Old 04-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Recommend me some of your favorite Youtube channels.

I've been looking for more Youtube channels to subscribe to. I tend to like channels that have lists on them (like, "10 of the scariest Halloween costumes ever") or other factoids or trivia. I also like channels that teach things (like CrashCourse) or that are interesting or talk about interesting things/sites/games/books/etc. Also, the more videos a channel has, the better.
What are some of your favorites?

Some of the better/more interesting ones that I'm already subscribed to that I think others might like:
Tons of countdown list channels, like Alltime10s, TheRichest, Listopedia, Dark5, PlanetDolan, Tats TopVideos, WatchMojo.com, and Top15s
A few "interesting fact" channels, like MentalFloss, Numberphile, and Veritasium.
A few "teaching you things" channels like CrashCourse, SciShow, CGP Grey, AsapScience, and Vsauce
Many humorous channels that poke fun at movies, games, books, shows, etc...like Cinemasins and its many other channels (BrandSins, MusicVideoSins), Couch Tomato, WiseCrack, Screen Junkies, and Cinemassacre.
Some that have cool stuff going on such as mysteryguitarman and carsandwater.
Some that are just random thoughts and opinions regular people give in a funny, interesting, or amusing way such as Rob Dyke, TheFilmTheorists, ViHart, Off the Great Wall, and GamingHistorian.
..And then I have some really weird ones that are totally random and don't really seem to fit into any category...

Yet I need more....MORE, MORE! Link me to some of your favorite Youtube channels. I'm talking about the ones that you make sure you check regularly for updates and new videos on and that keep your attention.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:45 AM

Cameras Escondidas
New Father Chronicles
Old 04-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Epic Rap Battles of History
Cat CATastrophes (only if you like cats)
Old 04-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Murkin and his kittens
Scout, the fennec fox
Old 04-16-2016, 11:59 AM

Lindybeige
SmarterEveryDay
Old 04-16-2016, 12:15 PM

klaatu42 (talking animals) "Ultimate Dog Tease" is the link, but there are several more.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

I've got a thread on this channel that seems to be attracting little attention, but it's the best thing on YouTube, IMHO:
Regular Car Reviews

They're about the cars, but they're also about the entire world that led to that car.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:39 PM

Another great channel for classic cars is Petrolicious. Their videos are stunning and they present interesting stories behind the cars.

You could spend many, many hours going through their videos, and they upload new ones about every week or so.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:03 PM

Search "wintergaten marble machine" the channel also has a lot of prologue and how it works videos on the machine itself.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

RedLetterMedia

Their Best of the Worst show is the best internet show I've seen. They watch three terrible VHS movies and pick the best of the bunch, while destroying the worst. Here is Rich making a impromptu prank call to one of the companies that made a airplane vidoe.

Really hours of great shows if you visit these guys.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:21 PM

Adam Plaze's homophobic comments were a big turnoff to me, and I'm not even gay.

Last edited by Rick Kitchen; 04-30-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Adam Plaze's homophobic comments were a big turnoff to me, and I'm not even gay.
Adam Johnston is gay, so I think he's kind of being ironic or self-effacing. Still, I can see how that would be a turn off.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:37 PM

Adam Johnston's YourMovieSucks does great reviews of shitty movies, as well as mostly spoiler-free reviews of other movies (Quickies). He puts a ton of effort into researching the production of each film, to better understand how things may have been influenced. His three part review of After Earth is his magnum opus. His "Other Reviews" of Amazing Spider Man 2 and Jupiter Ascending are hilarious, as well.

Adam also does hilarious Let's Plays on his other channel, Adum Plaze. I highly recommend his LPs of Heavy Rain and Until Dawn.

Last edited by oft wears hats; 04-16-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:50 PM

Oh yeah, SciShow is fun, too.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I see that Sage Rat already mentioned Smarter Every Day...

I learned about that fellow's channel while watching TheSlowMoGuys.

For an offbeat topic, I subscribe to BosnianBill's Locklab channel. I have been fascinated with locks since childhood and it's really neat to see hundreds of videos dedicated to "lock sport" (lock picking without breaking laws).

ETA: Biggirl, Câmeras Escondidas is from Brazil, so now I'm going to share it with my wife. I got a kick out of the current video.

Last edited by minor7flat5; 04-16-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:43 PM

For all out making fun of and sending up mostly old or rare/bizarre video games (and sometimes movies, too), jontron.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
For all out making fun of and sending up mostly old or rare/bizarre video games (and sometimes movies, too), jontron.
He's slow at producing videos, but JonTron is a great comedian and a all around fun guy.

I'd start with his Star Wars Kinect review. Pure joy. Only 11 minutes or so, but a lot of fun.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
He's slow at producing videos, but JonTron is a great comedian and a all around fun guy.
Oh, for sure, but he's got a huge back log of videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I'd start with his Star Wars Kinect review. Pure joy. Only 11 minutes or so, but a lot of fun.
Yes, good stuff.

Last edited by cmyk; 04-16-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:38 PM

If you're into Kerbal Space Program, I follow Scott Manley's channel
Old 04-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Tom Scott's Things You Might Not Have Known is good. Not just science and other geeky subjects like language, but lots of obscure contemporary facts about all sorts of odd things.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
I've been looking for more Youtube channels to subscribe to. I tend to like channels that have lists on them (like, "10 of the scariest Halloween costumes ever") or other factoids or trivia. I also like channels that teach things (like CrashCourse) or that are interesting or talk about interesting things/sites/games/books/etc. Also, the more videos a channel has, the better.
What are some of your favorites?
Crash Course is one of favorites as it is SciShow, So I looked at others in my bookmarks:

Less known is that the guys from Crash Course have another channel were they explain in short videos many seemingly trivial and serious current events, and many times the background of those events and from other countries too.

The vlogbrothers

For the more meaty and educational subjects (one entry explains the background behind the Oregon Militia take over of Malheur) look at their Hank and John Explain! section.

For more education with animation and funny twists (I sense a pattern here) other recommended faves are:

Many are aware of the TED channel with short public talks of many interesting ideas and solutions proposed for a better world, less know is that TED contributors get together with animators all over the world to set the contributors words or to expand their ideas set to animation in the:

TED-Ed channel

Similar to that, the BBC radio has many famous eggheads and celebrities explaining philosophical and interesting subjects set to simple but detailed animation for short videos:

BBC Radio 4

Stephen Fry is also a contributor. (Rene Descartes - “I think, therefore I am”)

Anyone that can explain such an obtuse philosopher like Hegel in a concise and easy to follow nutshell deserves a mention:

The School of Life.

But my favorite Philosopher in YouTube is Olly Lennard:

The Philosophy Tube .. Of notice: his application of classical and modern philosophy to explain Rick and Morty.

For more science that I have used for cites too:

Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell

This In a Nutshell one is mind boggling: What Is Life? Is Death Real?

And regarding film, I also have one about it in my bookmarks:

Filmmaker IQ

Who knew that a short video about the history of film and TV aspect ratios was so interesting? The Changing Shape of Cinema: The History of Aspect Ratio (recommended to watch in a wide screen monitor)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I forgot one that I've been following too:

The Great War.

Every Thursday, Indy Neidell with the help of European historians, shows us with pictures and Pathé footage the progress of the war, exactly 100 years after the events; week by week. I'm attracted to the subject as an old WWI documentary shown in an educational channel in the old country was one of the first ones were I became aware of how interesting history can be.

Of course they are talking to eventually do one about WWII, not 100 years after it I hope. In the meantime I found the Soviet Storm from Star Media, very Russian centered as it was made in Russia, but it offers an interesting point of view not usually seen in American WWII documentaries.

I'm agreeing with some historians that by now both wars should be considered a single conflict with one big pause, of course then the Italians will look very silly for changing sides 4 times.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 04-17-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Bump with some news about one mentioned channel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I forgot one that I've been following too:

The Great War.

Every Thursday, Indy Neidell with the help of European historians, shows us with pictures and Pathé footage the progress of the war, exactly 100 years after the events; week by week. I'm attracted to the subject as an old WWI documentary shown in an educational channel in the old country was one of the first ones were I became aware of how interesting history can be.

Of course they are talking to eventually do one about WWII, not 100 years after it I hope.
And indeed:

Indy Neidell to do WWII in real time 2018 - the biggest collaboration on YT ever!
Old 04-19-2016, 02:38 PM

Knobfeel - Reviews of electronic equipment knobs, short and sweet - and nonverbal
Goldvision - A reflective philosophical generally non-violent guy plays various video games
Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin? - Video game themed skits, raunchy, violent, satirical, silly. Written by one of the writers of Borderlands I believe. Ash voices Tiny Tina in Borderlands.
SerpentZa - A South African/Englishman moves to China and blogs about it. Very immersive and informative.

Last edited by control-z; 04-19-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:03 PM

http://goo.gl/yEIawC

"Irish People Try/Taste/Watch/Explain... hilarious time-suck !!
Old 04-24-2016, 02:14 PM

How about my own channel? Lots of fun tidbits here. You won't be disappointed:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtM...SmAciZ-kR5QZiA
Old 04-26-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliam View Post

I love this one. My wife and I are going to Ireland in August/September and I came across this looking for Ireland videos.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliam View Post

Thanks for that, Philliam. I binge-watched these for two hours last night, and have only scratched the surface. They're hysterical!

My favorite: Irish People Watch Duck Dynasty: "Now I know how Trump got elected".

I like the Squirrel Hunter channel. I found it last summer when I was frustrated that squirrels ate almost every single tomato out of my backyard garden, and I was Googling "pest control squirrels". It's an Englishman who uses an air rifle and squirrel feeders to thin down populations of the invasive American grey squirrel. Although he's killing animals, it's weirdly soothing to watch, in part because of his quiet low-key voice as he narrates the action on his videos.

I also like the Scott Rea Project. I think I found it linked in the comments to the Squirrel Hunter channel. He's an English butcher who learned his trade the old-school way from an 80-year old village butcher, and he wanted to preserve this craft on video so that the skill wouldn't die out. It grew from straightforward butchery to game dressing, English recipes, and road trips to other villages in the English countryside to visit artisan shops. He's chatty and funny, and it's interesting to see how to break down a side of pork or a whole lamb.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Machine shop stuff on YouTube

I see Ale already mentioned AvE...though "machine shop shenanigans" doesn't even come close to describing that guy. It's a mix of the most amazing tool tear-downs, with spot-on descriptions of materials in use and so forth, with a liberal application of profanity and political incorrectness.

If you are interested in learning how to machine, watch mrpete222...he's a retired shop teacher and he covers a huge amount of ground.

For watching some heavy duty work, with good solid machining going on, check out Adam at Abom79. I really like his style, and he posts neat stuff every week.

If you want to learn some very cool tricks, of the kind every machinist should know, check out Joe Pieczynski. He is a teacher at heart, and he always is dropping little bits of wisdom in as he goes about teaching the main topic.

Want to see the real deal? Watch Stefan Gotteswinter, a proper tool and die man in Germany who works in precision down to the ten-thousandth of an inch. His work is truly amazing. Just don't let him know you use Imperial units--he sneers at us mortals who work in inch measurements.

If you prefer your cool metalwork with a sense of humor, watch This Old Tony. He makes some spiffy stuff and always has lighter moments.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 PM

I've been trying to tell people how great Youtube Channels are; but they just don't get it!

A few of my faves
Postmodern JukeBox "Today's hits, yesterday." They take current hit songs and play/sing them in 1930s-1960s Style. If you get a chance to see them in concert it's worth it!

Grant Thompson - The King of Random From his youtube page: "Call it "mad science", or just a "quest for discovery". These are some of my experiments, life-hacks, and random weekend projects." Basically he builds cool stuff.

Engineer Guy Bill Hammack explores the world of engineering, and explains complex topics and dumbs them down for us mere mortals. It's worth it just for his discussion about how/why cola cans are built the way they are.

This Old House Because who doesn't love This Old House?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

The React channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/React

Especially their people vs. food series. I especially like the ones with kids trying various unusual or foreign foods.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Oj7Cq_I2iQvJao
Old 04-27-2016, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Three channels about filmmaking:

Every Frame a Picture
Filmmaker IQ
Now You See It

Last edited by Little Nemo; 04-27-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:04 AM

PBS Idea Channel - I'm always surprised this one isn't more popular with Dopers. A great look at pop culture, technology, and philosophy.
Extra Credits The best in depth look at the planning and creating of video games. PLUS a great world history series called Extra History.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM

It's times like this when I wish that in addition to a polling option (which would be good here too), that we had an automated bracket software so we could easily toss all of these into a tournament style bracket and get the consensus on the best channel.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:49 PM

I am surprised to find that the Green brothers are involved in a great deal of my favorite YouTube channels. Probably because they have the cutest guys on camera. They're all so adorable. In fact I can only think of one girl who is featured regularly and she is . . . interesting looking.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:32 AM

Project Binky!

Did you ever watch one of those "some folks in a garage work on some sort of vehicular project" shows? This is how it should be done.
There are no made-up rows or arbitrary deadlines. No pre-commercial cliffhangers. These are just some dry-wit brits in a garage doing their thing.

The project is simple. Take a mini. Try and fit the insides of a sportscar in there. And through ingeniuity, craft and stubbornness, they're going to see it through.

And here's an URL to the first episode.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

The other day I stumbled across Fran Blanche.

I really like her stuff since she is a very geeky woman who gets down in the weeds talking about engineering stuff.

It seems to me that most people who post videos in this vein are guys, with a mildly annoying know-it-all attitude.

It is so refreshing to see this lady talking so casually and without any air of superiority, while waxing poetic about her collection of LED's from the 1960's and 1970's. At one point in a video she mumbled about how some folks would freak out at her soldering in a Monsanto XYZ-Somethingorother 7-segment display from the 70s, at which point she opened a cardboard box brimming with hundreds of them and laughed as she said she probably had the world's supply of them in her hands.

Check out her video on The Apollo Saturn V Launch Vehicle Digital Computer (LVDC) Circuit Board.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:21 AM

This is a great idea for a thread, looking forward to checking some of these links out.

My recommendations:

The Hillbilly Gor Channel -- For general WTFness, in a NSFW sort of way (naked gaming avvies and some nude language, although this consists mostly of combat vidoes, but ... the voiceover is ... different.

The Katering Show
-- what a cooking show should be!

The Guild -- Hilarious series about hardcore gamers. Do them in order, they aren't standalones, and they are totally worth the trouble. This is the series where Felicia Day made her bones as a Youtube celebrity.

Vaginal Fantasy -- It's not as bad as it sounds. It's book reviews of romance novels. Sometimes very steamy romance novels, but oftentimes not all that steamy. the real fun is the four women who team to give the reviews: Felicia Day, Veronica Belmont, Kiala Kazebee and Bonnie Burton, four very funny and sometimes very drunk women who are fun to listen to even if the book they are reviewing does not sound very good. And as I am not generally a fan of romances, that's saying something. The reviews are standalones, watch them in any order you please.

Last edited by Evil Captor; 04-30-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM

Extra Credits and their sub-channel Extra History are great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCO...M1JavPCOr_Uydg

Extra Credits talks about topics in gaming, especially game design. Extra History is series on a variety of historical topics, but I find quite often topics which don't get enough coverage.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:33 PM

If you like gardening, Home Grown Veg is great fun. It's presented by a headless old dear from northern England, with a delightful turn of phrase and accent. He mostly grows his veg in lightweight pots on his patio ("pa'io") and has many reveal vids where he digs up a root crop like carrots or potatoes, often enormous harvests, to his obvious delight. His dog, Molly, is a frequent contributor too. My favourite is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tFza61oQxY.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 PM

I mostly watch AVGN and Happyconsolegamer and similar type of shows. Most everything else on YT is fake, pointless or stupid.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 PM

Vet Ranch. They rescue animals that, in general, are about to be euthanized because the shelters don't have the money to pay to treat them, and make them well and able for adoption.

Ironically, the veterinarian who started Vet Ranch also runs Demolition Ranch, where he blows things up with heavy guns.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Comic Book Girl 19 is passionate about, well, comic books obviously, but also movies, TV shows, and other media. Most of her videos are reviews of newly-released items, but she's also done longer in-depth series like Epic History Game of Thrones and Epic History X-Men.

CineFix has some informative series with high production values. What's the Difference? goes into the differences between movies and their source material. Things You Didn't Know does indeed have a lot of trivia which I hadn't picked up from IMDb. And 8-Bit Cinema is just amazing, turning popular films into NES games. The music alone makes them worth checking out.

Alt Shift X examines fan theories about A Song of Ice and Fire in exhaustive detail, with fun graphics and deadpan humor. My favorite: Ser Pounce = Azor Ahai: will Tommen’s kitten save Westeros?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Forgot to mention The Young Turks channel, progressive news commentary and plenty of it.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor View Post
Forgot to mention The Young Turks channel, progressive news commentary and plenty of it.
Unfortunately, the Bernie-worship in recent months has gone a bit OTT.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:51 PM

ZDoggMD, more relevant than ever:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZDoggMD

And of course, Dr. Pimple Popper.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSandraLee
Old 03-25-2020, 11:15 PM

Fans of prog, hard rock, and arena rock will love Sea of Tranquility.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeaofTranquilityProg

And if classical music is your thing, there's Stephen Malinowski's animation channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/smalin
Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 PM

You mentioned Numberphile, so you may already be aware of some of Brady Haran's other channels, but just in case: Sixty Symbols, about physics; Periodic Videos, about chemistry, Deep Sky Videos, about astronomy, and Objectivity, about various interesting items in the collection of the Royal Society.

I also really enjoy The Brain Scoop, a kind of behind-the-scenes at the Field Museum.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:08 PM

Since it's been brought back, I may as well mention Dr. Jackson Crawford's channel where he goes into all sorts of interesting stuff about Old Norse language and Nordic myths.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM

A few I've added in the last two years (that I don't think have been mentioned yet)
Adam Savage's Tested About makers. Of things. I love One Day Builds. I also listen to the YouTubed podcasts while painting sometimes.

Today I Found Out Interesting Facts. There is also an associated Lists channel but I can't think of the name right now.

Binging With Babish He used to just cook stuff from TV shows, books and movies but he's now a bit more general.

In the two years since this thread first appeared, the New Father of New Father Chronicles has added a second daughter. Time sure flies.