Old 03-26-2020, 01:03 PM
SDSAB

Liz Cheney's criticism of same-sex marriage in order to win election to the House was depicted as the cause of a breach with her sister Mary, who is gay and married, in the movie Vice, about Dick Cheney's political career and personal life.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton (often referred to in the press as "Liz and Dick") embarked on an extramarital affair while co-starring in the 1963 epic film Cleopatra; at that time, Taylor was married to singer Eddie Fisher, and Burton was married to actress Sybil Williams.

Their affair was a major scandal, and led to calls by the U.S. Congress to bar them from re-entering the country, and they were condemned by the Vatican for engaging in "erotic vagrancy." Both Taylor and Burton soon divorced their spouses, and married each other in 1964. Their relationship was often tempestuous, and they divorced in 1974, reconciled and re-married in 1975, then divorced for good in 1975.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:29 PM

Elizabeth Taylor was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress five times, winning twice: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in 1959, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? in 1967.

Richard Burton was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Actor for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, but never won an Oscar.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 PM

Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole co-starred in Becket (1964) and were both nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor, but lost to Rex Harrison playing Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady. O'Toole was nominated for Best Actor 8 times in 4 different decades but never won a competitive Oscar. He was awarded the Academy Honorary Award in 2002 for his career achievements.

Last edited by gkster; 03-26-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:58 PM
SDSAB

Richard Burton, interviewed by an American TV journalist at the time of the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer in 1981, was asked, "How does this make you feel as an Englishman?" and replied, "I'm Welsh."
Old 03-26-2020, 10:26 PM

A noted actor flew into a boondock town for location shooing, which made local news. A reporter met him at the airport and asked "How was your flight?"
He replied "Have you ever flown before?"
"Yes."
"Well. it was just like that."
Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The American expression "boondocks," meaning a rural or backwater area, comes from the Tagalog word "bundók," meaning "mountain."

It was introduced in the U.S. by military personnel who had served in the Philippine-American War at the beginning of the 20th Century; in the Philippines, "bundók" was used colloquially to refer to a rural or difficult-to-access area.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:06 AM

I did not know this. My wife and her nine siblings grew up barefoot in the bundoks on Mindanao, but not speaking Tagalog. When a Phlipino uses the English word "mountain", it means jungle regardless of the relief. Urban culture always started in coastal settlements, so it was always uphill to the bundoks.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:21 AM

"Down in the Boondocks", a song written by Joe South, was a hit single for Billy Joe Royal in 1965. The single reached #9 on the Billboard Top 100 chart. The song was also featured on an album by the same name.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:45 PM
SDSAB

Joe Biden was born in Scranton, Pa. but rose to political prominence in Delaware. While serving as Vice President of the United States, he was spoofed by the Onion as a slightly-creepy, sports-car-loving older guy who tried to act younger and cooler than he really was.

One example: https://politics.theonion.com/shirtl...way-1819570732
Old 03-27-2020, 01:51 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The satirical news web site The Onion began as a free weekly print edition in 1988. The paper was founded by four students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and was initially only distributed in Madison. Distribution of the print edition was soon expanded to other college towns, and a web version of the paper was introduced in 1996.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:54 PM

LAPD Officers Ian Campbell and Karl Hettinger were killed by Greg Powell in an onion field on the night of March 9, 1963 after being kidnapped in Los Angeles.

Powell became known as the "Onion Field Killer", and the story was related in a 1973 book by Joseph Wambaugh called The Onion Field. In 1979 it was made into a movie with the same name.

According to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDdnIwlTN-k, which appears to be a good forensic analysis of the information in Wambaugh's book, the police officers were located at the intersection at or near this location, Lat/Long 34.102885, -118.322457 (mapped) where they were kidnapped by Powell and his accomplice. They were driven far to the north, towards Bakersfield CA, where at Lat/Long 35.039854, -118.993716 (mapped), Officer Ian Campbell (then 31) was shot and murdered. Officer Karl Hettinger (then 28) ran off and ran in zig-zags as he was being shot at. At approximately Lat/Long 35.039800, -118.993875 (mapped), Hettinger hid as Powell and his partner looked for him. Hettinger was able to escape detection and run off on foot, about 4 miles to one of the houses near Lat/Long 35.055151, -119.038179 (mapped), where a farmer answered the door (it was late at night). The farmer got his shotgun for defense, he helped Hettinger, and he called the local sheriff.

In the 1979 movie, Ted Danson, in his acting debut, played Officer Ian Campbell.
John Savage played Karl Hettinger.
James Woods played killer Greg Powell.

The movie aligned well with the book, and the book aligned well with the facts of the case.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:12 PM

Ted Danson starred as Sam Malone, one of the leading characters in the television comedy Cheers. Cheers ran for eleven seasons and aired 275 episodes.

The show ranked 74th out of 77 in its premier season. Eventually Cheers would earn a top-ten rating during eight of its eleven seasons, including one season at number one.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:22 PM

Collimation is the alignment of the two barrrels of a pair of binoculars. If thr two are not perfectly aligned, eye fatigue can occur in a short time of use, as the eye-brain try to superimpose the two images. Cheap binoculars often show poor colllimation, or careless use can knock the barrels out oo collimation.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-27-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:12 AM

On a linac (“linn-ack”), or linear accelerator, which is a medical device used to treat cancer, a collimator is a beam limiting device that helps to shape the beam of radiation emerging from the machine.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:31 AM

Old Jake Beam Sour Mash was first distilled in Kentucky when George Washington was president, by descendants of the Böhm family, who immigrated from Germany. After seven generations, the family stall has their hands in the bourbon whisky business, which is now a Japanese holdng company.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-28-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:52 AM

Sour mash whiskey differs from bourbon in that all the ingredients in bourbon are 'from scratch'. Sour mash uses leftovers from a previous batch, much like the starter in sourdough bread.

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/the-dif...key-sour-mash/
Old 03-28-2020, 10:13 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Ted Danson starred as Sam Malone, one of the leading characters in the television comedy Cheers. Cheers ran for eleven seasons and aired 275 episodes.

The show ranked 74th out of 77 in its premier season. Eventually Cheers would earn a top-ten rating during eight of its eleven seasons, including one season at number one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Collimation is the alignment of the two barrrels of a pair of binoculars. If thr two are not perfectly aligned, eye fatigue can occur in a short time of use, as the eye-brain try to superimpose the two images. Cheap binoculars often show poor colllimation, or careless use can knock the barrels out oo collimation.
I guess I don't see the connection.

In play:

Whiskey is still being distilled at Mount Vernon, George Washington's longtime Virginia home, using methods appropriate to his era.

https://www.mountvernon.org/the-esta...-mount-vernon/
Old 03-28-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
The movie aligned well with the book, and the book aligned well with the facts of the case.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
I guess I don't see the connection.
I THINK that jtur88 missed my post about Ted Danson, and instead replied to the post by Bullitt. 'Alignment' was the connection.

Still in play, post by Elendil's Heir:

Whiskey is still being distilled at Mount Vernon, George Washington's longtime Virginia home, using methods appropriate to his era.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

((OOP: I spent about an hour last night unsuccesfuly trying to come up with a post that would link Ted Danson and binoculars. ))

In play: English writer Virginia Woolf is considered to be among the most important novelists of the 20th century. She was a key figure in the modernism movement, and a pioneer in the use of stream-of-consciousness in writing; decades after her death, her works were seen as influential in the feminism movement.

Woolf was plagued by emotional issues, depression, and poor health throughout her life. She committed suicide on this date in 1941, by filling her overcoat pockets with stones, and walking into a river near her home.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:53 PM

Much attention has been focused on Virginia Woolf's emotional issues, but she had a lighthearted side. At age 28 she was part of a group of friends who played a practical joke on the officers of HMS Dreadnought, disguising themselves as members of the Abyssinian royal family for a supposed ceremonial visit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_hoax

She also wrote a humorous ‘biography’ of Flush, Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s spaniel, inspired by a new edition, in 1930, of the Brownings’ love letters; she said that ‘the figure of their dog made me laugh so I couldn’t resist making him a Life.’

Her novel Orlando: A Biography (1928) can be summed up as "a high-spirited romp inspired by the tumultuous family history of Woolf's lover and close friend, the aristocratic poet and novelist Vita Sackville-West, it is arguably one of Woolf's most popular novels: a history of English literature in satiric form. The book describes the adventures of a poet who changes sex from man to woman and lives for centuries, meeting the key figures of English literary history. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando:_A_Biography
Old 03-28-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I THINK that jtur88 missed my post about Ted Danson, and instead replied to the post by Bullitt. 'Alignment' was the connection.

Still in play, post by Elendil's Heir:

Broken link. Here is one: https://www.mountvernon.org/the-esta...ns/distillery/

I wish I'd have known about the distillery. I was at Mount Vernon 2-3 years ago and would have bought some. They only sell it in person, not by mail.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Contrary to popular legend, English businessman Thomas Crapper (1836-1910) did not invent the flush toilet. Crapper did, however, improve on the design of the water closet, including inventing the floating ballcock.

The flushing toilet is believed to have been invented in the 1590s by John Harington, godson to Queen Elizabeth I.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:02 PM

Plumber Thomas Crapper founded the sanitary equipment company, Thomas Crapper & Co., in London. The high quality of Crapper's products became widely-known. Manhole covers in Westminster Abbey with Crapper's company name on them have become one of London's minor tourist attractions.

Image, Thomas Crapper manhole cover: https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/3...-manhole-cover
Old 03-28-2020, 07:23 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

According to urban legend, during an underground nuclear blast test in the 1950s, a manhole cover was accidentally launched from its shaft at a sufficient speed to reach escape velocity.

There is a grain of truth to the legend, as, during a blast conducted during Operation Plumbob at the Nevada Test Site in 1957, a steel cap, weighing close to a ton, was blasted free from a shaft. The cap appeared as a blur on a single frame of the film taken during the blast. The cap was never recovered, and scientists hypothesized that it burned up as it fell back through Earth's atmosphere.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
:
Alignment was the original, but when I saw that I was ninjaed, I rewrote a line to add the word "show".

Last edited by jtur88; 03-28-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:03 PM

Escape velocity is mass-independent. Regardless of an object's mass, if it achieves escape velocity, then it will be launched into space. From the surface of the Earth, escape velocity is a little under 7 miles per second. At that speed, you could drive from San Francisco CA to New York City NY in under 8 minutes.

Those 8 minutes, remarkably and coincidentally, is about the amount of time it takes the light from the Sun to travel the 93,000,000 miles to Earth.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
:
Alignment was the original, but when I saw that I was ninjaed, I rewrote a line to add the word "show".
Ah, okay. Completely missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
((OOP: I spent about an hour last night unsuccesfuly trying to come up with a post that would link Ted Danson and binoculars. ))
Here is a link between Ted Danson and binoculars.

In play: The 1963 movie The Great Escape was based on a 1950 book of the same name. The book was an insider's account of a mass escape by British and Commonwealth airmen from a German POW camp. 76 men escaped. 73 men were recaptured. 50 of these 73 were shot by the Gestapo.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:56 PM
SDSAB

Per Wiki, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is monarch of sixteen Commonwealth realms: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and the United Kingdom. She is and will be played by Olivia Colman in the most recent and the next season of the award-winning Netflix series The Crown.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Here is a link between Ted Danson and binoculars.
For the win!
Old 03-29-2020, 01:10 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

The first European explorer to visit the Solomon Islands archipelago was Spanish navigator Álvaro de Mendaña. He named the islands "Islas Salomón", naming them after the wealthy King of Israel in the Old Testament.

Mendaña apparently believed that the islands were the location of the legendary, wealthy port of Ophir, mentioned in several places in the Old Testament; Solomon was said to have regularly received shipments of riches from Ophir.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-29-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:49 AM

Wise King Solomon of the Bible’s Old Testament, was also called Jedidiah. His father was King David. The conventional dates of his reign are about 970 to 931 BCE, normally given in alignment with the dates of David's reign. The Hebrew Bible credits him as the builder of the First Temple in Jerusalem, beginning in the fourth year of his reign.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:53 AM

In 1946 an inscribed pottery shard was found in Tel Aviv dating to the eighth century BC. On it is written the text "gold of Ophir to/for Beth-Horon".

Ophir has been conjectured to be in The Philippines, India, Africa, the Caribbean, South America, and the aforementioned Solomon Islands.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:29 PM

Ophir is a port or region mentioned in the Bible and famous for its wealth. Ophir is mentioned in the books of Genesis (a person), in 1 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Job, Psalms, and Isaiah. It is not mentioned in the New Testament, except for the apocrypha book Cave of Treasures. Variants of Ophir include Ofir, ʼÔp̄îr, Ōpheír, Sōphír, Sōpheír and Souphír.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:43 PM

At the end of episodes of the NPR show "Ask Me Another", one of the show's "puzzle gurus" recites the names of some of their staff members as anagrams. The host, Ophira Eisenberg, is "Her ripe begonias." In-House Musician Jonathan Coulton is "Thou jolt a cannon." Puzzle Guru John Chaneski is "Oh heck, ninjas" and Puzzle Guru Art Chung is "Narc thug."

Last edited by gkster; 03-29-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:12 PM

Indonesian pop singer Raisa recorded a song titled "Tekateki-tekateki-mu", which translates as "Puzzles"
Old 03-29-2020, 11:18 PM
SDSAB

Raisa Gorbachev, wife of Mikhail Gorbachev, the last leader of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, was widely thought to not get along with Nancy Reagan, wife of U.S. President Ronald Reagan, even as their respective husbands were working well together. She died of leukemia in Sept. 1999.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:09 AM

Nancy Davis Reagan (1921-2016) was born Anne Frances Robbins

My sister’s middle names (she has 2) are Anne Francis — interesting.

Actress Anne Francis (1930-2011) was born in the village of Ossining NY, only a few miles north of Midtown Manhattan where Nancy Reagan was born.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:23 AM

The maximum security prison known as Sing Sing is in Ossining, 30 miles north of Manhattan. Sing Sing is not a corruption of Ossining, but is actually closer to the original name of the Sinksink Tribe, from whom the land was bought in 1685.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

The Sinksink (or Sintsink, or Sinsink) were one of approximately eighteen bands of the Wappinger tribe of Native Americans, who lived east of the Hudson River in what is now New York State and Connecticut. The Wappingers were Eastern Algonquin-speakers, and were related to the Lenape tribe.

The Wappingers declined over the course of the 17th and 18th centuries. Many of them served in the Stockbridge Militia, on the side of the Colonies during the American Revolutionary War. After the war, most of the remaining Wappingers moved to join the Stockbridge-Munsee tribe in Ohio, and ceased to be a distinct tribe.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:17 AM

Ohio was formed from the Northwest Territory, 20 years after Kentucky statehood. So when Kentucky was admitted,, the entirety of the Ohio River was included in Kentucky, right up to the Ohio territorial shoreline. There are stilll old-timers who pronounce it "Ahia".

Last edited by jtur88; 03-30-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:52 AM

The Allegheny River rises in northern Pennsylvania, flows northwesterly into New York, and then turns and flows southwesterly through Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh, where it meets the Monongahela River to form the Ohio River. The Allegheny at one point flows about 100 miles from Lake Erie; some of its tributaries reach within 8 miles of Lake Erie.

Water from Lake Erie eventually flows into the Atlantic; water from the Allegheny eventually flows into the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:24 PM

Emperor Franz Josef I of Austria lived to age 86, dying of pneumonia in 1916. Many of his close family members died young and/or violently including the tragedies of the execution of his brother, the Emperor Maximilian of Mexico in 1867, aged 36, the suicide of his only son and heir-apparent, 30 year old Crown Prince Rudolf, in 1889, the assassination of his wife, Empress Elisabeth ("Sisi"), in 1898, and the assassination of his nephew and heir-presumptive, the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, in 1914.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:47 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Scottish indie-rock band Franz Ferdinand took the initial inspiration for their band's name from a racehorse named Archduke Ferdinand, which won the Northumberland Plate race in 2001.

The band's biggest hit song to date, "Take Me Out," was from their eponymous 2004 debut album; it was a top 10 hit in the U.K., Ireland, and Canada, and reached #66 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the U.S. The song was featured in a number of video games, including Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Dance Dance Revolution, and Madden NFL 2005.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:04 PM

King John I of France lived only six days, but it was a busy life -- he spent most of it as king of France. His father, Louis X, died in 1316, before nis son was born, but the hastily-crowned infant died just five days later. He was the shortest-lived king to date.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-30-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 PM

Prince John, son of King George V suffered from severe epilepsy. He was sent away to live at Sandringham House and rarely saw his family. He died at age 13 probably of a severe seizure.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:28 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
King John I of France lived only six days, but it was a busy life -- he spent most of it as king of France. His father, Louis X, died in 1316, before nis son was born, but the hastily-crowned infant died just five days later. He was the shortest-lived king to date.
(Not seeing the connection to my post -- am I clueless, or did you miss it?)
Old 03-30-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
(Not seeing the connection to my post -- am I clueless, or did you miss it?)
Look at jtur88's

"John"
Son of a king
Died young
Old 03-30-2020, 11:06 PM

I was ninjaed, and had to add "to date". I've found that you are certain to be ninjaed if you spend more than five minutes reading a post, getting an interesting idea, researching and composing and proof-reading and editing it. Erodes the quality of the entries.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:34 AM
SDSAB

In play:

Prince John is referred to briefly in the Oscar-winning historical drama The King's Speech, as the Duke of York - the future King George VI, and father of the current British monarch, Queen Elizabeth II - remembers with sadness his younger brother's isolation and medical troubles.