Old 02-14-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
He'd probably have to scream the N-word and for Obama to be lynched or all non-whites to killed in camps or a video of him fucking Ivanka to be released to actually tank his support.
What ChockFullofHeadyGoodness said - these aren't things that would tank his base support. They may be outrageous things, but they're outrageous for their side.

The only thing that would make Trump's base turn on him is if he became liberal. Then they'd instantly demand impeachment and replacement by Pence.

Last edited by Velocity; 02-14-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lel View Post
This. He very much has a plan and is in it for the long term. Democracy is going to be completely dead if he is reelected, and chances are very good that he will be elected again.
Something I've noticed is that anytime Trump begins to ride high in the polls, he gets confident and starts unraveling. This week was his post-acquittal unraveling, and I think the two immediate consequences are that Barr dropped the case against McCabe and Trump apparently won't investigate Vindman, either.

Particularly in the case of Vindman, it was the smart move to let him go quietly into the night. Whereas McCabe has come out in public and sought attention, thereby making himself less of a victim in the eyes of Trump's supporters, Vindman really comes across as a nerdy wonk who just wants to do his job and doesn't seem like he's comfortable in any kind of spotlight. He's not your usual "attack the deep state" fodder.

Trump and Barr will probably turn down the volume for a while, but I suspect that they'll go after their enemies in the future. And they absolutely will if he gets re-elected. If Trump wins this year, he will be able to remake the government in his image.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Although it would entail stooping to Trump's level, I wish Bloomberg would attack Trump on his alleged financial/business acumen. Point out the he (Bloomberg) could buy and sell the entire Trump organization without a thought. That he earned his money rather than having been given it through shady practices. That Trump was pretty much a joke in the NY real estate community. It wouldn't do much for his chances in the election but it might make Trump become even more unhinged and reveal his true self to a greater extent.
Well, he did get put this one out yesterday

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeBloom...51551068721154

I rather liked ďCarnival Barking DogĒ

And when someone mentioned the Presidential race between two billionaires, he said ďWhoís the other one?Ē

It seems like he mostly only tweets in response though.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:08 PM

Honestly, I can imagine the President dying at any moment, given his age and apparent health problems.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 02-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Honestly, I can imagine the President dying at any moment, given his age and apparent health problems.
Thinking the same thing. His heart could explode in a grand collision of the KFC and the Big Macs.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I agree, I feel like Trump is the kind of guy who thinks he knows himself better than any doctor possibly could. So the doctor might tell him he's pre-diabetic and he'd better lay off the hamberders and Trump will eat more of them just to prove the doctor wrong. But in the end, blood sugar doesn't give a shit about politics or one's own over-inflated opinion of self.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Thinking the same thing. His heart could explode in a grand collision of the KFC and the Big Macs.
Sometimes, late at night, I go all Marianne Williamson on this and try to visualize that vulnerable heart straining to pump all that greasy blood through that obese bloated body, then seizing up in its last paroxysms, unable to take it anymore. Manifestation, you know. Hasnít work yet but it beats counting sheep.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:21 AM

That's all wishful thinking. An admiral said he is a svelte 239 pounds and his old doctor said all his tests were positive and that he is in the best health of any president in history.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

His old doctor also said that he's two inches taller than he actually is (coincidentally, exactly the height that was needed to put his BMI just barely into the not-overweight range).
Old 02-15-2020, 09:57 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Other than his size if I had to pick who looks healthier between Trump, Bernie and Biden I would have to go with Trump. Bernie is looking pretty good for someone who recently had a heart attack. Biden.... I donít even want to write what Iím thinking.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Other than his size if I had to pick who looks healthier between Trump, Bernie and Biden I would have to go with Trump. Bernie is looking pretty good for someone who recently had a heart attack. Biden.... I donít even want to write what Iím thinking.
Ah, go ahead.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Although it would entail stooping to Trump's level, I wish Bloomberg would attack Trump on his alleged financial/business acumen. Point out the he (Bloomberg) could buy and sell the entire Trump organization without a thought. That he earned his money rather than having been given it through shady practices. That Trump was pretty much a joke in the NY real estate community. It wouldn't do much for his chances in the election but it might make Trump become even more unhinged and reveal his true self to a greater extent.
Trump isn't some Star Trek computer thats going to explode like that dude in Big Trouble in Little China.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:50 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ah, go ahead.
Whatís with the dubious smilie? Did you only listen to the audio of the debates?
Old 02-15-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Whatís with the dubious smilie? Did you only listen to the audio of the debates?
You said:
Quote:
... I donít even want to write what Iím thinking.
Instead of asking two additional questions, just say what you're thinking.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:15 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
You said: Instead of asking two additional questions, just say what you're thinking.
I think heís starting to look like the preacher in Poltergeist 2. I think my 85 year old mother who is battling cancer looks healthier. I wish I was exaggerating. At this point I donít know if he can handle the next few months of campaigning let alone 4 years as president. I donít see how anyone can look at him and not think the same.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:47 PM

I have to agree with Loach. Biden looks like he's got a foot and a couple toes in the grave. If he looked healthy, he'd win the nomination easily. He should have ran in 2016 but I'm not sure he would have beaten Hillary.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I think heís starting to look like the preacher in Poltergeist 2. I think my 85 year old mother who is battling cancer looks healthier. I wish I was exaggerating. At this point I donít know if he can handle the next few months of campaigning let alone 4 years as president. I donít see how anyone can look at him and not think the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I have to agree with Loach. Biden looks like he's got a foot and a couple toes in the grave. If he looked healthy, he'd win the nomination easily. He should have ran in 2016 but I'm not sure he would have beaten Hillary.
Okay. Thanks.

I'm no good at reading minds--I don't try to.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
He already has self-destructed, years ago. The problem is that it doesn't matter, and the debris still occupies the White House.
+1
He has melted down. He's made a fool out of himself on camera countless times, and despite trying to obstruct justice over and over, there's still plenty of objectively incriminating evidence; much worse than Watergate.

But strangely a large part of the electorate don't care.

So the questions instead become: *Is there* a line that Trump can cross that would lose his base at this point, and will he cross it before/during the election?

There are multiple threads on these topics. But basically, I would say "yes" and "no".
He could always do something truly batshit like just start masturbating on live TV. But I don't think he will, and anything less than that, his supporters will handwave. Erm, so to speak.

Last edited by Mijin; 02-15-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:32 PM

The thread seems to have gone from "Will Tramp self-destruct?" to "How do I fantasize Tramp's self-destruction?" aka looking for mechanisms. Heart failure seems the most likely. But then his clone will be wheeled out and events will proceed. We're doomed, DOOMED!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Trump isn't some Star Trek computer thats going to explode like that dude in Big Trouble in Little China.
He's also not indestructible like that dude in the Bible.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:14 PM

Self destruct and melt down are not the same thing.

The former means he loses his effective pillars of support.

Last edited by drad dog; 02-15-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Apart from being overweight, Trump looks great for a guy who is almost 74 years old. Bernie doesn't look bad, but having a heart attack at his age is not good news. Biden looks like he's damned near dead.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:59 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Agreed. Apart from being overweight, Trump looks great for a guy who is almost 74 years old. Bernie doesn't look bad, but having a heart attack at his age is not good news. Biden looks like he's damned near dead.
My theory is that since every policy decision Trump makes is a knee jerk reaction at the moment he has not suffered the stress and anxiety that every other president has. Every other president has probably worried about every decision they made. Trump is sure heís always right and never mulls anything. If nothing else itís probably healthier for him.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:17 PM

Hanging in the US Holocaust Memorial Museum is a list of the 14 warning signs of fascism. I think Trump's ticked every one.

Powerful and continuing nationalism
Disdain for human rights
Identification of enemies as a unifying cause
Supremacy of the military
Rampant sexism
Controlled mass media
Obsession with national security
Religion and government intertwined
Corporate power protected
Labor power suppressed
Disdain for intellectuals & the arts
Obsession with crime & punishment
Rampant cronyism & corruption
Fraudulent elections

Almost no one in power on the right has complained about any of these actions They've cheered many of them. I don't see much that Trump could do to implode, or turn his base against him in any meaningful way. If anything begins to, he'll just call it fake news and they'll nod sagely, of course it is. Dear Leader would never do such a thing, obviously a fake hoax witchhunt.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Elijah?
Old 02-16-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Satan?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 PM

Mabes for the win - Samson.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:46 PM

No, the biblical X-man was Yeshua bir Miryam. It's hard to break up a godling. Stronger than dirt, just like Mr Clean.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
If he believed that fucking Ivanka would help him get re-elected, it's within his rights as President because it's for the good of the country. Right, Mr. Dershowitz?
I suspect Ivanka deserves that and more. And Jared should have to watch.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
I suspect Ivanka deserves that and more. And Jared should have to watch.
I would hazard a guess and say this kind of attitude is likely to result in a Trump victory
Old 02-18-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
My theory is that since every policy decision Trump makes is a knee jerk reaction at the moment he has not suffered the stress and anxiety that every other president has. Every other president has probably worried about every decision they made. Trump is sure heís always right and never mulls anything. If nothing else itís probably healthier for him.
I'm not a shrink, but from my experience, this extreme self-confidence manifests itself in all wildly successful people. They make a decision, things get better for them, thus proving that their decision-making is solid. Rinse and repeat.

Note that the converse is not true. Not all extremely self-confident people are successful. Many of those people crash and burn and lose their house in an unsuccessful business venture.

However, I think that without extreme self-confidence, there can be no wild success. People who lack it are generally satisfied making $85k/yr at their job, coming home, eating dinner, having three beers and going to bed. They don't want to upset the comfort of having security.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullibility is Underated View Post
I would hazard a guess and say this kind of attitude is likely to result in a Trump victory
My attitude is irrelevant, I am not entitled to vote in US elections. But I feel entitled to be as obnoxious as he is. If this attitude results in anything, it will be a travel ban into the USA (I'm fine with that) and a trade war with Germany or Europe in general. Or the whole world, let's get things done properly!
And, who knows, perhaps he does not win after all.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:52 AM

The thing is, if evidence came out that Trump had slept with Ivanka, I don't think it would lose his base at this point.
Some would handwave it (what about Obama's dad cheating on his mother!?), others would dispute the evidence no matter how clear it was.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Something I've noticed is that anytime Trump begins to ride high in the polls, he gets confident and starts unraveling. This week was his post-acquittal unraveling, and I think the two immediate consequences are that Barr dropped the case against McCabe and Trump apparently won't investigate Vindman, either.

Particularly in the case of Vindman, it was the smart move to let him go quietly into the night. Whereas McCabe has come out in public and sought attention, thereby making himself less of a victim in the eyes of Trump's supporters, Vindman really comes across as a nerdy wonk who just wants to do his job and doesn't seem like he's comfortable in any kind of spotlight. He's not your usual "attack the deep state" fodder.

Trump and Barr will probably turn down the volume for a while, but I suspect that they'll go after their enemies in the future. And they absolutely will if he gets re-elected. If Trump wins this year, he will be able to remake the government in his image.
If Trump self-destructs, it will be because he's gone too far in undermining Barr because he can't stop tweeting and gloating. Trump may not have a breaking point but Barr likely does, and Trump openly providing evidence of Barr's corruption does not help. And if Barr goes, Trump will lose a key protector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Perhaps we should offer him a wafer-thin mint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I'm not a shrink, but from my experience, this extreme self-confidence manifests itself in all wildly successful people. They make a decision, things get better for them, thus proving that their decision-making is solid. Rinse and repeat.

Note that the converse is not true. Not all extremely self-confident people are successful. Many of those people crash and burn and lose their house in an unsuccessful business venture.
The slopes of Mount Everest are littered with the corpses of highly motivated and self-confident people.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 AM

Also, Trump is not wildly successful, he just thinks he is.

You know, "Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple."
Old 02-18-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
The thing is, if evidence came out that Trump had slept with Ivanka, I don't think it would lose his base at this point.
Some would handwave it (what about Obama's dad cheating on his mother!?), others would dispute the evidence no matter how clear it was.
Nobody's going to handwave a guy fucking his own daughter. But yes, they WILL dispute the evidence and claim it's a hoax.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullibility is Underated View Post
Yes it is dangerous to have unapproved and unscripted thoughts. Each one we have brings us closer to our destiny, which is terrifying. Ho hum.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Nobody's going to handwave a guy fucking his own daughter. But yes, they WILL dispute the evidence and claim it's a hoax.
And I disagree. There are already countless sentences beginning "Nobody's going to handwave..." about things that Trump's done, and yet here we are, with approval figures that have barely budged ever.
IMO they would both dispute it (regardless of how incontrovertible the evidence is), and/or handwave / deflect from it.

Of course we'll never know for sure. Probably.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
Hanging in the US Holocaust Memorial Museum is a list of the 14 warning signs of fascism. I think Trump's ticked every one.

Disdain for human rights
Rampant sexism
Controlled mass media
Labor power suppressed
Fraudulent elections

Almost no one in power on the right has complained about any of these actions They've cheered many of them. I don't see much that Trump could do to implode, or turn his base against him in any meaningful way. If anything begins to, he'll just call it fake news and they'll nod sagely, of course it is. Dear Leader would never do such a thing, obviously a fake hoax witchhunt.
I think the list means more that they accomplish all those things, not merely attempt them or idealize them. Trump hasn't actually accomplished all those things, especially not in a nationwide sense.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I think the list means more that they accomplish all those things, not merely attempt them or idealize them. Trump hasn't actually accomplished all those things, especially not in a nationwide sense.
Not yet. But he's working on it.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post

Let us know when you find your perfect. Enjoy your march to the salt mines.
Should we just blindly support actions by Democrats, or should we support actions that will get Trump out of office? That jury foreman did nothing to advance the cause but did quite a bit to set it back. Sheís not going to change the outcome, but sheís given the right a talking point to question the validity of the verdict. Progressives are sometimes too concerned about having their voices heard, when staying silent would further progress towards the goals their shouting about.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:43 PM

If Trump had sex with the dead body of Charles Manson he might lose a few votes. No more than 20 .
Old 02-22-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
If Trump had sex with the dead body of Charles Manson he might lose a few votes. No more than 20 .
Or award himself the Medal of Freedom.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
It's clear he uses each little corrupt "win" as courage for further abuses. He couldn't control himself after these events. He doesn't seem to have a notion of how it might be seen in US history.
His effort to suppress John Bolton's book suggests to me he does have such a notion of how he might be seen.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post

Disdain for human rights
Rampant sexism
Controlled mass media
Labor power suppressed
Fraudulent elections

And so .... I assume you're arranging safe passage to another country? Are you applying for asylum in any other countries? I'd recommend Mexico, honestly, since it's full of beautiful places where you could live like a king on the American dollar, but if the English language is a priority for you, Canada, the United Kingdom, or even Jamaica or Bermuda could be good places to emigrate.

Of course, if you're dead set on staying in America to fight this imminent fascist regime, that's definitely honorable. Just start stocking up on weapons now. I mean, 14 warning signs, posted in the Holocaust Museum, no less, which are all displayed by Trump - you know what the only good kind of Nazi is, right? Don't we all? God knows there's NO shortage of armament purveyors in this country, so by all means, start building up the arsenal that you and your like minded compatriots will use to fight back. Also, get lots of first aid supplies; armored vests; emergency rations; do you think if the various partisan groups who fought the Nazis in Europe had the internet, they WOULDN'T have been spending every penny on that stuff if they somehow had foreknowledge of the upcoming conflict? Get to work!

Oh, you're NOT going to do either of those two things? So you're saying that you're going to stay for the fascism, AND you're not going to try to fight the fascism. I think there's a word for someone living in that situation, but it escapes me.

Or, you know, you and all the people saying this stuff could get a little bit of perspective, a little sense of proportion.... is it so much to ask?
Old 02-22-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy View Post
His effort to suppress John Bolton's book suggests to me he does have such a notion of how he might be seen.
I would never say that he lacks a consciousness of guilt which pushes him, as well as a wish to stay out of jail. But he is a victim of his irrational enthusiasms when he gets good narcissistic supply. It's going to be a trail leading to him. I would take all of his actions as a whole to judge this.

He has an alternate view of how the world works in the first place, and the implication is there that his thought processes about what "history" looks like might be very divergent.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
And so .... I assume you're arranging safe passage to another country? Are you applying for asylum in any other countries? I'd recommend Mexico, honestly, since it's full of beautiful places where you could live like a king on the American dollar, but if the English language is a priority for you, Canada, the United Kingdom, or even Jamaica or Bermuda could be good places to emigrate.

Of course, if you're dead set on staying in America to fight this imminent fascist regime, that's definitely honorable. Just start stocking up on weapons now. I mean, 14 warning signs, posted in the Holocaust Museum, no less, which are all displayed by Trump - you know what the only good kind of Nazi is, right? Don't we all? God knows there's NO shortage of armament purveyors in this country, so by all means, start building up the arsenal that you and your like minded compatriots will use to fight back. Also, get lots of first aid supplies; armored vests; emergency rations; do you think if the various partisan groups who fought the Nazis in Europe had the internet, they WOULDN'T have been spending every penny on that stuff if they somehow had foreknowledge of the upcoming conflict? Get to work!

Oh, you're NOT going to do either of those two things? So you're saying that you're going to stay for the fascism, AND you're not going to try to fight the fascism. I think there's a word for someone living in that situation, but it escapes me.

Or, you know, you and all the people saying this stuff could get a little bit of perspective, a little sense of proportion.... is it so much to ask?
As a great man once said, there are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty. The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the ammo box. Use them in that order.

Today I'm standing on my soap box. In November I'll use the ballot box. The jury box awaits as soon as Trump's "get out of jail free" Presidential immunity is removed. As for the ammo box, we're not there yet. If we were, I'd have zero problem using that box, as well, if a times comes when liberty must be preserved by force of arms.

To suggest that an American leave the country if unhappy with the status quo is ludicrous and insulting.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that you're going to stay for the fascism
America: Come For The Burgers, Stay For The Fascism.

Last edited by Gyrate; 02-24-2020 at 05:15 AM.