Old 06-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Y'all seen the new Volkswagen commercial?

Now THAT's how you sell shit.

https://youtu.be/qEvNL6oEr0U

Nicely done... bravo.

I bought a 1996 Jetta brand new... my first new car. Best and worst car I ever owned. A money pit from the jump, but I loved her anyway. Every time I shelled out another few hundred bucks to fix whatever broke that week, I'd convince myself, again, that nothing else could possibly go wrong. It was like being in some kind of weird dysfuntional relationship.

I finally had to break up with my once beloved Fršulein after 5 tortured years. I'd fallen in love with a new lady... a boring, yet satisfyingly reliable Japanese sweetheart named Toyota, and eventually her more refined sister Lexus, with whom I remain intimate to this very day.

But hell if that new VW commercial ain't stirring some found memories of an old German flame. Wonder if she's on Facebook?

Last edited by Stuntman Mike; 06-13-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 PM

Interesting that they are trying to benifit from their cheating by spinning it as a redemption story. And they don't even say wherther or not the new model has farfignewton.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure people will gripe about another commercial using the Sounds of Silence, but yeah, it's a solid spot. It also can be edited down to a shorter spot that omits the reference to the scandal so it's economical too.

An all-electric VW Bus will probably sell like hotcakes, with or without the snappy ad. Hope it retains the futuristic styling though.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Politely disagree. I think it's a stupid spot, mostly for Darren Garrison's reasons. And I'm adding my grip about the Sounds of Silence.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

To me, this was making lemonade out of lemons. The ad itself wasn't bad, but when I first saw it live I couldn't get past the first 10-15 seconds reminding me that as a company they did awful things. The electric bus is cute, but it's now forever cemented in my mind as a redemption offering for the diesel scandal.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The electric bus is cute, but it's now forever cemented in my mind as a redemption offering for the diesel scandal.
Maybe....but isn't that what you want? A company being punished and then changing it's behavior?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Maybe....but isn't that what you want? A company being punished and then changing it's behavior?
Sure. Not that I believe this new vehicle actually reflects that or that VW wouldn't pull another scam in a moment if they knew they could get away with it.

This doesn't feel like any sort of sincere repentance but rather like your kid giving lip service to the fact that they upset you before asking for a ride to the mall and $20 spending money.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Sure. Not that I believe ... that VW wouldn't pull another scam in a moment if they knew they could get away with it.
If they even thought they could get away with it.

This commercial does nothing for me, if for no other reason (and there are other reasons) than that I hate being teased.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:18 AM
Soy un pinche idiota
Charter Member

As an owner of both a non-cheater and later a cheater TDI*; I have to admit that even though I feel pretty burned by the company, I'm attracted by the electric van. It's got enough range that an absent minded idjit like myself can use it as a daily driver, it can carry all my band's crap in a pinch, and it has a nationwide dealer support network. If it has modern VW quality interior, I could be actually motivated into buying one when my current daily driver will probably wear out in about 4 years.

*And we were deprived of the buyout on the cheater by a wreck that happened in the (IIRC) month and a half that if you lost title to your car for whatever reason, you were SOL, no money for you. So, VW has to really make me like this vehicle to get me to buy another one from them -- no matter how much history we have with them beyond the TDIs.

Last edited by scabpicker; 06-15-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:20 AM

Wake up old hippies, it's the return of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Yes, I saw it and I thought it was great. I have always said that everyone makes mistakes... people and companies... it is how they respond to them and/or correct them that tells me their true worth. I would love to see more details on the new bus.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:13 AM

Volkswagen only proved that even after all the many, many lawsuits they still have enough money to hire a decent advertising firm.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Will people have patience to sit through that? I watched about 45 seconds and gave up and left not knowing what the point was.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
The electric bus is cute, but it's now forever cemented in my mind as a redemption offering for the diesel scandal.
Of course that's not the only reason they're introducing an electric bus. All of the auto manufacturers are introducing hybrid and fully electric vehicles (and later autonomous vehicles). The massive cost of these changes is why Fiat sought to merge with Renault.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:46 AM

Well it was enough to make me find a 30 minute show that went into great detail on the ID series from VW. If they deliver what they say by 2025 I'll probably have one in my garage.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike View Post
Now THAT's how you sell shit.

https://youtu.be/qEvNL6oEr0U

Nicely done... bravo.

I bought a 1996 Jetta brand new... my first new car. Best and worst car I ever owned. A money pit from the jump, but I loved her anyway. Every time I shelled out another few hundred bucks to fix whatever broke that week, I'd convince myself, again, that nothing else could possibly go wrong. It was like being in some kind of weird dysfuntional relationship.

I finally had to break up with my once beloved Fršulein after 5 tortured years. I'd fallen in love with a new lady... a boring, yet satisfyingly reliable Japanese sweetheart named Toyota, and eventually her more refined sister Lexus, with whom I remain intimate to this very day.

But hell if that new VW commercial ain't stirring some found memories of an old German flame. Wonder if she's on Facebook?
My first new car was a 1995 Jetta, and I echo everything you said above. The funniest part is that when my wife and I were driving home from the dealership, Car Talk came on, a woman called in with a Jetta question, and the brothers could not stop laughing. But did I love that car? Yes.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Will people have patience to sit through that? I watched about 45 seconds and gave up and left not knowing what the point was.
"We made a new car, please buy it"
Old 06-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Of course that's not the only reason they're introducing an electric bus. All of the auto manufacturers are introducing hybrid and fully electric vehicles (and later autonomous vehicles). The massive cost of these changes is why Fiat sought to merge with Renault.
Of course, if Volkswagen puts a hybrid on the market I bet if you took off the cowling for the batteries you'd find a small diesel engine.

But, I somewhat sympathize with the OP. Way back when there was a time my sister had a Jetta. Fun little five speed stick shift. Piece of crap though, even though she bought it new. Random crap went wrong with that thing after just a couple of years. I don't remember it all, but I do remember having to use my hands on each side of the glass to get the driver's side window to roll up.

Anyway, I think I'll stick with my Tacoma.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Wake up old hippies, it's the return of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.
nit pick: That was an old school bus, not a VW.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Does this mean you'll finally get a VW Camper and not need a rolodex full of repair shops and mechanics when you go on a long trip?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Does this mean you'll finally get a VW Camper and not need a rolodex full of repair shops and mechanics when you go on a long trip?
That's not a Bug, that's the future.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:15 PM

No matter how they spin it the truth is this: VW’s introduction of electric vehicles is driven by their settlement with the government. They’re not doing this because they want to, they’re doing it because they have to. I have a hard time getting excited over this.

As far as I’m concerned if VW wants me to own one of their products they need to pay me. And that sticker has a pretty large price on it.

*Yes, I am a former owner of a cheater VW. Why do you ask?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Anyone curious to see insides of the concept microbus and to see it in action, can check the review from the Fully Charged Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQut6ks3nSY
Old 06-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Yes, I saw it and I thought it was great. I have always said that everyone makes mistakes... people and companies... it is how they respond to them and/or correct them that tells me their true worth. I would love to see more details on the new bus.
Is that what Volkswagen did? They "made a mistake"?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Is that what Volkswagen did? They "made a mistake"?
Sure did. They got caught.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Anyone curious to see insides of the concept microbus and to see it in action, can check the review from the Fully Charged Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQut6ks3nSY
I just watched part of it. You'll notice the absence of side-view and rear-view mirrors. Instead, there are rear-facing cameras on the sides, and a display screen instead of a rear-view mirror.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

OK, so they can't cheat on the emissions tests any more. What else can they still cheat on? Range measurements? Safety standards? Was there enough turnover in the upper eschelons of the company to be confident that they've gotten rid of the culture of cheating?

And I find it slightly disturbing that the guy we're watching work late nights is (apparently) a concept artist, not an engineer. That tells me that they prioritize making the vehicle look good over making it work well. And after all those long hours, the best he can come up with is to reuse a fifty-year-old design?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Also, it it really the best idea to use a song that brings to mind a couple of people getting on a bus and immediately begining to regret their decision?
Old 06-15-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I just watched part of it. You'll notice the absence of side-view and rear-view mirrors. Instead, there are rear-facing cameras on the sides, and a display screen instead of a rear-view mirror.
The clip I watched specifically mentioned that and said that this is a concept vehicle and a production version would have mirrors. I assume this is due to some laws that haven't been adjusted for the current technology.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
That's not a Bug, that's the future.
Bravo.

I'm a fan of the brand so I watched it. Twice.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 PM

Iím a VW fan, own a Ď07 Rabbit 2 door manual, and a Ď12 Golf TDI DSG, Iím one of the few that was never bothered by the emissions ďscandalĒ as Iím already familiar with the foibles of diesel, as I own an antique Kubota G5200 garden tractor, itís easily 25+ years old and starts reliably every time and has seen many hours of use, mowing the lawn (a 2 hour job), plowing the driveway in the winter, towing a garden cart for many uses.

The old Kubota will belch smoke when itís started or momentarily under heavy loads, but overall itís clean, doesnít smoke, and this is a small 3 cylinder naturally aspirated engine.

I got the TDI because I liked the way it drove, and got great gas mileage as a side bonus, itís emissions are even cleaner than the old antique Kubota

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rtCdSaLtFnhE5W9c9
(My little diesel family)

I like the basic concept of the ID Buzz, but here in New England, our brutal winter makes battery electric vehicles a tad less practical, batteries lose a noticeable amount of range in freezing weather, that said, itíd make a nice companion to the TDI...
Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 PM

They’ve switched from scamming the govt to scamming customers like Musk does. No way that range holds up in real driving conditions.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Theyíve switched from scamming the govt to scamming customers like Musk does. No way that range holds up in real driving conditions.
You do realize that it is at least 4 years before these come to production so there is no way of knowing if what your are saying is true or not.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
The clip I watched specifically mentioned that and said that this is a concept vehicle and a production version would have mirrors. I assume this is due to some laws that haven't been adjusted for the current technology.
I get that this concept car includes some technology that isn't ready for prime time. The video I saw mentioned that in autonomous mode, the steering wheel would retract to be flush with the instrument panel and obviously we're not there yet. I understand that some auto manufacturers have proposed that side view mirrors be replaced by cameras, with drag being reduced by two to seven percent.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You do realize that it is at least 4 years before these come to production so there is no way of knowing if what your are saying is true or not.
I also have to also say to WillFarnaby that people saying: ďIt canít be done,Ē are always being interrupted by somebody doing it. - (From Puck Magazine in 1903)

I'm aware of how deservedly VW is behind the 8 ball for the recent scandal, but if that made them become a car company with practical solutions regarding emissions, then it is like politics: You never want a serious crisis to go to waste, and the result should be welcomed because the new EVs will be a part of the solution to the global warming issue.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
nit pick: That was an old school bus, not a VW.

And the acid the took didn't come in batteries.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

And I can believe that an electric van could have a significantly longer range than an electric car. There's a lot more space in a van to fit in batteries. Obviously the range they're touting is under ideal circumstances (warm weather, level ground, low but steady speed), but then, that's true of the range anyone else touts, too.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 AM

Is there any kind of release date for this, or is it just a concept car to get us to talk about something other than their crimes? Who could have guessed anything that came out of Nazi Germany could have a dark side?

Last edited by madmonk28; 06-16-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

It's scheduled to be available in 2022.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:18 AM

When I initially saw this commercial, at the end, when they show the "face" of the bus, I thought it was backing-up toward the camera and that was the rear-end. Going backward, not forward.