Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 PM
MrKnowItAll's Avatar
MrKnowItAll MrKnowItAll is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,633
Simple. No creation myth.
__________________
In this way Mr. K will challenge the world!
  #52  
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,749
Why would there be a need to disprove something that doesn't exist?
  #53  
Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Its possible, but religion is negatively correlated with wealth, education and intelligence.

The kinds of people who live in societies where people are wealthy and stable enough to celebrate christmas are probably more prone to secularism to begin with.
It don't take a lot of folding green to celebrate christmas. It just takes it to celebrate well. Where "well" is defined as "secularly".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I think one reason santa isn't believed is we know santa isn't real. If your parents don't put presents under the tree, then the presents don't go there. But you can't prove or disprove god anymore than you can prove or disprove there are giant squids living in the 6th dimension. Theres no way to prove or disprove a deity.
Christian deities are easy to disprove, because the dude has "never lies" built into his definition. There are so many easily disprovable claims made by christianity that I've never met a branch of it that didn't fold like wet paper under all the disproofs.

It's true that you can't disprove all theoretical gods if that includes not defining what a god is - for example I'm a god, and so is my desk fan, and I defy you to prove that either of us don't exist. But the big famous gods that all the fuss is made about, with all the creation myths and spectacular claims? Easy targets. Easier than Santa Claus, actually, because one can always claim that Santa is doing his magic somewhere else where you haven't looked, whereas gods tend to have a lot of fiction on record in established and examinable places.
  #54  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:23 PM
SenorBeef SenorBeef is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 27,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
That's quite a cartoonish caricature of the concept of God and belief in God.
How so? You'll have to actually make a case for me to respond to this.
  #55  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM
EscAlaMike EscAlaMike is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I read assertions such as those as brief summaries of positions, not the whole sum argument for the positions.

I compare it against all the instances where religion isn't having an effect. As I don't live in a cult compound such situations aren't hard to come by. In fact it's possible to compare people with different levels of religious belief and observance and observe different levels of effect - there are some things where a mild amount of religion seems to function as a good thing but cult-level amounts do not, such as its role as an opportunity to meet people and build societal relations.

Oh, and in my area "religion" means Christianity, all flavors. This may vary for others.
I don't disagree with you necessarily, but I guess it depends what you mean by "cult - level".

If we're specifically talking about Christianity; a religion with a definite beginning and historically traceable growth and development, then the question: "Has Christianity made the world better or worse" is a topic that can and should be debated.
  #56  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:04 PM
EscAlaMike EscAlaMike is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
How so? You'll have to actually make a case for me to respond to this.
You said: "You're convinced someone magical is out there. He knows everything you do. He'll reward you if you're good and punish you if you're bad."

I've never heard a Christian philosopher describe God as "magical". God knowing everything that humans do is only a necessary condition of God-ness. Since God must by definition be the ultimate source and sustenance of reality, if a being could be unaware of an event in that reality, than it could not be God.

Similarly, God must by definition be the ultimate source and standard of justice and righteousness. If a being failed to reward good and punish evil, then it would not be just and therefore not God.
  #57  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Mijin's Avatar
Mijin Mijin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 8,672
The OP begins from several dubious premises:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
There was considerable outrage on Facebook over the incident as well - I would guesstimate that about 75% of the several thousand commenters were opposed to the teacher and that relatively few took her side. I can't help but think, though, that a significant number of these posters wouldn't have a problem with someone proclaiming "God does not exist".
If a teacher were to tell his/her infant students that "God does not exist", there absolutely would be considerable outrage and likely a firing.
So even if it made sense to put these two entities in the same bracket, this would be demanding consistency, the opposite of hypocrisy.

Quote:
It's even more incongruous given that the existence of God is debatable whereas Santa obviously does not exist, yet people were getting upset over the latter being declared as fake but not the former.
Firstly from a empirical point of view, they both potentially exist; it is just that no good evidence has been presented. And it makes sense to assume non-existence until such evidence materializes. And that, in an ideal world, would be the end of the debate.

But in terms of proveability, at least Santa just requires new physics to exist. There are gods which are self-contradictory and we are safer assuming don't exist than Santa.

Quote:
AIUI, the major (and perhaps only) difference is because of "the innocence of children." People were largely upset over the teacher telling students that Santa was fake, but wouldn't be upset about adults telling adults that God doesn't exist, because children need holiday innocence preserved but adults do not need religious innocence preserved - something to that effect.
[bolding added]

Yes there is a big difference between what an adult can say to another adult, and what a teacher can say to his/her child pupils.
I am surprised that you are surprised by this. There is considerable scope for creating threads of the type "How come I can say <X> to an adult, but there's outrage when I say it to a group of children that are in my care?"

Last edited by Mijin; 01-09-2019 at 10:56 PM.
  #58  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:57 AM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

I've never heard a Christian philosopher describe God as "magical". God knowing everything that humans do is only a necessary condition of God-ness. Since God must by definition be the ultimate source and sustenance of reality, if a being could be unaware of an event in that reality, than it could not be God.
I'm sure they don't, since that would make the scam too obvious. But Christians 500 years ago believed in magic - otherwise they would not have believed in witches. Is a witch walking on water magical but Jesus walking on water not magical?
If God does miracles, he does magic.
  #59  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 AM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

I think one reason santa isn't believed is we know santa isn't real. If your parents don't put presents under the tree, then the presents don't go there. But you can't prove or disprove god anymore than you can prove or disprove there are giant squids living in the 6th dimension. Theres no way to prove or disprove a deity.
If we were socially committed to Santa, we could say that no presents is for the best, or that the kid was bad and therefore no presents, or the kid didn't pray/wish hard enough. Or that Santa works in mysterious ways.
They all work for God, after all.
You can disprove specific deities, like a tri-omni God, and God could probably prove himself beyond reasonable doubt if he cared to do so. You can't disprove all gods since that is not a well defined set.
  #60  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM
DesertDog DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Here is a map from a couple of years ago showing where Creationism is taught in public and private schools.
Fascinating map. Tennessee and Louisiana make it look like an Ishihara plate.
  #61  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Razncain Razncain is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX & CO
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Here is a map from a couple of years ago showing where Creationism is taught in public and private schools.
This pisses me off. I had no idea this tommyrot was still getting taught and supported with taxpayer money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
None of those examples are about classroom textbooks teaching Creationism and there's no dots on California in the article Czarcasm linked. Still, I must say, I am a little surprised by the extent of it given it would take one angry parent to call the ACLU to get it into court.
True, but Babale's post (#29) does show how teachers can still come up with ways to not teach evolution. And maybe the map needs updating, where it can show some of the things that Babale pointed out.
  #62  
Old 01-10-2019, 09:43 AM
EscAlaMike EscAlaMike is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I'm sure they don't, since that would make the scam too obvious.
Are you suggesting that Christian philosophers/intellectuals are intentionally deceiving people into believing in God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
But Christians 500 years ago believed in magic - otherwise they would not have believed in witches. Is a witch walking on water magical but Jesus walking on water not magical?
You don't believe in witches? Here's photographic evidence that they do in fact exist. I have never heard of a witch walking on water, but maybe you can provide a documented instance of it.

Witchcraft is something that witches have historically practiced, 500 years ago and today.

However, if there exists a non-physical world, it's not too much of a stretch to think that humans might be able to do apparently supernatural or "magical" things with assistance from intelligent beings in the invisible world. If you choose to use the word "magical" to cover anything that falls under the apparently supernatural, then okay.
  #63  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Razncain Razncain is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: TX & CO
Posts: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You don't believe in witches? Here's photographic evidence that they do in fact exist. I have never heard of a witch walking on water, but maybe you can provide a documented instance of it.

Witchcraft is something that witches have historically practiced, 500 years ago and today.
It goes back longer than that, but that's not photographic evidence that they exist. It is evidence that women like to dress up and pretend.

And pah-leese, a witch walking on water or Jesus, it doesn't matter. Seriously, when has gravity or any other laws of nature been suspended, even temporarily, and actually ever been authenticated by any credible source? Nature doesn't work like that, and you don't have to understand Einstein's equation to know this. Magicians duplicate this trick all the time, generally with plexiglass or similar material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
However, if there exists a non-physical world, it's not too much of a stretch to think that humans might be able to do apparently supernatural or "magical" things with assistance from intelligent beings in the invisible world. If you choose to use the word "magical" to cover anything that falls under the apparently supernatural, then okay.
They just as well had call God magical, it's not reality based, but the figment of ones imagination to give him whatever admirable traits their hearts desire.

And of all the gods people had to pick from back then, how in hell this Jehovah/Yahweh/Jesus character got the vote for the most omni-benevolent bad ass, and concluded for them that this was God, beats the Jesus out of me.

Last edited by Razncain; 01-10-2019 at 10:02 AM.
  #64  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM
DLuxN8R-13 DLuxN8R-13 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On fire with the Words..
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Can I ask you about the bolded part?

Why would this bother you so much?
Because it's a case of two ill-raised, snotty older kids ganging up on his daughter to make her sad, while said brats are guests in her home?
  #65  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:40 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,823
While I'm super-excited that this is becoming another "does God exist" thread, I would love for the OP to come back and comment on some of the more on-topic replies if possible.

OP: Is it your position that if the teacher told the class there was no God that there would be less of a shitstorm?
  #66  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Velocity Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
OP: Is it your position that if the teacher told the class there was no God that there would be less of a shitstorm?
Maybe not less of a shitstorm, but I do think such a teacher would get a lot more vocal support on social media - "He's just telling it like it is! They can't take the truth."

Also, I don't mean this thread to be about school kids necessarily. It seems to be much more acceptable to tell adults that God doesn't exist than to tell kids that Santa doesn't exist. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that adults aren't considered emotionally fragile, is that it?
  #67  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 58,841
A teacher doesn't ever have to tell the class "There is no God" to get involved in a shitstorm of misrepresentation and hate.
Quote:
On 27 October 2015, Houston-area television station KHOU reported a West Memorial Junior High School teacher issued an assignment that involved classifying a number of statements as factual claims, commonplace assertions, or opinions. The statement “There is a God” was among the items students were instructed to correctly categorize under one of those three options
and the news had a field day, falsely reporting that students were forced to deny that God exists, that the exercise would be graded(one girl claimed that the teacher put a big "F" on her paper and that the paper would count as 40% of their final grade. The Governor even chimed in and praised the the student that reported the incident.
BTW, the teacher was Christian.
  #68  
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Maybe not less of a shitstorm, but I do think such a teacher would get a lot more vocal support on social media - "He's just telling it like it is! They can't take the truth."

Also, I don't mean this thread to be about school kids necessarily. It seems to be much more acceptable to tell adults that God doesn't exist than to tell kids that Santa doesn't exist. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that adults aren't considered emotionally fragile, is that it?
I think your view is utterly wrong that there would be less pushback about a teacher telling kids that God doesn't exist.

As to your second paragraph, it's generally more acceptable to tell adults controversial things than to tell kids controversial things, so I'm not sure what your point is. There are many things I can say to adults that I can't say to kids.

These are both my opinion, and I don't have cites, certainly not for the first point, so I'll back out of this conversation given that this is GD and all.
  #69  
Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM
begbert2 begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Maybe not less of a shitstorm, but I do think such a teacher would get a lot more vocal support on social media - "He's just telling it like it is! They can't take the truth."
I'm not sure that "vocal support on social media" is a useful metric for anything, but I will repeat that for americans who don't consider the constitution toilet paper, teachers opining on the existence of god to their students, for OR against, is pretty damned unconstitutional. You doubtlessly could find dipshits who still support it, perhaps even very loud dipshits, but pretending that liberals (or whoever) in general would be all happy about it sounds like fantasies based on demonization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Also, I don't mean this thread to be about school kids necessarily. It seems to be much more acceptable to tell adults that God doesn't exist than to tell kids that Santa doesn't exist. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that adults aren't considered emotionally fragile, is that it?
It's very certainly not the only difference. Even getting away from the "teacher saying it = unconstitutional" angle, the god question is a Big Deal with massive societal and political consequences. The santa question...ain't. Equating them is sort of like saying that hitting somebody with a feather and hitting them with a baseball bat should be considered equivalent for all discussions.
  #70  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Are you suggesting that Christian philosophers/intellectuals are intentionally deceiving people into believing in God?
A good definition of magic would be the intended violation of natural laws through supernatural means. So how is God not doing magic? Since magic seems cheap to many people, admitting that God does magic - in those terms - would demean God. Reason enough.

Quote:
You don't believe in witches? Here's photographic evidence that they do in fact exist. I have never heard of a witch walking on water, but maybe you can provide a documented instance of it.

Witchcraft is something that witches have historically practiced, 500 years ago and today.

However, if there exists a non-physical world, it's not too much of a stretch to think that humans might be able to do apparently supernatural or "magical" things with assistance from intelligent beings in the invisible world. If you choose to use the word "magical" to cover anything that falls under the apparently supernatural, then okay.
Back then they'd kill witches just for being pagans, but the accusations, as you well know, involved magic supposedly practiced by the witches, such as making cows die.
If you think anyone can do anything magical, feel free to offer evidence. And too bad you or they would be too late for the Randi challenge.
But that Christians back then (and maybe some today) thought witches did magic is indisputable.
  #71  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:37 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

Also, I don't mean this thread to be about school kids necessarily. It seems to be much more acceptable to tell adults that God doesn't exist than to tell kids that Santa doesn't exist. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that adults aren't considered emotionally fragile, is that it?
No, adults don't have parents who are considered to be in charge of their development. In many places sex ed in the classroom needs parental permission. Sex Ed for adults doesn't.

If you think that telling adults there is no god is wrong in some way, do you think that telling adults that there is a god is also? If it is, you'd have to tear down most church signs.
I don't think either is wrong, by the way.

BTW, I've seen some adults more fragile about being told there is no god than my kids were about Santa.

Last edited by Voyager; 01-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.
  #72  
Old 01-12-2019, 04:45 PM
truthseeker3 truthseeker3 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 116
Maybe it's time for something from the Santa-haters' perspective.

I've been trying to remember if I ever believed in Santa Claus. I don't know if my parents just weren't theatrical enough and never instilled belief in me in the first place. (My mom would put the presents under the tree as she bought them - no magical ta-da!! on Christmas morning.) Or if they told me early on and I just don't remember. (I was always one of those pedantically honest kids, the kind of kid who feels impelled to point out that the empty box is actually full of air. I might still be a little like that - maybe some of you can relate.) But either way, I have no clear memory of believing in Santa.

But I do have a very clear memory of being told not to tell one of my cousins that Santa wasn't real and feeling like I was being ordered to lie.

As a teenager, I'd hear parents talking about how, "Oh, woe is me, I don't know how to tell little Timmy that Santa's not real." I concluded that the parents wanted to spare their kids the traumatic revelation they'd experienced in their own childhoods, and I could never understand how they could be short-sighted enough to start this fantasy knowing how it would inevitably end. I knew better than to say anything like this out loud, but in my head I would always be thinking, "You mean you don't know how to tell little Timmy you've been lying to him all his life? Sorry - you created this problem; I have no sympathy for you."

And television definitely hasn't helped. I really dislike shows where belief in Santa is kind of a surrogate for religious faith; the message always seems to be "don't think - feel" because faith and reason are mutually exclusive. I find that insulting (and I'm issuing a pre-emptive eye-roll at the smart alec who will post "but they are!") I actually prefer the secular "So-and-so Learns the True Meaning of Christmas (the birth of Jesus Christ will not be mentioned)." But both are an improvement over the ones where somebody or other "saves Christmas" by making sure Santa can deliver all the bribes presents.

But I kind of married into the cult, and that means making compromises. We'll leave out cookies (I have a theory about who eats them, but I've never actually seen it happen so I have plausible deniability) but I've asked the kids' teachers not to send home "reindeer food." I am not feeding the reindeer, too - that's where I draw the line.
  #73  
Old 01-12-2019, 05:13 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK CarnalK is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 16,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker3 View Post
As a teenager, I'd hear parents talking about how, "Oh, woe is me, I don't know how to tell little Timmy that Santa's not real." I concluded that the parents wanted to spare their kids the traumatic revelation they'd experienced in their own childhoods, and I could never understand how they could be short-sighted enough to start this fantasy knowing how it would inevitably end. I knew better than to say anything like this out loud, but in my head I would always be thinking, "You mean you don't know how to tell little Timmy you've been lying to him all his life? Sorry - you created this problem; I have no sympathy for you."
No offense but I would bet a million bucks that your teenage memories are a little off. I find it hard to believe many adult parents would have that conversation with a teenager and I've never met anyone who remembers the discovery of Santa's nonexistence as particularly traumatic. And I've also never had a parent fret over how to tell the kids. Most parents just wait for the kid to figure it out.
  #74  
Old 01-12-2019, 06:00 PM
kanicbird kanicbird is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 19,061
To me Santa exists, it is a Spirit, sometimes called the Christmas Spirit - though it is basically interfaith, were adults are compelled by it to buy gifts for children. So Santa is real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
... He'll reward you if you're good and punish you if you're bad. ....
I have never never heard of a Santa that punishes anyone. One may get a lump of coal, but that is not a punishment, just a message.
  #75  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 PM
SenorBeef SenorBeef is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 27,607
Just semantics I guess. Withholding something that a child was expecting is a punishment that a lot of parents use to correct behavior.
  #76  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,023
nm

Last edited by dropzone; 01-12-2019 at 08:21 PM.
  #77  
Old 01-13-2019, 01:02 AM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 44,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
To me Santa exists, it is a Spirit, sometimes called the Christmas Spirit - though it is basically interfaith, were adults are compelled by it to buy gifts for children. So Santa is real.
Do you also believe in the birthday spirit, and the anniversary spirit, and the Valentines Day spirit and the Mothers' Day spirit...?
  #78  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:53 PM
truthseeker3 truthseeker3 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
No offense but I would bet a million bucks that your teenage memories are a little off. I find it hard to believe many adult parents would have that conversation with a teenager and I've never met anyone who remembers the discovery of Santa's nonexistence as particularly traumatic. And I've also never had a parent fret over how to tell the kids. Most parents just wait for the kid to figure it out.
Yes, I was deliberately exaggerating to give my impression of things at the time; this is the sort of thing I'd overhear (post #6):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malden Capell
My stepsister is a devout Christian and she's told all her kids Santa doesn't exist. I'm atheist and my two year old believes in Santa. My stepsister's kids however blurt out that Santa isn't real at every opportunity at Christmas, as they're those kind of Christians, and I find it such a shame. Honestly, I'm half-tempted, if they break my daughter's heart, to tell them God doesn't exist, either.
See? If Malden Capell's daughter finds out Santa isn't real, it will "break [her] heart."

However, as I've gotten... um... wiser, I've come to question some of the assumptions I had back then. I don't think there's any harm in letting childhood fantasies run their course; but I still think engineering experiences is a little like planting evidence, and I resent being roped into it. I sympathize with atheists who say they feel ambushed when their kids bring home religious trinkets.

On the other hand, if there's some kind of afterlife, then we don't have all the information that will eventually be available to us. If it's grinchy to hold a grudge against Santa because of the incomplete picture I formed in adolescence, maybe condemning God based on what we know now (in this life only) is a bit premature.
  #79  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM
doreen doreen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Woodhaven,Queens, NY
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker3 View Post
Yes, I was deliberately exaggerating to give my impression of things at the time; this is the sort of thing I'd overhear (post #6):

See? If Malden Capell's daughter finds out Santa isn't real, it will "break [her] heart."
That's not exaggeration - it's a completely different situation.
I suppose "traumatic revelation" could have been an exaggeration of "break her heart" , but Malden Capell wasn't trying to figure out how to tell her daughter there is no Santa. And Malden Capell's feelings about it probably have as much to do with those particular kids as it does to her daughter finding out about Santa at 2 years old , because older kids who do that tend to be mean in other ways.

Last edited by doreen; 01-14-2019 at 04:50 PM.
  #80  
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
truthseeker3 truthseeker3 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 116
If you want to criticize the way I saw the world when I was fifteen, you should also point out how much of what little kids think is a direct reflection of their parents' ideas, without any influence from TV, friends, books, movies, etc.
  #81  
Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK CarnalK is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 16,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker3 View Post
If you want to criticize the way I saw the world when I was fifteen, you should also point out how much of what little kids think is a direct reflection of their parents' ideas, without any influence from TV, friends, books, movies, etc.
We're criticizing how you're presenting your memories right now, presuming you are currently an adult.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017