Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 PM

I can already see the narratives spewing out. Let's say the Coronavirus outbreak does get a little worse, peaks and then largely recedes by May. The stocks come back, the economy comes back strong, maybe not really to where it was but there is a perception of strength and return to normalcy.

With six months at that point left till the election Trump will run as the president who defeated the virus. Man, it's like Joe Biden doesn't even exist right now, he hasn't really been in the news.

Last edited by pool; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
The Trump campaign is actually suing in court about this other ad: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...35820757204992
This needs to turn into a Streisand Effect.

It's very telling that the campaign is going after content providers rather than trying to sue Priorities USA.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-25-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Just dropped in to say that my father-in-law had Fucker Carlson on tonight. They're beating the gun control gun big time. In spite of the sunshine that Trump is spewing, Carlson had people on decrying that cities are closing gun shops just as unrest is breaking out. They went on with how prisoners are being let out of jails, police and ordinary people are afraid to intervene when a crime is being committed right in front of them, and crime is rising in our major cities. Of course, they didn't provide much evidence of this new sequel to The Purge, but they were very clear that the libs are disarming America in the face of coming lawlessness.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
The Trump campaign is actually suing in court about this other ad: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...35820757204992
Well in fairness it is a nasty ad.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Trump would have had to massively fail for this to really hurt him. And he hasn't massively failed. He's made good calls and bad calls. He's said the right thing, and incredibly stupid things. But by and large, he's done what other world leaders have been doing - some things better than most, some things not.
You can’t be serious. This is a joke, right?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm blood View Post
You can’t be serious. This is a joke, right?
Gavin Newsome, governor of California apparently doesn't think it's a joke:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...491294%3famp=1
Old 03-25-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Well in fairness it is a nasty ad.

Kind of like the "nasty" women who ask him questions at press conferences?

ETA: All that 16-day-old Newsweek cite shows is that Newsom (whose ex-wife is now Donald Trump Jr.'s fiancée, which is beyond bizarre including the fact that she's actually several years older than he is, a real faux pas in Trump World) was narrowly satisfied with Trump's assistance regarding one single cruise ship. There was no other subject discussed in his statement.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-25-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:

ETA: All that 16-day-old Newsweek cite shows is that Newsom (whose ex-wife is now Donald Trump Jr.'s fiancée, which is beyond bizarre including the fact that she's actually several years older than he is, a real faux pas in Trump World) was narrowly satisfied with Trump's assistance regarding one single cruise ship. There was no other subject discussed in his statement.
Say what you want and I don't necessarily disagree but I think this is Trump's shining moment where he will look the most presidential he ever has if only as a matter of perception by the public and his poll numbers seem to reflect that.

Last edited by pool; 03-26-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure who's whooshing who, but yeah that's what I meant. The new definition of "nasty" is anyone or anything that exposes Trump's wrongdoing.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Say what you want and I don't necessarily disagree but I think this is Trump's shining moment where he will look the most presidential he ever has if only as a matter of perception by the public and his poll numbers seem to reflect that.
I think he looks like shit, to be honest. With each new press conference he looks and sounds more haggard, tired, confused, and impotent than the last. He can't troll his way out of this, and he can't dismiss it with smug sarcasm or cutting remarks. He looks like shit, but the Democrats look equally impotent and pathetic.

Before all of this shit really hit the fan, I thought Biden was looking sort of halfway decent. He had some momentum from the primary and he sounded like he had some balls when he spoke. But my faith in his ability to deliver the election is eroding quickly. The Coronavirus is a game changer and neither Biden nor any of his surrogates have really "seized the moment" with the necessary rhetoric and public presence. I realize that campaigning is severely hindered when everyone is sequestered like this, and there's a limit to how much he can do.

I actually just talked to my dad about this - a very depressing conversation. He had been extremely sanguine about Biden and confident that he was the man to make Trump a one-term president, even with (what he perceives to be) Bernie undermining his campaign. Until this past week. He said, "with all the money Bloomberg is supposedly pumping into the Democratic campaign, we ought to be seeing an absolute barrage of well-produced and hard-hitting attack ads hammering the shit out of Trump's mishandling of this pandemic...where are they?"
Old 03-26-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I can already see the narratives spewing out. Let's say the Coronavirus outbreak does get a little worse, peaks and then largely recedes by May.
Exponential curves don't work that way. Don't believe me; check with immunologists.

Let's say the prognosis is pretty much as forecast but Tramp and Pants (and immediate families) get excellent medical care. Meanwhile millions are dead, tens of millions are sick, zillions are not working, and the bailout checks have run out. Your family, friends, and ex-co-workers are coughing up blood, same as many in the US. What happens to Tramp and Pants when their protective squads start losing spouses, parents, children?

COVID could end this administration long before the scheduled general election.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I actually just talked to my dad about this - a very depressing conversation. He had been extremely sanguine about Biden and confident that he was the man to make Trump a one-term president, even with (what he perceives to be) Bernie undermining his campaign. Until this past week. He said, "with all the money Bloomberg is supposedly pumping into the Democratic campaign, we ought to be seeing an absolute barrage of well-produced and hard-hitting attack ads hammering the shit out of Trump's mishandling of this pandemic...where are they?"

I suspect the reason we aren't seeing that yet is because there are political grandees advising Bloomberg who agree with David Axelrod that it's too risky to run ads like that right now. And they might be right--I'm really torn about that. But there's still plenty of time. And Trump looks like he's getting ready to make a potentially grave political error by getting businesses to reopen in mid-April, just when things are likely to be getting a lot worse.

I do agree that it's somewhat deflating that we will never get to see the alternate reality of Biden coming out of Super Tuesday on a tear and potentially rolling through a normal political season from there. Whatever else we can say about this unprecedented scenario we are living through, it's actually pretty unsatisfying for a political junkie. Baseball and basketball fans aren't the only ones not getting their "fix" these days.

However, I also believe that Trump is limited in how much he can gain here. It kind of feels like, even with all the bizarre circumstance around this election, people have already made their minds up about Trump long ago and we are just going to get what we were always going to get in the election, no matter what happens with the coronavirus and no matter what ads anyone does or does not run. I think "what we were always going to get" most likely means a comfortable Biden win in the popular vote and a narrow Biden win in the Electoral College. Not a lock by any means, but if it's an even money bet I'll take Biden rather than Trump. Give me Trump as a 2-1 underdog, and he looks like a better bet. So I guess Biden is to my mind something like a 60 percent favorite. (Which is not, to be very clear, the same as saying he is going to get 60 percent of the vote! Probably more like 52 percent.)

Quote:
I'm not sure who's whooshing who, but yeah that's what I meant.

Why does anyone need to be whooshing anyone here? I thought we were just both riffing on the same phenomenon.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 03-26-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, strictly from a cold political standpoint, I don’t think the pandemic has gotten bad enough yet for attack ads to really be effective. Seems to me the best time will be on a downswing in cases, so folks aren’t distracted worrying about themselves and loved ones and Trump has more of a “record” to focus on. Remember, a majority appear to approve of his handling so far. I don’t think that makes for an opportune time for Democratic ads,
Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I can already see the narratives spewing out. Let's say the Coronavirus outbreak does get a little worse, peaks and then largely recedes by May. The stocks come back, the economy comes back strong, maybe not really to where it was but there is a perception of strength and return to normalcy.

With six months at that point left till the election Trump will run as the president who defeated the virus. Man, it's like Joe Biden doesn't even exist right now, he hasn't really been in the news.
True. This crisis is bad for oppositions world over. They are mostly irrelevant. Speak up too much, be accused of politicking in times of peril. If the Government does well, they get a bump. They do poorly, everyone's fucked anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico
Meanwhile millions are dead, tens of millions are sick, zillions are not working, and the bailout checks have run out. Your family, friends, and ex-co-workers are coughing up blood, same as many in the US. What happens to Tramp and Pants when their protective squads start losing spouses, parents, children?

COVID could end this administration long before the scheduled general election.
Dude, that the Black Death, Plague of Justinian level of bad. At that stage, elections and politics will be the last thing on anyone's mind. At that stage question is not Donald Trump's re-election, its the survival of the US as an entity.

Last edited by AK84; 03-26-2020 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:55 AM

"Millions dead" could mean two million, which would be the same percentage of the population that died from the 1918 flu. That was a tough hit, but it wasn't the end times and didn't cause discontinuity in society or government.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:41 AM

2 million means almost every household loses a member or knows someone who did. At the same time.
Again, no one will give a fig about national elections then.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Why does anyone need to be whooshing anyone here? I thought we were just both riffing on the same phenomenon.
Well I wasn't sure. But Ok then
Old 03-26-2020, 04:20 AM

Either way, there is an opportunity here for the Democrats to peel a lot of potential Trump voters away from Trump. Let me just use one example. Due to numerous family friends on FB, people from my parents' circles (ages 55 - 70, generally), and THEIR mutual friends and all the attendant exchange of ideas, being on there along with all my friends from MY generation, my Facebook feed every day is this weird mix of crazy punk rockers and hippies and drag queens and insane car modders on one hand, and then a bunch of retired Colonels and Lieutenant Commanders and military aviators and mechanical engineers with advanced degrees - guys who were Eagle Scouts at the point in their lives when I was lost in a cloud of weed and booze.

(It's really funny when I'll post some video of my band or a flippant remark about daily life, and one of the 'likes' will be from a man who flew F-4 Phantoms over Vietnam and attended Naval War College and the other 'like' will be from a dude who is basically Badger from "Breaking Bad".)

I get to see, every day, these very upstanding, flag-saluting, God-and-country, Cold Warrior people talking to each other about the events of the day. They're maybe 50/50 Democrats and Republicans. Some of them are quite liberal, but some of them absolutely think the world of Donald Trump. It's not so much that they think he's a great guy or that he has anything whatsoever in common with them, but they would still rather have a Republican in office than a Democrat, in the final analysis, and that's just the end of the story.

But that story could have an alternate ending. Could you imagine if Joe Biden organized a press conference where 10 retired combat-decorated military officers and senior NCOs -- I mean the most rigid, carved-out-of-stone motherfuckers you can possibly imagine, guys who all look like Charlton Heston and George C. Scott - and throw in a handful of the best surgeons and scientists in the country whose medical credentials are unimpeachable - and simply went down the line and said, in the most dire tone of voice imaginable:

"Donald Trump has absolutely no idea how to be a leader. He is flying by the seat of his pants with no plan and no long-term strategy. I know what strategy is. I know what leadership is. THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF IT."

They don't need to talk about bone spurs and try to call him a coward. All they need to do is say, "this man is not a leader. He doesn't know what he is doing. He is disorganized and sloppy." I am telling you, I know how to read people, and this approach WOULD turn Trump voters into Biden voters.

All BIDEN would have to do is shut the fuck up and let THEM make the point for him.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 AM

Personally I don't see that working. Bear in mind the trump administration has turned on decorated war veterans plenty of times and had little to no blowback.

In your hypothetical, FOX would say "Look at Biden trying to exploit our brave soldiers" then try to find dirt on all of them, maybe find that one of them donated to the DNC once and that would be that. The kind of person who only watches FOX would lap that up and the next opinion poll would again show Trump at 44% or whatever i.e. nothing's changed.

And that's the thing -- I just can't think of what could bring Trump down now, apart from truly absurd scenarios like Trump jerking off on live TV. He's done countless disqualifying things, even before elected. But if one half of the country only listens to propaganda, and that propaganda is not going away, we're in a sick equilibrium.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
apart from truly absurd scenarios like Trump jerking off on live TV.
That’s not an absurd scenario, regrettably.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 AM

Nate Silver uses data to try to start thinking about how the economic downturn might affect Trump’s re-election chances.

“ If I were Trump, I’d want to think six months ahead to the fall. That means I’d want a broad-based stimulus plan that helps ordinary Americans and small businesses to stay afloat during the weeks — or months-long shutdown. I’d want to stamp out the disease as much as possible — even if that means social distancing is in effect for a bit longer. And I’d want to have a Manhattan Project on treatments, testing and surveillance so that the coronavirus is more manageable until a vaccine is developed, which is unlikely until well after Election Day.”

Last edited by JKellyMap; 03-26-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:41 AM

As for Trump’s amazingly consistent approval ratings, that could also hurt him. Nate Silver again:

“ And indeed, Trump’s approval ratings have trended within a narrow range so far throughout the course of his presidency, despite tumultuous events such as the Ukraine scandal and the impeachment proceeding against him.

There is an important catch, however. If the range of possible outcomes is narrower for Trump, that also means the margin of error is lower since the outcome is more predictable.”
Old 03-26-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
I don't see a square. I don't see a circle.

I see a cylinder. That's why I am also capable of seeing that Trump is a bullshit-spewing jackass.

It's not that complicated.
It is more complicated than that, if you can't see why other people would think different, or in spite of agreeing that he is a "bullshit-spewing jackass" would prefer him over the other alternative (and the fact you have a political system were there's only one alternative is another problem) then you clearly are not seeing things from other people's point of view, and that was the point I brought up.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I'm sure before all is said and done, we'll see a variety. He's a target rich environment!

ETA: Bush had a recession and Saddam's invasion of Kuwait, I think those count.
Suing for what? It's literally just his own words superimposed over a graph of coronavirus incidence over time, with the quotes laid out at the date he said them. What possible lawsuit could one file?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Suing for what? It's literally just his own words superimposed over a graph of coronavirus incidence over time, with the quotes laid out at the date he said them. What possible lawsuit could one file?
Aren't there supposed to be sanctions on Lawyers who abuse the process in truly obviously frivolous ways?

Why haven't they been invoked against the Trump legal team? I know even guilty clients deserve representation, but aren't there supposed to be certain ethical limits?

I'm joking of course. Any statement (or paragraph even) that uses Trump and ethics together should be read as sarcasm.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. Fucking snowflakes.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:20 AM

Trump's support is baked in. If you like him you'll see his coronavirus handling as great even if grandma dies. It was the fucking Chinese coverup that killed her. There is virtually no realistic "what if" scenario that's going to wildly swing these either way.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Aren't there supposed to be sanctions on Lawyers who abuse the process in truly obviously frivolous ways?

Why haven't they been invoked against the Trump legal team? I know even guilty clients deserve representation, but aren't there supposed to be certain ethical limits?

I'm joking of course. Any statement (or paragraph even) that uses Trump and ethics together should be read as sarcasm.
My bold.

There's the PASSIVE VOICE again! Nothing WILL BE DONE about anything, because there is no one to do it!

Sanctions?? Sanctions, rules, consequences only matter if someone follows up on them. All have beamed down to the planet and there's not even anyone left to turn out the lights.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That link in the tweet, the one which starts with assets.donaldjtrump.com/2017/web/hero ? It's a PDF of a redacted copy of the complaint and contains the same spin which they use to convince their incurious followers.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-26-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Trump's support is baked in. If you like him you'll see his coronavirus handling as great even if grandma dies. It was the fucking Chinese coverup that killed her. There is virtually no realistic "what if" scenario that's going to wildly swing these either way.
This.

If you look at 538, Trump's support has gone UP not down.

Trump was right from day one when he said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and not lose voters. I am shocked how long it has taken people to come to grips with that.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
And if there's widespread looting and crime it will be because of Antifa.

(or more seriously: the fault of anyone criticizing trump. We made people panic. If we all had just been nice to trump, it would never have got beyond 15 cases...)
Old 03-26-2020, 11:07 AM

I was talking with my therapist last night, and he said that he's been hearing people say they were changing their minds about voting from Trump.

On the other hand, my personal experience with the people on that team is that they have not changed their minds whatsoever. So I don't know what my anxiety level should be here; "the plural of anecdote is not data" goes both ways.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:

In a nutshell, they're asserting that when Trump said "hoax", he meant that they were "politicizing" the virus. To support this, they point to him referring to the "Impeachment hoax" earlier in the same statement, with the conclusion that he's not calling the facts of the virus a hoax, just the Democrat's use of the virus for political reasons.

Of course, the problem is that, when he called impeachment a hoax, he was also adamant that all the facts of the impeachment were also fake. He didn't just claim that the Democrats were spinning the facts for political reasons, he claimed that the things they were saying were facts were incorrect. So their defense is somewhat threadbare to the eyes of anyone paying attention.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
I was talking with my therapist last night, and he said that he's been hearing people say they were changing their minds about voting from Trump.

On the other hand, my personal experience with the people on that team is that they have not changed their minds whatsoever. So I don't know what my anxiety level should be here; "the plural of anecdote is not data" goes both ways.

Just remember that he didn't win by all that much last time. It doesn't take much of a swing for him to lose that critical edge. A few percent in a few states, and he's out on his ass.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 AM

No, it won't. He will not loose
Old 03-26-2020, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Will not loose the dogs of war? Well, let's hope not.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
You can't lie your way out of an economic collapse and daddy is long dead. Trump is toast.
All the things happening now..The S&P 500, The DOW, Trump's approval rating, the stimulus, the bailouts, the faux benevolence...don't matter for shit.

The dying has just begun, and more people will die from Covid-19 in America than anywhere else on this planet. If we could stop it, even if it meant a second term for Trump, we would. Right? We would. But we can't, and Trump will never be forgiven once it's all over. And he doesn't deserve to be.

Trump is toast.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
The dying has just begun, and more people will die from Covid-19 in America than anywhere else on this planet. If we could stop it, even if it meant a second term for Trump, we would. Right? We would.

I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. I would if it were to make Romney or McCain president instead of Obama, as much as that would hurt. But Trump is so uniquely awful, so dangerous to democracy and to humanity, I'm not sure if the risk of another four years of him as president wouldn't be worse, particularly since it's an unknown quantity. But of course we don't have to make that choice. It's going to be what it's going to be.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
And if there's widespread looting and crime it will be because of Antifa.

(or more seriously: the fault of anyone criticizing trump. We made people panic. If we all had just been nice to trump, it would never have got beyond 15 cases...)
The consistent theme that I seem to see on Boomer Facebook is that the media hates Trump, and the media deliberately created the hysteria, and the hysteria is to blame for the spread of the virus.

You guys have correctly identified the problem... people are dangerously delusional in their support of Trump... but the cause is that they believe The Media is out to destroy Real America. Everyone and everything else is just an agent of The Media. Trump is the shining knight who exposes The Media for the hypocrites they are.

This is what people believe. We know what's going on. It's hard to accept that our fellow Americans could be that mind-bogglingly gullible and parochial, but that's an error of faith rather than an error of logic.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 03-27-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 AM

Right, and we've hit some kind of equilibrium here.

Half the country has some connection to objective reality and hates Trump because of the things he's done and said. The other half only watch FOX, one america or other pro-trump "information" sources; where everything gets spun as something to give Trump credit for, or, far more often, something to blame others for. Even when that means contradicting what they said 5 minutes ago.

Actual events are insufficient to break this status quo. Only two things can:

1. The false reality needs to come down. That means: right-wing media or GOP developing a conscience
2. Actual reality has to change: Trump suddenly, inexplicably, becomes a good president

I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Mijin; 03-27-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:57 AM

There are 2.5 million fox viewers in an evening. Many 2016 trump voters were not in this demo. They can't make up half the country.

The false reality will come down. But the media has been supine and played all kinds of prefascist games for ratings. It's exciting being without the rule of law, and we haven't got tired of it yet. It's a slippery slope.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
The consistent theme that I seem to see on Boomer Facebook is that the media hates Trump, and the media deliberately created the hysteria, and the hysteria is to blame for the spread of the virus.

You guys have correctly identified the problem... people are dangerously delusional in their support of Trump... but the cause is that they believe The Media is out to destroy Real America.
Spend some time reading The Donald reddit (as anyone who wants to stay informed of the political pulse should do from time to time, no matter how much you hate him) and you'll see there's actually a substantial amount of pushback against this narrative - FROM HIS SUPPORTERS.

Yes, Trump supporters - the hardcore ones, the ones who spend hours and hours creating memes and "shitposting" on that subreddit - are actually DOWNVOTING people who are making the above argument. They are human beings after all and now they're starting to actually have people that they personally know, people in their own families, get the coronavirus. Don't get me wrong, Trump is still their guy - BUT even these people are waking up to the fact that the shit is getting real and that it's NOT a hoax.

In broader political terms, this means that if it continues to get worse and if Trump continues to project optics of making mistakes in the handling of it, he does indeed risk some of his hardcore base abandoning him, to say nothing of many swing voters. But this will only work in the Democrats' favor if they step up their messaging.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Spend some time reading The Donald reddit (as anyone who wants to stay informed of the political pulse should do from time to time, no matter how much you hate him) and you'll see there's actually a substantial amount of pushback against this narrative - FROM HIS SUPPORTERS.
I just spent about 5 minutes over there and I see precisely zero of what you're talking about. Same circlejerking as always, plus some drama over some moderation rule tightening that I can't be arsed to care about.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:14 PM

sorry, I think that official Reddit has actually been more or less shut down for the past month. They've moved most of the discussion to another forum, still with the same name, but not hosted by Reddit. That's where I read what I read.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
sorry, I think that official Reddit has actually been more or less shut down for the past month. They've moved most of the discussion to another forum, still with the same name, but not hosted by Reddit. That's where I read what I read.
An unnamed splinter forum of /r/The_Donald. Hokay. Absent a link, I guess I have no choice but to take your word on that.

What I do see is that the MAGAts on Twitter are loonier than ever, and increasingly unhinged with each passing day.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
An unnamed splinter forum of /r/The_Donald. Hokay. Absent a link, I guess I have no choice but to take your word on that.
Evidently they're now an Alexa site.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:22 PM

Look, I think it's frowned upon here to talk about other boards, so I'm not going too specific here. Let it suffice to say that the Trump subreddit and all of its posters have essentially migrated to another forum, with the same name, not hosted by Reddit. And on this forum there is - let's just say - less of a consensus about the narrative than you might expect. I mention this only to make the point that if even THESE people are able to take their blinders off some of the time, surely more swing voters are up for grabs.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

AFAIK, discussing other boards is fine. Encouraging Dopers to stir up trouble on those boards is not.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:43 PM

http://thedonald.win
Quote:
Look, I think it's frowned upon here to talk about other boards, so I'm not going too specific here.
Someone correct me but I think the official rules are (1) don't start board wars, and (2) don't link to hate boards. It's OK to mention that other boards exist. It seems we're talking about a site called thedonald.win

Quote:
And on this forum there is - let's just say - less of a consensus about the narrative than you might expect. I mention this only to make the point that if even THESE people are able to take their blinders off some of the time, surely more swing voters are up for grabs.
Admittedly I only browsed there for a few brief moments, but I personally did not see whatever change of heart or mind that you witnessed. Nobody is claiming the virus is a hoax, which is good, but that narrative would be hard to sell when the entire globe is ankle-deep in bodies at this point.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
AFAIK, discussing other boards is fine. Encouraging Dopers to stir up trouble on those boards is not.
Yeah, here we go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
We do not have a rule against mentioning other sites. We require mod permission for posts intended specifically to draw attention to other sites...
IOW, what HMS said.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-27-2020 at 04:46 PM.