Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 PM

The much faster increase in the rate of infections in the US compared to China is that the US had presumably many places that the infection was brought into. China had only one point of origin, the US had tons.

I agree that per capita numbers are probably better to focus on, but with so little that is known about asymptomatic people, the only numbers you can really look at are deaths, and those will also be skewed by longevity profiles of each country.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:51 PM

I don't think this was a good idea at all:
Quote:
The Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday abruptly waived enforcement on a range of legally mandated public health and environmental protections, saying industries could have trouble complying with them during the coronavirus pandemic.

The oil and gas industry were among the industries that had sought an advance relaxation of environmental and public health enforcement during the outbreak, citing potential staffing problems. The EPA’s decision was sweeping, forgoing fines or other civil penalties for companies that failed to monitor, report or meet some other requirements for releasing hazardous pollutants.
ETA:
Quote:
In a statement, EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said the open-ended waiver was temporary and retroactive to March 13.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-26-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Seen on TV last night (March 25), but I haven't seen it in this thread yet. (Maybe I missed it?)

Diana Koelliker, a medical officer in San Miguel County, Colorado, says the county will begin testing of county residents en masse for antibodies.
Does the antibody test require a blood draw?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
China closes its borders to foreign Chinese.

People start worrying about the coronavirus impact on poorer countries.
https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...poor-countries

I already posted the PRC MOFA's announcement in this thread (Post #1518). The announcement did not distinguish between foreign citizens and those foreigners who are of Chinese ethnicity.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:23 PM

532,237 confirmed infections
24,089 dead
124,331 recovered

In the US:

85,594 confirmed infections
1,300 dead
1,868 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
471,311 confirmed infections
21,293 dead
114,642 recovered

In the US:

68,367 confirmed infections
1,031 dead
394 recovered
The US now has the most confirmed infections of any nation on the planet, as well as the most active cases. USA! USA!

It is now highly likely that worldwide infections will top 600k by this time tomorrow. It took 87 days to get to 500k.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 PM

We just have to be the best at everything.

Last edited by Harrington; 03-26-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:29 PM

#1! With a bullet, baby!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Does the antibody test require a blood draw?
Yes and no. It requires blood, but at least some of the antibody tests that are being, um, tested, can be done with a drop of blood from a finger prick. Also, they can be done in 45 minutes, not the hours it takes to transcribe the viral RNA from a throat swab.

(I no longer have the reference handy, but I googled a day or two ago and found a couple of companies that have not-yet-approved antibody tests already, along with details of how they work.)
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
The US now has the most confirmed infections of any nation on the planet, as well as the most active cases. USA! USA!

That chant is so tired. Let's change it up!

Quote:
USA! Co-ro-na! USA! Co-ro-na!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:50 PM

Taiwan news:

Yesterday was up to 252 with 17 more cases, 15 of which are imported and only two which are from community transmission. Fortunately, the transmission route for both of the new cases are known.

In one of the local infections, the man in his 60s contracted the virus from a family member who had visited the United States in early January and was diagnosed with COVID-19 a few days after returning to Taiwan on March 19.

The new patient was tested because of his proximity to that family member but had not been showing any symptoms of COVID-19, the CECC said.

The Taiwanese government is moving ahead on other planning. My school is following government guidance on developing a contingency plan for online teaching. We will have a training session next Wednesday.

Health Minister Chen Shih-chung heads the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) and is widely respected and trusted here in Taiwan. He give a daily update, announcing the news for the day.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:25 AM

By the way, I expect the US total confirmed infections to top 100K tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:35 AM

I wonder when Trump is going to order all testing to stop. At this point, it's really making him look bad.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The widespread obsession, here and in the media in general, with total numbers of cases and deaths, puzzles me.

Why is there so much discussion of totals by country, yet only sporadic mentions of numbers of cases per country per capita?

There is so much hand-wringing over which country is ahead in total numbers. Italy for the win! Wait, Spain ahead by a length now! United States coming from behind, may take the lead next week! It sounds like a day at the horse races.

Why is there so little emphasis on the numbers per capita? The Unites States is a big country. Seen that way, we're nowhere near Italy or Spain in the numbers.

Same remark applies to the numbers being tested. We may have tested more than South Korea by now, but does that mean we're ahead of South Korea in testing?
Wait for it.
That will come. {GRIMLY}
Old 03-27-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
By the way, I expect the US total confirmed infections to top 100K tomorrow.
Yes, and just 11 days ago, this total was only 100k for the entire world (excluding China). Of course, part of this was due to lack of testing.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why is there so little emphasis on the numbers per capita? The Unites States is a big country. Seen that way, we're nowhere near Italy or Spain in the numbers.
The US now has more confirmed cases than China, which has four times our population.

Do you really need another statistic?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:25 AM

Boris Johnson tests positive for Coronavirus.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
Where is your herd immunity now?!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
And now the Health Secretary Matt Hancock.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendish Astronaut View Post
And now the Health Secretary Matt Hancock.
Quote:
Several weeks ago, Johnson had pledged he would “go on shaking hands with everybody.”
https://apnews.com/9099bff02a25d38a2777f5a6d7c40fc1
Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I wonder when Trump is going to order all testing to stop. At this point, it's really making him look bad.
They seem to be pulling back on testing again. Instead of ramping up and testing everyone, they are recommending testing only for those who are critically ill.

You don't have outright ban testing (and make the news about having done so) to significantly reduce testing.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Fascinating video featuring a cell phone tracking map of where Fort Lauderdale spring breakers dispersed to.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
They seem to be pulling back on testing again. Instead of ramping up and testing everyone, they are recommending testing only for those who are critically ill.

You don't have outright ban testing (and make the news about having done so) to significantly reduce testing.
Hold on a second, was testing everyone ever a goal?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
Hold on a second, was testing everyone ever a goal?
I was exaggerating, but imho, the goal ought to be too rest everyone with a snuggle and everyone in contact with anyone who tested positive, and quarantine all the people who test positive. That's a lot less disruptive than "quarantine the entire country", and also more feasible.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I was exaggerating, but imho, the goal ought to be too rest everyone with a snuggle...
I wholeheartedly support this goal. We could all use more rest and snuggles right now.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I was exaggerating, but imho, the goal ought to be too rest everyone with a snuggle
I also wholeheartedly support this goal.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 03-27-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:20 PM

Lol, I guess i should proofread my autocorrect more carefully.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

The US government reportedly has a stockpile of 1.5 million expired N95 masks in storage as hospitals around the country face critical shortage

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines for using expired masks in February, stating that masks that are past their manufacturer-designated shelf life are no longer certified by the CDC but can be considered for use in the event of an emergency, like COVID-19.

According to the CDC, expired masks can still be effective if stored correctly.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:03 PM

U.S. hits 100,000 confirmed cases:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 03-27-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Lol, I guess i should proofread my autocorrect more carefully.
At least it didn't call anyone "retarded."
Old 03-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Teenage boy whose death was linked to COVID-19 turned away from urgent care for not having insurance

Lancaster is in the Antelope Valley, at the western end of the Mojave Desert. It is in Los Angeles County. I used to live there.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I got linked to this University of Washington institution’s projection site for hospital resources: https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Their home state actually doesn’t fare TOO badly on a relative scale, which surprised me a bit considering how they were an early hot spot.

New York, on the other hand... man, they need help.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:43 PM

I know from the recent large bush fires in Aus, that expired masks have perished elastic bands. If they are carefully stored, and are only just past their expiry date, they may be OK. If they are old, they are worthless.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:46 PM

NPR Station Stops Airing Trump Coronavirus Briefings For 'False Information'

Kind of says it all, doesn't it?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The other MSM need to get on board with this. But they shouldn't stop running them all together. They should tape them, then run them edited down to snippets or sound bites with a fact check immediately provided. Or even better, run a recording of the briefing, then pause the screen while someone appears in another window with facts, video, charts, whatever is necessary to show what was fact and what was a lie. Then proceed, bite by bite, until the whole buffet of lies is consumed, chewed up, and spit out. Then let nature take its course. We have the technology.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:12 PM

Trump just signed the $2 trillion stimulus/relief bill into law.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:14 PM

Trying to keep up; this might've already posted somewhere.

From Canada:
John Strupat, a retired respiratory therapist, designed a pandemic ventilator that he's open sourced online.

Quote:
Retired respiratory therapist John Strupat said he made the decision after failing to get any kind of serious consideration to make the life-saving device from federal governments in Canada or the United States.

"It's been two weeks," he said. "The pace is too slow. The [infection] numbers aren't even plateauing and I don't know what else to try."

Strupat is making his design open source at a critical time, as hospitals brace for a potential surge of Canadian COVID-19 cases and with it a cruel reckoning: there may be not enough ventilators to go around if the infection rate spirals out of control like it has in Italy or Spain.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 PM

Today in Austria:
  • Der Standard reports on a Viennese professor who, in the middle of February, set sail on his own craft from France, bound for Turkey. Once the coronavirus crisis hit, he tried to cut his trip short, but no European country would let him dock in their ports, nor even drop anchor in sight of land. Now he and his small crew are stranded in the Mediterranean. They're not yet worried as they still have four weeks of provisions, and say that they have the best quarantine in the world. But if they're not able to make landfall in four weeks, they will get in touch with the Austrian authorities to arrange a rescue. (I'm not exactly sure how the Austrian government will manage this as the country's saltwater navy was disbanded a hundred years ago.)
  • The interior minister has announced that Austria is shutting its borders to all asylum seekers who do not possess a health certificate showing that they are free of the virus. Of course, even non-refugees in neighbouring countries can't get tested on demand, so this new measure de facto excludes all refugees from Austria for the time being.
  • Austria has some rather strict blue laws. In general, this means that all retail stores, including supermarkets, must remain closed on Sunday. However, since the self-isolation measures were enacted, supermarkets' home delivery services have been overloaded; anyone who tries to order food online will find delivery slots fully booked for over a week in advance. So today the government has relaxed the rules, allowing supermarkets to work on Sundays, but only for the purposes of home delivery.
  • Today there's yet another massive (17 km) traffic jam at the Austrian–Hungarian border, this time for trucks carrying goods eastwards. This is because Romania has recently imposed health checks at the Hungarian–Romanian border, leading to a huge backup of traffic on the Hungarian side. In order to prevent it from getting any longer, the Hungarian authorities are slowing the entry of further vehicles from Austria.
  • Staying on the topic of the Austrian–Hungarian border, which until now had remained open only for the transport of goods and for cross-border workers, the Austrian government has now imposed a mandatory 14-day quarantine on incoming cross-border workers, making cross-border work impractical. This has effectively cut by 20% the entire state of Burgendland's workforce, who cross over each day from neighbouring Hungary. Burgenland's prime minister has called on the federal governments of Austria and Hungary to urgently revisit this issue.
  • As of today at 17:00, self-employed people could apply for government aid (up to €6000 within a three-month period) via the Chamber of Commerce website. 130 people have been enlisted to process an expected 100,000 applications over the weekend.
  • In an effort to stop the spread of the virus via debit card terminals, the payment limit for using your contactless debit card without entering your PIN has been raised from €25 to €50.
  • Current statistics: 7688 confirmed infections, 58 dead, 9 recovered. 170,800 people have registered as unemployed since 15 March. This represents a spike in the unemployment rate from 4.6% to 6.5%.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:49 PM

psychonaut, your posts are excellent. Difficult and sometimes heartbreaking news, but I'm very grateful for how succinctly you manage to convey so much information.

I feel as if I have a very good tho condensed view of what's going on in Austria because of your posts; thank you.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Trump just signed the $2 trillion stimulus/relief bill into law.
Yes but he's overriding an important part of it.

JUST IN: Trump signing statement on coronavirus bill says he’ll override a provision requiring the newly created inspector general to report to Congress any time agencies refuse to give him/her requested info.

From here: https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...64170496688129
Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 PM

I'm not sure he has the power to do that.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 PM

Who's going to stop him?
Old 03-27-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Who's going to stop him?
Certainly not the Democrats.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
The thing that's going to cause social unrest is that this will not be applied across the board; the wealthy and well-connected will get full medical treatment no matter what their age or pre-existing conditions.

That will be true in every nation of the world (I'd guess).
Right now, the "hot spots" in my city, Toorak, Prahran, Malvern, are the wealthy suburbs containing people who had money and opportunity to take winter holidays (skiing) in northern-hemisphere countries like the USA and Switzerland.

I feel guilty about saying it. but HA I say. HA.

(Melb.vic.au. Compared to other countries, 'warmish spots')
Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 PM

Fox business news canned the woman who said the virus was a hoax to bring down Trump

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/media...ews/index.html
Old 03-27-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Right now, the "hot spots" in my city, Toorak, Prahran, Malvern, are the wealthy suburbs containing people who had money and opportunity to take winter holidays (skiing) in northern-hemisphere countries like the USA and Switzerland.

I feel guilty about saying it. but HA I say. HA.

(Melb.vic.au. Compared to other countries, 'warmish spots')
We're seeing something like that in the USA, too, with the 'spring breakers'---young people financially secure enough to buy air travel and hotels and meals and so on. The working-poor youth really weren't a part of it.

(But everyone is going to have a fairly equal chance to get infected by the returning spring breakers.)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 PM

ABC News tonight said that 500 NYPD officers have tested positive, and 3000 others are self-quarantined.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Public health information is decentralized here, and there's a free press - sucks for him.

The bodies are going to start piling up. Not even midnight and we're at 430 deaths today and climbing - rapidly. We're headed for 1000 COVID-19 deaths nightly. Cities like New York, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Atlanta or going to look like Milan and Wuhan. We've not seen the worst of it. It'll be quite the sight to see Trump goofing off in front of a camera with juvenile pot shots at Mitt Romney and Jay Inslee while convoys are carting off truck loads of coffins that will be taken to funerals without mourners. It's going to be a shock event.

That being said I'm hardly rubbing my hands with glee. This is a defining moment in American history. The first major pandemic in 100 years, and the first one to be monitored by mass media live in real-time. This will be as shocking as Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, and images of hundreds of dead servicemen coming into the living room each night in 1968, and it could be all of these rolled up into one. It's not just dead Americans; it's dead Americans by the hundreds - at home. It's not just one part of the country; it's everywhere. If you're an optimist, it's an event that could either give us a newfound moment of clarity and perhaps some unity. If you're a pessimist, then it's the beginning of a national unraveling. If you're a realist: you accept either outcome.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:12 PM

597,267 confirmed infections
27,365 dead
133,363 recovered

In the US:

104,205 confirmed infections
1,701 dead
2,525 recovered

Yesterday's numbers for comparison:
Quote:
532,237 confirmed infections
24,089 dead
124,331 recovered

In the US:

85,594 confirmed infections
1,300 dead
1,868 recovered
On 24 March, the US lost 225 people. On 25 March we lost 247. Yesterday we lost 268. Today the US lost 401 people. Tomorrow may see 500 deaths.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:32 PM

Rhode Island National Guard are going to go door to door looking for New Yorkers to force them into quarantine.
https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavi...elers-from-ny/
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM
Elephant Whisperer

All of Hawaii is on lockdown now, supposedly. It is quieter out there but far from deserted. I can move around freely, because while I've never said exactly what it is I do here in Hawaii, I am firmly in the Essential category. But I sure do see a lot of non-essential folks running around. Restaurants are all closed except for takeout. Most places are closed -- shopping malls parks.Unemployment id Hawaii was less than 3% last week. This week, it's shot up past 12% and still rising.