Old 03-24-2020, 08:50 AM

Dr. Anthony Fauci is his job safe?

Dr Fauci is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Is that job an appointment by the President? Can Fauci be summarily dismissed by displeasing POTUS?

Fauci is also a member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force. That of course is by appointment.

Dr Fauci has missed the last two press briefings. He's in a difficult position trying to advise the President.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-24-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 AM

I suspect the only reason he hasn't been fired already is that it would look bad.

He's gone. Trump is very Stalinist in his views on loyalty.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:11 AM

He's in a very precarious position. He has to put the facts out there, but at the same time he knows he can't push back too hard against Trump, and that he has to kiss his ass at least a little bit. Otherwise, Trump will not hesitate to throw him under the bus, and probably appoint some feckless toady in his place.

After all this is over, I imagine he could write a pretty fascinating tell-all about what's going on behind the scenes.

Last edited by joebuck20; 03-24-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:16 AM

I think he'll be banished from the press conferences from now on. I don't think he will last much longer in his job.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Is anyone else really hoping that he just throws up his hands at a conference and say, "He's an idiot, don't listen to him. Fuck this shit I'm out." Because that would be awesome to see. Though I know we need the guy as he knows what's going on.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:51 AM

Dr Fauci is the most experienced member of the Coronavirus Task force. He's fought AIDS,SARS,Ebola etc.

The country is lucky to have his expertise.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Dr Fauci is the most experienced member of the Coronavirus Task force. He's fought AIDS,SARS,Ebola etc.

The country is lucky to have his expertise.
Unfortunately, no one can survive extended exposure to the Orange Pestilence.

Victims are either indoctrinated or fired.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
Is anyone else really hoping that he just throws up his hands at a conference and say, "He's an idiot, don't listen to him. Fuck this shit I'm out." Because that would be awesome to see. Though I know we need the guy as he knows what's going on.
I would contribute to his GoFundMe and/or Patreon if he did that.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:58 AM

He wont' be at any more press conferences. That's not me being prophetic, that's just the sun rising in the east, so he won't be doing anything at any future press conferences. He'll be gone when Trump figures everyone's attention is elsewhere, just like he'll be up to other things while the coronavirus is terrifying everyone. There's something deeply wrong with that man, but he, or his advisors, have a mean sort of cunning.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I'd love it if he pushed Trump away from the podium and said, "Yo, Trump, I'm really happy for you. Imma let you finish, but I gotta tell people to ignore everything you have to say first!"
Old 03-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Trump is now referring to the outbreak in the past tense. Fauci doesn't need to worry, it's all over already.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Nobody's job is safe in that team. Except Pence until at least next January and if I were him I'd be watching my back until the ballots are printed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
He wont' be at any more press conferences. That's not me being prophetic, that's just the sun rising in the east, so he won't be doing anything at any future press conferences. He'll be gone when Trump figures everyone's attention is elsewhere, just like he'll be up to other things while the coronavirus is terrifying everyone. There's something deeply wrong with that man, but he, or his advisors, have a mean sort of cunning.
Yup. He'll be gone when no one's looking. If he's very, very lucky Trump will just act as if he never met him, rather than call him disrespectful, disgraceful, not very competent, low ranking and to blame for the mistakes.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 03-24-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:23 PM

Fauci has advised four presidents and has widespread credibility. Obviously, contradicting Trump carries risks. Firing him during the crisis would further harm Trump. Realizing this, once things eventually settle down Fauci might leave by choice or otherwise.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I hope not. He has largely been the continuity that has kept NIAID funded and focused, and I desperately hope that he has the fortitude to persevere because his expertise is going to be needed to rebuild and improve our response system to deal with the next outbreak. Regardless, he is clearly in line to receive a Presidential Medal of Freedom from whomever succeeds Trump, not in the least for not decking out Trump where he stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
Fauci has advised four presidents and has widespread credibility. Obviously, contradicting Trump carries risks. Firing him during the crisis would further harm Trump. Realizing this, once things eventually settle down Fauci might leave by choice or otherwise.
Trump cares almost nothing for looking bad; he just blames it on someone else and moves on. It would not shock me at all if he fired Dr. Fauci in the middle of this crisis and appointed Drunk White House Doctor or even Jared Kushner to replace him because he is literally that oblivious.

Stranger
Old 03-24-2020, 03:37 PM

He's 79 so he might not mind not working. If he was fired he could go on TV and say whatever he wants so he might prefer that.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Is that job an appointment by the President? Can Fauci be summarily dismissed by displeasing POTUS?
It is not on this wiki list of positions presidentially appointed. His immediate boss, the director of the National Institutes of Health, is appointed. That likely means that Fauci is Senior Executive Service (SES).

By law, it is relatively hard to remove SES.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
He's 79 so he might not mind not working. If he was fired he could go on TV and say whatever he wants so he might prefer that.
Dr. Fauci hasn’t kept working as director of NIAID because he needs the money. He’s the exemplar of public service who has spent decades trying to get politicians and the general public to be aware of the threat of transmissible epidemic disease as well as a legacy of both administration of the NIAID under six presidents and an extensive amount of scientific research in infectious disease, rheumatism, and allergy for which he is extensively cited in medical and infectious disease literature. He’s also an primary editor of the ubiquitous Harrison’s series of handbooks and medical manuals. He’s not looking to make a career as a pundit in CNN.com “roundtable discussion”.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 03-24-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:52 PM

Fauci is back at the press conference! I think the bad press of the last few briefings may have swayed Trump.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:02 PM

I came here also to report that Fauci is not only at today's task force briefing, he's SPEAKING.

I wish he would tell Trump to STFU. I'd gladly contribute to his GoFundMe.

Deborah Birk is the WH token doctor on the task force. She opened her mouth and proved she's been drinking the Orange koolaid. She is "encouraged" that fewer people are dying in Italy.

They are still dying, just a few less today.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 03-24-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Holy shit, trumpie is letting experts speak. Including Fauci right this moment
Old 03-24-2020, 05:07 PM

50% of Americans and 89% of Republicans reportedly think Trump has done a good job of handling this crisis.

In unrelated news, I was listening to a comedy show and they discussed the emojis that should exist but dont - like a gun to the head.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:14 PM

These guidelines Pence is waving around: why haven't they been mailed to every household in the US, like Surgeon General Koop's infamous report on AIDS?

~VOW
Old 03-24-2020, 05:16 PM

Birx was career Army MD and retired a colonel. She also was head of CDC AIDS group for 9 years. Obama appointed her ambassador for AIDS. I don't think she's necessarily a Trumper.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
These guidelines Pence is waving around: why haven't they been mailed to every household in the US, like Surgeon General Koop's infamous report on AIDS?

~VOW
Because they're blank sheets of paper?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Spinning like crazy though. Throwing out numbers that sound big like FEMA sending 4,000 ventilators to NYC when news reports pin the need at 24,000. Apple donating 9M masks - that's probably less than 1 day's health care requirement. It will take weeks for the military hospital ship to reach NY.

Walking back the reopen for Easter comments as fast as he can. But still talking total shite
Old 03-24-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
50% of Americans and 89% of Republicans reportedly think Trump has done a good job of handling this crisis.

In unrelated news, I was listening to a comedy show and they discussed the emojis that should exist but dont - like a gun to the head.
My wife, who's no fan, thinks he's done a good job, and I haven't been able to dissuade her yet. There was about a day when I thought he might just be getting it, around the emergency declaration. Nope, he ducked that up, too.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Great prediction. Definitely not prophetic.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post

~VOW
I got my postcard in the mail yesterday. I'm saving it for posterity. Fucking fascist bullshit thing says "President Trump's Coronavirus Guidelines For America".

Like that asshole had anything to do with it.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-24-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 PM

I'm relieved that Dr Fauci is still part of the team. The country needs his expertise. Hopefully Trump will at least listen to and consider some of the doctors recommendations.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:04 PM

If Fauci gets thrown under the bus, I hope he immediately goes on air for the resistance. He has ten times the credibility of the POTUS*.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
He's in a very precarious position. He has to put the facts out there, but at the same time he knows he can't push back too hard against Trump, and ....
And these two goals are 100% at odds.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 PM

He was getting higher ratings than Donnie 2 scoops. That can't be tolerated.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 AM

Did Fauci do another face palm today, barely noticeable behind the cheeto?
Old 03-25-2020, 01:21 AM

I saw the postcard. Sheesh. Pence was waving around a multi-page 8-1/211 booklet. Maybe it has pictures so Pence can understand it.

The very first line on that postcard should read: wash your hands!

~VOW
Old 03-25-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
I think he'll be banished from the press conferences from now on. I don't think he will last much longer in his job.
My streak of wrong predictions lives on!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:30 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
My streak of wrong predictions lives on!
Quick! Predict a Trump win! Please!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Fauci isn't a Facist Dumbshit. Of course his job isn't safe.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Double post.

Last edited by AK84; 03-25-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Regardless, he is clearly in line to receive a Presidential Medal of Freedom from whomever succeeds Trump, not in the least for not decking out Trump where he stands.
That standard would require several million medals to be cast to fulfill the need for all deserving people.