Old 03-26-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

So, what is the best game?

We have a thread on some of the worst board games, So I figure we should have a thread on some of the best ones.

Some of my favorites:

Concordia: One of my favorite euros. I like that it has more player interaction than most euros without being conflict-driven and that it has no hidden information.

Suburbia: A drafting city-building game. You buy tiles from a central pool and add them to your city. There are various combinations of tiles which earn (or cost) you money or population.

Fidelitas: A card game. Everyone plays cards from their hand to a central tableau. The cards let you move the cards around in the tableau. Everyone has secret goals of certain combinations they want to set up in the tableau.

Gizmos: A nice engine building game. You collect marbles and then spend them to buy cards, which represent machines. As your machines get more complicated, you can collect more marbles and build bigger machines.

Kingdom Builder: Area control. You are placing little houses out on the board. When one player has all the houses out, the game ends. But there are variable ways to score points, which change every game and the person who builds the last house doesn't necessarily win. There are also variable board set-ups, which give players different possible bonus powers.

Architects of the West Kingdom: A recent favorite. A worker placement game. I like the fact that there are very few artificial limits on the placement of your workers. The limit develops from the way that you make yourself a more vulnerable target the more you concentrate your pieces in one location.

Some other favorites: Actionworks, CV, Dice City, Fabled Fruit, Fields of Green, Gugong, Iki, Kemet, Millions of Dollars, Oh My Goods, Orleans, Panamax, Path of Light and Shadow, Rise of Tribes, Sagrada, Space Base, Stockpile, Yokohama, Zombicide
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I screwed up the title. It's supposed to be "So, what is the best game?"

I've asked the mods to fix it.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Slight, unimportant typo in title corrected
Old 03-26-2020, 07:57 PM

You mentioned Zombicide already which I love. Very fun cooperative board game. I also love Flash Point: Fire Rescue, another cooperative game but your job is to help control a fire raging through a building while searching for missing people trapped in the fire and trying to rescue them all before the building collapses. Each round has the fire flare up and spread, while you run around trying to put out little blazes, remove hazardous materials before they detonate, and investigate where people might be.

There are different buildings with unique challenges and players take on different roles with strengths and weaknesses, like Zombicide or Pandemic. I really recommend it. A game is usually quick to set up and often doesn’t take more than an hour or two and can be played by a couple people or up to a half dozen.

Last edited by Atamasama; 03-26-2020 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Fixed name of game
Old 03-26-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
You mentioned Zombicide already which I love. Very fun cooperative board game. I also love Flash Point: Fire Rescue, another cooperative game but your job is to help control a fire raging through a building while searching for missing people trapped in the fire and trying to rescue them all before the building collapses. Each round has the fire flare up and spread, while you run around trying to put out little blazes, remove hazardous materials before they detonate, and investigate where people might be.

There are different buildings with unique challenges and players take on different roles with strengths and weaknesses, like Zombicide or Pandemic. I really recommend it. A game is usually quick to set up and often doesnít take more than an hour or two and can be played by a couple people or up to a half dozen.
Sometimes I'm in the mood to play a co-op game. They're good because players with different levels of gaming experience can play together. In addition to the ones you mentioned, I also like Castle Panic.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
We have a thread on some of the worst board games, So I figure we should have a thread on some of the best ones.

Some of my favorites:

Concordia: One of my favorite euros. I like that it has more player interaction than most euros without being conflict-driven and that it has no hidden information.

Suburbia: A drafting city-building game. You buy tiles from a central pool and add them to your city. There are various combinations of tiles which earn (or cost) you money or population.

Fidelitas: A card game. Everyone plays cards from their hand to a central tableau. The cards let you move the cards around in the tableau. Everyone has secret goals of certain combinations they want to set up in the tableau.

Gizmos: A nice engine building game. You collect marbles and then spend them to buy cards, which represent machines. As your machines get more complicated, you can collect more marbles and build bigger machines.

Kingdom Builder: Area control. You are placing little houses out on the board. When one player has all the houses out, the game ends. But there are variable ways to score points, which change every game and the person who builds the last house doesn't necessarily win. There are also variable board set-ups, which give players different possible bonus powers.

Architects of the West Kingdom: A recent favorite. A worker placement game. I like the fact that there are very few artificial limits on the placement of your workers. The limit develops from the way that you make yourself a more vulnerable target the more you concentrate your pieces in one location.

Some other favorites: Actionworks, CV, Dice City, Fabled Fruit, Fields of Green, Gugong, Iki, Kemet, Millions of Dollars, Oh My Goods, Orleans, Panamax, Path of Light and Shadow, Rise of Tribes, Sagrada, Space Base, Stockpile, Yokohama, Zombicide
Amazingly, I own over 100 board games, and yet your favorites and my collection only overlap on one, Sagrada (which we do like). But faves for us are Race for the Galaxy, Twilight Struggle, Agricola, Dominion, Takenoko, Power Grid, and 7 Wonders.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:53 PM

I always liked Suspicion. It was TSR's (the guys who published D&D) attempt to bump up the role-playing aspects of Clue. I just watched a rideo on Suspciomand ther were a few thing sings different bachnd. The flip ismeuencangtnan nynerweroiuyruyrte45678990-==5431216754S

sorry computer gone a bit whaked. will try to finish on another

Last edited by RivkahChaya; 03-26-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I always liked Suspicion. It was TSR's (the guys who published D&D) attempt to bump up the role-playing aspects of Clue. I just watched it one YouTube, and it looks like the rules have been simplified--not a bad thing. You got character cards, factual cards about yourselfm who you thought was a gog driber, rtc.
You xcould lie if it was your characterstrait kise.

sorry computer gone a bit whaked. will try to finish on another
Any, at a set point, the game master who may of may not be bdcedcvgrhytom. When the lights go out, the killer can kill agan, as many as hw wasnt kn eeryipone kne me. He hugs me, and I grab him and pronoundecd the nurdered, ij33e hee

I need to go tp bed.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Amazingly, I own over 100 board games, and yet your favorites and my collection only overlap on one, Sagrada (which we do like). But faves for us are Race for the Galaxy, Twilight Struggle, Agricola, Dominion, Takenoko, Power Grid, and 7 Wonders.
I own Twilight Struggle, Agricola, Dominion, Power Grid, and 7 Wonders. But they're not among my favorites.

Have you played Roll Player? I could best describe it as a more difficult version of Sagrada.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I own Twilight Struggle, Agricola, Dominion, Power Grid, and 7 Wonders. But they're not among my favorites.

Have you played Roll Player? I could best describe it as a more difficult version of Sagrada.
I forgot to mentionTerraforming Mars.

I havenít seen Roll Player, but Iíll take a look. Based on how we match so far, I donít have high hopes.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:38 AM

I am a big Ticket to Ride fan. It seems to have a nice balance of simplicity/complexity, luck/strategy, game length, and pretty straightforward to pick up.

Agricola will never get old (because you couldn't get through all the different profession/minor improvement combos if you played it till the sun cooled) but I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. The tenth+ games you play are a lot better than the first

If we're allowed card games in here, my family has had SO MUCH FUN over Munchkin, in its day (for the jokes, rather than the game mechanics admittedly)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
If we're allowed card games in here, my family has had SO MUCH FUN over Munchkin, in its day (for the jokes, rather than the game mechanics admittedly)
I'm not a huge fan of Munchkin. My experience has been that, like you said, a lot of the fun in the game comes from the jokes. And after you've heard the jokes for the third or fourth or fifth time, their humor wears pretty thin.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I havenít seen Roll Player, but Iíll take a look. Based on how we match so far, I donít have high hopes.
The basic mechanic of dice drafting is similar to Sagrada. Each player has their own unique board, there's a central pool of dice that get rolled, and then players draft dice in turn order to fill in their board.

In Sagrada, you're building a stained glass window. In Roll Player, you're creating a D&D character. You have six "stats" (Charisma, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Strength, Wisdom) and you're going to place three dice in each one during the course of the game.

But your character sheet has a range for each stat and you want your total score in each stat to be within the right range. And the dice are different colors and you have a backstory card which gives you points for placing certain colors in certain locations. And each of the stats has a power, which you can use when you place a die in that area. And the dice are placed on numbered cards from lowest to highest and there are cards you can buy which give you bonuses but they're sold in turn order based on which card you pick. And there's an alignment card which you have to maneuver around on. And coins you have to earn and spend. And set collection of the cards.

So picking which die to draft in Roll Player means you have to juggle more different considerations than you do in Sagrada. And this is just the base game; the expansions add new levels of complexities.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

My favorite board game is definitely Terraforming Mars. I've soloed it over 1000 times. It's cards offer endless variations, and thus chances to maximize your play with analysis, yet individually are all very easy to understand and comprehend. None of the abstract "if you have 3 red dice and 2 wineskins, you may trade 4 buggityboos to increase your Pip Track by 1" stuff which doesn't mean anything to me. Just stuff like "spend 6 MÄ to increase your money production by 2."

My second favorite solo board game is Agricola because as others have said the cards prevent it from getting old.

My favorite multiplayer game is another Rosenberg, A Feast for Odin. My favorite amount of player interaction would be somewhere in between Agricola and Feast for Odin since they both use the worker placement mechanic, but Agricola has few enough squares that you are stepping on each others toes too much whereas Feast for Odin has so many that it feels more like a solo game. But I still give it the nod because it is so freaking pretty. As a viking you can explore new islands, and their bright yet pastoral colors and small map size give it a dreamy, almost psychedelic quality.

My second favorite multiplayer game is Puerto Rico. It has just enough randomness to make it different each time. But it has little randomness and the right choice to make is obvious most of the time, so you can plan up to 8 turns ahead of time if you know your opponents.

Also, for some reason, the culture of both games is unlike that of Terraforming Mars and a lot of other board games, where there always has to be one person who points out the player who is supposedly "ahead" and tells people they should direct their attacks toward that player. Then, if they can convince people on the margins that you need to be taken down even if they're wrong or lying, the game stops being a test of your playing ability but a test of your raw charisma, and there are enough of those in everyday life that I'd rather not have those in a board game. I have yet to see someone in Feast for Odin or Puerto Rico say something like "you shouldn't take the Prospector because then Joe will take the trader and win!" I don't mind if people figure that out on their own and attack me because I am the clear winner, I just hate it when people try to convince everyone to gang up on me.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

I know it's a classic but I'll admit I've never played Puerto Rico. And while I'd like to try it, I don't think it's a game I would love.

From what I've heard of it, it's a game that embraces the idea of optimal strategy. So much so, that I've heard of arguments about seating order around the table. It sounds like one of those games where the "fun" of the game is learning the optimal strategy and once you've learned it, all you do is follow it. An experienced player is supposed to know what he is going to do throughout the game before it even begins.

Other games which give me this same impression are Root and Terra Mystica - and I'm not crazy about either one of those.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:32 AM
I was curious...

The games I have most enjoyed recently include Concordia: Salsa (an expansion to the original that improves it further - not so much the addition of salt, a commodity that can take the place of any other as needed, but because of additional tiles that give you more power to do things.

I'm also a big fan of Twilight Struggle. Unfortunately I rarely have the necessary 3-4 spare hours to play either of these at the moment.

For shorter, abstract, strategy games I like Onitama, Hive, and Santorini.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I really like Brass -- right now I think I prefer the Lancashire map.
I like Terraforming Mars -- but I think the expansions may dilute the deck too much. Hellas/Elysium is fine, and Prelude speeds up the game.
I like a LOT of games and have a hard time ranking them.

Brian
Old 03-27-2020, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Other games which give me this same impression are Root and Terra Mystica - and I'm not crazy about either one of those.
I've never played Root, and Terra Mystica is technically not like that because in the variant I've played, the turn order varies from turn to turn. Plus the optimal strategy varies by race and game since you have different goals. It is non-random enough though that I can see how arguments would start about how a player has an advantage due to a race being imbalanced.

I didn't like it myself due to the players that liked to play it with me being very slow. The slowness is compounded since in Terra Mystica, once you've finished your turn the opponents still have the option to do things, so if you're done then they can AP to their hearts content by themselves for quite awhile. Even worse is that if you finish early you usually aren't doing so hot, so you're hanging around doing nothing for the privilege of probably losing.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 AM

Given we all may be housebound, it might be worth mentioning board game appsÖ Which ones do you think are good?

Twilight Struggle: mediocre opponent. I only recommended it for learning the game.
Race for the Galaxy: excellent app. It has one slight glitch that shows up maybe every 40 games or so, and itís not that big a glitch. I will add that the app is smart enough to sometimes gamble on a leeeching strategy, which is pretty sophisticated.
Puerto Rico: this will put up a decent fight, and is worth owning.
Potion explosion: I donít actually own the physical game, but my wife and I use it a lot as a pass and play.
Onirim: this is just a really elaborate game of solitaire, with actual decision making, but itís certainly a good distraction.
Onitama: The app is a poor player.

Two that I own, but havenít played yet and welcome questions on:
Tokaido: to be honest this doesnít seem much of a game, I just played it for the first time last night. Iíll give it a little more time. It was free on the App Store for some reason as of a couple of days ago.
Le Havre: I havenít figured out the rules to this yet, and I think Iíve owned the app for two years. Probably a good time to take a shot at it.:
Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I usually prefer physical games to apps because I stare at a computer screen all day for my job, but I might be interested in a Le Havre app because the physical pieces are so fidgety to work with. It's a pity too because like all Rosenbergs it is beautiful, although in Le Havre's case that is mainly due to the playing pieces whose design and color scheme remind me of retro 80s for some reason.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 AM

I just looked, and I have a bunch more.

Neuroshima Hex: this works quite well as both a solo and pass and play. Itís a hex/combat grid game, with enough interaction between the different character types that it feels a little like an abstract. Itís a good way to waste some time.
Mysterium: very weird as an app. Just letting you know itís out there.
Small World 2: I think this is kind of an entry-level game, but the app is good enough.
Alhambra: I donít like this game much, but the app is a viciously good player.
Splendor: eh game, but the app is sufficient.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Any, at a set point, the game master who may of may not be bdcedcvgrhytom. When the lights go out, the killer can kill agan, as many as hw wasnt kn eeryipone kne me. He hugs me, and I grab him and pronoundecd the nurdered, ij33e hee

I need to go tp bed.
I have NO idea what that was about, but I am on my back-up computer now, and completely drained the battery on the other one; opened it up and vacuumed all the dust; removed the battery for ten minuted to dissipate any static, and put it all back together. It is now recharging.

At any rate, Suspicion. GREAT game, but you need a group. It is best with at least four. You have to deduce not only who the killer is, but who of several characters each player is. If the killer thinks someone is getting close to revealing him (her) the killer kill again, eliminating the player who is about to reveal him. It's a risky move, though, because doing so makes the killer vulnerable to being revealed.

Deduce the killer, and win. The killer can win either by deducing all the other players, or by killing them all off. The second is very difficult, because once only two players are left it is obvious who the killer is, so the last murder has to be done quickly after the second to last.

It's a little complicated, but if you see the pieces and the layout, it isn't as complicated as it sounds. It takes 2-3 hours to play, but it's very fast paced. It's so interesting, that every time I played, any people who either were killed, or lost by guessing wrongly, always stayed to watch the game until the end.

I'm going to mention D&D, even though I know it's not what the OP has in mind, because it's the greatest game ever designed.

Clue was always my favorite game to play even as an adult. I never beat my mother at it, though. She was the best Clue player ever.

My favorite game as a younger kid, before I was old enough for Clue was probably Battleship. I was a fan of Twister too.

Scrabble is a great game, although not my personal favorite. Any time anyone suggests a game, I'm always up for it.

Of the classic game, I love chess. I'm not great at it, but I love it. Of the classic games I'm good at, I love senet.

Basically, I love board games. You could never go wrong getting me one as a gift. Operation, Careers, I loved everything. Except Life, and Chinese checkers. Never could get into those two.

Anybody else remember a kid's game from the 70s called Which Witch? Took longer to set up than play, and always started to fall apart, and had lots of pieces to lose. Still a great game if you were under 10.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I've never played Root, and Terra Mystica is technically not like that because in the variant I've played, the turn order varies from turn to turn. Plus the optimal strategy varies by race and game since you have different goals. It is non-random enough though that I can see how arguments would start about how a player has an advantage due to a race being imbalanced.
It's the scoring tiles that hurt this game for me. In theory, there are a number of different things you can do to earn victory points. But the turn track and scoring tiles give bonus points for doing certain specified actions on certain specified turns. Which essentially hands all of the players a script and says "Do these actions in this order."

The competition then becomes who can follow the script the best. And that devolves to picking the faction that best fits the script. The outcome of the game is thereby decided before the game begins.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:25 PM

Right now my two favorite games are Hanabi and a new one called The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine; it is is getting a lot of buzz in gaming circles and it's very clever: a cooperative trick-taking game. Scythe is another current favorite.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:33 AM

I like chess a lot (see a recent thread on a training game.)

But my favourite family game is Pandemic :

- you can play with 1-4 players (you are playing against the game itself!)
- it's a co-operative game, so everybody gets the same result
- nobody gets knocked out early
- it takes only 30-60 minutes
- each game is different (there are various player roles and different starting positions)
- rules are easy to follow
- it doesn't take long to set up
Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 AM

My favorites right now are:

Res Arcana: A fun engine building game where you convert essences to score points.

Port Royal: A push your luck game that is just a deck of cards.

Carcassonne South Seas: I also enjoy the original Carcassonne but this spin off is better. Instead of scoring your meeples directly, the meeples get shells, bananas or fish which you then turn into points.

Horrified: A fun thematic cooperative game featuring the Universal Monsters.

Magic The Gathering: I have played it for decades so it should be on this list but to be honest I have found in the last few years I enjoy board games such as the above ones more.

Last edited by Quimby; 04-01-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:38 AM

My tastes are more towards heavy-weight hobby games. My favorites include:

The Hellboy Boardgame (definitely a heavy-weight, big-box, miniatures game, but within that category, it plays pretty fast and fun).

Sentinels of the Multiverse (a fully co-op, super-hero themed deck management game; it has an online version that I also really like).

A Touch of Evil: Dark Gothic (a gothic-horror deck-builder; it's from Flying Frog's "classic" period of photo-manipulation art, which gives it a really distinct, atmospheric aesthetic; it can be played either competitively or, as my group prefers, fully co-op).

King of Tokyo (rock-em, sock-em, giant monster free-for-all with colorful cardboard standees; the most light-weight of the games I'm listing here, fast playing, just goofy fun; the Power-Up expansion adds some complexity and more tactical game-play without bogging it down; I'm not a fan of the sort-of-spin-off King of New York - I think King of Tokyo is exactly as complicated as it needs to be, while King of New York is overly complicated for what it's trying to do).
Old 04-01-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
My favorites right now are:

Res Arcana: A fun engine building game where you convert essences to score points.

Port Royal: A push your luck game that is just a deck of cards.

Carcassonne South Seas: I also enjoy the original Carcassonne but this spin off is better. Instead of scoring your meeples directly, the meeples get shells, bananas or fish which you then turn into points.

Horrified: A fun thematic cooperative game featuring the Universal Monsters.

Magic The Gathering: I have played it for decades so it should be on this list but to be honest I have found in the last few years I enjoy board games such as the above ones more.
Agree on Port Royal, we just discovered it a couple of months ago...itís a good filler game with multiple paths to victory and a fair amount of interaction.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agree on Port Royal, we just discovered it a couple of months ago...itís a good filler game with multiple paths to victory and a fair amount of interaction.
I bought Port Royal last year and I also enjoy it.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 PM

Not a board game...yet. but patent pending!

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...=869857&page=7
Old 04-02-2020, 11:07 PM

My game groups doesn't meet too often and is a more casual group, so they don't like games that take a really long time to play or very complicated games. (I have to explain all the games). Also, we often have five, or even six players, which eliminates certain games.

Of course, there's always Settlers of Catan. It's old hat by now, but I really can't think of too many games that are both accessible to casual gamers and have such great replay value.

The group's other favorites are Takenoko, King of Tokyo, Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, Elder Sign, and Libertalia.

I like tile-based city building games, but they often don't have a lot of player interaction. One games new to me that solves this problem is Between2Cities, because your are not building a city by yourself, you are building one with the player on your left and one with the player on your right.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Not a board game...yet. but patent pending!

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...=869857&page=7
That thread is what broke the forum software.

Last edited by Atamasama; 04-03-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:43 PM

I've had well over a hundred board games, but don't get to play much now. I like Spirit Quest quite a bit.

But, for the past 50 years? I'd have to say the best is still Risk. A great way to spend an evening and/or break up lifelong friendships.