Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM
simster simster is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
I'd heard that "grease" was the word.
You heard incorrect... Stroke is the word, If you're in the game that is.
  #102  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 28,980
Ohhh I got one that actually fits the OP:

If you are about to activate the percussion mechanism on a firearm, it will inevitably have something to do with African-Americans.
  #103  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Chanteuse Chanteuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Chews
Love is:

A battlefield
A drug
A stranger
A cannibal
A river
A razor
A hunger
A flower
A marathon
A sweet thing
A blind ambition
A four letter word
And it bites.
It bleeds.
It'll bring you to your knees.

It lives.
It dies.
But, hey, that shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

It begs.
It pleads.
But it's exactly what you need.


I've also learned that rock and roll will always be rock and roll--whether it's hot funk, cool punk--even if it's old junk. But give ME that old-time rock and roll--that's what really soothes my soul!
  #104  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Vevila Vevila is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Posts: 178
I learned that Michael J. Fox has no Elvis in him, and is in fact the evil opposite of Elvis, the anti-Elvis.

The reason why ships disappear in the Bermuda Triangle is because Elvis needs boats.

Every woman loves a sharply-dressed man.
  #105  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:27 AM
shizaru shizaru is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 356
Everyday is actually just like Sunday.

Oh, and I can dance if I want to, I can leave my friends behind....
  #106  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Cat Whisperer Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Chews
Love is:

A battlefield
A drug
A stranger
A cannibal
A river
A razor
A hunger
A flower
A marathon
A sweet thing
A blind ambition
A four letter word
And it stinks, too.
  #107  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:41 AM
The Seventh Deadly Finn The Seventh Deadly Finn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 516
No one ever conquered Wyoming, either from the left or the right.

When bad folks die, they don't go to Heaven. They may return by Independence day, however.

Heroin is passe. Extremely so.
  #108  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 AM
The Seventh Deadly Finn The Seventh Deadly Finn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Chews
Love is:

A battlefield
A drug
A stranger
A cannibal
A river
A razor
A hunger
A flower
A marathon
A sweet thing
A blind ambition
A four letter word
Actually, it's a flower. And you, its only seed.

(Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go barf.)
  #109  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Risha Risha is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vevila
The reason why ships disappear in the Bermuda Triangle is because Elvis needs boats.
He also needs planes.
  #110  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Risha Risha is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,996
Oh, and if you take a fish head to the movies, you won't have to pay to get it in!
  #111  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Shadowfyre Shadowfyre is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 495
Women with large buttocks make the rockin' world rotate. (I suspect it has to do with a gravitational anomoly due to the close proximity of so many large asses.) However, Sir Mix-a-lot likes it that way. More cushion for the pushin', I suppose.

Here I am now. Entertain me.

Though he has climbed highest mountains and run through the fields only to be with me, Bono still hasn't found whatever the hell he has been looking for.

I ain't talkin 'bout love. My love is rotten to the core.

When the dogs begin to smell her, she will not smell alone.

All we are is dust in the wind.

Neil Diamond can sing like a gee-tar humming.

To dance the Bamba, you need a little grace

If my baby don't love me no more, I know her sister will.
  #112  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
AncientHumanoid's Avatar
AncientHumanoid AncientHumanoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Quantum foam
Posts: 24,402
Interplanetary relations needs are often conveyed via techno music. For instance, Mars Needs Women.
  #113  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Chews
Love is:

A battlefield
A drug
A stranger
A cannibal
A river
A razor
A hunger
A flower
A marathon
A sweet thing
A blind ambition
A four letter word
It's also a crazy little thing. In fact, you'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs, but I look around this thread and see it isn't so. Clearly they just want to fill the thread with silly love songs, and what's wrong with that?

And Rick James got tired of his super freaky girlfriend who liked to party all the time so he had Eddie Murphy date her instead.

And regardless if you live in the city or no man's land, night and day are always dramatically different.
  #114  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Hoopy Frood Hoopy Frood is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,470
Regardless of what the word is, it's frequently heard on the street.
  #115  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 AM
AncientHumanoid's Avatar
AncientHumanoid AncientHumanoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Quantum foam
Posts: 24,402
Joe Walsh knows what I'm doing* and where I'm going.








*Spending too much time in this thread!
  #116  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Chez Guevara Chez Guevara is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Gloucestershire, UK
Posts: 3,970
There is no remedy for deep unhappiness between spring and autumn.
  #117  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM
AncientHumanoid's Avatar
AncientHumanoid AncientHumanoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Quantum foam
Posts: 24,402
Hippies shouldn't even bother filling out an employment application.
  #118  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Gail Gail is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Nevada, United States
Posts: 1,207
Watching puddles gather rain is an essential part of a plain life.

Even if you have a Dalmatian, you can still get high.

If you need somebody to shove, all you have to do is wait by the phone.

Your fun will end once the sun comes up over Santa Monica boulevard.

If someone wants to meet you behind the boathouse, don't go, because he won't be a gentleman.

Apparently, you can find the funk with a flashlight, if not, you can just tear the roof off the sucker.

Nature is a whore.

If I spontaneously combust, because of you're kisses, it's because I'm a hunk of burning love.

Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, it's a religion and the law.

Yep and concept actually do rhyme.
  #119  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Ellen Cherry Ellen Cherry is offline
Une merveilleuse cerise
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Near Eskippakithiki
Posts: 11,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork And Candy
It's absolute murder on the dance floor. Seriously.
Don't park there, either. Ever.
  #120  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 Lemur866 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,239
It is very important to get up, get on up.
It is also very important to get down, get down.

Wait, what was that again? I was just getting up...was that down? I guess I'll sort of hunch over here, half-up and half-down and hope to Christ no one noticed...
  #121  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:13 PM
sneezy5660 sneezy5660 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rah Cheer
Posts: 279
Love is like Oxygen.

Colitas has a pungent fragrance when heated.

You can't jump the track.

Pink is one of Steven Tyler's favorite colors. What's the other?

Apparantly, big, black horses like cherries.
  #122  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Ghanima Ghanima is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: East Bay
Posts: 3,523
It's all the same...only the names will change.
  #123  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Draelin Draelin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanima
It's all the same...only the names will change.
Damn you. I've been trying to work a good Bon Jovi line since yesterday.
  #124  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
JThunder JThunder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 12,320
Rocks are insensate and islands shed no tears.
  #125  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
UKCatGirl UKCatGirl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Disney World!
Posts: 114
You should never trust your soul to a backwoods lawyer from the South.

Living in the fast lane will be a detriment to your mental health.
  #126  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
pbbth pbbth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: under a pile of kitties
Posts: 5,940
If you played the guitar until your fingers bled in 1969, those must have been the best days of your life.

Oh yeah, and life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Even though some men just want to use your love tonight, they don't want to lose your love tonight.
  #127  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Blanche Blanche is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rieux
Anyone who has "arms" will inevitabley also have "charms."
Unless they are Dinner Lady Arms .
  #128  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Nature's Call Nature's Call is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 1,754
For all we've learned there are a few questions still outstanding:

Who put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong?
Who wrote the book of love?
How many roads must a man walk down?
For the love of god, who let the dogs out?
  #129  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 25,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Call
Here are some of the things "you've got to" do...
...try a little tenderness
...hide your love away
...hold on for one more day
...go
...stop sobbing
  #130  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
gigi gigi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Flatlander in NH
Posts: 25,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Chews
Love is:

A battlefield
A drug
A stranger
A cannibal
A river
A razor
A hunger
A flower
A marathon
A sweet thing
A blind ambition
A four letter word
...stronger than justice
...thicker than blood
...a big fat river in flood

Love is like:

oxygen
a rock
a butterfly
  #131  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
AncientHumanoid's Avatar
AncientHumanoid AncientHumanoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Quantum foam
Posts: 24,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Call
For all we've learned there are a few questions still outstanding:


How many roads must a man walk down?







Forty Two
  #132  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Chanteuse Chanteuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,117
I've found that while life is indeed a rock, it's the radio that will roll you.

If my heart is ever broken, someone will be there before I've cried two tears (but I'll wind up crying 96 of them).

You can't fight the moonlight.

There ain't nothing gonna break-a my stride.

That I love you just the way you are, and more than I can say--so come on, and let your love flow. Cause, after all, love will keep us together.

If love doesn't work out, though, turn on those sad songs, because we all know they say so much. And everybody knows a song sung blue.
  #133  
Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Excalibre Excalibre is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse
Cause, after all, love will keep us together.
Conversely, love will tear us apart again.

I'm thinking the explanation must involve quantum physics or something.
  #134  
Old 07-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Talon Karrde Talon Karrde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Obamasville, Minnesota
Posts: 2,115
I've seen the future, baby-- it is murder (doo doo doo).

December boys have it bad.

The power lines have floaters so the airplanes won't get snagged.

If your dad takes your car away, you'll have just as much fun because you'll still have lots of things to do.
  #135  
Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM
AncientHumanoid's Avatar
AncientHumanoid AncientHumanoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Quantum foam
Posts: 24,402
Quote:
I'm thinking the explanation must involve quantum physics or something.
Or, at the very least, an uncertainty principle.



Did you guys know that Detroit rocks to the Planet Rock?

(Don't stop.)
  #136  
Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Biffy the Elephant Shrew Biffy the Elephant Shrew is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Over on the left
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Call
Who wrote the book of love?
I know who wrote the Book of Love,
It was an idiot!
It was a fool!
A slobbering fool with a speech defect and a shaking hand!
And he wrote my name
Next to yours...

--Robyn Hitchcock
  #137  
Old 07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Corner Case's Avatar
Corner Case Corner Case is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Flower Mound, TX, USA
Posts: 1,481
I'll never get to Clarksville now.

When tiptoeing, especially to avoid damaging flowers, undo strain is placed upon the diaphragm and larynx.

The specifications for a new pharmaceutical are daunting.

I'm confused; you say go slow, and I fall behind; but if I fall, you'll be waiting and you'll catch me. And you say it again and again. It must be another one of those quantum effects.

If I had a hammer, my schedule for the day would be full.
  #138  
Old 07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Ponder Stibbons's Avatar
Ponder Stibbons Ponder Stibbons is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,913
Criminals often serve too little time and end up back on the streets where they do it again.

If you've never met Napoleon, your life is probably too hectic. Slow down and find the time.

Beware quickie divorces in Haiti. They often don't work out as planned.

If your world falls apart in a minor way, any major dude will tell you it will be OK.

They are some damned odd people who live in Barrytown.
  #139  
Old 07-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Ponder Stibbons's Avatar
Ponder Stibbons Ponder Stibbons is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vevila
The reason why ships disappear in the Bermuda Triangle is because Elvis needs boats.
Well certainly. That's because Elvis is everywhere. In fact, Elvis is everything and everybody. He is still The King.
  #140  
Old 07-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Level3Navigator Level3Navigator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a state of denial
Posts: 143
When I am on an emotional high, I have a hard time hiding that fact, and I think I am going to pee my pants and I think I might enjoy doing so.
  #141  
Old 07-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Faruiza Faruiza is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 1,547
I came in here to tell you all that this thread is making me gleeful,
But first I gotta bang bang the boogie to the boogie
Say up jump the boogie to the bang bang boogie...

  #142  
Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Ponder Stibbons's Avatar
Ponder Stibbons Ponder Stibbons is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,913
In the event of a nuclear war or other apocalyptic event, a wooden ship provides a good getaway.

If you have a junkie in your band, no matter how much you love the man, it'll cause the band to break up.

If old men would only look at themselves, they'd see they're a lot like those young punks they so often complain about.
  #143  
Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Talon Karrde Talon Karrde is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Obamasville, Minnesota
Posts: 2,115
Vancouver doesn't need the kind of law and order that tends to keep a good man underground. Sounds like my kind of town.

We're the fishes and all we do is the move about.

Stay away from Rockville. The people don't talk to anyone they don't know and you'll end up working in a factory.

The price of medicine is sick, sick.
  #144  
Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Ludovic Ludovic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 28,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon Karrde
We're the fishes and all we do is the move about.
An ideal way to waste the time in a day so dark, so warm, is dominoes.

SPOILER:
The tiger ate the elephant.
  #145  
Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Zeldar Zeldar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 24,290
In case you're stumped for a rhyme in your songwriting efforts, try one of these which apprently will rhyme with anything:

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Wo-o-ooh
Baby
Lord
Child
Mmmm-mmm-mmm
Owwww
No-No-No
C'mon c'mon c'mon
La-la-la-la-la

And if you have trouble pronouncing some of the words, just mumble or scream. After all, if anybody really wants to know what you're saying they'll read the goddamn liner notes or look up the lyrics online.
  #146  
Old 07-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 Lemur866 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,239
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby.
Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids.
Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose.
What's the use in tryin'? All you get is pain.
  #147  
Old 07-19-2006, 08:09 PM
SpectBrain SpectBrain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Midlands
Posts: 645
Not too bad, actually.

When asked "How does it feel...to be thick as a brick?"
  #148  
Old 07-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Sam Stone Sam Stone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 27,341
If you're making love in the afternoon, get up to wash your face, and when you come back someone has taken your place, this could shake your confidence.

Especially if it happens daily.
  #149  
Old 07-19-2006, 08:43 PM
11811 11811 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse
And it bites.
It bleeds.
It'll bring you to your knees.
According to Phil and Don (and later Gram and Emmylou)
It will cause you a thermal injury like an operative kitchen appliance.
It's only a falsehood intended to give you an indigo hue.
  #150  
Old 07-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Cat Whisperer Cat Whisperer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 49,084
Don't bother fighting the law - it always wins.

Maybe Bono isn't finding what he's looking for because he's looking where there are no street names. Just some of his mysterious ways, I guess, like his running to stand still and his pride. Silly Bono.

(Love is also blindness.)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017