Old 03-17-2020, 05:44 PM

Maybe Newton can go to NE or Chicago.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Is the Brady to Tampa Bay a tax thing for him? That’s all I can think of.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:47 AM

Phillip Rivers is officially a Colt. 1 year/$25 mil
Old 03-18-2020, 10:34 AM

So it's still early in free agency, but I won't let little things like a lack of information keep me from offering my opinion. Some general thoughts:

1) Money conscious Packers lose more than they gain. Packers lose Brian Bulaga, Blake Martinez, and Kyler Fackrell, and sign Ricky Wagner and Christian Kirksey. A net loss. Bulaga is a very good pass protector and knows the system, but given his injury history and age, it makes sense to let someone else pay him. Martinez is a tackling machine, but a liability in the passing game and not worth the money, and Fackrell is just a body. Wagner is a downgrade at tackle, but should be OK and Kirksey is mediocre at best. Both were clearly desperation need signings and that's not a great way to deal with free agency.

2) On the plus side, the Bears are certainly fucking up enough. Giving gimpy, old, and tired Jimmy Graham $9 million guaranteed and paying him as top 10 TE was a huge waste of limited cap space. And I know Omni is likely excited, but making 29 year old Robert Quinn the 15th highest paid D lineman is ... very generous. Clearly they're all in on making a Super Bowl run this year, but I'm not sure Quinn's resurgence last year will continue this year, especially in a 3-4 defense. It did make me smile that the Bears also cut ties with their #7 draft pick and perennially over-rated Leonard Floyd. Heh.

3) Another team making a run this year is the Colts. I liked their resigning of Castonzo to keep a great O line afloat and getting Rivers to QB for a year is smart. They then traded their #13 pick in this draft and paid big money to DeForrest Buckner, one of the better interior defenders in the NFL. While a first round pick is a bit high (unless you compare it to the Bears getting Mack, when they gave up 2 first rounders) for a one year rental, I think he'll add great value and make the Colts the likely winner of their division next year.

4) Texans are a fucking mess.

5) With Brady, Rivers, Mariota, and Newton all likely to be with new teams this year, the market for QB's seems to be much more rational so far (at least until the Cowboys overpay Prescott). It may be just the "younger is always better", but teams seem more willing to allow QB's to go rather than overpay them. Should be an interesting year, especially with the Panthers, who opt for Teddy Bridgewater over Cam Newton.

6) I kinda like the Brown's actions so far. Getting Jack Conklin was awesome (after they fucked the goose and let Mitchell Schwartz go and win a Super Bowl), and locking in a backup QB is fine. I'm iffy on the Hooper signing, because he doesn't seem like a game changer to me.

7) My temporary adopted team, the Bills, added some ... problematic ... players. Josh Norman and Mario Addison are on a downward trend, and Stefon Diggs, while very good, has some attitude issues that hastened his leaving the Vikings. Should be interesting to see how, if Diggs gets all pissy at Cousins, how he'll react to Josh Allen's deep accuracy issues. Although I'm thinking Diggs will be very helpful in the short and intermediate routes that Allen can actually throw. The loss of a first round draft pick though may be tough to swallow.

I'm sure they'll be more to come.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:26 PM

nm

Last edited by Kearsen1; 03-18-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The Bears just acquired Nick Foles from the Jaguars, sending Jacksonville a compensatory 4th round draft pick.

Chicago Tribune story: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...mna-story.html

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-18-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post

3) Another team making a run this year is the Colts. I liked their resigning of Castonzo to keep a great O line afloat and getting Rivers to QB for a year is smart. They then traded their #13 pick in this draft and paid big money to DeForrest Buckner, one of the better interior defenders in the NFL. While a first round pick is a bit high (unless you compare it to the Bears getting Mack, when they gave up 2 first rounders) for a one year rental, I think he'll add great value and make the Colts the likely winner of their division next year.

Buckner got a five-year deal from the Colts worth $21 million a year, he's not a rental.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The Bears just acquired Nick Foles from the Jaguars, sending Jacksonville a compensatory 4th round draft pick.

Chicago Tribune story: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...mna-story.html
Strangely this is one of the scenarios that I omitted from my rant earlier in the thread.

First, I hate it. I really really hate it. BUT, of all the non-Mitch+draft pick scenarios that have been speculated I think I hate this one the least. Why is this palatable?
  1. Foles was a fucking Super Bowl MVP beating Belichick. Certainly it's probably a fluke, but it might not be. Compared to Dalton, Jameis, Cam, Teddy and Mariota I'd bet on Foles to get another ring before any of those guys.
  2. Foles was lights out for 2 stretches in his career. In 2013 he had the best TD-INT ratio in history. In 2018 we know what happened. There's at least a chance that's real and it happened under Reid and Peterson, guys Nagy is closest to philosophically.
  3. This is about as little as you can give up for a starting caliber QB. Just a 4th....I feared so much worse from Pace here.
  4. The money is rough, but it's basically a 1 year gamble. I have no idea how we're squeezing him under the cap this year and i'll probably cost us someone on the roster eventually, but we can cut him next year with just $5M dead cap.

But to reiterate, I HATE this move. It's burning resources that we can't spare. This combined with that idiotic Jimmy Graham deal make it absolutely clear that Pace needs to be fired immediately.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Buckner got a five-year deal from the Colts worth $21 million a year, he's not a rental.
He was due to be a free agent after this year, at which point, the Colts could have simply gave him that contract (he's now the second highest paid interior lineman after Aaron Donald). They get one year out of him that they couldn't have gotten by waiting and paying him next year.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
5) With Brady, Rivers, Mariota, and Newton all likely to be with new teams this year, the market for QB's seems to be much more rational so far (at least until the Cowboys overpay Prescott)
Prescott got franchise tagged.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:34 AM

Just saw that the NFL has made NFL Game Pass free for until what appears to be May 31st as something for fans to do while sheltering in place.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Just saw that the NFL has made NFL Game Pass free for until what appears to be May 31st as something for fans to do while sheltering in place.
I was just remembering that Iíd paid for that since I was working Sundays last season until I got laid off. Itíll be interesting to revisit some games, Iím doing basically the same thing with every sport.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Prescott got franchise tagged.
Do you think the Cowboys wont give Dak a long term contract?
Old 03-19-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Not at the price he was asking or he wouldnít get the tag.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Not at the price he was asking or he wouldnít get the tag.
Of course not. Otherwise the contract would have been done already. But do you believe they wont sign him to a long term contract?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Not this year. Isn't that how franchise tags work? (He asks, not quite sure of the answer...)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:00 PM

Personally, I'm surprised that T.B. and P.R. have been signed by other teams. I would've thought that all the examples from over the decades of older players not fulfilling expectations late in their career after switching to a different team would've given teams like T.B. and Indy reason to not sign those guys, but. . .apparently not.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:10 PM

Off the top of my head:

Peyton Manning won a Superbowl with the Broncos.
Alex Smith did pretty well with the...Chiefs, I think?
Vinny Testaverde got to the conference championship with the Jets.
Joe Montana got to the conference championship with the Chiefs.

I'm having trouble thinking of an example of an old QB going to a different team (as the starter) and NOT having success.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 03-19-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:31 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Off the top of my head:

I'm having trouble thinking of an example of an old QB going to a different team (as the starter) and NOT having success.
Also, Brett Favre got to the NFC Championship Game with the Vikings (and was one bad pass away from the Super Bowl).

The archetypical examples of old QBs going to a different team in the twilight of their careers and being bad have long been Johnny Unitas (1973 Chargers) and Joe Namath (1977 Rams). But, Unitas had not been particularly effective in his final two years in Baltimore, and was only a part-time starter in those seasons, and Namath, too, had gone through several poor years with the Jets before going to Los Angeles.

Also, note that both of those examples are now over 40 years old.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-19-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Not this year. Isn't that how franchise tags work? (He asks, not quite sure of the answer...)
Once a player is tagged by a team, they have until July 15 to sign a long-term deal. If they don't, they get the 1-year contract at the price specified by the tag.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I'm a Packers season ticket holder; every year, I get an email from them in late February, reminding me that my ticket payment is due by the end of March. I got that email a few weeks ago, of course.

Yesterday, however, I got another email from the Packers, indicating that they were pushing the payment deadline out to June 1st; in the email, they specifically mentioned the financial pressures that the COVID-19 pandemic is placing on people as the reason for the extension.

I admit I've become ambivalent about football for a lot of reasons over the past few years, but dang, I do appreciate how the Packers operate.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-19-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Off the top of my head:

It probably depends on what you call "old". There's a million examples of QBs not getting brought back by the team they had success with and having a couple mediocre to miserable years at their final stop.

Matt Hesselbeck in Tennessee. Warren Moon in Seattle. Steve McNair in Baltimore. Dave Krieg in Seattle and Chicago. Randall Cunningham in Dallas and Baltimore. Bernie Kosar in Miami. Boomer Esiason in New York. Jim Harbaugh in San Diego. Ken Stabler in New Orleans. Mark Brunell in Washington. Drew Bledsoe in Dallas.

Certainly no one compares to Tom Brady and many of these examples had deteriorated to injury prone backups at the tail end of their careers, but the guys you picked I think can safely be called exceptions to the rule.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:05 PM

I qualified with "as a starter." Cunningham appears to have just been a backup in Dallas and Baltimore.

Bledsoe appears to have played one good year in Dallas, posting similar numbers as he always had, and then got benched the following year for Romo. That kind of sounds like a success to me, compared to examples like Namath.

I didn't bother checking any of your other examples, but there's so many that I concede your point.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Every situation is different of course. But it's a very select few QBs that get to retire with the team they succeeded with on their own terms. This invariably means one of two things for all previously winning QBs...were forced to retire or they went and got a late-career contract from another team. In most cases it's the latter. Some came in to "compete" and never got past being a backup. Some managed to hold on for 1 more not-terrible season before the wheels came off. Some were simply cooked and are an albatross pretty much from day one.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Personally, I'm surprised that T.B. and P.R. have been signed by other teams. I would've thought that all the examples from over the decades of older players not fulfilling expectations late in their career after switching to a different team would've given teams like T.B. and Indy reason to not sign those guys, but. . .apparently not.
The TB12 jersey sales alone will probably pay for Brady's contract.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I'm a Packers season ticket holder; every year, I get an email from them in late February, reminding me that my ticket payment is due by the end of March. I got that email a few weeks ago, of course.

Yesterday, however, I got another email from the Packers, indicating that they were pushing the payment deadline out to June 1st; in the email, they specifically mentioned the financial pressures that the COVID-19 pandemic is placing on people as the reason for the extension.

I admit I've become ambivalent about football for a lot of reasons over the past few years, but dang, I do appreciate how the Packers operate.
If I didn't live in the state that almost came to be called "Columbia" once upon a time the Green Bay Packers would probably be my favorite N.F.L. team for the very reason you stated.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
It could happen, but I expect if it was going to happen it would have by now. Using the tag is Dallasís way to say that theyíre not going to be able to come to terms with Dak, but still want him as their starter.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:06 PM

Since the board is broken and hasn’t let me edit my post for the past 10 minutes I have to add this as a new post...

According to ESPN Dak likes having the tag, and prefers it over a long term deal.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...wns-fans-happy
To me that means it is guaranteed that he’s not going to sign a longer contract with Dallas, and is hoping for a big paycheck next year (with them or elsewhere). I hope he does well this year or that’ll backfire.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Since the board is broken and hasnít let me edit my post for the past 10 minutes I have to add this as a new post...

According to ESPN Dak likes having the tag, and prefers it over a long term deal.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...wns-fans-happy
To me that means it is guaranteed that heís not going to sign a longer contract with Dallas, and is hoping for a big paycheck next year (with them or elsewhere). I hope he does well this year or thatíll backfire.
In Dallas, he has a fantastic offensive line, a great running game, a true #1 receiver and a group of solid pass catchers, and one of the easiest schedules in the NFL in 2020. He's all set up to have another good statistical year.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:31 PM

Well, things could have gone better for Melvin Gordon. Last year, he rejected a deal that would have paid him 10 million a year and instead held out.

He just now signed a 2 year contract paying him 8 million a year in Denver.

Oops.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
In Dallas, he has a fantastic offensive line, a great running game, a true #1 receiver and a group of solid pass catchers, and one of the easiest schedules in the NFL in 2020. He's all set up to have another good statistical year.
I agree. I think heís an underrated QB, his stats are consistently good. If heís in a prove-it year I would be encouraged if I was a Cowboys fan.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I agree. I think heís an underrated QB, his stats are consistently good. If heís in a prove-it year I would be encouraged if I was a Cowboys fan.
Heh. Maybe NOT so much, now: https://sports.yahoo.com/cowboys-off...233415898.html
Old 03-24-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Maybe Newton can go to NE or Chicago.
(S)Cam Newton is much like our current Prez: all about himself. If I had my 'druthers he'd either A) draw absolutely NO interest from any other N.F.L. team, ever again, and be forced to retire or B) he'd end up in either Cincinnatus, Miami, or playing his home games at FedEx Field.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Oops, sorry Dallas for jinxing you.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
(S)Cam Newton is much like our current Prez: all about himself. If I had my 'druthers he'd either A) draw absolutely NO interest from any other N.F.L. team, ever again, and be forced to retire or B) he'd end up in either Cincinnatus, Miami, or playing his home games at FedEx Field.
Who would want Newton? The guy is gonna pout if heís a backup. I donít see an RG III redemption in Cam, RG III thought very highly of himself and his Ďbrandí but became humble enough.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Who would want Newton? The guy is gonna pout if heís a backup. I donít see an RG III redemption in Cam, RG III thought very highly of himself and his Ďbrandí but became humble enough.
I completely agree with you. He's not gonna want to go anywhere where he can't be the starter since he obviously thinks so highly of himself. Thankfully my Seahawks are set at starting QB so I see no reason why they would want to go after him (or, if they did, why he would accept the offer).
Old 03-25-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Don't try to send that guy to my team! We're taking Burrow!
Old 03-28-2020, 01:34 PM

Kirk Herbstreit says he does not expect college or pro FB in 2020. I think that is most likely true. Probably no high school sports either.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/kir...ll-season.html
Old 03-28-2020, 02:41 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I spoke with my father today; he still lives in Green Bay, where they are all feeling starved for Packers news, as a distraction, if nothing else.

He told me about a story which had just come out, about Aaron Rodgers, who had been vacationing in Peru, and barely got back out before Peru shut its borders.

Story in the Green Bay Press-Gazette: https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ir/2928055001/

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-28-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Kirk Herbstreit says he does not expect college or pro FB in 2020. I think that is most likely true. Probably no high school sports either.

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/kir...ll-season.html
I wonder how the draft/trades being done now will be handled if they donít play this year...
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

https://deadline.com/2020/03/nfl-pla...es-1202896801/

I hope they get Mike O'Malley as an announcer.

Last edited by CastletonSnob; Yesterday at 04:46 PM.