Old 03-05-2020, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Mike Bloomberg's TV Ads Are Still On.

I guess I can tell you all, I live in Detroit, MI.

Anyways, Mike Bloomberg's ads are still running on TV here. I know he just recently dropped out of the presidential race. But I have noticed in the past, they usually are on to these things pretty quick, pulling commercials when the time has come, I mean.

My personal theory is that he just wants to tell people he is a fit candidate, and now he endorses Biden. What the heck? It's his money, isn't it?

Have any of you noticed a similar phenomenon where you live? And what is your explanation for it?

Old 03-05-2020, 03:29 AM

Oh yeah. I'm in Tucson, AZ, and the Bloomberg ads have been constant. And these are on the cable networks like USA and Comedy Central, not just on local TV.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:14 AM

KC still had Bloomberg ads yesterday, plus I saw a Warren ad talking about Bloomberg's ad blitz at least two times.

Takes a while to pull off the stuff down, I guess.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Yup, still running in St. Louis, as well. Our primary is March 10.

I'm particularly amused by the "do you want a debater, or a doer?" tag. The people have spoken on that one.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:38 PM

He bought a lot of ad time up front. The stations are contractually obligated to run them. Silly, but there it is.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:48 PM

got a flyer for him in today's mail.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:52 PM

Yeah I had to speculate on this with a friend the other day. Here in CA Tom Steyer ads were still running on TV days after he quit the race. I think the ads were bought and paid-for well in advance of Super Tuesday, and the TV station could pull them, but why work extra hard at the last minute to fill empty spots?

Of course, we, the viewing public, will never know of they were pulled and replaced, or just ran out naturally. If someone around here worked in TV advertising, they could set us straight on this one.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 PM
SDSAB

We've gotten three pieces of mail from him here in Ohio in the past few days.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:11 AM

The Bloomberg campaign just released a new ad.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...paign=trending

It’s a good one. A straight-up anti-Trump ad, no mention of Bloomberg’s name. A new simple neutral logo, m2020. One of the last frames features a #GoJoe hashtag. It seems like an interesting campaign finance workaround.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:01 AM

you know i think some people ran this time just to get their names out for later runs for office
Old 03-06-2020, 10:36 AM

538's Geoffrey Skelley thinks that Bloomberg's campaign hasn't actually ended, just changed focus to be more anti-Trump, with some ads to support Biden as well.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...tually-ending/
Old 03-06-2020, 10:40 AM

wonder how much he paid to license all those movie clips.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:07 AM

Theyíre still running in Washington State but the ads have been more anti-Trump then pro-Bloomberg; heck some donít even seem to mention him until the end. Like, ďOh by the way Iím running for president and endorse this message.Ē

So him dropping out of the race barely has any effect on the utility of the ads.

ETA: Even before he dropped out the ads were like that. Some of them were more pro-Mike, like the ones talking about his biography and qualifications, but most were just anti-Trump.

Last edited by Atamasama; 03-06-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if it's adblockers or having a Tivo or where I live (Wisconsin), but for all the jokes, memes, comments and discussion I've heard about overwhelming his ads are, I've literally never seen a single one.
If I didn't spend time on Imgur, I wouldn't even know people have more of an issue with his ads, or at least the amount of them, than anyone else's.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
538's Geoffrey Skelley thinks that Bloomberg's campaign hasn't actually ended, just changed focus to be more anti-Trump, with some ads to support Biden as well.
If you want to get pedantic, usually no one's campaign "ends" until after the election(s) in question, as merely "suspending the campaign" still allows the candidate to spend money.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
We've gotten three pieces of mail from him here in Ohio in the past few days.
Apparently someone who used to live at this address 20+ years ago is in their target audience, as am I (I guess), so I've been lucky enough to get SIX pieces of mail from Bloomberg!

Woohoo.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
He bought a lot of ad time up front. The stations are contractually obligated to run them. Silly, but there it is.
Reminds me of the time I worked for a Department of Energy facility.

A large, old building was getting a new roof installed by a contractor. While the roof was being installed, someone in the DoE decided the building would be torn down. The DoE told the contractor to stop work on the new roof. The contractor refused because it was afraid it would not get paid for the price that was agreed upon in the contract. So the DoE had to wait for the roof to be completed and pass a full quality inspection before the building could be torn down.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I don't know if it's adblockers or having a Tivo or where I live (Wisconsin), but for all the jokes, memes, comments and discussion I've heard about overwhelming his ads are, I've literally never seen a single one.
Probably a mix of all of the above. Your presidential primary isn't for another month (April 7); ours in Illinois is on March 17, and here in Chicago, Bloomberg had been carpet-bombing us with TV and radio ads for several weeks.

My guess would be that, had he done well on Tuesday, he would have ramped up the ad spending in the later primary states like Wisconsin.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Reminds me of the time I worked for a Department of Energy facility.

A large, old building was getting a new roof installed by a contractor. While the roof was being installed, someone in the DoE decided the building would be torn down. The DoE told the contractor to stop work on the new roof. The contractor refused because it was afraid it would not get paid for the price that was agreed upon in the contract. So the DoE had to wait for the roof to be completed and pass a full quality inspection before the building could be torn down.
Stories like this are why I don't want the government to run anything more than absolutely necessary. I'm sure that everyone during the entire process including you, the quality inspectors and the workers thought doing that was absolutely insane, but nobody could call it off because doing so would have required more paperwork and regulation changes because such a thing was never contemplated by the myriad of rules governing these projects.

Further, there are too many hands involved. Why is the guy ordering a new roof not in consultation with the guy wanting the building torn down so it doesn't happen in the first place? Why doesn't the contract get turned over the lawyers and see if they were obliged to pay for a full job if they cancelled in the middle? An entity like the United States Government should be able to negotiate more favorable terms than "If you show up for one second, we pay for everything."

And if for some reason they were, try to renegotiate or worst case just pay the contractor in full and tell him to go home. Everyone has horror stories like this about the government, but it never gets fixed.

But this doesn't sound anything like that. It sounds like Bloomy had prepaid for the ads and decided to tweak them to help Biden.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
But this doesn't sound anything like that. It sounds like Bloomy had prepaid for the ads and decided to tweak them to help Biden.
I believe that Bloomberg is deeply committed to getting Trump out of the White House and that he will continue to spend.

Heís starting a new independent expenditure company to help Democratic candidates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...bbf_story.html

He started his election data, media and analytics company in Spring 2019, with the intention of using it to help Democratic candidates. Well before he decided to run.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
I believe that Bloomberg is deeply committed to getting Trump out of the White House and that he will continue to spend.

Heís starting a new independent expenditure company to help Democratic candidates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...bbf_story.html

He started his election data, media and analytics company in Spring 2019, with the intention of using it to help Democratic candidates. Well before he decided to run.
I very much agree. How is this going to work with the $2,800 limits? I know that you can create PACs but I thought it had to be more than "I'm John Smith and would like to help Joe Biden" I thought you at least had to make a pretense that it was larger issue advocacy and could not directly promote a candidate.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I very much agree. How is this going to work with the $2,800 limits? I know that you can create PACs but I thought it had to be more than "I'm John Smith and would like to help Joe Biden" I thought you at least had to make a pretense that it was larger issue advocacy and could not directly promote a candidate.
Thatís what I found so interesting about the new ad, the one I posted. Technically it is an ad from the Bloomberg campaign. Itís a straight up anti-Trump ad with no mention of any candidate name. The only Biden reference is the #GoJoe hashtag at the end.

But I think Dump Trump IS the larger issue in this case. So maybe it will be advocacy ads for healthcare, getting rid of Trump, gun control - with only passing references to the candidate. Although I think they can use footage of a candidate as long as they donít coordinate with the campaigns.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-06-2020 at 04:43 PM.