Old 03-12-2020, 07:57 PM

What sports will still be going on over the next month?

The PGA and the Masters have still insisted they will play without fans. NASCAR the same. Both as of now.

If you consider wrestling a “sport” AEW is still moving forward with its weekly TNT show, though I believe they are switching venues for one card and limiting attendance. WWE is insisting that WrestleMania is going as scheduled but I feel as if the state of Florida will have something to say about that.

Any others in North America? What about countries that have not been affected? A few countries in Central America have not been hit yet, as well as several African nations. I imagine they are still playing soccer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 AM

In motorsports, Formula 1 cancelled it's season opener in Australia, but the next race in Bahrain is still scheduled to run without fan attendance. IndyCar is still going on this weekend and like NASCAR, also without spectators. The World Rally round in Mexico is still running as planned, I'm guessing the reason being that the point-to-point nature of rallying doesn't concentrate crowds in grandstands like circuit racing does. That's just speculation on my part, though.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 AM

Football is now done in the UK. Announced this morning that there will be a 3 week postponement of fixtures to be reviewed early April, but there's zero chance of a restart IMHO as the virus is certain to escalate.

Some interesting questions to be answered concerning promotion, relegation, and title winners.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar View Post
In motorsports, Formula 1 cancelled it's season opener in Australia, but the next race in Bahrain is still scheduled to run without fan attendance. IndyCar is still going on this weekend and like NASCAR, also without spectators. The World Rally round in Mexico is still running as planned, I'm guessing the reason being that the point-to-point nature of rallying doesn't concentrate crowds in grandstands like circuit racing does. That's just speculation on my part, though.
A update, the next three F1 Grands Prix - Bahrain, Vietnam, and China - have all been cancelled. The season now will start no earlier than the Dutch Grand Prix in May.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

The soccer app that I use shows pretty much every league in the world. Pretty much everything major for Saturday shows cancelled - the only exceptions I see are the Australian A-League, the Russian Premier League and the Turkish Super Lig.
I think some cups may be still going on in South America - I don't think their regular league seasons start till May.

NASCAR has already been mentioned. I would bet they cancel today though.

Apparently Australian rugby is still playing in front of fans at least for this weekend.

Some horse racing, I think.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:25 AM

I was wondering about the Saturday Night Fights on Fox.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:57 AM

NASCAR "postponed" the next two weekends about an hour or so ago. Listening to ESPN in the background, sounds like UFC is still going forward. Other than that, their only non-coronavirus related highlight so far was some guy throwing a football 60 yards while standing flatfooted.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:09 PM

Masters has been postponed but the new date is not announced yet.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The Phoenix Suns announced this morning that they are going to "play" their remaining games using the NBA 2K video game, and stream the games live on Twitch.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...on/5041330002/

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-13-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:41 PM

Cricket:
Most tours are being cancelled and or rescheduled.
The Indian Premier League has been delayed till April 15th.
Pakistan Super League allowed foreign players to leave earlier. To be played behind closed doors and the games played earlier. The final on 22nd March (which I had tickets for) is now to be a closed game on the 17th.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Masters has been postponed but the new date is not announced yet.
One played in fall colors would be...interesting. [Before someone chimes in, they shut the course down in the summer so that's out]

It probably severely porks Tiger's chances of catching Jack, tho; every tournament thru his 50th birthday is crucial, and losing upwards of four shots will likely seal the deal. [nobody has won more than one major from Tiger's current age on]
Old 03-13-2020, 04:32 PM

Yachting? That's about the only (mostly) non-spectator competitive sport I can think of.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:07 PM

There is still some horse racing going on, but a lot of tracks have already closed.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I was at my local sports bar last night. Normally, we'd be watching hockey, baseball, spring training baseball, and perhaps one or two others. But without any of those, last night was a little weird, with lots of talking heads sitting behind desks discussing the impact of shutting down most sports, and showing highlights of the season so far. One channel was replaying spring training baseball games.

Still, there was curling, but it was a championship tournament, so I doubt we'll see much more of that. There was also some kind of MMA being shown.

The talking heads, MMA, and curling got boring quickly, though; so, we went through the channel guide, and ended up with the Fireplace Channel, the Aquarium Channel, and playing along with the Jeopardy game show. A little different, and kind of fun, but I'm not sure how long it will be before that novelty wears off.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boffking View Post
There is still some horse racing going on, but a lot of tracks have already closed.
Not quite closed--there seems to be racing happening still, just without spectators. I found this at the Daily Racing Form:

Quote:
... on Thursday and Friday [i.e. March 12 and 13], nearly every racetrack currently running a live meet barred the doors to its facilities indefinitely, citing public health guidance related to the coronavirus outbreak. The list of Thoroughbred tracks that barred spectators included Aqueduct, Santa Anita, Golden Gate, Gulfstream, Laurel Park, Los Alamitos, Turfway, Tampa Bay Downs, Sam Houston, and Oaklawn Park.
I would presume that wagering is still being allowed, through off-track facilities, teletheatres, race books, and similar facilities.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:21 PM

The NRL, AFL and cricket are playing on for now, albeit behind closed doors. Won't last long I shouldn't think.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:38 AM

Pakistan Super League is going on without spectators on Willow.

ESPN showed a comical highlight from a cricket game (not sure where) where the players had to search the stands for the ball making me wonder are they really that pricey?

And just to be a smartass while fans are banned, why not make it a live ball?

Old 03-14-2020, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Pakistan Super League is going on without spectators on Willow.
I.had.tickets!
Corporate boxes for the final.

Quote:
ESPN showed a comical highlight from a cricket game (not sure where) where the players had to search the stands for the ball making me wonder are they really that pricey?
Australia v NZ

The also had to modify the post game handshake procedure.
No. The same ball is used for each innings and the changing nature of the ball as it ages is an important factor in gameplay.

Quote:
And just to be a smartass while fans are banned, why not make it a live ball?
The moment the ball crosses the boundary ball is dead.
In the era before security barriers, it was common for the crowd to pour onto the ground after the match was over.
This led to a famous case (in a World Cup Final no less) where the crowd wrongly thought the match was over and the ball had not crossed the boundary nor returned to the fielding side so it was technically "live". As police shooed the crowd back (and tried to find the ball) the batsmen ran a couple and stopped and there was disagreement as to whether they should run, the senior partner wanted to, but the junior one said that maybe someone in the crowd would find it, give it to a fielder and run them out.

Last edited by AK84; 03-14-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:49 PM

we have 2 short car race tracks and for now they are not cancelling but the start races in April. They may postpone the first few races. I assume our 2 local minor league baseball teams will follow MLB and delay season start by at least 2 weeks.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 03-14-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

According to Twitter, Mexican soccer is still going on, guess it’s time to brush up on my Spanish
Old 03-14-2020, 01:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am by no means an expert but I can't imagine that 2 weeks is enough time.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
According to Twitter, Mexican soccer is still going on, guess it’s time to brush up on my Spanish

Yes, no fans. They did this there during the swine flu pandemic and Mexico has been universally praised for how they handled the whole situation.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
I.had.tickets!
Corporate boxes for the final.

Australia v NZ

The also had to modify the post game handshake procedure.
No. The same ball is used for each innings and the changing nature of the ball as it ages is an important factor in gameplay.

The moment the ball crosses the boundary ball is dead.
In the era before security barriers, it was common for the crowd to pour onto the ground after the match was over.
This led to a famous case (in a World Cup Final no less) where the crowd wrongly thought the match was over and the ball had not crossed the boundary nor returned to the fielding side so it was technically "live". As police shooed the crowd back (and tried to find the ball) the batsmen ran a couple and stopped and there was disagreement as to whether they should run, the senior partner wanted to, but the junior one said that maybe someone in the crowd would find it, give it to a fielder and run them out.

I know. I’m just saying get rid of the boundary and the six and make the fielders look for ball while the batsmen run back and forth!

Old 03-14-2020, 07:23 PM

UFC from Brazil live on ESPN, no fans.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:45 PM

Last night at a brewery we watched gymnastics just long enough to decide we do not enjoy watching gymnastics.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

World Rally Championship Mexico is happening I believe, though the next rally in Chile is cancelled.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
World Rally Championship Mexico is happening I believe, though the next rally in Chile is cancelled.

It just got cancelled mid-way through for everyone to head home.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:20 AM

UFC said events are moving but not cancelled. No fans allowed
Old 03-15-2020, 06:21 PM

Grand Sumo tournament is going on now in Osaka with no fans. Wrestlers with a fever are forced to withdraw and if anyone in the organization tests positive they will cancel the rest of the tournament and have to make some ad-hoc decision of how to treat the non-final results. However, since apparently testing is highly restricted, it's unlikely that anyone that will be forced to withdraw will actually be tested, and thus they're probably safe to run it to completion next Sunday. The next planned tournament is in Tokyo in May, and I'm guessing they'll plan to run it the same way but I suspect by then a much larger percentage of people will have been infected and will include someone in the organization.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

No word yet on elephant polo.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:37 PM

Turkish soccer on BEIN, no fans.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:51 PM

Various esports are cancelling their live events--a stadium full of people is a stadium full of people, I guess. Good news is the players can keep on playing, it's just a lot quieter.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:21 PM

As of yesterday, PBA bowling was having a tournament in Las Vegas.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
As of yesterday, PBA bowling was having a tournament in Las Vegas.
Iím in Vegas right now and Iím leaving 2 days earlier than planned because they are shutting everything down here. I donít expect this tournament to actually take place.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 PM

AEW is holding live matches in an empty area on TNT right now.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:24 PM

And same with WWE tonight.

I guess the final answer to my OP is “pro wrestling”.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:01 PM

Fun to watch the "classic college basketball" games from the 80s and 90s on CBS. It's interesting how infrequently they show the score on-screen. And never at the same time as the game clock and shot clock. You really have to pay attention.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
And same with WWE tonight.

I guess the final answer to my OP is “pro wrestling”.

Correction! Australian Rules Football is going as planned in empty stadiums.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 PM

NRL Rugby also going on in Oz behind closed doors.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Correction! Australian Rules Football is going as planned in empty stadiums.
Yes, thank God. And, if anything, they seem to play better without the distraction of spectators.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfog View Post
Yes, thank God. And, if anything, they seem to play better without the distraction of spectators.

And now the bad news: after a weekend of truncated action, the AFL is suspending the season until May 31.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:36 AM

The candidates tournament for the chess world championship is going on now. Whether or not you consider chess a sport, it might be the sportiest event going on right now.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Are they playing face-to-face or remotely?
Old 03-22-2020, 08:27 PM

Face to face, in Russia. A few things have been messed up by the virus, such as some players not being able to bring their assistants or trainers with them. The one American player commented yesterday that heís not sure heíll be able to get home after the tournament, because of all the travel restrictions.

And there are some more minor things, like the traditional handshakes are optional now, so some players are starting games with that elbow bump thing instead. There was a slightly weird moment where one of the players refused a handshake from former world champion Karpov, whoís a legendary and very esteemed player.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:33 PM

There are only 8 players, so in some US states, they could legally go to dinner together

They isolated the two Chinese players for a couple of weeks before the tournament, and everyone else is just being protected and evaluated constantly. Not much risk there at this point.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 AM

And now the chess has been stopped as well, at the halfway point of the tournament. Itís a bit ridiculous hearing the FIDE peopleís justifications for starting it in the first place, as if it wasnít obvious how the situation was going to keep deteriorating as it has.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Fun to watch the "classic college basketball" games from the 80s and 90s on CBS. It's interesting how infrequently they show the score on-screen. And never at the same time as the game clock and shot clock. You really have to pay attention.
Since there are no motorsports going on, I've been following the 1989 Formula 1 season through the magic of the internet. The lack of on-screen graphics is a big adjustment, they only flash the top-6 standings on the screen maybe every few laps. You really have to pay attention to the announcers to know what's going on. Want to know where your favorite midfield driver is? Hopefully they mention him at some point. I take for granted that today you can glance at the screen and tell what lap they're on and the position of every driver.

Last edited by Jet Jaguar; 03-26-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:04 AM

Florida Derby was run with no fans on Saturday. That's a pretty big race in the lead up to the Kentucky Derby which has been postponed.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:30 AM

Not a lot based on what I've heard. It sounds like there won't be NBA playoffs, MLB will be postponed if not cancelled and we may not even get a football season. I did see something on the news about a horse race that just happened. Guess I'll have to learn to enjoy golf.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:40 PM

Belarus says: Virus? What virus?

https://sports.yahoo.com/belarus-plo...1425--sow.html