE DOG where Hoffman doesn't realize he has been really and truly fired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-5gWhJ3qY so De Niro contains the situation otherwise.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary Name View Post
I thought the link was going to be from WAG THE DOG where Hoffman doesn't realize he has been really and truly fired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-5gWhJ3qY so De Niro contains the situation otherwise.
I love that movie but the character that best represents Trump is Woody Harrelson’s deranged rapist.

Stranger
Old 05-22-2020, 10:53 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I voted for Carter in both 1976 and 1980. Love the man. His funeral will not be awkward, because Chump will not be going anywhere near it.
I voted for him in '80 - my first presidential election. I have always thought him a true gentleman, and thought he did his best. I have been awed by his humanitarian works. I honestly could not see Trump picking up a hammer and building a home for someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I would fully expect Obama to deliver the eulogy. It would be a surprise if Trump even showed up.
I would expect him to refuse to go, be dismissive and insulting in tweets and interviews. I expect Obama would give a great eulogy.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
It would have been almost half a century since he got to drive on public roads too. Once you become president you lose that freedom for life. Maybe he gets to do the odd lap around the peanut farm.
Where does this oft-repeated statement come from? As long as Jimmy Carter has a valid driver's license, he can drive on the public roads just like I can. As an ex-President, he gets Secret Service protection and likely they would advise him for his safety not to drive in public, but the well worn idea that the Secret Service can order a President or ex-President around as if he is a prisoner is simply false.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:12 AM

Carter?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
... despite the fact his actions literally lead to the deaths of more people than Trump, probably only dwarfed by George W Bush due to Carters love of sending money to prop up 3rd World Anti-Commie Dictators.
Do you have the right name there? Names like Reagan and Bush spring to mind instead, but hey, how would I know. Or should we just blame the US gummint for doing that it always does regardless of the current occupant of the Oval Office?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a great story. I think we all can guess with how much fanfare how Chump would have handled the same visit.
And not even worn a mask.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Is there any particular reason to believe Jimmy Carter is at death's door? I know he's 96 and was hospitalized for falls last year, but AFAICT he hasn't contracted Covid 19 or anything. The OP is pretty creepy, IMHO.
It illustrates IMO the duality between the inhibitions of internet discussion and say TV discussion. If there was a cable news panel segment on Carter's funeral plans I think it would still universally considered inappropriate, or the overused 'creepy'. But by the standard of what people say on the internet, seems pretty tame speculation.

Although, unless you assume Trump will be reelected, Carter would have only months to die and Trump still be president during his funeral, not statistically likely*. If Trump were to be reelected then it would be pretty likely (the general death rate in Trump's age range is ~3-4% per year v around 30% per year at Carter's, male life expectancy at Carter's present age is around 2.5 yrs, all figures Social Security Actuarial Table*).

But not really so awkward anyway. Trump would virtually 100% certainly not be asked to speak, and might well not be invited. Again the difference between cable news segments and ordinary people. The former would breathlessly discuss this 'dramatic break from precedent' to fill their 24 hours, most people would shrug.

*general actuarial table including people with all kinds of health situations past and now (eg. Carter got an apparent terminal cancer diagnosis a few years ago, remarkable recovery and good for him, but the effect on his longevity prospects is hard to say I think). Some people who really don't like Trump make what seem to me exaggerated statements about his bad health, but I see no reason to think he's below average in life expectancy for a man his age. The table includes people at that age who already have the serious illness that's going to kill them, smoked for decades, etc. If Trump ate healthy, lost some weight and exercised more his LE might be 20+ yrs. It's not hard to believe it's the average ~12yrs as is.

Last edited by Corry El; 05-23-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Just a side question. If Carter's family did not want a big state funeral, but say a regular funeral in their home congregation, like regular people, could they do this? Is an ex-bigshot like a President obligated to have a big televised splash?

I ask this because of something that occured here in my city. Two police officers were killed in the line of duty, and they had big memorials, one following the other, with a long procession to the cemeteries where they would be buried. I heard a rumor, just a rumor mind you, that the widow of one of the guys didn't want all that, but was pressured into it.

In cases like these, who really has the say so?
Old 05-23-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Just a side question. If Carter's family did not want a big state funeral, but say a regular funeral in their home congregation, like regular people, could they do this? Is an ex-bigshot like a President obligated to have a big televised splash?

I ask this because of something that occured here in my city. Two police officers were killed in the line of duty, and they had big memorials, one following the other, with a long procession to the cemeteries where they would be buried. I heard a rumor, just a rumor mind you, that the widow of one of the guys didn't want all that, but was pressured into it.

See post #57. By what authority could the US tell the Carter family what sort of funeral they must have? How can a city tell a widow what type of funeral a fallen officer must have?

I see you said "pressured" in your next to last sentence and that word means different things to different people, but just like the Carter family is free to have whatever funeral it wants, Obama or Clinton, for example, aree free to call up the family and ask them to please have a state funeral.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I was just referencing the particular event that is typically identified by people wanting to argue that "Carter was a blood-thirsty maniac like all the rest, see!" which is what happens when you listen to Noam Chomsky and don't thoroughly fact-check his claims.

Stranger
You're forgetting that Carter also was having the CIA send aid to the Afghan mujaheddin even before the Soviets invaded, and Carter sending a lot of aid to the Saudi's when they started to do their internal purges.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Carter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg just need to hang on until the next Democratic president. Period.
Agreed. Less than eight months to go, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise Electoral College don't screw things up again.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Two police officers were killed in the line of duty, and they had big memorials, one following the other, with a long procession to the cemeteries where they would be buried. I heard a rumor, just a rumor mind you, that the widow of one of the guys didn't want all that, but was pressured into it.
This strikes at the heart of a sociological question. Just what, exactly, is the function of a funeral? Why do they happen? Whom do they serve?

The more that a person is a public figure, the more the peer pressure on the family to hold a big affair so that the public can also mourn.

It's a similar sort of situation with weddings, of course. Could a famous couple just sign the forms at the courthouse & be legally married? Sure. They don't often happen that way, though, especially for first weddings.

Weddings celebrate the new couple. Funerals celebrate the deceased. Really, though, when you look at these events with the eyes of a sociologist, we see that these are as much about the larger community of attendees as anyone.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Nobody is forced to have any type of funeral. They do what the family and the late president wants. Nixon did not have a big DC funeral. He said he did not want to go back to DC even when he was dead. Also his wife Pat died a year before he did but I assume his kids knew what he wanted for a funeral.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, really, you cannot command a State Funeral, and the choice of speakers and ceremonies would be the family's. And if Rosalynn is still up and going at that time I'd expect her to come right out if anyone were "pressuring" and publicly decline with a classic old-school Bless Their Heart.

(Were the Carter family to forego anything in DC, but still want some tribute at a place alluding to his service to the nation, there's always the Naval Academy; for a larger public laying-in-state there could be the Georgia Statehouse or MLK Center.)

Last edited by JRDelirious; 05-24-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

His presidential library is in Atlanta, so perhaps the services would be there?
Old 05-24-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
That's assuming that Trump outlives Carter.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
FDR got a state funeral, and some papers were discovered a few weeks later where he expressed his wishes, but apparently hadn't told Eleanor or his kids. He had only wanted a small service and a simple burial, and that's not what happened.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
FDR got a state funeral, and some papers were discovered a few weeks later where he expressed his wishes, but apparently hadn't told Eleanor or his kids. He had only wanted a small service and a simple burial, and that's not what happened.
You know it's ironic that this is posted now, earlier this morning I surfed past a show in the History Channel "WWII in HD" that showed the funeral procession of FDR.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:

With his healthy eating habits and regular exercise, there's little chance of that.
Besides, our nation would mourn. Entertainers would have song tributes to try to soothe our wounded nation.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
This strikes at the heart of a sociological question. Just what, exactly, is the function of a funeral? Why do they happen? Whom do they serve?
Who remembers the funeral of Ronald Reagan, in June of 2004?

Geez, what an over-the-top flamboyant week-long extensively scripted and rehearsed cross-country pageant that was, occupying an entire week. I watched the whole thing on TV, that being a time in my life when I really had nothing else to do.

Who was supposed to be the beneficiary of all that?

Last edited by Senegoid; 05-24-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:15 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
With his healthy eating habits and regular exercise, there's little chance of that.
Besides, our nation would mourn. Entertainers would have song tributes to try to soothe our wounded nation.
Are you talking about Chump or about Carter? If Chump, I'm not sure too many entertainers would line up for that. They could probably pull Fred Savage out of mothballs again.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Further more, he did express a desire to have any memorial to him be small and simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
If any memorial is erected to me, I know exactly what I should like it to be. I should like it to consist of a block about the size of this (putting his hand on his desk) and placed in the center of that green plot in front of the Archives Building. I don't care what it is made of, whether limestone or granite or whatnot, but I want it plain without any ornamentation, with the simple carving, "In Memory of ____".
Twenty years after his death, he got it, but then thirty years later some other people horned in and the new one sprawls some 7.5 acres.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post

Geez, what an over-the-top flamboyant week-long extensively scripted and rehearsed cross-country pageant that was, occupying an entire week. I watched the whole thing on TV, that being a time in my life when I really had nothing else to do.

I saw a Reddit thread "Photo developers: What's the strangest thing you saw" and one person said that a woman brought in 15 rolls of film of Reagan's funeral.

No, she wasn't there. She took pictures of the TV as it progressed.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
I saw a Reddit thread "Photo developers: What's the strangest thing you saw" and one person said that a woman brought in 15 rolls of film of Reagan's funeral.

No, she wasn't there. She took pictures of the TV as it progressed.
That's not that dumb. Now if it were pictures of her radio...
Old 05-26-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about Chump or about Carter? If Chump, I'm not sure too many entertainers would line up for that. They could probably pull Fred Savage out of mothballs again.
< joke fail >

It was Resident Trump, and it was supposed to be sarcasm. I didn't want to say out loud how happy everyone would be if tRump passed, as I think there is some rule about it (and this isn't the Pit). There was a song link in the period.

Last edited by Mundane Super Hero; 05-26-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:42 PM

People lined the railroad tracks to pay respect as RFK's body went to DC by train from NYC . His funeral was in NYC. I was 8 and the train went through my town in NJ. The train trip was way longer than normal due to crowds along the tracks.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, I think it’d still be a surprise even if we assume the reverse.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:00 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
No, I think it’d still be a surprise even if we assume the reverse.
"Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

-Lawrence Peter Berra.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

-Lawrence Peter Berra.
This joke also appeared in an old Pogo comic. I wonder who used it first?
Old 05-28-2020, 06:08 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

-Lawrence Peter Berra.
Quote:
This joke also appeared in an old Pogo comic. I wonder who used it first?
Quote Investigator.
Quote:
Quote Investigator: In 1987 William Safire who was the language columnist of “The New York Times” asked Yogi Berra about this statement, and Berra denied that he ever made it. 1 Indeed, the jest was circulating before Berra was born.

The earliest evidence known to QI was printed in a novel titled “The Youth of the Period” by J. F. Shaw Kennedy in 1876. The publisher was based in London.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:22 AM

I don't see Carter banning Trump but he probably won't want him to be the main speaker. Or he may not speak at all.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Quote:
Quote Investigator: In 1987 William Safire who was the language columnist of “The New York Times” asked Yogi Berra about this statement, and Berra denied that he ever made it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi Berra
I really didn’t say everything I said.
We're getting kind of meta here.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Lenin's wife wanted him cremated; we all know how that turned out.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Nancy
Old 05-30-2020, 05:49 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
We're getting kind of meta here.
Like quotes by Mark Twain and Ben Franklin, any quote by Yogi should be followed by (attributed).

Last edited by Colibri; 05-30-2020 at 05:50 PM.