Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 01-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Hamlet Hamlet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Where the Wild Things Are
Posts: 14,160
No matter what actually happens, Trump will claim victory, and the Republican base will believe him. It could be fencing, with 2 pounds of concrete at one spot and he'll claim victory. It could be he gets .5% of the total cost of the wall and he'll claim victory. It could be a bedsheets with "Wal" written on it, and he'll claim victory. And the base will believe him.

Last edited by Hamlet; 01-08-2019 at 05:02 PM.
  #152  
Old 01-08-2019, 05:14 PM
jasg jasg is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 5,712
Just read a fascinating bit on Twitter

Quote:
"Fully 41% of the border - about 620 miles - is within the TX congressional district of one person: Rep. Will Hurd.
Who doesn’t want a wall."
  #153  
Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Huh, I didn't think they were dumb enough to actually put it in writing.
Oh yeah, and at the same time try to claim: "What long wall? That's just crazy talk!"
Any red hatted moron at a Trump rally envisioned a pink floyd wall stretching from sea to shining gulf. And at one point it got 10 feet higher, and orange lie boy lied about Mexico funding the atrocity. They ate that shit up, and now try to deny it.
  #154  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 15,301
I keep hearing that illegal immigration, in the form of people sneaking across the border, is a problem. I need more than that. The Rs told us over and over and over that cutting taxes improves the economy, and though the evidence does not support their claim, they keep repeating it. They claim to be for fiscal responsibility while being the party that consistently increases the red ink. They claim to be morally superior and repeatedly prove that they are not.

They are the party of repeat the lie repeatedly until people believe it because that is all the people hear, over and over again. So, I ask again, is there an actual serious problem that a wall would address? Because, based on their history of record bullshit, I have real doubts about the validity of that narrative.
  #155  
Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I keep hearing that illegal immigration, in the form of people sneaking across the border, is a problem. I need more than that. ...
I told you previously

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I suppose that depends on how you define "actual". ...
Do you think people ignoring our immigration laws and entering the country without authorization or vetting is a problem? I do, but given your political persuasion, perhaps you don't see that as a problem?
  #156  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 37,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Do you think people ignoring our immigration laws and entering the country without authorization or vetting is a problem? I do, but given your political persuasion, perhaps you don't see that as a problem?
How big a problem kinda depends on the numbers involved, doesn't it?

If three Mexicans a day enter the U.S. without authorization by crossing our southern border on foot, that's a thousand a year. Nobody will even notice them. If 3000 Mexicans a day do that, that's a million a year, and yeah, that would be a bit of a problem.

However, all evidence is that the number of undocumented persons living in the U.S. has steadily declined over the past decade. The flow of unauthorized immigrants into the U.S. is negative. I'm gonna say, that's the antithesis of a problem.

Moreover, the typical undocumented person is someone who entered the U.S. legally but overstayed his/her visa, rather than someone who crossed the border on foot in the desert somewhere. More wall wouldn't help with that anyway.
  #157  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:15 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Oh yeah, and at the same time try to claim: "What long wall? That's just crazy talk!"
Any red hatted moron at a Trump rally envisioned a pink floyd wall stretching from sea to shining gulf. And at one point it got 10 feet higher, and orange lie boy lied about Mexico funding the atrocity. They ate that shit up, and now try to deny it.
I'm not "trying to deny it", but I don't think it's the topic of the current thread (titled "The five billion dollar wall") or the source of the shutdown impasse. President Trump has requested $5B in this budget to "build primary wall or physical barriers in the areas of greatest need" (from a presentation the White House sent to congress four days ago). That's not "a 2000 mile wall" like some here are pretending.
  #158  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:15 PM
The Tooth The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,450
If illegal immigration caused problems Trump wouldn't be telling lies about leprosy and smallpox and thousands of terrorists being stopped at the border. The right's claims that a wall is necessary are not fact-based, and can be dismissed.
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #159  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:21 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 38,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post


Do you think people ignoring our immigration laws and entering the country without authorization or vetting is a problem? I do, but given your political persuasion, perhaps you don't see that as a problem?
Well, being as they are coming here to work, and mow our lawns and pick our strawberries and clean our houses- they dont seem to be a problem.

I suppose a terrorist could sneak in, but why not just fly in with a visa, like they did last time?
  #160  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I'm not "trying to deny it", but I don't think it's the topic of the current thread (titled "The five billion dollar wall") or the source of the shutdown impasse. President Trump has requested $5B in this budget to "build primary wall or physical barriers in the areas of greatest need" (from a presentation the White House sent to congress four days ago). That's not "a 2000 mile wall" like some here are pretending.
What I understood was that that 5 billion is just the first payment,

https://www.brookings.edu/essay/the-...es-and-mexico/
Quote:
Trump claimed that the wall would cost only $12 billion, a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) internal report in February put the cost at $21.6 billion, but that may be a major underestimate.
Quote:
*The above figures show the upper estimate when a range was suggested. Costs do not include annual maintenance.
As always, the number of lies that Trump uses toward his goal are bottomless.
  #161  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 PM
SamuelA SamuelA is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
How big a problem kinda depends on the numbers involved, doesn't it?

If three Mexicans a day enter the U.S. without authorization by crossing our southern border on foot, that's a thousand a year. Nobody will even notice them. If 3000 Mexicans a day do that, that's a million a year, and yeah, that would be a bit of a problem.
Apparently the real number is about 2000 arrested a day, and some additional number snuck through. Your estimate of "3000 Mexicans a day" is probably not as far off as you think, ~10 million illegal immigrants total got in somehow. Though of course they aren't all Mexicans, plenty of central american countries are much worse than Mexico.

I don't think the wall is effective either, but the numbers are large and it is a problem. It's just the wrong solution. The solution is to stop the jobs going to illegal immigrants. They would leave on their own (well, probably turn themselves in and ask for transport) if they couldn't easily get a job and be paid to live in America far more than they could earn in their home countries.

Also fixing the job problem would be far more effective than a wall. Even if a wall stopped a million immigrants a year, if you could knock out 5 million jobs for illegals the first year, you've cut the problem in half. Your problem would quickly become funding for getting them back to their home countries and a humanitarian crisis for their families and children in the U.S. they can no longer support.

Last edited by SamuelA; 01-08-2019 at 08:42 PM.
  #162  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Stranger On A Train Stranger On A Train is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manor Farm
Posts: 18,905
Is there some real utility in continuing to respond to HurricaneDitka?

Stranger
  #163  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I'm not "trying to deny it", but I don't think it's the topic of the current thread (titled "The five billion dollar wall") or the source of the shutdown impasse. President Trump has requested $5B in this budget to "build primary wall or physical barriers in the areas of greatest need" (from a presentation the White House sent to congress four days ago). That's not "a 2000 mile wall" like some here are pretending.
What are the areas of greatest need? What's there right now? How will the wall help in those areas?

See, the problem is you want us to pretend like he hasn't been talking about "a wall" or "the wall" for the last 3 years, but we have eyes and earballs. He wanted $25B for the wall, singular, and was even going to get that in exchange for DACA in February but womp womp. Even at the beginning of December he was still asking for $25B, except he was phrasing it as a "border security package which included a wall." Still singular, wall. In fact, Trump has never talked about "walls" plural, even in the dozen or so times since the shutdown was imminent and he dropped his demand down to $5.6B.

Sorry HD, I'm not buying it. Trump wants a big beautiful wall along the entire border like he's claimed all along, and $5.6B is just going to be the start of the project. He will always want more because Hannity will always tell him he wants more. The good news is that he could clear this all up real easily by releasing a detailed plan of where these "areas of greatest need" are, why the $25B he was previously asking for is no longer necessary, how the areas of greatest need would benefit from a wall, whose land he's going to have to take to build it there, and why someone with a portable oxyacetylene torch wouldn't just make quick work of a few of the steel slats and cause constant financial and security headache. I'm sure that's what tonight's 8 minute oval office address is going to include, right?
  #164  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 25,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
If we were to poll Border Patrol agents about their thoughts on physical barriers along the southern border, what do you imagine we'd find?
If we asked them their opinions on Latinos, what do you think we'd find?
  #165  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 25,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
.....but lucky for us, the Border Patrol agents have chimed in on the matter: Border Patrol agents overwhelmingly support Trump's wall in new survey.
By the way, did you read the question asked in that survey? Arguably, the question asked represents the actual facts on the ground at this moment.
  #166  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:39 PM
The Tooth The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,450
So! Did that speech scare anyone into supporting Trump's monument to his own racism?
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #167  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Railer13 Railer13 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
By the way, did you read the question asked in that survey? Arguably, the question asked represents the actual facts on the ground at this moment.
Yeah, according to the article

Quote:
A stunning 89 percent of line agents say a “wall system in strategic locations is necessary to securing the border.”
No shit? Considering that about 25% of the border already has a physical barrier of some sort, color me shocked that 89% of the respondents agree with an existing strategy.
  #168  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
If we asked them their opinions on Latinos, what do you think we'd find?
I don't know, nor do I see how it's relevant to a discussion about the $5B "wall". You complained earlier that my source for 'walls work' wasn't a real BP agent. If we use real BP agents as a source, then your complaint is ... what? That you imagine they're racist?
  #169  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 25,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I don't know, nor do I see how it's relevant to a discussion about the $5B "wall". You complained earlier that my source for 'walls work' wasn't a real BP agent. If we use real BP agents as a source, then your complaint is ... what? That you imagine they're racist?
Let me put this a different way.

You’ve said many times on this board that you hold a degree of distrust for police. I don’t recall the specific reason for distrust, but I think I get where you’re comjng from, in that the measure of success for police can sometimes boil down to how many people they arrest, rather than the larger and more difficult question of whether they have served justice.

So if I reported to you that 89% of police support some law enforcement technique, do you feel obligated to support that technique? Or would you stop to consider whether the response is reflective of a bias that may be widespread within that profession?
  #170  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,246
I thought the discussion of the $5 billion "wall" was pretty much completed - it's a stupid idea based on a crazy promise repeated by a con artist and bought into by rubes.
  #171  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,429
Quote:
...If we use real BP agents as a source, then your complaint is ... what? That you imagine they're racist?
(extra dots because that's what the smart people do, they're called eclipses.)

Direct contact does not necessarily impart expertise. The average grunt on D-Day could not meaningfully discuss the logistics of Omaha Beach. And you need to allow for more range of choice than "no problemo" and zombie apocalypse.

Heard his campaign speech tonight, happy to report a nothingburger. Thanks, Universe!

Last edited by elucidator; 01-08-2019 at 10:47 PM.
  #172  
Old 01-08-2019, 10:53 PM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 38,672
Look, there is a big difference between what we have now- which is primarily a fence system designed for drug interdiction, and which could indeed use some most money to improve and maintain- and Trump's idea of a "wall" which would be a useless waste of money, and whose primary function is racism.

The Dems have supported the first kind, they even agreed to it. And yes, that sort of fence system does also act to slow illegal immigration.

We are not asking for open borders. Slowing the flow of illegal drugs is a laudable idea.
  #173  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:49 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal eschereal is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 15,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Is there some real utility in continuing to respond to HurricaneDitka?

Stranger
Are you saying you feel as though people are talking to a ... um ...
  #174  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:59 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
... So if I reported to you that 89% of police support some law enforcement technique, do you feel obligated to support that technique? ...
No, but I wouldn't make one of my main points of criticism that the non-LEO proponent didn't have enough real police experience, which is analogous to where you (and steronz) went awry.
  #175  
Old 01-08-2019, 11:59 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
So! Did that speech scare anyone into supporting Trump's monument to his own racism?
The purpose of that speech wasn't to sway minds. The purpose of that speech was to raise funds for his reelection campaign.
Before the speech the President's people sent out a letter to his campaign supporters saying that he desperately needed their monetary support within the next few hours for the purpose of The Wall, then right after the speech another letter went out to those that didn't chip in. The money gathered actually went to his reelection campaign.

Two links.
  #176  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 AM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Look, there is a big difference between what we have now- which is primarily a fence system designed for drug interdiction, and which could indeed use some most money to improve and maintain- and Trump's idea of a "wall" which would be a useless waste of money, and whose primary function is racism.

The Dems have supported the first kind, they even agreed to it. And yes, that sort of fence system does also act to slow illegal immigration.

We are not asking for open borders. Slowing the flow of illegal drugs is a laudable idea.
Two questions:

1) Do you think that slowing the flow of illegal aliens would also be a laudable idea?

2) Is it fair to say that you disagree with Pelosi's statement that "a wall is an immorality"?
  #177  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:12 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Two questions:

1) Do you think that slowing the flow of illegal aliens would also be a laudable idea?

2) Is it fair to say that you disagree with Pelosi's statement that "a wall is an immorality"?
1) Slowing the flow of illegal aliens would be a laudable idea. Will a 1600 mile wall do that? Is it cost effective? If you say it is, what proof do you have of that idea?

2) I disagree that the "wall is an immorality"
  #178  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 AM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 38,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Two questions:

1) Do you think that slowing the flow of illegal aliens would also be a laudable idea?

2) Is it fair to say that you disagree with Pelosi's statement that "a wall is an immorality"?
Not really. I like having cheap produce. But if it also slows drugs, then I am Ok with it.

The wall, from sea to sea- as promulgated by Trump, is indeed a immoral idea. It would be a giant waste of taxpayer funds and a ecological nightmare and is only there to fuel racist hatreds= immoral idea. That is what Pelosi was talking about. Not just your backyard fence, or what we already have. The Wall. Context, dude, context. jesusfuckingkeeerist.
  #179  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 AM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,429
Not to worry, when the bees are all dead, there won't be any need for immigrant farm labor!

Last edited by elucidator; 01-09-2019 at 01:36 AM.
  #180  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:40 AM
DrDeth DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 38,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Not to worry, when the bees are all dead, there won't be any need for immigrant farm labor!
Well, then we could encourage more with Jonathans Swifts proposal. The Term "Mexican Food" would have a whole new meaning.
  #181  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:46 AM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,429
At the Democrats request, Trump has agreed to build the wall out of California redwoods.
  #182  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,886
Trump made this wall a symbol of the hatred and bigotry he spewed during the campaign, and inextricably linked to that is all the hatred and bigotry he spewed in the years before as well as since becoming president. As such, the Democrats will continue to oppose it. Trump rose to prominence on spreading an evidence-free racist conspiracy theory, and then on racist comments about Mexicans, along with the wall, and wall has become a symbol of all of that -- both for his supporters and his detractors. There's no way the party that prides itself on diversity and opposing bigotry could ever go along with such a symbol.
  #183  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,624
HurricaneDitka, you seem to only post in these threads to snipe at points you think you'll win. But this is great debates, so let's ask, do you think the US should spend $25B+ in taxpayer dollars for a 1000+ mile wall along the southern border?
  #184  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:09 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
HurricaneDitka, you seem to only post in these threads to snipe at points you think you'll win. ...
I guess that's the closest we'll get to a concession that you did indeed go awry with your complaint about border security experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
... But this is great debates, so let's ask, do you think the US should spend $25B+ in taxpayer dollars for a 1000+ mile wall along the southern border?
In a word, "no", it wouldn't be my first choice. It's also a LONG ways down my list of things that I think the US should not spend taxpayer dollars for. Generally, I would like to see border security be more of a priority for the federal government than it has been previously. I'm not rigidly stuck on the idea that that has to mean a 30-foot concrete wall along every inch of the southern border (and neither is President Trump apparently). Walls probably make sense in some sections. Fences or vehicle impediments and other surveillance means in other parts. I don't think there's anything "immoral" about physical barriers as part of our border security strategy.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 01-09-2019 at 04:10 PM.
  #185  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,409
Who said some physical barriers as part of our overall border security strategy is immoral? Because that's exactly what we already have now. Pelosi said Trump's wall, which is the one he's been promising you guys that will cover the entire border, that Mexico will pay for, is immoral. It is. It would be devastating to the environment in many areas along the border. It will ruin the habitat for many species that live in that area. It's also racist. And would cost an insane amount of money that we could be using to, I don't know, help our most vulnerable citizens? Not a moral use of taxpayer money.

Sounds like you don't even want Trump's wall so why the hell are you defending him on this? Just force of habit? Refusal to agree with the libs on anything?
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by Airbeck; 01-09-2019 at 04:22 PM.
  #186  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 25,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I guess that's the closest we'll get to a concession that you did indeed go awry with your complaint about border security experience.



In a word, "no", it wouldn't be my first choice. It's also a LONG ways down my list of things that I think the US should not spend taxpayer dollars for. Generally, I would like to see border security be more of a priority for the federal government than it has been previously. I'm not rigidly stuck on the idea that that has to mean a 30-foot concrete wall along every inch of the southern border (and neither is President Trump apparently). Walls probably make sense in some sections. Fences or vehicle impediments and other surveillance means in other parts. I don't think there's anything "immoral" about physical barriers as part of our border security strategy.
Why do you spend so much time on pedantic nitpicking of arguments against the wall, when you just said that you agree with the Democratic position?

It's an honest question.
  #187  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:25 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
In a word, "no", it wouldn't be my first choice. It's also a LONG ways down my list of things that I think the US should not spend taxpayer dollars for. Generally, I would like to see border security be more of a priority for the federal government than it has been previously. I'm not rigidly stuck on the idea that that has to mean a 30-foot concrete wall along every inch of the southern border (and neither is President Trump apparently). Walls probably make sense in some sections. Fences or vehicle impediments and other surveillance means in other parts. I don't think there's anything "immoral" about physical barriers as part of our border security strategy.
It seems to me, then, that your only interest in politics is "owning the libs". I've seen this in other conservatives I've talked to about this shutdown. They seem to grock that shutdowns cost money, and that this shutdown is basically just lighting taxpayer dollars on fire. They also don't seem to be fans of the wall, at least not ones they have to pay for. Yet they continue to bring up nonsense like the Secure Fence Act and how maybe it makes Democrats look like hypocrites. Why? Why bother fighting on this one? Is wasting your tax dollars really worth scoring whatever internet points you might be trying to win? Just call Trump an idiot, join with those putting pressure on him to drop this wall nonsense, and we can get on with arguing about guns or whatever.

Last edited by steronz; 01-09-2019 at 04:26 PM.
  #188  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,409
It's a pathology. They have been trained that they must never ever agree with the libs on anything, and never ever stop fighting.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #189  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:17 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Why do you spend so much time on pedantic nitpicking of arguments against the wall, when you just said that you agree with the Democratic position?

It's an honest question.
AFAICT, I don't agree with the Democratic position. Pelosi said "a wall is an immorality" (I disagree) and it appears that they are fervently opposed to funding new physical barriers on the southern border (I disagree again). Have I misunderstood "the Democratic position"?
  #190  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
AFAICT, I don't agree with the Democratic position. Pelosi said "a wall is an immorality" (I disagree) and it appears that they are fervently opposed to funding new physical barriers on the southern border (I disagree again). Have I misunderstood "the Democratic position"?
Yes, you've misunderstood the Democratic position, but many people have explained it to you and so if you're claiming now to actually want to learn about "the other side," well, color me skeptical. Your behavior suggests that you're not actually interested in learning.
  #191  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:24 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
It seems to me, then, that your only interest in politics is "owning the libs". I've seen this in other conservatives I've talked to about this shutdown. ...
You are mistaken. My fundamental interest in politics is to see my preferred policies enacted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
... They seem to grock that shutdowns cost money, and that this shutdown is basically just lighting taxpayer dollars on fire. They also don't seem to be fans of the wall, at least not ones they have to pay for. Yet they continue to bring up nonsense like the Secure Fence Act and how maybe it makes Democrats look like hypocrites. Why? Why bother fighting on this one? Is wasting your tax dollars really worth scoring whatever internet points you might be trying to win? Just call Trump an idiot, join with those putting pressure on him to drop this wall nonsense, and we can get on with arguing about guns or whatever.
"The wall" (a full-border-length 2000-mile stretch of concrete wall) is not what this shutdown is about. It's about $5B. That's going to buy a bit more wall / fencing / physical barriers than we have today. Somehow, that seems wildly racist / immoral to a good number of leftists. That's also a position I do not agree with.
  #192  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
AFAICT, I don't agree with the Democratic position. Pelosi said "a wall is an immorality" (I disagree) and it appears that they are fervently opposed to funding new physical barriers on the southern border (I disagree again). Have I misunderstood "the Democratic position"?
Maybe the official Democratic position consists of more that that "a wall is a immorality" phrase you have jerked out of context and sunk your teeth into in a desperate attempt to not agree with Democrats at any cost? I'm pretty sure they have an official website where they spell out their official position on The Wall-have you tried going there?
  #193  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
It's a pathology. They have been trained that they must never ever agree with the libs on anything, and never ever stop fighting.
You're wrong too. There are some things I agree with liberals on. "A wall is an immorality" is just not one of them.
  #194  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Maybe the official Democratic position consists of more that that "a wall is a immorality" phrase you have jerked out of context and sunk your teeth into in a desperate attempt to not agree with Democrats at any cost? I'm pretty sure they have an official website where they spell out their official position on The Wall-have you tried going there?
Is this a reference to their party platform or something else?
  #195  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
"The wall" (a full-border-length 2000-mile stretch of concrete wall) is not what this shutdown is about. It's about $5B. That's going to buy a bit more wall / fencing / physical barriers than we have today.
Patent nonsense. If it were about reasonable border security measures, congressional Republicans would have given the money to Trump rather than shut down the government. This charitable interpretation of the situation is at odds with reality, and anyone who's been paying attention for the last 3 years knows it.
  #196  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
"The wall" (a full-border-length 2000-mile stretch of concrete wall) is not what this shutdown is about. It's about $5B. That's going to buy a bit more wall / fencing / physical barriers than we have today. Somehow, that seems wildly racist / immoral to a good number of leftists. That's also a position I do not agree with.
Where the hell has Trump outlined exactly what he wants the money for, beside for building The Wall? Your personal opinion as to what you think it should be spent for doesn't even figure into this equation.
  #197  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:33 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
...
"The wall" (a full-border-length 2000-mile stretch of concrete wall) is not what this shutdown is about. It's about $5B. ....
It is the ONLY thing Trump shut the government down for. For example, take your idea of the wall, border security, what have you. Now have Trump endorse that plan. (A wall unlike what he campaigned on.)
  #198  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:34 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Where the hell has Trump outlined exactly what he wants the money for, beside for building The Wall? Your personal opinion as to what you think it should be spent for doesn't even figure into this equation.
I don't know about the word "exactly", but I did a pretty good job of answering this already. Just scroll up the page to post #157:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
... President Trump has requested $5B in this budget to "build primary wall or physical barriers in the areas of greatest need" (from a presentation the White House sent to congress four days ago). That's not "a 2000 mile wall" like some here are pretending.
  #199  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:35 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It is the ONLY thing Trump shut the government down for. For example, take your idea of the wall, border security, what have you. Now have Trump endorse that plan. (A wall unlike what he campaigned on.)
He already has (endorsed a plan different than he campaigned on). Did you miss all the "steel slats" discussion?
  #200  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,624
His "plan" for physical barriers amounts to one sentence. Do I understand that correctly?

eta: One sentence and a tweet of a picture, my bad.

Last edited by steronz; 01-09-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017