Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 PM

How's your booze supply?

Liquor stores are considered essential in Michigan, so there's no restriction on buying booze here right now. That being said, we have no desire to go out into this death trap of a world right now, so we've done a little stocking up.

We have simple, some might say elementary, tastes when it comes to alcohol, so no judgements please. We've got on hand:

4 boxes of Franzia (two white, two red)
3 30-packs of beer (two High Lifes, one PBR, just finished our case of Labatt Blue)
Half a fifth of rum
A bottle of champagne left over from the holiday season
Old 03-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

How cute!

What do you plan to drink tomorrow?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Michigan. I'm not afraid of going out, because I'm sensible, but my wife is full face mask and safety glasses, so I'm currently dry. I've been dry for about 10 days. In fact, it's the longest I've ever gone without a drink in my adult life. I'm kind of wondering if I should cancel my Kroger pickup order (at my boycotted Kroger) for Saturday, which includes 3.5 liters of Bombay, 20 liters of diet tonic, and two boxes of Black Box pinot noir.

Note: I don't plan to drink it that quickly, it's just that I detest that Kroger, but Meijer switched to a third party who won't bring alcohol to Curbside or Home delivery. That supply should last a while while I happily continue to pickup from Meijer.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Note: I don't plan to drink it that quickly, it's just that I detest that Kroger, but Meijer switched to a third party who won't bring alcohol to Curbside or Home delivery.
Who's the third party Meijer delivery company where you're at? In west Michigan we just used Shipt, and they delivered us the beer.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 PM

We're keeping booze stores open here (Ontario) but I still stocked up some. 424 tallboys and something over 2 cases of wine. If I need more, should be stress free as I'm not currently embroiled in any fueds with nearby grocery stores.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 PM

Liquor/beer/wine stores are still open 'round here. And I live 3 blocks from the drive-thru liquor store so I don't even have to get out of the car (even though I usually prefer to go inside the store and pick out my own stuff).

Was telling my wife before all this started, "As long as the liquor store, the dispensary, and 7-11 stay open, I'm good."
Old 03-26-2020, 01:11 PM

PA liquor stores are closed, but we have a decent wine cellar, a couple cases of various beers, and a huge liquor cabinet. I finished off the last bottle of Tito's in the house though. Most of the liquor we have isn't stuff I normally drink. There's one of those eighteen foot tall bottles of Galliano, for instance. I assume we'll eventually be chugging that.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Three liters of whisky, three liters of vermouth delivered tomorrow, but only one bottle of bitters . . . this better end soon.

CMC fnord!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
There's one of those eighteen foot tall bottles of Galliano, for instance. I assume we'll eventually be chugging that.
Now that's something I'd like to see.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

We haven't stocked up at all, but that includes 2+ cases of wine, 2 6-packs of beer, and the usual liquor cabinet supplies (whisky, scotch, vodka, gin). Wine is really the only thing we might need and we're placing our next wine club order this week so we're good.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

The only thing I pick up regularly during a grocery run are handles of Wild Turkey, Tito's and Bacardi and liters of Mount Gay. I've got enough rye around the house to last until the Apocalypse, (or next Thursday, whichever happens first) and a quite adequate supply of tequila, Irish, Scotch and stuff. The Mexican supermarket down the street usually has enormous limes and lots of Mexican Coke, so we'll sail into the End Times with Cuba Libres and Daiquiris galore!

If you ever catch me mixing Pyrat with Coke, you'll know the End is Near.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:09 PM
SD Curator of Critters

I stocked up on scotch and bourbon (and have some rum, tequila, vodka, and liquors as well), but only have 10 cans of beer left. But Panama has banned the sale of alcohol until further notice, so I may have to start rationing the beer.

Last edited by Colibri; 03-26-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I have ten beers, which at my normal rate of drinking will last me a month.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I’m not a big drinker by any measure, but if I need anything, the liquor store across the street is open and busy.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I have about 60 bottles of liquor, most of it made in Washington. I have only 3 or 4 drinks a week so what I have will last a while. A friend that owns a small distillery near me said business has been pretty good recently. He is running low on his aged spirits and he is 6 months from his next bottling of his bourbon and rye.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:38 PM

I mostly drink wine but would hate to run out of rum or vodka, so I stocked up and have on hand:

- 2 large (1.75 liter) bottles of Bacardi Gold, neither of which has been opened
- 1 regular (750 ml) bottle of Absolut vodka, and one large (1.14 L) unopened one
- about a third of a bottle of gin

I don't know what to think about the wine supply. I'm a collector but most of the stuff I keep down in the cellar is either costly or otherwise rare and exceptional, so I'd hate to start digging into that supply for everyday use. I think I have just around 8 bottles upstairs that I would consider ordinary and suitable for everyday drinking. Only two cans of beer as I don't drink the stuff myself.

Hmmm... I would appear to need to brave a trip to the liquor store for at least a little more beer and a few more bottles of wine. Which means a temptation to pop into the nearby grocery store.

ETA: Came back from shopping realizing I had composed this message but forgot to post it. My report: liquor store is understaffed as has been the norm during this crisis, though with one cashier plus one stocking person plus the usual security guard controlling access. This time, before you are allowed in (with in-store customers kept to an absolute minimum) you are subject to a barrage of questions reminiscent of a border crossing: have you been out of the country in the past two weeks? Have you been in contact with anyone who has? Do you have a fever or any other symptoms? There were two young ladies in front of me trying to get in as a pair, and they must have given the wrong answers because they were adamantly refused entry. Meanwhile it appears cashiers are under instructions to back far away from customers loading their purchases on the counter, and the POS terminal is stretched to the very end of the conveyor belt, as far from the cashier as the wire will reach. When they ring up the purchases they actually tell you to step back. I was happy that my minimal purchases today totalled less than $100, because I could tap the POS terminal with the contactless chip card and not have to touch that damn filthy keypad.

I did go to the grocery store as well, and it appeared much more normal and laid-back than the government-run liquor store. They even had TP in stock. However, signs advising of limits of either 1 or 2 to a customer are popping up all over the store. TP was limited to Charmin and a store brand, and just 1 12-pack of double rolls to a customer.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:43 PM

I just put in an order for 45,000 gallons of whiskey per week and they start delivery in two days.

All I'm getting are a couple of sample bottles and they aren't even going to send them to me soon.

My wife and I are subsisting on two cases of beer per week from our weekly grocery run.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
I just put in an order for 45,000 gallons of whiskey per week and they start delivery in two days.
Are you a giant leprechaun?
Old 03-26-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Are you a giant leprechaun?
I wish I was sitting on gold not hand sanitizer.

Oh, and the order for 45,000 gallons of everclear/week just went through too.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 PM

I have a lot of wine, and a liquor cabinet full of bottles (some inherited from my grandparents and father) and at my normal rate of consumption that will last me a couple of years.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 PM

Wtf? Now everclear is whiskey? I call shenanigans.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 PM

My wife and I used to be cocktail geeks, so we have a pretty well stocked bar anyway. But I got another bottle of rum just in case; the other is kind of low. Other than that, we got some extra wine and beer just to ease the shopping load.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Wtf? Now everclear is whiskey? I call shenanigans.
Well, the only difference is the proof they come off the still at . . . but no those were two seperate orders 90,000 gallons of booze per week for the next 8-12 weeks minimum. Hopefully I can get us up to 500,000 gallons per week.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:20 PM

Trade goods?
Old 03-26-2020, 03:31 PM

I have a case of vodka half gallons. Two half gallons of Everclear and four boxes of Franzia (2 white 2 red).
Old 03-26-2020, 03:46 PM

Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Pity Las Vegas is essentially closed.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:16 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I see that BevMo stores are no longer open for walk-in sales; you have to order online for pickup or delivery.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
I can't really blame you as these are trying times, but that can't possibly be good for your liver!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:42 PM

My son lives in Denver. He said they recently imposed some stay home/stores closed rules - which included liquor stores. In less than 3 hours they realized their folly and reopened liquor sales. Not sure if they closed the dispensaries...
Old 03-26-2020, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a good time to revisit that M*A*S*H gin recipe. All you need is a tent and some discarded lab beakers, right?

and olives...almost forgot olives.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:54 PM

Now all the druggies and alkies know who to rob.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

We drink very little, so we've got more than we can use. Rum, vodka, gin and some brandy, I think, mostly for cooking. Plenty of wine in the basement. Got some good port.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:12 PM

Here's still a barrel of blueberry wine. It's plenty strong; I usually dilute it by half before drinking!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 PM

I just bought a fifth of scotch and we have have maybe 20 cans of various beers and spiked seltzer. Probably, less. Even though we are both home from work, we are actually drinking far less than normal. Our boozing is usually on weekends with friends and we haven't seen them in days. I'm running 2-3 miles a day plus riding 14 miles on the famous Atlantic City boardwalk when the weather permits. Assuming I don't get sick, I'm going to come out of this healthier than when I went in.

Mike Mabes - didn't I meet you at a Dead concert?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
I have a case of vodka half gallons. Two half gallons of Everclear and four boxes of Franzia (2 white 2 red).
The Everclear is to be used as hand sanitizer - mixed 2/1 with skin moisturizer.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:50 PM

No booze in my home, but I do have isopropryl alcohol wipes in my home and get the unavoidable high head when cleaning regularly...
Old 03-26-2020, 07:08 PM

30+ bottles of rum. Mostly Foursquare ECS, Real McCoy, Doorly's, Privateer and Montanya. I have to drive to Wisconsin for the Doorly's so that will be the last to be opened if necessary.

I didn't stock up--this is the usual amount of rum available in my house.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 PM

Just before - I mean the DAY before - Chicago went on lockdown, I sent my resume to my dream job, at the team leader's request, and so I quit smoking weed in order to pass a pre-employment drug screen at a moment's notice.

Yeah, so that didn't work out so well, but in the meantime, I stocked up on two ginormous bottles of tequila (one blanco, one reposado), and got the boyfriend a Japanese whisky and JD Tennessee Honey. We've got maybe a 1/4 bottle of Barenjager left, some really bad vodka, and most of a bottle of Hpnotiq (don't judge) that I only bought because it and a free flask were cheaper than a flask alone, and I really needed a flask.

And for some reason there's a 40 of Miller High Life in the fridge. I hope it's for a recipe.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Still have about 3 cases of Guinness from stocking up at costco. Couple bottles of wine, half a liter of Jamesons, dregs of various distilled liquor bottles.

5 gallons of Czech lager in a keg
5 gallons of Anchor Steam clone in a keg
2.5 gallons of a 1% English ale
~10 gallons of various beers fermenting away
Enough grain for prolly 10 more gallons of beer.

My local homebrew supply shop is in a warehouse (not retail) location, and is designated as an "essential business." He's got these big warehouse doors open and everyone practicing social distancing. I've been twice since King County Washington went into shut down. Each time there are at least a handful of people taking advantage of working from home to brew beer.

I went by the local Bevmo last friday as my middle kid needed Kirsch for a Black Forest cake experiment. They were closed to the public, but open for pick up of on line orders. I waited patiently, asked nicely, and they put 3 different Jameson's bottle sizes on the counter. Only let one person in at a time to pay. So, I went in and the guy asked what size? Normally I would get the 750ml, but given the situation I went for the 1.75ml.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:01 AM

400 gallons of beer. Half of it is still in the fermentation process, the rest is bottled and labeled. I know that he's got the stuff to make 4 more batches and has ordered more bottles. When this is over, we will be able to get half of Houston drunk.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
400 gallons of beer. Half of it is still in the fermentation process, the rest is bottled and labeled. I know that he's got the stuff to make 4 more batches and has ordered more bottles. When this is over, we will be able to get half of Houston drunk.
Dang, I brew only 5 gallons at a time.

Must be a microbrew or a brew pub, correct?

The on-line suppliers are still shipping out brewing supplies.

You can give a man a drink, but teach him how to brew and he will have beer forever!
Old 03-27-2020, 12:35 AM

IPAs, it was just a hobby until he retired, then he got huge vats that allowed him to do 20 gallons at a time. They were pretty heavy to deal with, so his "hobby room" had to be plumbed with water, wash tubs, etc. Because he was making that much beer at once, he needed more shelving put in. He also had to have a separate thermostat to control the temp in his cave. Lots of other stuff happened which included removing a wall to expand his cave, but we were going to save SO much money making the perfect beer that we love.

He does make a very nice citrus beer, but he started really amping things up at the beginning of the month and I am getting tired of waking up to the smell of boiling wort.

Last edited by flatlined; 03-27-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
My son lives in Denver. He said they recently imposed some stay home/stores closed rules - which included liquor stores. In less than 3 hours they realized their folly and reopened liquor sales. Not sure if they closed the dispensaries...
The dispensaries are open. The one I'm -ah- "acquainted" with is asking everyone to order online, and then they will bring it out to you. It has kind of an old-school feel to it: handing someone an envelope of cash in the parking lot, and receiving a brown bag in exchange.

It's downright nostalgic.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Wine shops in NYS are considered “essential services.” They don’t let you inside right now, but they do deliver.

I decided to teetotal for the duration, but after ten days lapsed into taking two strong nightcaps before bed. Puts me to sleep faster, so I don’t stare at the ceiling and worry.

Yesterday I roasted a chicken, which called for wine, so I drank off a bottle of a good Medoc between six and eleven. I may have to order a case of mixed French, Italian, and Spanish reds. Maybe add a magnum each of bourbon and gin, which would last me forever at two drinks a day.

I have 12 pints of Bitburger Pilsener on hand, which I haven’t touched for two weeks. Also in the cellar, a liter of Cuban rum and a fifth of Spanish brandy, bought years ago in Europe and gathering dust. For emergencies.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

We've got one or two six-packs of hard cider. Full or partial bottles of brandy, Cointreau, maple liqueur, ginger liqueur, whiskey and a couple of other things. And 2-3 bottles of assorted wine. We drink only rarely - though earlier this week we polished off the remainder of a bottle of red wine that we needed for a recipe.

If I had some sweet red wine I could make a lovely pitcher of sangria (that's what the Cointreau is for). Sadly, we don't, and the grocery stores won't deliver that, and it's not worth venturing to the store just for that. Probably just as well, as it's the only alcohol I like enough to drink large glassfuls of, and I don't need the calories.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:16 AM

A quick, got most of it, inventory shows most of a 30 pack of Coors light in the garage fridge along with the Fireball my son asked for last week plus a large bottle of Baileys and assorted flavors of some Mike's hard Cider. On my computer desk is an unopened pint sized bottle of Crown Royal I got as a gift over the holidays. In the wine cooler is 3 bottles of wine we got from her sister last summer and the remnants of some orange cream. Also a bottle of some sipping stuff that tasted decent at the sampling station in the store. I forgot exactly what it is. In the cabinet is several large Costco branded bottles. One of Scotch, one of Canadian whiskey, one of Bourbon, a bottle of Rumchata, several margarita premixes, some Creme de Menthe, and some bottles in the back I didn't pull out to check. Probably some more rum and some tequila and more flavored sipping stuff.
Only the scotch and Fireball were acquired in anticipation of being homebound. Everything else is pretty much our normal supply.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMalt View Post
The dispensaries are open. The one I'm -ah- "acquainted" with is asking everyone to order online, and then they will bring it out to you. It has kind of an old-school feel to it: handing someone an envelope of cash in the parking lot, and receiving a brown bag in exchange.

It's downright nostalgic.

On a related note, I have a friend who opened a cider business a few years ago. She was doing well until this quarter -- most of her revenue came from restaurants and cider tours. But she sells on-line if your state allows booze-by-mail. If anyone wants to buy some very nice hard cider, made in Vermont, and help keep my friend in business, PM me.

(Am I allowed to say that? Mods, please let me know if that's not okay.)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal_cleaner View Post
The Everclear is to be used as hand sanitizer - mixed 2/1 with skin moisturizer.
That, or extract THC, they're really neck and neck at this point.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 AM

Depleted.

Probably went through some mild withdrawal initially, but actually sleeping pretty well as of late.

I'm discovering that water is an underrated beverage.