Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Duh. You cook the whole block but give half to your sweetie when you're making her that romantic dinner.
Big spender.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Duh. You cook the whole block but give half to your sweetie when you're making her that romantic dinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Big spender.
Sharing the seasoning packet is a sign of true commitment.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Remember the single serving boxes of cereal?
https://goo.gl/images/exdspm

I always needed two slices of toast & jelly to complete my breakfast.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Sharing the seasoning packet is a sign of true commitment.
I think I’m just going to eat the whole block and then regurgitate half of it for my nesting chicks.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
"serving size" is an odd idea anyway. I much prefer uniform info for 100 g. across products.
Yes. Very much so. Why isn't this the default way of doing it? For one thing, "serving size" is an arbitrary number that's different for everyone. For two, it uses only one realm of measurement (mass [weight]) unlike "serving size" which could be weight, volume, or worst of all, both (I speak of the dreaded and ridiculous unit, the ounce).

Can we have this is the USA please?
Old 07-21-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I mean, I lack self-control when it comes to food and drink, but I'm not sure I've ever finished an entire pint of ice cream by myself. That's a lot of ice cream!
I've eaten three pints in the last three days. B&J Gimme S'More (didn't much like), Haagen-Dazs White Chocolate Raspberry Triple (also meh) and B&J Strawberry Shortcake. They were desserts to my one meal of the day, but I'll admit that was kinda pushing it as far as calories go, as I usually aim for 2000-2500.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:23 AM

Unlike every single other chocolate bar which measures serving size as the whole package (king size or not), Twix says a serving size is a single bar even in the standard two bar package.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
Nobody I know only eats 2 oz. of spaghetti or pasta,
I probably would. I don't think the little single serve boxes of cereal are too small, either, but I could probably fit in a slice of toast as well.

The thing is, there are all sizes of people. Some huge man will obviously need more to keep him going than a small, skinny type. I remember when he was a teenager, my brother would eat multiple weet-bix for breakfast. I think his record was twelve. Growing or active people will pile it down.

I think of myself as a "small eater" but I can scoff donuts and hot chips and anything at all I like and I don't gain weight. I thought I would when I got old(er) because they say your metabolism slows down and you gain weight when you are eating the same as before. Didn't happen.

I've just lost weight being in hospital and I'm trying to eat more and more fattening food. I've just come back from the shops with all sorts of things to try to put the weight back on.

We were saying that it would be great if fat could be moved from one person to another and sold as a commodity. There are heaps of people trying to lose weight who would be glad to sell me some..... sigh.

The portion sizes in the US do seem to be large, particularly those huge cups of soft drink, but they serve you way too much in cafes and restaurants over here, as well. I usually get takeaway because I hate wasting it. I can get several meals out of a "single" serve.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi?) used to be 2 servings in a 12 oz can? I always figured that's how they got it down to 1 calorie.
I don't know. I'm drinking a can of Diet Coke right now, and it says one serving is the full 12 oz. can and has 0 calories.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I don't know. I'm drinking a can of Diet Coke right now, and it says one serving is the full 12 oz. can and has 0 calories.
I don't know about cans, but soda/pop used to be sold in 8 oz bottles as single servings. I believe that serving size continues on for many years, even as larger bottles were made.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Most food items now have the calories for the whole package, and even include "as prepared according to directions."

I still don't care. I eat the whole pint of ice cream or the whole bag of cookies.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
Yes. Very much so. Why isn't this the default way of doing it? For one thing, "serving size" is an arbitrary number that's different for everyone. For two, it uses only one realm of measurement (mass [weight]) unlike "serving size" which could be weight, volume, or worst of all, both (I speak of the dreaded and ridiculous unit, the ounce).

Can we have this is the USA please?
I don't like that at all. Products have different densities and weights. For one item, 100 gr. could be a serving. For another, it could be nothing. Often, there is nothing on the package to indicate if 100 gr is the whole package or just a small portion of it, and I don't have a scale handy when I'm in the grocery store. It's annoying.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapiotar View Post
I don't like that at all. Products have different densities and weights. For one item, 100 gr. could be a serving. For another, it could be nothing. Often, there is nothing on the package to indicate if 100 gr is the whole package or just a small portion of it, and I don't have a scale handy when I'm in the grocery store. It's annoying.
In the last decade, I've never encountered a package label that doesn't tell you how many servings are in the package. It's standard.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
In the last decade, I've never encountered a package label that doesn't tell you how many servings are in the package. It's standard.
Yes, but if 100 g were the across-the-board serving size, you'd see things like "Servings per package: 0.7933."
Old 07-21-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I don't like that at all. Products have different densities 7and weights. For one item, 100 gr. could be a serving. For another, it could be nothing. Often, there is nothing on the package to indicate if 100 gr is the whole package or just a small portion of it, and I don't have a scale handy when I'm in the grocery store. It's annoying.
I agree. Nutrition per 100 grams would be meaningless in many cases.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
That doesn't help much when amounts are rounded. I try to avoid sugar in snacks as much as possible (diabetes), but if the packages says <1 gram of sugar per serving and there are 10 servings there's could be anywhere from 0 to 9.999 grams in the package.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I agree. Nutrition per 100 grams would be meaningless in many cases.

But it does allow you to compare two different brands of cereal, which is now impossible due to arbitrary “servings”.

I would think that is the point of labeling.

Pick a unit (100g / 100ml is standard in the EU) and force manufacturers to put information in this format on the box.

Do not allow manufacturers to pick their own units: they will use 1ml cups and 3g servings.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Walk 2200 miles over some of the most rugged terrain on the East Coast and you can eat pretty much all the calories you want.
My wife hiked a chunk of the AT after she got out of college, and while 3 seems like a lot, 2 is about right.
Plus ice cream does not pack well.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:15 AM

The markings on the coffee pot that came with our coffee maker says it'll make 12 cups. I did some research. It's a 60 oz pot. So I need some 5 oz cups.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
But it does allow you to compare two different brands of cereal, which is now impossible due to arbitrary “servings”.

I would think that is the point of labeling.

Pick a unit (100g / 100ml is standard in the EU) and force manufacturers to put information in this format on the box.

Do not allow manufacturers to pick their own units: they will use 1ml cups and 3g servings.
Even for cereal, a "standard" weight doesn't work. A serving of a dense cereal like Grape Nuts (1/2 cup weighs 58 grams) has a much different weight than an airy one like puffed wheat (1 1/4 cup weighs 16 grams). What would caleries/sugar/fibre per 100 g tell you?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Unlike every single other chocolate bar which measures serving size as the whole package (king size or not), Twix says a serving size is a single bar even in the standard two bar package.
This is ridiculous. What am I supposed to do with the other bar? Vacuum seal it for next week? I don't own that kind of technology and I certainly don't care enough.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:46 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
This is ridiculous. What am I supposed to do with the other bar? Vacuum seal it for next week? I don't own that kind of technology and I certainly don't care enough.
Ziplock bag.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Most food manufacturers seem to have grabbed onto "100 calories" as being a serving, no matter what the volume of food is that it takes to equal 100 calories. They are re-defining what "a serving" means thru deceptive marketing; we'll be lucky if the term isn't near-meaningless in a decade.
Wasn't there a diet book a while back that made a big deal out of 100-calorie increments? I remember when all those 100-cal portion snacks, cookies, pretzels, etc., hit the market at once.

Some years ago Eve* related how her mom watched her peel the lid off a pint of Ben & Jerrys and toss it. Asked why she did that, Eve replied, "Because, mother, its job is done."

*God, I miss her.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
Or some people are adults or children with impulse control who can store a 4+ serving carton of something in the freezer and don't need to eat the whole thing while crying or playing video games or watching tv.
1/2 cup of ice cream isn't even a full scoop.

Here is a link to the US FDA Code of Federal Regulations regarding serving sizes.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip....cfm?fr=101.12

It talks about the methodology for why serving sizes are listed as they are.

It has some rules regarding comparing aerated products (puffed/whipped) versus their regular counterparts, and for comparing products that come in large sizes but portions are typically partial amounts (i.e. a whole pie).
Old 07-23-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Underline mine. Really? Where do you get packaging which gives the values per 100g and not the weight of the whole pack?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpudding View Post
Back in high school I tried putting on weight. I'd eat 3 liters of ice cream in one sitting every day. It didn't work, so I stopped.

I think I got that weight of yours and am currently sitting on it. I wish I could send it to you.

Last edited by salinqmind; 07-23-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

At one time, by one measurement, they called olives a low fat food, since a serving was one, and one olive had less than a gram of fat.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
At one time, by one measurement, they called olives a low fat food, since a serving was one, and one olive had less than a gram of fat.
But was this olive "Giant", "Jumbo", "Extra Jumbo", "Super Jumbo", "Colossal", or "Super Colossal"?
Old 07-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
Don't buy it? I'm not being facetious, out of the mass produced, low quality, nothing nutrition bars, Twixs are my favourite. But after a few months occasionally letting a very dark, high quality, pure chocolate, small square (of decent chocolate like Lindt) melt on my tongue once in a few days a bar of Twix does taste pretty rough. I'm always surprised when I have one and it tastes as chemically and inferior as a McDonald's burger or cheap coffee, but there you are. Maybe re-tune your taste buds? Just a suggestion.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

What I find amusing is Total. Just like the serving size for Chocolate-Frosted Sugar Bombs is only half of a real serving, so they can pretend that it's not so high in sugar, the size for Total is twice a real serving, so they can say that it has 100% of your vitamins and minerals.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What I find amusing is Total. Just like the serving size for Chocolate-Frosted Sugar Bombs is only half of a real serving, so they can pretend that it's not so high in sugar, the size for Total is twice a real serving, so they can say that it has 100% of your vitamins and minerals.
Yeah - that way they don't have to call it Partial.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Even for cereal, a "standard" weight doesn't work. A serving of a dense cereal like Grape Nuts (1/2 cup weighs 58 grams) has a much different weight than an airy one like puffed wheat (1 1/4 cup weighs 16 grams). What would caleries/sugar/fibre per 100 g tell you?
I think the nutrition per 100 grams label works well with people who are comfortable doing some quick math in their heads. It's easy for me to very quickly grasp how many 100g portions are in the package and it's easy for me to see the "kcals per 100g" label e.g. and quickly estimate how many calories are in the portion I'm eating. And I'm American and not used to metric things.

The only serving size that matters is the size of the serving you serve yourself.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
That's exactly the kind of bullshit marketing you avoid with 100 gram labeling.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of bullshit marketing you avoid with 100 gram labeling.
For all of the shitty stuff in China, this is one of the things that I sorely miss. I can look at any label and understand all of the nutritional information I need per 100g. Back here, everything is up to the manufacturer. On the other hand, I don't have to memorize what "carbohydrate" and "fiber" look like in Chinese.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I've bought items imported from Finland, Sweden and other countries that haven't.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
1/2 cup of ice cream isn't even a full scoop.
Old-fashioned ice cream scoops, it is.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Underline mine. Really? Where do you get packaging which gives the values per 100g and not the weight of the whole pack?
Yes, you can figure out how many 100 gram amounts are in the package easily enough, but you don't know if 100 grams is a serving, or half a serving, or 2 servings, or whatever, until you take the package home, open it, take out the amount that is a serving for your meal, and weigh it. Not useful for deciding, in a store, if you want to buy something or not, or if it's worth the money.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I think the nutrition per 100 grams label works well with people who are comfortable doing some quick math in their heads. It's easy for me to very quickly grasp how many 100g portions are in the package and it's easy for me to see the "kcals per 100g" label e.g. and quickly estimate how many calories are in the portion I'm eating. And I'm American and not used to metric things.

The only serving size that matters is the size of the serving you serve yourself.
Some people have to keep stricter track of their intake than others, and knowing the amount considered a serving, in terms of diet, not marketing, is important.

Yes, of course, it is easy to see how many 100 g amounts are is a package. But, again, is 100 grams a standard serving or the item in question? The packaging of the item doesn't tell you if the optimum amount of the food in the package it 22 g, 50 g, 75 g, 100, 150, 200, or whatever. You can guess, based on density of said item or familiarity with it, but generally not helpful for purchasing.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Some people have to keep stricter track of their intake than others, and knowing the amount considered a serving, in terms of diet, not marketing, is important.

Yes, of course, it is easy to see how many 100 g amounts are is a package. But, again, is 100 grams a standard serving or the item in question? The packaging of the item doesn't tell you if the optimum amount of the food in the package it 22 g, 50 g, 75 g, 100, 150, 200, or whatever. You can guess, based on density of said item or familiarity with it, but generally not helpful for purchasing.
Optimum amount of food depends entirely on the person and their situation. "Standard serving" sizes is completely arbitrary. Nutrition per 100ml/gr is not. And it's fairly easy figuring out how much you get out of 100ml/gr by comparing with the total contents of what you purchase, which is usually provided.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, you can figure out how many 100 gram amounts are in the package easily enough, but you don't know if 100 grams is a serving, or half a serving, or 2 servings, or whatever, until you take the package home, open it, take out the amount that is a serving for your meal, and weigh it. Not useful for deciding, in a store, if you want to buy something or not, or if it's worth the money.
But that problem exists independently of whether the label gives the amount by 100g or doesn't even give a single line. And some of us actually know what's a serving size of common foods by weight: my serving size for "dry" pasta or rice is 60g and 40g for soup, independently of the type of pasta or rice. A teenager's about 150g (100g). If you don't happen to know the same for you, that's a personal problem no amount of labeling will solve.

Last edited by Nava; 07-24-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Optimum amount of food depends entirely on the person and their situation. "Standard serving" sizes is completely arbitrary. Nutrition per 100ml/gr is not. And it's fairly easy figuring out how much you get out of 100ml/gr by comparing with the total contents of what you purchase, which is usually provided.
Sure. But how often is 100g what you would really eat?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
And it's fairly easy figuring out how much you get out of 100ml/gr by comparing with the total contents of what you purchase, which is usually provided.
It's even easier to figure out how many "servings" you are about to consume, and multiply the "per serving" nutritional info by that number. Nobody expects that number to be 1 for everyone, but it's safe to assume that it's a fairly small integer for most people. Whereas 100 grams / 100 ml may be 1/5 of a serving for some things (e.g. bottle of soda), and 400 servings for something else (e.g. cooking spray).
Old 07-24-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
There's no such thing as a "standard" serving though. This whole thread has been evidence that serving sizes are chosen by the manufacturer deliberately to manipulate the nutrition label.

Case in point, Tic Tacs. Tic Tacs are 95% sugar. But because FDA labeling laws allow you to claim "zero sugar" if there's under half a gram of sugar per serving, Tic Tacs are exactly 0.49 grams apiece. One "serving" per Tic Tac. And that's how Ferrero gets to market a candy that is 95% sugar as "zero sugar" and "low calorie".

Games like this are played with every item on the supermarket shelves. Your "standard serving" is just one of the game pieces. It's no standard at all.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
There's no such thing as a "standard" serving though. This whole thread has been evidence that serving sizes are chosen by the manufacturer deliberately to manipulate the nutrition label.

Case in point, Tic Tacs. Tic Tacs are 95% sugar. But because FDA labeling laws allow you to claim "zero sugar" if there's under half a gram of sugar per serving, Tic Tacs are exactly 0.49 grams apiece. One "serving" per Tic Tac. And that's how Ferrero gets to market a candy that is 95% sugar as "zero sugar" and "low calorie".

Games like this are played with every item on the supermarket shelves. Your "standard serving" is just one of the game pieces. It's no standard at all.

Sure, but I will never use 100g of cooking spray, so wouldnt it be more useful to see how much a pan worth is?

And 100ML is far too small for many beverages.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
It's even easier to figure out how many "servings" you are about to consume, and multiply the "per serving" nutritional info by that number. Nobody expects that number to be 1 for everyone, but it's safe to assume that it's a fairly small integer for most people. Whereas 100 grams / 100 ml may be 1/5 of a serving for some things (e.g. bottle of soda), and 400 servings for something else (e.g. cooking spray).
100ml/gr is just a round unit, applied to all products. It's not necessarily tied to serving size, and it's not really the point of it either. It is there to tell you how much of what is in 100ml/gr of a product, usually coupled with how much of what is in the total of the product, regardless of much you should consume.

And it's not easier to figure out using serving size, since that can be whatever regardless of nutritional content.

Last edited by Plumpudding; 07-24-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 PM

NETA:

And why would you need serving sizes for cooking spray?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And why would you need serving sizes for cooking spray?
Because when I use cooking spray, I want to know how many calories (or how much fat, or whatever) I'm getting from it.

What the average person really wants to know is "How much fat / calories / sodium / Vitamin C / whatever" am I going to ingest when I consume the amount of this product that I normally consume? "Amount per 100 g" isn't going to answer that question for me, without me doing some additional calculations. "Amount per serving" will, if the amount in a "serving" matches the amount I actually consume, or is something easy to work with, like "1 package" or "1 bar" or "3 cookies."
Old 07-24-2018, 02:23 PM

How would you know the amount you spray is a serving? Do you spray in a measuring cup before applying it?

And again, 100gr is a fairly small amount that is easy to calculate with by account of it being a round number, so I presume that's why it is used as a standard. And that is really the argument for it, it is a standard. Anyway, I think I'll bow out. If you can't see the value of universal standards of measurement I probably can't convince you.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I can see the value of both the "per 100 g" and the "per serving" methods. I think that which one is more useful or convenient depends on the context.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Any hand sized bag of chips divided into multiple servings is a joke. NOBODY doesn't finish a small bag of chips.

Likewise multiple servings on soup cans. Come on.