Old 10-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

They claimed there was a problem with the meter installation that made them unsafe (this was just a day or two after that neighborhood in Boston blew up due to a problem gas meter). So it was a "safety issue".

Yah, we have breath-taking corruption here in the Chicago area.

Meanwhile - I gathered two more trash bags worth of garbage in the old place and tossed them out while waiting for the movers to show up this morning. Yay me! The move of the big/fragile/heavy stuff went without a hitch, thank Og. Put about half the stuff away then had to run around doing other errands around town.

Last edited by Broomstick; 10-24-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Something of that sort - from my perspective it looks like a LOT of properties in the unincorporated part of the county are going vacant. There may be a politically-connected land-grab going on. And I note - this is NOT a city, it's outside-of-any-municipality part of the county. County government in this part of the state is not, shall we say, known for highly ethical behavior.

Perhaps the folks in Gary are envisioning some of the consolidation/renewal that has gone on in Flint, MI and Detroit.... but in those cases they didn't (from what I've heard) cut the utilities just prior to cold weather and force people off the properties, those cities had relocation programs and offered above-board deals to property owners.

Anyhow - had pro movers shift the big stuff today to the new place. Worth every penny to get those items moved fast, efficiently, and safely by pros. While I was waiting for them to show up at the old place I filled two more garbage bags with crap and chucked them into the dumpster, and boxed up some more of the kitchen stuff I want to save. Go me! I am getting it done.
Go you indeed! I learned movers are always worth the money, b/c I always underestimate my ability to pack, transport and unpack my things. This usually made for an even more frustrating moving day. Mover money is peace of mind money.
Sounds like the county may have long-term annexation plans in mind if it's unincorporated area now. Either way, it stinks your landlord and their tenants are caught in the mess but it's not your problem anymore!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Well...

Yes, it is still my problem because I am still down-sizing the 30 years of stuff my late spouse and I accumulated, and cleaning out the old place, and the landlord is still a friend and I'm still planning to help him out some as a friend.

Although today I didn't do much - I moved my second vehicle to its new home in my new place (but not before someone stole my license plate, so yesterday I got to run around to get a temporary plate and a new permanent one on order), and gave a big roaster pan to the friend who gave me the lift back to the old place (she really likes to cook and will have more use for it than I ever have or will). With the power on again (yes, they restored power about 10 hours after the movers got my big stuff out, of course they did...) we'll be able to vacuum and stuff, and have lights. The heat is back on. The water pressure is an issue, but I'm told it's fixable.

My friend from today and I made plans to get an early start on Monday and make some real progress (we're both off that day), then do something fun afterward. Between now and then I'm going to clean out a much better path through the spare bedroom to the well head (which was blocked when I moved stuff so the moving pros could get the big stuff out). What was the name for those puzzles where it a picture made of tiles except one tile was missing so you could shift everything around? Sort of like a 2D rubik's cube? That's sort of my life back at the old place.

May have to spend a day or two at the new place putting things away/organizing. I'm hoping I actually do have a couple months in which to do all this, which I should, unless more Stuff Happens.

Spent a couple hours putting the big, complicated ginormous TV/entertainment center back together again. When I plugged it into the wall and hit the "on" switch nothing exploded, which I took as a good sign, but I'm getting no TV reception. I'm suspecting the TV antennae hook up in the wall does not actually work. I have a separate antenna, but I'm too tired to fool with it tonight. I also still have to reconnect everything on the electric piano and figure out why the Linux computer and the monitor aren't speaking to each other. (The laptop, though, still works fine, as demonstrated by this post).

So... maybe I did do a bunch of stuff after all. Organizing the new place still counts as moving, right? And it's important to be organized.

It's been a real emotional roller coaster. The social worker who runs the bereavement group I attend most weeks has been giving me some extra help to get through all this (as have other friends and various entities) and one of the things she has reminded me to do is pace myself - I need some down time in order to finish this marathon.

Mixed up a big batch of home made surface/window cleaner, too, so while all this stuff it being moved around/packed/unpacked I can clean things up.

So... tomorrow after work I'll put some time in at the old place, the old landlord will be around working on the place on the weekend and I'll be stopping in again after work, and just keep doing a bit every day until it all goes away.

I mentioned that I'd rather see stuff go to people who want/will use stuff, so I have had people asking me about things - like kitchen equipment, candles, my husband's tools and technical books (I've been offered money for those) so maybe a lot of stuff will find new homes, which will make me happy and would have made my husband happy. Still a lot to do.

I try not to get depressed and overwhelmed. I try to focus on the fact I've already done quite a bit. That, and the fact I found a set of bagpipes forgotten under the bed at the old place. I wasn't too surprised by the underbed storage box, but bagpipes? I didn't know we still had a set. The old landlord and I actually kind of laughed about - we both met my husband because of bagpipes and the notion that there was a set lurking under the bed amused us.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Spent hours at the old place yesterday with my friend, as we planned. I got through a bunch of my husband's stuff and it helped to have someone there to keep me on track. Got through some of my stuff. Roughly, since last post:

Another media rack assembled for the VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray/CD's (that makes two)
Two new book cases assembled at the new place
Box of VHS/DVD's taken to the new place
Two boxes of books taken to new place
5 bags of trash to the dumpster
1 bag of clothes donated
2 large boxes of kitchen equipment I've never used or will never use again (my friend took that for herself)
1 room heater (friend took that as well)
Organized some of what is left into keep/donate/shred categories, but some of it is sort of spread around the bedroom to be gone through next time. Including going through some of the books - I'll be shedding quite a bit of my collection - I'll try selling them first (what can I say? I need money), then donating. Same for some of the DVD's and CD's.

It's definitely one of those situations where you made a visible dent but can still feel at the end of the day you have made no progress.

Also discovered that I left the masking tape and surface cleaner at the old place, which makes cleaning stuff at the new place a bit problematic this morning. Although I was going to have today as my "off" day for this stuff I may still have to stop by the old place. Today I'm taking care of bill paying, the new place, my birds, and my mental health (my bereavement group meets today). Tomorrow it's back to work with an hour or two afterward to work on the old place.

ETA: I apparently also have no envelopes at the new place either ::: facepalm :::: Yep, got to stop by the old homestead at least briefly this morning. At least it's not far.

Oh, and hey! I also got the oil changed in my truck yesterday!

Last edited by Broomstick; 10-30-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:43 PM

I love the mental picture of bagpipes lurking under the bed.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of lurking under the bed...

... I got to the underbed boxes which were "husband territory" for storage of whatever he wanted. Apparently, what he wanted to store there was clothes. MORE CLOTHES!!! OMG. I thought it was we women who collected too many clothes! I thought I had found all his old clothes but nooooo...!

>sigh<

Time for more donations. Any suggestions for good causes that could use slightly used t-shirts and blue jeans? Also socks... I don't know if you can donate socks, but I have a LOT of the spouse's socks in good condition, clean/laundered... just previously worn.

Once I get through all that I'll have three, empty underbed storage boxes that will fit comfortably under my current bed. I'm thinking art supplies in at least one of them. I want to keep the clothes just in the two closets (most of 'em in the bedroom closet, coats/jackets/outwear in the front/hallway closet). Got an "accessory storage" unit for the front hall closet so the hats/scarves/gloves I'm keeping will have a home.

Also found more blankets. Guess the Highland, Indiana animal hospital might be getting another donation of those.

My next door neighbor wants the spare twin bed I will no longer have room for - I'll be giving her the linens that go with it. Also probably the extra coffee table.

I've been going through my book collection - having to give up books still hurts, but I'm trying to be brutal. I'm going to be eliminating at least a third of them. >sigh<

I am trying to put in at least an hour a day on cleaning out the old place. It's happening, but it still feels overwhelming. Days when I work it's hard to feel I'm putting in quality time, it's my days "off" (off paying work) when I seem to really make a big dent but I figure even an hour's progress is better than none and it's at least making a little progress. I am taking one day off a week from the old place - when my two closest friends, my sister, my old landlord, and the social worker who helped me get my new place all say TAKE A DAY OFF maybe I should?

One of my days "off" will have to be spent dropping off donations/selling books/trip to the recyclers/etc. - I suppose that still counts as "dealing with" all this stuff, just as much as cleaning/sorting/putting trash in the dumpster.

Haven't even got to the model kits and RC aircraft that I will attempt to sell, or the tools - I'll be keeping a few for my own use but a lot will have to go and I've gotten offers for some of them already.

Still feel a bit unsettled in the new place, don't have any really habits or routines yet so I lack that comfort but I'm trying to form good habits going forward. My stress level seems to be going down - I'm interested in food again. I lost four notches on my belt since September 12. Not the healthiest way to go about weight loss.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Time for more donations. Any suggestions for good causes that could use slightly used t-shirts and blue jeans? Also socks... I don't know if you can donate socks, but I have a LOT of the spouse's socks in good condition, clean/laundered... just previously worn.

Places that help the homeless LOVE donations of socks. They're one of the most needed items -- having clean DRY socks to switch to can prevent all sorts of crippling foot problems -- and yet people seldom think to donate them. They won't at all care the socks aren't brand new, so long as they're clean.

Quote:
Also found more blankets. Guess the Highland, Indiana animal hospital might be getting another donation of those.

Animal Hospitals are good, but don't overlook homeless charities for these as well. There are a lot of homeless who won't stay in the shelters, for various reasons, but who do need blankets to keep them warm. The thing is, the way they use blankets, sleeping outdoors, often on grimy streets or bare dirt, means the blankets gets too soiled for use quite quickly. So they're constantly needing replacements. Ask about those, too, when you call about the sox.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:37 PM

Seconding donating the socks to a homeless facility. Wash them well and put a rubber band around each pair so they're ready to be handed out.
Please keep eating better. We're coming up on sick season and you don't want to be at risk.
I did a little de-cluttering; I donated all my scrapbooking paper (a 7" tall stack of 12X12 sheets) to a local Head Start program and gave away most of my stickers to Trick or Treaters last night.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

I work in retail. I have come to the conclusion that actually planning to de-clutter in December is sort of hopeless. Between work and stress it's just not realistic.

However, I did unload the comic book collection - and got $100 for it (the old ones weren't in great condition, no rares or super valuable ones). I kept a very few issues, the ones I have actually re-read over the years and will most likely re-read again.

I got a storage unit in the basement of the new building and moved in my bike and a couple bins of items that, while I want to save them and do use them, I don't need to have constantly accessible. Seasonal decorations, my box of giftwrap/bows/etc., the fabric I use for quilting, the yarn and thread for the other fiber arts. It's all in rubbermaid totes instead of cardboard boxes.

Working on the interior of my new place - got the two sewing machines moved in and oiled. Unfortunately, the drive belt on the treadle machine died (it was over 20 years old) but I can order a new one on Amazon. Consolidating the paper arts into an underbed box. I have six boxes from the old place I'm unpacking/putting away right now, when they're done I'll bring more over.

The goal(s) here are to only bring stuff to the new place that I will actually keep. Everything else has to either be sold, donated, or tossed.

I'm taking a week off in January. While some of that will be rest and recuperation from the Holiday Hell of Retail I'm hoping to put in some quality time on what's left of my mess.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

It sounds to me like you are managing this well, not least because you are not letting yourself be overwhelmed into not starting, and pacing yourself, and keeping at it. Yay Broomstick.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I work in retail. I have come to the conclusion that actually planning to de-clutter in December is sort of hopeless. Between work and stress it's just not realistic.

However, I did unload the comic book collection - and got $100 for it (the old ones weren't in great condition, no rares or super valuable ones). I kept a very few issues, the ones I have actually re-read over the years and will most likely re-read again.

I got a storage unit in the basement of the new building and moved in my bike and a couple bins of items that, while I want to save them and do use them, I don't need to have constantly accessible. Seasonal decorations, my box of giftwrap/bows/etc., the fabric I use for quilting, the yarn and thread for the other fiber arts. It's all in rubbermaid totes instead of cardboard boxes.

Working on the interior of my new place - got the two sewing machines moved in and oiled. Unfortunately, the drive belt on the treadle machine died (it was over 20 years old) but I can order a new one on Amazon. Consolidating the paper arts into an underbed box. I have six boxes from the old place I'm unpacking/putting away right now, when they're done I'll bring more over.

The goal(s) here are to only bring stuff to the new place that I will actually keep. Everything else has to either be sold, donated, or tossed.

I'm taking a week off in January. While some of that will be rest and recuperation from the Holiday Hell of Retail I'm hoping to put in some quality time on what's left of my mess.
Sounds like you have tremendous momentum! If there's one thing working in retail made me see, it's that pursuit of stuff is a temporary high that leaves lasting mental damage.
Keep up the good work!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

I have a professional declutterer upstairs working in my bedroom right now! I'll report back on how it goes. Her process is to take everything out of the room first and sort it into themed piles, then put back in only the stuff that belongs in that room, and put everything else in the appropriate places for the next steps.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:03 PM

Just cleaned up STACKS of accumulated papers and files in the study, and as unexpected reward found the old passport (with still-current foreign visa so I don't want to lose it) that I thought had been lost somewhere months ago! Hurray for cleanup!!

Still left with two paper bags of old statements from retirement savings funds, though, some going back decades. Can I just toss them??
Old 12-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
Sounds like you have tremendous momentum! If there's one thing working in retail made me see, it's that pursuit of stuff is a temporary high that leaves lasting mental damage.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the atta girl - I sort of needed that right now. I'd like to be going through things a bit faster, but as long as I keep moving that's a good thing. I still get emotional hiccups from time to time with the stuff but I force myself to get past that.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM

I have been following this. I know I got rid of tons after my husband died. Then helped my mother when Dad died. Then a tenant who died with no living relatives at all. I have so little of my own, having determined to never put a person I care about thru the ordeal of tossing out my stuff. It hurts.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I hired a local gal to come and help me purge. When I moved in, 15 years ago, I just put stacks of boxes of crap and bags of clothes in a spare room and closed the door, more or less. Plus the accumulation since then. So she's going through stuff. Clothes, all toss. Boxes, review. If there's anything personal or that looks valuable, set aside. Anything she wants, after I look it over, she can have. Everything else goes to the dump. So far she's put in two days, made $200 and I'm rid of a couple carloads of crap. Yay!

StG
Old 12-16-2018, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I have been following this. I know I got rid of tons after my husband died. Then helped my mother when Dad died. Then a tenant who died with no living relatives at all. I have so little of my own, having determined to never put a person I care about thru the ordeal of tossing out my stuff. It hurts.
One of the things that have struck me, going through the sheer amount of stuff my husband owned, is that for several years he was fascinated by the "tiny houses" and talked about living in one. Which would have been ludicrous - unless we had also owned a gigantic building next to it to house all his stuff!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the atta girl - I sort of needed that right now. I'd like to be going through things a bit faster, but as long as I keep moving that's a good thing. I still get emotional hiccups from time to time with the stuff but I force myself to get past that.
You're welcome! You really are doing great, I'm seriously envious. You are where I want to be in the process.
The emotional hiccups are the worst, they can be a brick wall. In the last 4 years I've been through a divorce, my dad died, then I went to my mom's to pack up and take home his library and a ton of her clothes that didn't fit her so she can sell the house. (She's a hoarder, always has been and I suspect it's seeded in depression.) Couple it w/ a house under renovation and my own depression and I know exactly what you mean by the emotional hiccup. I finally made a separate plastic tote for those things I could tell would cause me to stop sorting for several minutes. I'll deal w/ them later.
Following your thread gives me frequent reminders not only of what I should do, but what I CAN do.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Well, I didn't expect any progress on The Pile during the last two weeks of December what with working retail and the holidays. I concentrated on keeping the dishes washed, the bathroom clean, getting rest, eating decently, and getting to work. I managed to succeed at all counts, so yay me. Neither place is any worse, so good there, too.

After the New Year I collected trash bins from the old place, washed/sanitized them as needed, and now have a bucket for trash in every room of the new place.

Not much more than that the past week, but starting Tuesday I have a week vacation and my friend who's good at helping with this sort of thing coming from out of town. While we are, of course, intending to have some fun we will also be working on The Pile so I'm hoping we make real progress. Also, I'm hoping she'll help jump-start me again on working this aggressively.

Also, she'll be helping me out a bit with the computers/electronics, both figuring out what is/isn't worth keeping, getting the crap bits recycled/disposed of properly. Also the entertainment center - getting the TV antennae hooked up, mostly, and maybe connecting it to the internet. Apparently I hooked everything else up properly because the rest of it works fine. But while a DVD player with a fantastic 70" screen is a lot of fun I'd like to get even more capability out of it.

Oh, and she's upgrading her smartphone and said she'll give me her old one - nothing wrong with it, just not as new as the one she is getting. So it looks like I'll be getting a smartphone and fully joining the 21st Century. I'm hoping that goes smoothly - I think the cellphone might still be in the late Mr. Broomstick's name so that could turn into a mess (it got a bit sticky with my internet provider, but that's sorted out now).
Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Hi Broomstick,
I subscribed to this thread a long time ago and every Monday morning I read updates to the thread. I just want to tell you that I've been following your posts all this time. I'm more of a lurker than a poster so I haven't said much, but it does my heart good to see you doing what you can when you can through good times, bad times and major heartaching times. I want to tell you that seeing your posts every week inspires me to tackle my own piles and keep my mind on my goals, so thank you! And yes, it is important to have fun times too, it helps to "re-charge your batteries" so to speak. Enjoy your vacation.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:54 PM

I just discovered this thread now too. Here are some of my successes: We had an old 30yr old tv upstairs that we finally got rid of. It was just collecting dust in a corner. With no guests staying with us for years, we got rid of the guest bedroom to make way for a home office. The bed/mattress was around 20yrs old. We did a pick up service with Salvation Army. Really telling was that we used their services 10yrs ago I had not realized I was calling the same pickup services 10yrs later (they still had records from 10yrs ago!) However on their online scheduling you have to be exact of what you want picked up. The first trip they only got the mattress and I had to do another online scheduling for them to get the foundation! Luckily with the foundation we decided to get rid of the treadmill (still working) but we just use our portable pedalers now. It truly opened up space in our bedrooms!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:16 PM

Another gem was back in 2011 I bought an X-Men figurine set from the Disney Store, I'd never open it, hoping it would rise in value for me to resell. Unfortunately, there was more Avengers hype thru the films and less X-Men hype. Years later I'd seen is sold on Ebay for the price I bought it for and with sellers fees and work, it wasn't worth it. It was collecting dust in my closet until I randomly saw a comic book/toy sale convention so close by to my house at a random Holiday Inn. Relieved I got rid of it selling it at the price I bought it for. I'd never haggled with a seller before, but the seller really liked the set. Luckily good timing, the conventions eventually moved to up north in my city and I would not have driven 30 miles just to sell a toy set.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:29 PM

And now a counter-argument from the ANTI decluttering side of things:

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2019...-netflix-show/
Old 01-08-2019, 08:00 PM

Small change but I purged some Christmas decorations. Mostly just broken ornaments or back of the tree ornaments but several other decorations that hadn’t gone up in years or I wasn’t sure where they came from. More importantly I didn’t go to or buy anything from post Christmas clearance.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Christmas has been crazy. I mentioned to my mother that I'd tossed several bags of clothes recently (clothes container, it gets further separated into "sell, donate, rags") and she said she needs to do the same. We agreed that next time I'm at her house for more than a quick hihowarey'all, we'll start going through her clothes "like you helped me with the kitchen stuff" (<- her words). Some of those kitchen items we cleaned up are now in the houses of other relatives or of friends; those which were simply unusable got tossed into the appropriate recycling bin. Now you can get stuff from the back of the cupboards without needing to empty the front into a standard shipping container; the idea is to do the same with the clothes.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:08 AM

I came across this thread months ago, but today is the first time that I’ve actually read through it. Y’all are awesome in the progress you’ve made.

I, my wife, and my two almost-teenage sons live in a small house: about 900 square feet. We have a small shed / shop behind the house and a single car carport. Inside the house each bedroom has a small closet and there are two linen closets: one in the laundry room and one in the bathroom.

When we moved into this house we had to do it on very short notice: our old house experienced catastrophic flooding from a burst pipe that made staying there unsafe. We boxed up everything and spend a weekend hauling shit to the new place which, luckily enough, was only a couple blocks away.

That was a year and a half ago and we’re still dealing with boxes. The shed is crammed with them and unusable as anything other than storage right now, and of course what is stored in there is essentially inaccessible. Christmas of 2017 we pulled out our decorations, but afterwards the boxes of decor ended up staying in one of the bedrooms, just sitting out in the open, because we didn’t really have a way to get them back in the shed. Or, more accurately, it was too big a PITA to put them back. We use the laundry room linen closet as a pantry because it’s really the only place that we have to store dry goods—our kitchen is tiny. The other linen closet is used for actual linens and towels.

We’ve committed ourselves to try to get this place organized. I’m a graduate student, and I’m trying to finish my thesis this spring while working part-time. My wife works full-time and I work on the weekends, so we’ll have to tackle this in chunks, each of us taking separate duties at different times. There’s a show on Netflix that my wife found called Tidying Up, about a woman that helps people, well, tidy up their houses. Years ago we watched the BBC program How Clean is your House, and it had a lot of good cleaning tips, although I don’t remember many of them.

Yesterday evening my wife went into the bedroom and started going through all her clothes that were hanging in the closet. She set aside pile for goodwill that eventually filled a black lawn debris trash bag. I’m so happy! Tonight it’ll be my turn: I’ll go through all my clothes and try to determine what I want to keep and what I want to get rid of. I know that won’t be easy. Us fat guys have trouble finding clothes and the only local store that sold stuff that fit me comfortably shut its doors last year. But I have too much clothes and need to thin out my closet.

I’m still not sure what we’re going to do with all our boxes of crap or indeed how to even begin tackling them.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Mere Member

Lancia, the show you watched was Tidying Up With Marie Kondo. I watched it, too, and really liked it. I'd never heard of her, but she's quite famous. What's really helping me clear out some stuff is one of the questions she asks: "Do you want to carry this into the future with you?"

I "tidied" my sock drawer her way so I could see everything. I couldn't believe how many pairs of socks I have!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
Lancia, the show you watched was Tidying Up With Marie Kondo. I watched it, too, and really liked it. I'd never heard of her, but she's quite famous. What's really helping me clear out some stuff is one of the questions she asks: "Do you want to carry this into the future with you?"

I "tidied" my sock drawer her way so I could see everything. I couldn't believe how many pairs of socks I have!
My wife did the same thing, folding everything so they stack vertically. An hour into the project she called me in and showed me her new and improved sock 'n underwear drawer. She had found some shoebox-sized wicker baskets that were lined with cloth and used those to keep everything in the drawer seperate. It looked very neat and tidy.

Then she showed me a stack of a dozen or so socks and pairs of underwear that she said she had found at the bottom of the drawer--unopened. She vaguely remembers buying them when we lived at the other house. She was gobsmacked that she had so many pairs of socks and underwear that the new stuff had literally been long forgotten at the bottom of the drawer.

I suspect it's going to be very cathartic to get rid of stuff, and I suspect (or maybe just hope) my anxiety and depression will ease a bit when the house is clutter-free.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

In preparation for doing my annual tax return (due in 3 weeks) I'm going to have my annual massive paperwork winnowing exercise.

As for clothes, I have far too many, but I'm keeping them for when I lose weight.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

First day of the Vacation Clean Up:

Took the eight empty boxes from unpacking at the new place and brought them to the old place.

We got rid of some books that had, sad to say, come to the end of their existence as books (mold/mildew) Got through two large boxes of stuff, mostly old papers and financial records but some keepsakes mixed in, bundled a LOT of old magazines to go to the recyclers, gathered up the trash....

... and then discovered the lock on the dumpster was f***ed and we couldn't get into it.

I texted the landlord yesterday and last night he came by and got the lock off so we can finish that today. Then load up the pickup for a trip to the recycle place.

Anyhow, after about 3-4 hours at the old place we had a lot of stacks sorted out which resulted in one of those moments of "did we actually make any progress?" Yes, yes we did, we should be able to clear out a bunch of stuff once we get there.

We went out for lunch. Sushi. Because we deserved it.

Toss up between starting to take stuff to the eBay store for consignment sales, or books to the book resellers/library, or carting off donation items to donation places. I suppose, after we take out the garbage and deal with the recycling we can decide then.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

OK, second day was a bit of a bust.

I *did* put a bunch of stuff away at the New Place, finally took down the holiday decorations, and cleaned some of the kitchen stuff brought over from the Old Place, but then we elected to take care of the Phone Situation. I've been using an old flip phone and the battery was starting to go. So off to the phone company.

As it happened, we couldn't use the prior phone a friend had given me after upgrading so I had to get a new new phone. Which was not something I planned to do but was something I knew was an option. Most important, I could keep my old phone number. End result - my phone bill upticked by about $25/month as I got my first smartphone, but I think I'll get enough utility out of it to justify that. It needed to be done, and my Friend from Out of Town was able to help me navigate getting a new one and making choices. I got an entry level phone with a minimal data plan, and the FfOoT and I are working out how I'm going to manage the account. If I need another upgrade, well, we'll see but this is where I'm starting. I'm not going to be gaming or watching movies on it. It did eat up what little gain I got from my most recent raise back at the end of October, but I can still pay the rent and eat.

What I didn't anticipate was the emotional toll this would take. Because this is when I sever yet another tie to my husband, eliminating his phone line, erasing him a little bit more from the world. So, after that, I was too emotionally exhausted to work on the Old Place. My FfOoT said nope, we're in for the day at the New Place, you've done enough, you need to rest and recharge.

So I did - we did some craft stuff (I knitted, she worked on her beading project), ate homemade chicken stew with homemade bread for dinner, brewed a real pot of real tea, talked, read, cruised the internet, poked at my new phone... and I slept a full eight hours and feel MUCH better this morning.

But - even if this was an "off" day I still put a bunch of stuff away where it belonged, took down holiday stuff, and continued with the cleaning both routine and connected to the move. And finally took care of the "phone thing". So, even if not a lot of progress still some progress.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Dove in this morning.

Took a load of laundry to the laundromat drop-off.

We tossed out the trash first thing - filled half the dumpster.

Filled the back of the pickup with recycle stuff and took it to the place where such things happen. Didn't collect a LOT of money but hey, that's about a dumpster's worth of stuff that didn't go in the local landfill and I got enough to pay for the gas needed and then some (about half the cost of the laundry).

Went back to the old place, sorted three more boxes of stuff and reclaimed a computer printer, cables, and the shelf unit that holds all of the computer printers and their supplies to take to the new place. Also got the shelf/storage unit out of the bathroom and took it to the new place which desperately needs such things.

Threw more garbage in the dumpster.

Went out to eat lunch at the local Mediterranean restaurant as a reward. Then did a little shopping and picked up the laundry on the way home. Also picked up a hook to hand my folding cart in the storage unit downstairs, saving more room both in my apartment and in the storage lock up.

And probably a bunch of other stuff I don't remember - a bit tired from all that, felt like we got a lot done. Rest of the day is for relaxing and fun.