Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
And they now have Donald Trump. What would you have the Democrats inflict on the country?
And Republicans are thrilled. They got exactly the sort of president they've always wanted, who is enacting exactly the sort of policies they've been clamoring for for years.

Which, again, is something that I'd like to see the Democratic party get.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
In what way is the hateful right worse than:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8981331.html

The extreme left is not that much better than the extreme right.
Bzzzzt. WRONG!

There are hundreds of thousands (or even millions?) of Americans that can be described as the hateful right -- Stephen Miller and Trump himself, just for starters, right at the center of the White House itself. Trump rally-goers. Teabaggers. Hannity and Limbaugh are haters. Look at all the whites calling police when they see blacks in a public park or such. America is aflame with right-wing hatreds.

Your link appears to go to an article about Antifa — (I'm not going to waste jamming my Adblocker just to read it) — but the Antifa is a smallish group. Does the entirety of Antifa amount to just hundreds of members, or is it just dozens?

Moreover, the right-wing haters direct hatred against immigrants, foreigners, blacks, browns, Muslims, Democrats, gays and even women.
Antifa directs its hatred specifically against right-wing haters and only them.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
And Republicans are thrilled. They got exactly the sort of president they've always wanted, who is enacting exactly the sort of policies they've been clamoring for for years.

Right. It's laughable to think otherwise.

Trump is modern American conservativism almost distilled to it's essence.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Not even close. She is trying to push the party in a particular direction. A direction that is subscribed to by the majority of the party. In fact that is the entire problem, that she isn't trying to represent the Democrats, she is trying to radicalize us.
Who's "us"? I've been a dem all my life, and I have always voted as far left as I could.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
It does not appear that AOC's endorsements and support have been terribly effective so far.
Julie Salazar is the only one who won the general election, and she ran unopposed. None of the others won their primaries, or even came close.

If she's trying to push the party further to the left, it ain't working.

Now she has endorsed Bernie Sanders. That is not automatically the kiss of death, but if I were Bernie, I wouldn't be picking out furniture for the White House just yet.

Regards,
Shodan
That was in the 3-4 months or so that AOC was running to win her own primary and general election. I think it's safe to say she hadn't begun to be a national figure yet.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
That has nothing to do with AOC or Bernie. The extreme left in America is virtually powerless, unlike the extreme right.

That's because they never left.

The Democrats wouldn't, because we're much, much better. The two sides are not the same.
And the Proud Boys have nothing to do with Sarah Palin.

We are comparing the extremes.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
"More progressive" isn't "radical". This is just nuts. We have a big tent party -- very progressive folks are welcome, as are moderates. And all of them are welcome to try and influence the party in their preferred direction.
But she is not following, she is leading
Old 02-27-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
And at that point, who among the Dems would care? The prospect of another four years of Trump - this time without any guardrails whatsoever - isn't going to leave much energy for recriminations.
And it will be Bernies fault. Laid squarely at his ideologically pure feet
Old 02-28-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
And the Proud Boys have nothing to do with Sarah Palin.

We are comparing the extremes.
The extreme right has plenty to do with Trump.

Quote:
But she is not following, she is leading
Oh no! A young, talented progressive leader is trying to lead! How horrible!

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 02-28-2020 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And it will be Bernies fault. Laid squarely at his ideologically pure feet
Y'know, if we wake up on November 4 and Trump's been re-elected, if I run into someone who's all about casting blame for the loss rather than figuring out how to help America survive this catastrophe, I'm gonna spit in his face.

Just sayin'.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Who's "us"? I've been a dem all my life, and I have always voted as far left as I could.
The majority of the Democratic party that is currently flocking to Biden.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
The extreme right has plenty to do with Trump.

Oh no! A young, talented progressive leader is trying to lead! How horrible!
The extreme right produces Trump, not the other way around. He would be very have been elected if the Tea Party hadn't pushed the Republican party to the right of Kasich.

And it is in fact horrible that a deadly mounted inexperienced naive firebrand is is leading our even seen top be leading the Democratic party. She is a living caricature of what Republicans say we are.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Y'know, if we wake up on November 4 and Trump's been re-elected, if I run into someone who's all about casting blame for the loss rather than figuring out how to help America survive this catastrophe, I'm gonna spit in his face.

Just sayin'.
And what of the Bernie broods that stayed home because they didn't get what they wanted?

Is there nothing to be learned from the results of their behavior?

No. Once Trump is elected, it's game over. We will lose the majority on the court for a generation. We will lose congressional seats to redistricting for a decade. We will lose statehouses and state legislators.

This isn't about single payer vs public option, this is about democracy.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
The extreme right produces Trump, not the other way around. He would be very have been elected if the Tea Party hadn't pushed the Republican party to the right of Kasich.

And it is in fact horrible that a deadly mounted inexperienced naive firebrand is is leading our even seen top be leading the Democratic party. She is a living caricature of what Republicans say we are.
This is gibberish. What little I can actually understand is hyperbolic nonsense.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

You really miss a lot from the news uh?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...uz-coronavirus
Quote:
Ted Cruz tried to mock AOC's scientific knowledge – it didn't end well

If you were in search of a scientifically minded, steadying presence to guide the country through the potential fallout of the coronavirus, you could not do much worse than Vice-President Mike Pence.

This being the Donald Trump administration, however, where qualifications and expertise are often seen as prohibitive factors for top jobs, that’s exactly who we’ve been given.

“As governor, Pence’s science denial contributed to one of the worst HIV outbreaks in Indiana’s history,” she wrote. “He is not a medical doctor. He is not a health expert. He is not qualified nor positioned in any way to protect our public health.”

Rushing to the defense of the administration the next day, Ted Cruz jumped into the fray.

“As you are speaking as the oracle of science, tell us, what exactly is a Y chromosome?” Cruz responded on Twitter. “And at what age of gestation does science tell us that an unborn child feels physical pain?”

He may have picked the wrong opponent – Ocasio-Cortez, it transpires, holds an award for microbiology from MIT.

“I’m surprised you’re asking about chromosomes given that you don’t believe in evolution,” she said.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And what of the Bernie broods that stayed home because they didn't get what they wanted?

Is there nothing to be learned from the results of their behavior?

No. Once Trump is elected, it's game over.
You agree with me, then.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post

Have you ever heard of "Never Trumpers"

If you think that the Republicans have stumbled onto a strategy for winning then you might be a little shortsighted.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Bzzzzt. WRONG!

There are hundreds of thousands (or even millions?) of Americans that can be described as the hateful right -- Stephen Miller and Trump himself, just for starters, right at the center of the White House itself. Trump rally-goers. Teabaggers. Hannity and Limbaugh are haters. Look at all the whites calling police when they see blacks in a public park or such. America is aflame with right-wing hatreds.
Bzzzt. WRONG!

There are hundreds of thousands (or even millions?) of Americans that can be described as the hateful left.[/quote]

Wow, proving stuff with anecdotes is pretty easy, I wonder why people don't use it in debates more often.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
"us" is the majority of the Democrats in this country that are going to nominate Biden because beating Trump is more important than engaging in suicidal social experiments