Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 PM

How does the Queen Elizabeth answer her phone

Inspired by the "Do famous celebrities get junk mail?" thread

A friend of mine and I once tried to figure out how Queen Elizabeth answers her phone. I mean, after all, there's no way she's never used a telephone in her life. Now, obvs, she has someone answer it and they patch the caller through to Her Majesty if appropriate. But! She has to announce her presence once she picks up, no? She can't just lift the receiver to her ear and remain silent. So what does she say?

FWIW, we settled on "Queen speaking." But anyone who has gotten HM on the horn is welcome to share the experience.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 PM

I'm going with

"Ahoy ahoy"

Until I hear otherwise.

Kimmy Gibbler? Ahhh! I haven't heard that name in years!
The neighbor chick from the show with the baby anorexics! I had a huge crush on you in my formative years! :blush:

Last edited by brewha; 04-23-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
I mean, after all, there's no way she's never used a telephone in her life.
Since she became Queen, okay, I'll grant you that. But beforehand, it's quite likely that she did. IIRC, she was an airplane mechanic during WWII. I'd be very surprised if she had servants doing her phone connections at that point.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeve View Post
Since she became Queen, okay, I'll grant you that. But beforehand, it's quite likely that she did. IIRC, she was an airplane mechanic during WWII. I'd be very surprised if she had servants doing her phone connections at that point.
Read what you're quoting...

Joe
Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM

"Who is calling One?"
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
"Who is calling One?"
I am not a number... I am a free woman!

cue laughter

(the Village is bigger than you think)
Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 AM

The question was not how Queen Elizabeth answers her phone, but how the Queen Elizabeth answers her phone.

I'm going to guess one ear-splittingly loud blast.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
I am not a number... I am a free woman!
Queen in the Village: "One is not a number!"

This thread reminds me of something - might have been a (rather odd) Trivial Pursuit question and answer, although I am not certain on this point, nor on the exact wording of the question:
Q: "When the Queen Mother calls the Queen, how is she put through?"
A: "Your Majesty, Her Majesty. Your Majesty".

(Obviously the question dates from a time when Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was alive.)

If this is in any way accurate, it implies that even close relatives don't (or didn't, at that time) ring straight through to the monarch, but were forwarded by a secretary, who would ensure that both parties knew when they were connected and whom they were talking to.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
Read what you're quoting...

Joe
One little letter I missed! Yikes! Thanks for catching that...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM

What makes you think she doesn't say "Hello"?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM

"Is this the party to whom I am speaking?"

Another vote for "Hello" --- the screeners will have done the identification, so all that is necessary is a courtesy greeting.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Corgi Society. Would you like to make a donation.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
What makes you think she doesn't say "Hello"?
Only because "Hello" does leave a little ambiguity, supposing you don't know what the Queen sounds like (see, I wasn't kidding when I said my friend and I ran all the angles on this one). One could imagine the following exchange:
Code:
London, in the recent past

Brrrrrrrrrring

Operator: Good morning, Buckingham Palace, how may I direct your call?
Caller: Extension 4, please. It's Tony.
Operator: One moment, I'll connect you.

Rule Britannia plays during the call transfer

HMQE: Hello.
TB: Uh, yes, I was trying to reach Her Majesty actually.
HMQE: [Fill in the blank!!]
Fine. She probably does say something boring like "This is Her Majesty." But can you handle the follow-up? Does the Queen have a voicemail account? If so, what does she use as her greeting?

We hope it's "[robot voice] Hello, you have reached the voice mailbox for [HMQE voice] the Queen of England [robot voice again] Please leave your message after the tone. When you are finished recording your message, press 1 for more options or just hang up."
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM

I would guess that the operator, after letting the queen know who the caller is, brings the caller on-line and announces that he is now on the line with her. If I had the money, that's what I would do.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:38 PM

How does the Queen Elizabeth answer her phone?

With one pinky up.

Last edited by Hampshire; 04-23-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Yes, this is the Queen, and we don't have Prince Albert in a can!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
I would guess that the operator, after letting the queen know who the caller is, brings the caller on-line and announces that he is now on the line with her. If I had the money, that's what I would do.
This is mandatory phone protocol at many businesses, and seems like what I'd expect a queen to be doing.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

"Yo, talk to the Queen."
Old 04-23-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
This is mandatory phone protocol at many businesses, and seems like what I'd expect a queen to be doing.
Right. Then once the queen herself is actually on the horn, she says, "Moshi Moshi."
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
This stands out as the best answer IMO.

It's formal, but not unnecessarily involved.
It strikes me as old fashioned, and appropriate like a personal introduction.

And it seems I've heard this on old TV shows.
Like maybe, Bewitched. Think of an important client calling Larry or Darren.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy_Gibbler View Post
Code:
London, in the recent past

Brrrrrrrrrring

Operator: Good morning, Buckingham Palace, how may I direct your call?
Caller: Extension 4, please. It's Tony.
Operator: One moment, I'll connect you.

Rule Britannia plays during the call transfer

HMQE: Hello.
TB: Uh, yes, I was trying to reach Her Majesty actually.
HMQE: [Fill in the blank!!]
If the Tony/TB in your conversation there is Tony Blair, how likely is it really, that he'd not recognise her voice?
Even the first time he ever spoke to her on the phone, he'd have known what she sounded like.

And more to the point, I bet no one just phones The Queen, apart from her family. It seems far more likely to me that if you want to speak to her on the phone, and you've got the political clout for that to be a possibilty, that you have to make an appointment to call at a certain time.

Last edited by Dublin11; 04-23-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

For some reason I am hearing Graham Chapman's voice in my head.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin11 View Post
And more to the point, I bet no one just phones The Queen, apart from her family. It seems far more likely to me that if you want to speak to her on the phone, and you've got the political clout for that to be a possibilty, that you have to make an appointment to call at a certain time.
I get that, but my point is: no matter how rich or famous or powerful you are, at some point in your life, a phone is gonna ring and it's gonna be for you. What do you say when you put the receiver up to your ear?!?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:47 PM

Actually, as it's phrased in the thread title, I'm guessing the Queen Elizabeth (II) answers her phone with a communications officer.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

"Phil's in the shitter, how can I help you?"

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 04-23-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 PM

"Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith speaking"

Depends on which realm the subject she is communicating with is from

Last edited by Henrichek; 04-23-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrichek View Post
"Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith speaking"

Depends on which realm the subject she is communicating with is from
Let's just hope she doesn't get a job in corporate accounts payable.

"Corporate accounts payable, this is Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith speaking. Just a moment. Corporate accounts payable, this is Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith speaking. Just a moment. Corporate accounts payable, this is Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith speaking. Just a moment."
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM

According to this she initiated a phone call by saying "This is the queen speaking."

However, I'd imagine that if she's lounging around at home, whoever is calling will already know perfectly well who they're calling. Obviously it's not exactly a reputable source, but I do recall in the thoroughly-mediocre movie The Queen, she was just told in advance who was on the phone and answered accordingly - "Hello, prime minister" or whatever.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Being that she's likely not embroiled in the absolute latest in cultural trends, and what with American programming sometimes being delayed in being exported to the UK....

I'm gonna go with...

"Wazzzaaaaaaaap"
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post
Being that she's likely not embroiled in the absolute latest in cultural trends, and what with American programming sometimes being delayed in being exported to the UK....

I'm gonna go with...

"Wazzzaaaaaaaap"
I can totally see the Spitting Image version of QEII doing that...
Old 04-23-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post

I'm gonna go with...

"Wazzzaaaaaaaap"

Her voicemail did, for a while.

William and Harry change Grandma's voicemail
Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
Her voicemail did, for a while.

William and Harry change Grandma's voicemail
"Sorry I'm away from the throne."

That's particularly funny on this side of the Atlantic where "throne" is a euphemism for "toilet" - don't know if it is in the UK or not, but the image I got of the Queen answering the phone in the bathroom was not in keeping with the old lady's dignity.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:17 PM

I figured after she says "Hello", he says, "Hi, may I please speak to Her Majesty / Elizabeth / Grandma?" and she says "This is she." That's how we do it at Chez Zsofia, at any rate. I cannot get used to cell phones where everybody knows who's calling and who's picking up. It seems rude to me not to do the dance.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I figured after she says "Hello", he says, "Hi, may I please speak to Her Majesty / Elizabeth / Grandma?" and she says "This is she."
"This is We."
Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

I hear that Prince Charles has never put toothpaste on his toothbrush in his life; when he goes to brush his teeth it's just there ready. For all he knows it's like that for everyone; that would explain his readiness to believe in superstitions like talking plants and homeopathy.

I would imagine a similar mechanism means that the Queen never herself answers the phone, it's always passed her by The Third Phone-Wrangler Pursuivant or whoever.
Quote:
I figured after she says "Hello", he says, "Hi, may I please speak to Her Majesty / Elizabeth / Grandma?" and she says "This is she."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
"This is We."
"These are We" - one would assume she speaks The Queen's English, after all.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askance View Post
I hear that Prince Charles has never put toothpaste on his toothbrush in his life; when he goes to brush his teeth it's just there ready. For all he knows it's like that for everyone; that would explain his readiness to believe in superstitions like talking plants and homeopathy.
You can't believe everything you hear. Given the famously spartan nature of the school he went to, plus his time in the services, he's clearly perfectly capable of fending for himself, as needed.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 PM

"Oh hellooooooooooo!" <tm Jon Stewart>
Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 PM

There was that one time she used, "S'up, Dawg?"
Old 04-23-2009, 02:51 PM

What is the meaning of this!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM

In point of fact, I suspect she may deal with close friends with some variant on "This is Brenda" or some similar flip line. The Queen is rumored to have a delicious sense of humor in private which she rarely gets to show, owing to the seriousness with which she (and the whole Royal Family) take their duties, and I'm quite certain she knows, and laughs at, the irreverent stuff like Spitting Image -- so I could see her doing precisely that.

There was a note in the William Safire "On Language" column about 20 years back regarding the appropriateness of "It's me" as opposed to the ultra-precisionist "It is I" in which the anecdote was told of the Queen in a limo overhearing two young girls arguing about who was in the limo, one maintaining it was the Queen and the other that it was Princess Margaret, and she rolled down the window and said to the girl arguing that it was her (she?), "You're right. It's me" -- thereby conclusively proving that "It's me" is indisputably part of The Queen's English.

Last edited by Polycarp; 04-23-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo and clarification
Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

If assorted TV programs are to be believed, she does not answer the phone. An equerry or butler answers the phone and announces the caller to Her Majesty. However, in a biography of the Queen Mother, there is an indication that she does answer the phone directly because there's a comment that the switchboard got to say, "Your Majesty, Her Majesty is on the line."
Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
If assorted TV programs are to be believed, she does not answer the phone. An equerry or butler answers the phone and announces the caller to Her Majesty.
Since she carries a cell phone - and texts, not bad for an octagenarian - this might once have been true but isn't anymore.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I image she has a special top secret line for friends & family, complete with caller i.d. She probably says "Hello."
Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I image she has a special top secret line for friends & family, complete with caller i.d. She probably says "Hello."
"This had better be important, Charles."
Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 PM

On a related note, word on the street is that this is her ringtone.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 PM

I'm thinking that only a small handful of people very close to her actually get to speak with her at all. Everyone else would be directed toward some other relevant person. So she might say, after the caller is identified to her, "Hello, Philip" or Hello, Charles."
Old 04-25-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I'm thinking that only a small handful of people very close to her actually get to speak with her at all. Everyone else would be directed toward some other relevant person. So she might say, after the caller is identified to her, "Hello, Philip" or Hello, Charles."
According to John Warren, the Queen's bloodstock and racing advisor, she will take a call from him "at any time, day or night" if it concerns the welfare of her horses.

I'm willing to bet that she'll also readily accept calls from any of her five trainers.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:39 PM
BANNED

I will assume she has a cell phone in her purse

(Which answers the question what does the queen keep in her purse?)
Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
I will assume she has a cell phone in her purse.
There's a scene in the movie, The Queen, where she is shown driving alone on some royal estate (Balmoral, I think it was), and her car conks out in the middle of nowhere. She first takes a look under the hood to figure out what's wrong (she's a former mechanic, after all), then she takes a cell phone out of her purse and calls for help. I remember wondering if the Palace staff had special ring tones for when it was the Queen calling. I bet she never gets sent to voice mail.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
There's a scene in the movie, The Queen, where she is shown driving alone on some royal estate (Balmoral, I think it was), and her car conks out in the middle of nowhere. She first takes a look under the hood to figure out what's wrong (she's a former mechanic, after all), then she takes a cell phone out of her purse and calls for help. I remember wondering if the Palace staff had special ring tones for when it was the Queen calling. I bet she never gets sent to voice mail.
If that's the case, I'll bet the temptation to abuse that would be fierce. (I've read that the Queen has a WICKED sense of humor)