Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

How big is your closet?

Our house was built in 1975. The master bedroom closet is a whopping 5' wide, and the closets in the other 2 bedrooms were each 4'. Coming from a house that had 2 walk-in closets, this was a bit of an adjustment. But we found something that works.

One of the other closets backed to the master, so we walled it off on the bedroom side and opened it on the master side, giving us an extra 4'. Then we installed upper and lower shelves with hanger bars - shirts on top, pants on the bottom in the smaller closet, and only a partial shelf on the bottom of the larger closet to accommodate my few longer garments. Then we built a 4' closet in the corner of the bedroom that lost its closet.

I guess in '75, people didn't have as many clothes, or they just crammed them all in. Our modifications made for more usable space.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:14 AM

Our house was built in 1950. All closets are exactly the same size, roughly 3x4 sq ft. We don't really use them for anything but long-term storage. We have created storage everywhere else we can. I put up shelves everywhere, we bought a humongous bookcase storage bed, we have multiple dressers and storage bins. There's only the two of us so it's not that big a deal. Most of my clothes are just piled on the floor anyways.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM

I have a Cape Cod type house, the master bedroom has 4 closets. 3 are on the front wall, the left and right ones are smallish with a angled ceilings, you can't stand up in them because of the descending pitch of the roof/ceiling but they are about 5' wide by 4' deep. The middle one is walk-in with 2 big sliding mirror doors, it has rods and shelves on both sides, and a window. It is about 6' x 4' with full-height ceiling. The other closet is on the back left side of the bedroom and is deep and narrow, maybe 3.5' wide and 7' deep.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:23 AM

2400 sq. feet
Old 03-26-2020, 10:36 AM

1960 for our house, MBR closet is 5', 2 bedrooms have 4' and the smallest room is only 3'. All are about 2' deep. We do have 2 coat closets but both are smallish, about 3'x 2'.

Bigger closets seems to have become a lot more common in the 70s. Keep in mind really old houses often didn't have built-in closets in the bedrooms at all. It wasn't until around 1900 to 1910 they really started becoming common. There was exceptions of course earlier.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:39 AM

I have a huge walk-in. Don't nearly need that much room.
I have had imaginings of making into a secret torture chamber.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

It's pretty darn big, and has a window! I don't know how big, but I could be in there with the ironing board set up and my husband would still have enough room to come in and change clothes. It has shelves and racks and stuff too.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:26 AM

My house was built in 1790, but its design is somewhat earlier, as at that time this was more or less the frontier of New England, and people were conservative in their vernacular style . There is a broom closet downstairs in what was originally the "keeping room", and front hall closet maybe 4' wide under the front stairs. Upstairs there is a linen closet in the bathroom, under the attic stairs, another little nook under the other attic stairs (yes, two attics), and sort of a dog-leg passageway into what was once the upstairs parlor room which was converted into a small closet about 3' wide.

There are no other closets. Back then, people had freestanding wardrobes for their church-going nice clothes and chests for their regular clothes, of which they had a couple changes.

Our bedroom was the former inhabitants' den or something; there is shelving, cabinets, and a few drawers, across one whole wall that is clearly fairly new; we use that for clothes. We don't have as many clothes as some people I guess.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
There are no other closets. Back then, people had freestanding wardrobes for their church-going nice clothes and chests for their regular clothes, of which they had a couple changes.
Based on what I'd learned on guided tours of other houses from that era, I'd thought houses back then didn't have closets at all, supposedly because property taxes back were assessed based on the number of rooms the house had, and a closet would count as another "room" and increase one's tax bill. Although my experiences with historic homes comes mostly from the South, places Colonial Williamsburg, historic homes in New Bern, NC, and such. Maybe taxation in New England was different.

Anyway, since I'm working from home and am bored, I got a tape measure and went and measured my own closets. This is a 1973 ranch style house, 1143 square feet. The closet in the master bedroom is 7'6" wide, 2' deep. The ones in the smaller bedrooms are both 4' wide. The coat closet near the entryway is about the same size as the one in the master bedroom; I measured something like 7'4", but I may not have been holding the tape measure straight when I measured the MB one so that measurement might be an inch or two high. They've all got sliding doors, and the openenings are all the same size, I'm guessing to accomodate a standard sized set of doors.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 03-26-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:52 PM

House built in the early 80's. Our MBR closet is about 90 sq ft. My wife uses about 75% of it, leaving me the rest.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:10 PM

Downstairs bedroom was remodeled. Originally had 11.5' wide by minimum depth with three huge mirrored sliding doors. It was awful, who needs all those mirrors. After remodeling, I now have a modest walk-in, 6' deep and about 5' wide, with 2-tier rods and shelves on one side and one tier across the back for long garments, and hooks on the other side. Plenty of room for one person's stuff, and small enough it encourages me not to hoard.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:37 PM

I don't know. I haven't been in the closet since 1963.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

German bedrooms don't normally have closets. So, we just turned one of the extra bedrooms into a walk-in closet with a huge, floor-to-ceiling mirror and wall to wall armoires & wardroes throughout. I'm not sure how big the whole thing is about 11ftx 16ft. Something like that.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I don't know. I haven't been in the closet since 1963.
Well, that made me laugh!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:03 PM

New construction but teeny house. My master BR closet is a walk-in, technically - but they did it all wonky and didn't actually think it through. When I have a few hundred dollars I can throw at it, I'm going to redo the hanging rack/shelf doohickey somehow because they gave me a single one across the back wall, maybe 5 feet across. The issue is that they made the door open INTO the closet, and you can't just reverse it, you have to carve out whole new places for hinges and all that mess. I lose the entire inside wall worth of possible hanging/stacking space because of that silly oversight.

Oh, I guess it's about 20 sq ft, but mostly unusable.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:09 AM

Mine have gotten significantly bigger since the stay-at-home. I have 3 contractor bags for donation and more to come. 2 walk-in and 1 hall closet.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:50 AM
Charter Member

My entire apartment is 520 sq ft.

Closets are tiny, here’s a view
https://www.halstedflats.com/floorplans/0.1
Old 03-27-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Like Tears View Post
New construction but teeny house. My master BR closet is a walk-in, technically - but they did it all wonky and didn't actually think it through. When I have a few hundred dollars I can throw at it, I'm going to redo the hanging rack/shelf doohickey somehow because they gave me a single one across the back wall, maybe 5 feet across. The issue is that they made the door open INTO the closet, and you can't just reverse it, you have to carve out whole new places for hinges and all that mess. I lose the entire inside wall worth of possible hanging/stacking space because of that silly oversight.

Oh, I guess it's about 20 sq ft, but mostly unusable.
You could do the redo in phases. Take the door off, hang a curtain instead or folding door. build interior to liking. Then eventually you could change the door to open out. You might find the folding door an actually solution.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
You could do the redo in phases. Take the door off, hang a curtain instead or folding door. build interior to liking. Then eventually you could change the door to open out. You might find the folding door an actually solution.
I considered just taking the door off entirely and shoving another spare bookcase in there (there's already a 6 footer in there with only 2 shelves holding things like bedding and memory boxes) for shoes and such, but right now, pretty much every closet/bathroom door in the house is ALSO holding one of those tiered basket organizers. The teeny closets are literally the ONLY storage spaces in the entire 1179 sq ft house, except for the tiny vanity cabinets and the kitchen cabinets.

When we moved in here, we lost 700 sq ft of space, most of which was pure storage in the form of an attic loft in the old house. It's also open concept save for the bedrooms = no walls to add storage furniture on! I've purged as much as I can, and it's a continuing process, but downsizing is rough.

So I do think it's going to be an all-at-once kind of deal, but you're right! The door might just have to go and I make a smooth transition from bedroom to closet space. Perhaps a full on organization system in there for all the small doodads like fragrance bottles and deodorant and lotions that currently live on the tiered basket thingy.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:19 PM

I live in a 3BR ranch. One BR is a closet. I also have a very large master bedroom with good sized his and hers closets. Small hallway closet from back when one person didn't have 20 pieces of outerwear. 3rd bedroom is now my "office", good sized closet there, needs shelves to be an efficient use of space.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:37 PM

1972 house. Master closet is 6 x 6'
Old 03-28-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
2400 sq. feet
My wife has taken over every closet in the house, plus two spare rooms, and has her eyes on my man-cave garage.

I am trying to hold out but am learning that resistance is futile, the garage will be assimilated.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:27 PM

Our house was built in 1904. My personal closet was meant to be the coat closet, which means I get dressed in the front room. It's a small walk-in, with about three and a half feet of clothes-hanging space to the right of the door and enough room for my dresser to the left.

The other two closets are upstairs in the bedrooms. They each have tiny dormer windows. The slope and angles of the roof cut down a lot on usable space but there's about five feet of space to hang clothes in each of them. Hubby has lived here a lot longer than me. Those closets (and the second bedroom) are pretty much full of stuff already.

Last edited by Hopeful Crow; 03-28-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:35 PM

I have a 1983 townhouse. Our condo development actually did a decent job with closets. My bedroom closet runs the full width of my bedroom -- I'd guesstimate 10 or 12 feet. It's not a walk-in. When we remodeled about ten years ago, our GC took out the wonky hanging thingy (you had to hang the hangers backward) and weak shelving, and replaced them with full plywood shoe shelving, solid maple hanging bars, and additional shelving in an area to the side on the left of the opening and was kind of a black hole before.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:29 PM

Mine is roughly 10’x12’. I have a bed in there and it doubles as my guest room and yoga room. The actual closet part, a wall and a half of built-in hanging racks and dressers, takes up less than half the room.

I love it. It’s very private because you have to walk all the way through my bedroom, then all the way through my bathroom to access it. I had some concerns about using it as a guest room because there is only one entrance and no windows and I’m freaky about safety.

So I keep a big axe in the corner and I’ve marked the spot where there’s an unobstructed space on the other side of the wall in the garage. In an emergency, I can make my own exit. Someday, I’m going to cut a section of the wall out and put hinges on it but I haven’t gotten around to it.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-28-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
My wife has taken over every closet in the house, plus two spare rooms, and has her eyes on my man-cave garage.

I am trying to hold out but am learning that resistance is futile, the garage will be assimilated.
You and I understand each other. She has well and truly started in on my Sanctuary.

I'm probably down to 1800 sq feet already.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:09 AM

I've lived in places with no, or tiny, or adequate, or huge closets. Whatever. Our current (since 2002) mountain "cabin" is a trailer - well, a triple-wide modular of about 2200 interior square footage. The master bedroom's walk-in is about 5x13 feet with doors ar each end. The secondary bedroom's squeeze-in is about 3x9 feet with mirrored sliding door for that erotic zest. A 20-foot shipping container came with the property; that's our extra closet space. The closet in the 25-foot-long RV might be 15 inches square and 3 feet high but the bathroom is large.

Nearby inlaws live in a mountain McMansion. The finished basement is their extra closet. Wow.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:06 AM

Swiss homes do not have closets in the bedrooms. We have a wardrobe and 2x dressers in our bedroom.

There is a linen closet in the hallway, where all the cleaning supplies and vacuum cleaner lives and a closed in the foyer, which has coats, bags (camera, hiking backpacks, etc.) and the recycling.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:55 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

When we bought this place, before we made the closet changes, all the doors were mirrored sliding panels. That resulted in a mere 18" actual opening, so storing larger containers was pretty close to impossible. The hall closet now has a full-width door, and the bedrooms have bi-fold doors. Not my favorites, but they use minimal floor space, and we have nearly the full 3' open. We also added shelves to fill the void in the top of the closets and add storage space.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

When I inherited my mothers house, the master bedroom has two walk-ins, each big enough to drop a twin bed in and have room left over. The second bedroom has a small walk-in, maybe 5' by 7'. Two years, and I'm still donating her cloths.