Old 03-24-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Normally, overnight, while we continue to serve customers there aren't many so most of what the night crew does is re-stock and clean. That is in normal times. But for two weeks the night hours, even the 2 am and 3 am time slots, are seeing as many customers as a typical daytime afternoon. That means the people there to stock/clean were instead at cash registers checking out customers leaving them no time to stock or clean.
This is a really important observation.

Normally a 24-hour store can count on there being not much traffic in the wee hours. When people are regularly buying up all the stock, though, you're going to get traffic spikes whenever the trucks arrive, which is going to be problematic. Better to just close down to restock and have more predictable traffic patterns.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
The employees in grocery stores are affected just as much as everyone else. They have kids who arenít at school. They may have spouses who have lost jobs, elderly parents who need help, like food and vital supplies brought to them rather than leaving home.

On top of that, the supply system is disrupted. They have to learn and apply new cleaning and disinfecting techniques.

Thereís also the fatigue factor for those working under new and stressful conditions, where no matter how much social distancing is tried, they are dealing with large numbers of the public, more than most other people.

Frankly, Iím amazed that such a vital essential service is still functioning. Shorter hours is a reasonable way to deal with a tired workforce.

Iím very grateful to the food stores and all their employees for doing so well in a time of crisis.

They are probably the single most essential service.
Iím not the only one who feels this way. Check out todayís editorial cartoon in the Toronto Star.

Thanks, Broomstick, and any other retail Dopers working to keep us fed and healthy!
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 PM

I've been avoiding stores for over a week now, between fearing the frenzied crowds and having developed ominous symptoms on Friday myself (I do not qualify for testing at this point. I'm only 50, no prior health issues, no known contact with a tested positive). One problem I'm hearing from people I know who do work in retail is outright abuse from customers, especially cashiers/managers who have to enforce quantity limits so the hoarders have to leave some for others.