Old 03-21-2020, 10:41 AM
SDSAB

Effective elected leaders, and those who aren't, in dealing with pandemic

CNN and others have praised the governor of my state, Ohio: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/polit...nse/index.html. I didn't vote for him but think he's handled things pretty well.

Plenty of criticism of the President elsewhere, but feel free to add more here, if you wish.

How is your governor, mayor or other top elected leader doing where you live?
Old 03-21-2020, 11:23 AM

An interesting article comparing the leadership of Angela Merkel with that of Donald Trump: The Leader of the Free World Gives a Speech, and She Nails It.

That doesn't mean that everything works well in Germany fighting the virus, the federal system means that there are differences in the approach in the different states where a countrywide coordination would be important, but that's what you pay for a federal state. But all in all, I still don't feel the need to panic and trust our government in doing the right measures.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:35 AM

Can't help wondering what is going on in Russia, I simply cannot believe they do not have a problem given their borders with China, I think they are lying about their figures - good old Putin , he doesn't want anything to interfere with his plans to change the constitution so that he can maintain his grip on power

https://www.ft.com/content/b8141e08-...d-da70cff6e4d3

Iran - they have lied and lied again, to such an extent that their own people are just ignoring them

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/19...merica-israel/

These are supposed to be 'elected leaders'

Last edited by casdave; 03-21-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:27 PM

Can we please stop the xenophobic "lying about their figures" crap. It's basically impossible to hide a large group of sick people.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:10 PM

How about ineffective appointed leaders? Should they be discussed in a different thread or may we discuss them here? (Anyway, charges against Redfield, if he is incompetent, can be laid on the POTUS who appointed him in 2018.)

The Atlantic has a good article on poor U.S. response to the virus. It makes the CDC, led by Robert Redfield, look bad. Wiki'ing Redfield tells us he's a homophobe endorsed by Evangelists and has been accused of fraud. Wiki leads to an article titled "Meet Trump's new homophobic public health quack" and to an article at Poz.com:

Quote:
Donald Trump has nominated Dr. Robert Redfield to head the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In the early ’90s, Dr. Redfield was accused of scientific fraud by the U.S. Army concerning AIDS vaccine research, which is cause for some concern....
However, I am more concerned about his intimate, decades-long relationship with the leaders of the organization the Army criticized him for having an “inappropriate close relationship” with, that led to those scientific fraud charges, than I am with the fraud charges themselves.
That organization is “Americans for a Sound AIDS Policy” (ASAP), founded and led by ultra-right conservative anti-gay activists Shepherd and Anita Smith....
Dr. Redfield has been one of if not their closest allies in government; he served on ASAP’s board and he still serves on CAFI’s board today. The Smiths, their organizations and their ultra-right “Christian” activism are largely unknown to the public, but they have been a powerful behind-the-scenes player, currying favor with HIV policy leaders in government in large part because of their ability to deliver evangelical/Christian Right votes in Congress for appropriations.
ETA: CNN
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/13/o...ett/index.html

Last edited by septimus; 03-21-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:39 PM

AK84
Quote:
Can we please stop the xenophobic "lying about their figures" crap. It's basically impossible to hide a large group of sick people.
OK then, you make credible counter claims about the figures and the cites I have offered.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:54 PM

Indiana is doing surprisingly well. For a state where many voters reject science and experts, our governor is taking the issue seriously.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:58 PM

Lake Worth Beach city commission meeting (2:17 video); I'll let y'all decide who is an effective leader and who is not.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Doctors in Russia are the ones saying the government is lying. Coronavirus cases are really low, but pneumonia cases are spiking.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN216305

Also its kind of silly to assume its xenophobic to say a foreign government is lying. Putin lies all the time. He said he wasn't involved in election hacking. The Chinese government tried to cover up the virus.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Well, that's just not what is being claimed, is it? What's bieng claimed is that governments are lying about the numbers.

Russia claims 253 cases last I checked. If in fact it's 2,530, and they're just lying about that number and classifying sick people as having the flu or pneumonia, how is that hard to hide? In a country with almost 150 million people, a number like that is easily fudged. Who else could prove it false?
Old 03-21-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Lake Worth Beach city commission meeting (2:17 video); I'll let y'all decide who is an effective leader and who is not.
Holy Shit.

I'm so glad I wasn't in that room.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:19 PM

This is very hard to judge at this point.

Ideally, no one would underreact to the crisis. Overreaction would thus be inevitable, but a greater overreaction inflicts longer economic damage. Reacting sooner is better, but overreacting sooner may not be.

I think Trudeau in Canada has done a reasonably good job all things considered. But in 1-4 weeks we will better be able to look at this.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Indiana is doing surprisingly well. For a state where many voters reject science and experts, our governor is taking the issue seriously.
I agree Eric Holcomb is doing well and would like to add Andy Beshear from Kentucky to the list.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:36 PM

The Australian Prime Minster is a "glass half full" guy, kinda of close to being a "prosperity gospel" guy. He personally believes that things are gonna turn out ok, and that a little faith in the government and in the invisible hand of the market is a good thing. And he is mostly correct: it is known that adults are mostly sub-optimally pessimistic, and that we tend towards better outcomes if we take larger risks. Unless it all goes to shit.

So he's doing ok, but they should have started small restrictions and reduced overseas travel much earlier, and it's hard not to think that his general "she'll be right mate" approach has contributed to the present 1000+ case load in Australia.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
I think Trudeau in Canada has done a reasonably good job all things considered. But in 1-4 weeks we will better be able to look at this.

Comparing the Canadian and US responses makes me glad to have reasonable people running things here. The difference in tone between the professionalism of Canada and Trump's whiny, blame-everyone-but-him, "Can't someone else do it?" routine is stark.

Hell, even Doug Ford, whom I usually cannot stand, has been making the right calls. Trump is so bad, he's making Ford look like a genius in comparison.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
That doesn't prevent the Chinese Communist Party from trying.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:08 PM

I think Gavin Newsom is doing a good job.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:16 PM

Nevada Gov. Sisolak isn't doing a bad job, but he should have shut down gatherings before ConExpo/ConAg brought 100k+ people to Las Vegas for a week. As it is, the show shut down a day early, but by then, the damage was prolly already done. IMO he was never supposed to be more than a figurehead/placeholder tho, so I suppose this is the best he could hope to do.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Holy Shit.

I'm so glad I wasn't in that room.
ikr

Mayor Triolo can go suck on a tailpipe.

Commissioner Hardy totally fucking rocks, tho.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:29 PM

I've been impressed with J.B. Pritzker and I say that as one who did not vote for him. He's made tough decisions, explained his thought process and then stood by those decisions. He was one of the first governors to call out the Trump Administration and their lack of leadership.. The only thing he hasn't done is found a way to levy a new tax around this whole thing. I'm sure he's working on that as we speak.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:00 PM
SDSAB

Please specify what state, province or region you're writing about (Pritzker is Governor of Illinois), for instance. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2020, 09:44 AM

The most effective leaders are the ones who were well prepared to deal with this pandemic. Not the ones caught by surprise.

Singapore had a swift and coordinated response that pretty much contained the virus better than any other country. They learned from previous outbreaks and were closely monitoring China in case something happened again. When reports of this virus appeared in China, they began preparing and started tracking and containing infected people.

The latest reports out of Singapore is two deaths and infections that were mostly imported cases.

Of course the population of Singapore is less than 6 million, so it shouldn't be compared to countries with vastly more people. However, the response was certainly far more sophisticated than what we saw from other countries.

In my State, Governor Coumo (New York) is doing a good job increasing testing of the virus and informing the public of the State's response to the crisis. However, this is all the response of a leader caught off guard. We don't yet have the medical capacity to deal with the growing number of patients.

Still miles better than the response from our President who can't even hold a press conference without confusing everyone.

Last edited by Lakai; 03-22-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:52 AM

I'm not a big fan of Governor Murphy, (New Jersey). He did very well in his address yesterday. The 6 officials on stage were 6' apart. He answered question, even stupid questions well. He chided one reporter for coughing into his hand and told to go wash up. He is taking the situation very seriously.

The have done a good job of locating extra critical care beds and are working with the Army Core of Engineers to open MASH units in South Jersey where Hospital are much more scarce. (yes, NJ has rural areas, shocking I know)

There going to reopen some recently closed hospitals. Not an easy task but one that needs to be done. They've starting opening special drive through testing centers.

Governor admitted we're basically at war with COVID-19 now as he gave the orders to lock down the state.

So yesterday, Murphy won me over. Oh, I did vote for him, but not with enthusiasm for sure.