Old 02-23-2020, 10:04 PM

I love Ovi. But he's not going to surpass Grezky; no one is. Mark my words.

Grezky's goals, and especially assists will never be broken.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:45 PM

I don't think he's going to pull it off either -- his age is going to catch up with him eventually -- but I get less confident in that answer every year.

The crazy thing is that he's missed like 1.5 seasons to the lockouts, too.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 PM

I swear I typed "Gretzky." Honestly spell check.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Ovi has been damn lucky on the injury front. But that won’t last forever
Old 02-23-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Yeah. Add my head to that explosion. What an embarrassment.
It makes me feel a bit better about the game the other day.

Although losing to the Caps and now being back in 2nd place? UGH!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I love Ovi. But he's not going to surpass Grezky; no one is. Mark my words.

Grezky's goals, and especially assists will never be broken.
I'm not saying it's certain - at his age you are one bad step from serious injury - but are you really CERTAIN he can't score 195 more? Really? Would you give me five to one odds? Ten to one?

No one is breaking Gretzky's assists or total points records, but his goal record is not unassailable. It's a matter of health. The only reason Mario Lemieux isn't the career goal scoring champion is health.

Ovechkin appears to be healthy, is in great shape, is scoring goals at a rate that even for all time goal scoring heroes is VERY high for his age, and appears to love playing hockey more than anything else. He certainly could play 5-6 more years of high quality hockey.

One could, of course, make an argument that overall Ovechkin is a better goal scorer than Gretzky was; clearly not at peak level, but for his carer Ovechkin has scored more goals per game than Gretzky, and he plays in an era in which there are fewer goals because the goalies are a lot better. Scoring 50 goals today is a vastly more impressive accomplishment than it was in the 80s.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-24-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:51 AM

I'd give probably 1 to 8 odds Ovi'll do it. I would like to see him get another one of those goals where he's down on the ice, sliding out wide, but manages to whip his stick around and direct it past the Coyotes goalie at a very sharp angle.
But in the seventh game, SC Finals, though.

damn did I appreciate Canucks' spank-adelic 8-3 shellacing over the Bruins on the weekend. Having ring-wearers Tanner Pearson and Tyler Tofolli as recent additions will really help the Canucks. Even though they were always line-mates on those multi-Cup Kings (and groomsmen at their weddings), they're split up here, most likely to spread the wisdom, along with gritty vets JT Miller and Jay Beagle (the latter currently leading the NHL in face-off percentage, and outstanding on the penalty kill).
Pettersson finally starting to show signs of awesome normalcy again after that uncalled way-late hit on him two Boston games ago.
Strange ray of hope feeling going forward.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Scoring 50 goals today is a vastly more impressive accomplishment than it was in the 80s.
Right, in the 1980s it was common to have at least a half dozen 50 goal scorers every season. How many goals would Ovechkin have scored in that era?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:52 AM

Sens trade JG Pageau to the Islanders for a 1st and 2nd round pick this year. The first is top-3 protected. The Sens get a bonus 3rd round pick if the Islanders somehow win the cup.

I love Pageau and everything that he's done for the team over the years -- he's actually be central to two iconic playoff moments for the team -- but if you can get that kind of return for a third-line centre who's a pending UFA and looking for a contract that will take him well into his thirties, you take that deal and run.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Sens trade JG Pageau to the Islanders for a 1st and 2nd round pick this year. The first is top-3 protected. The Sens get a bonus 3rd round pick if the Islanders somehow win the cup.

I love Pageau and everything that he's done for the team over the years -- he's actually be central to two iconic playoff moments for the team -- but if you can get that kind of return for a third-line centre who's a pending UFA and looking for a contract that will take him well into his thirties, you take that deal and run.
A good deal for the Sens. My Senators buddy agrees.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's certain - at his age you are one bad step from serious injury - but are you really CERTAIN he can't score 195 more? ...
I'm going on record and saying Ovi will not break Gretzky's goal total.

I've been here for 15 years and will still be here when Ovi retires. I love him as a player, and as a great ambassador for the game, but he won't break Wayne's total: no one will.

$20 Rick?
Old 02-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post

I'm pretty excited about it as an Islanders fan. He has two more goals than anyone on the Isles this year and is third in total points for his new team. The Isles are playing their prospects from the AHL because of all of their injures up front, and it would be tough to make a deep playoff run with Koivula (who?), Bellows (who?), and Dal Colle (who?).

So, maybe this is a win-win?

Fingers crossed for Parise, too!
Old 02-24-2020, 02:03 PM

As I wait for the news from the trade deadline, I'm left asking the question -- do these mid-to-late season trades really work out for teams that year? I don't really follow other teams much -- which teams have made good trades leading to a deep run in the playoffs recently?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I'm going on record and saying Ovi will not break Gretzky's goal total.

I've been here for 15 years and will still be here when Ovi retires. I love him as a player, and as a great ambassador for the game, but he won't break Wayne's total: no one will.

$20 Rick?
What odds are you laying me? This is a matter of probabilities, not certainty - but if you are certain you should be happy giving me, say, twenty to one?

As to the Pageau deal, that is a FANTASTIC trade.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:15 PM

The one I think could've beaten Gretzky is MARIO, had he been fully healthy. Look at what he managed to accomplish while going through what he did -- imagine if he had been at 100%!

(Of course, I may be a wee biased)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-24-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
What odds are you laying me? This is a matter of probabilities, not certainty - but if you are certain you should be happy giving me, say, twenty to one?

As to the Pageau deal, that is a FANTASTIC trade.
Five to one.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:20 PM

Two corrections from my previous post - it was actually a 9-3 throttling of Canucks over the Bruins, which was cool, but way less cool is that after that game it turned out Markstrom could be out for up to 4-5 weeks with knee problems, which makes my aforementioned ray of hope dissolve into a shroud of ACK!!!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Five to one.
No, I'd need at least eight to one.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
The one I think could've beaten Gretzky is MARIO, had he been fully healthy. Look at what he managed to accomplish while going through what he did -- imagine if he had been at 100%!
I mean, yeah; I mentioned him, but mathematically it's obvious that had he been anywhere near as healthy as Gretzky he'd have scored more goals. Mario played only 915 games to Wayne's 1487, but scored "only" 203 fewer. Had he scored as many goals per game in more games, he would have had to play in 1184 games to break the record, which actually isn't that long a career for a true great. That wouldn't crack the top hundred all time.

When Mario retired the first time he was still the greatest player in the world, and was coming off a 50-goal season. Had he played the following three seasons he'd have been well over 800 goals when he came back - when he did come back he scored 35 goals in only 43 games - and by that first retirement he had already missed about 150 games to injury in a period when he was averaging four goals every five games. A healthy Lemieux could have blown by a thousand goals.

I cannot think of any example in any sport when the holder of a major lifetime record did not hold it at least in part because they enjoyed a relatively injury-free career. Sports is full of examples of guys who peaked incredibly high but didn't last long enough to set these records. Mike Bossy scored as many goals per game as Mario - actually a tiny bit more, he's the all time leader - popping in 573 goals in just 752 games, but he was done at age 30 due to back problems. Pavel Bure scored more goals per game than either Gretzky or Ovechkin but his career was even a bit shorter than Bossy's.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-24-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
No, I'd need at least eight to one.
Six to one.
Take it or leave it.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Eight to one was the best I was willing to offer, but at least you're willing to admit you're not SURE. Most sports fans are dumb that way.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Eight to one was the best I was willing to offer, but at least you're willing to admit you're not SURE. Most sports fans are dumb that way.
Too funny.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Man, the Zamboni defeat has really caused a lot of shirt-rending in Toronto. It was highly predictable; for a day people were delighted, but now that's worn off and the reaction is "Jesus Christ, look at this mess."

It's a fair concern. The Leafs have been building something for years, anchored around highly skilled players, and this was a year they should have stepped up and been a top team. Instead they're in a death scramble to make the playoffs. They can certainly score goals but they're a dreadful defensive team and there is really no solution in sight, and my criticism of their defense is purely statistical and based on an observation of how they play; that's not even getting into the question of their heart. The possibility they are going to waste the best years from the likes of Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews is very real.]

Last edited by RickJay; 02-25-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:49 AM

Yep. I won't disagree with any of that. Yet another disheartening season.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:25 PM

WTF is going ON? Six games in a row, now we're behind both the Caps AND the Flyers, this is just depressing!

And Evander Kane is a jagoff. He hits Chad Ruhwedel RIGHT smack in front of the guy's grandmother, on her birthday! I LOATHE the guy.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:42 PM

New thread for March.