Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Just found out a friend from college has it. He went to a conference which was attended by a lot of people from Italy just before travel was shut down. He had a hard time but is recovering.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:32 AM

A co-worker, approximately 45 years old was diagnosed and on a ventilator for a couple of days. Shes off it and doing better now.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:07 AM

I have a group of women friends who've known each other for 40-ish years and get together monthly, more or less. The son-in-law of one of them has been diagnosed. He and wife (friend's daughter) live in a different city.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:11 PM

Up to seven family members of friends now. Two hospitalized, three in home quarantine. The other two dead. They're not allowing funerals or wakes. Direct cremation without family present only.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdo23 View Post
A second cousin of mine who is part of the US diplomatic mission in Beijing. Not sure of his condition, but hes late 30s, athletic, with no underlying conditions that Im aware of.
He seems to be over it.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:24 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, I have just learned that my cousin in Spain, along with his wife and daughter, have all caught it. My cousin and his wife are in the mid-40s, their daughter is a teenager. My cousin and the daughter are going to get out of it OK, but right now the wife is touch-and-go
Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
A friend who is a home health nurse just tested positive. My sister and BIL are in the same situation and location as NWHs cousins kids; they had an appointment with their doc via telehealth who told them they likely have it but he cant get them tested because of the lockdown and the lack of tests. My BIL is in multiple high-risk categories so my sister is watching him closely.

My husband was likely exposed; hes felt poorly the last few days, as have I, but theres no way wed be able to get a test unless we were hospitalized. So were playing a waiting game at the moment and comparing symptoms with sis and BIL.

I also have a former coworker who is on Day 20 of what shes pretty sure is COVID, but again no test is available for her.
Update: Sister and BIL have mostly recovered. I was directed by our nurse line to go to the ER on 3/22 to have the test, but when I got there they informed me testing was only for first responders/medical staff and folks who were hospitalized with severe symptoms. The ensuing days have been a roller coaster for both me and hubby; several days of awful, a day or two of approaching human, then more awful. I had a telehealth appointment with my cardiologist this morning who advised "aggressively hydrating," Tylenol, and continuing the quarantine. I've been utterly miserable and useless, but hubby has been teleworking the best he can.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:50 PM

Friend in Berkeley CA had all the symptoms including loss of smell, but no fever, March 11. No test of course. Self quarantined and recovered after a week. Brother in law lost a high school friend, also in CA.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:58 PM

I finally had a patient who actually tested positive ( most of the others are just presumed positive and can’t get tested). She is at extremely high risk but was only hospitalized for 4 days and seems to be getting better. Her last office visit was 3-4 weeks ago so she likely wasn’t infectious and we are past the high risk time limit.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:05 PM

One of my teachers in high school has it. He has been to the hospital several times but is recovering at home now.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Up to seven family members of friends now. Two hospitalized, three in home quarantine. The other two dead. They're not allowing funerals or wakes. Direct cremation without family present only.
WhyNot, I am so sorry for your loss. (And JoseB, I so hope that things turn out okay).
Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Yup, my sister. She's at home recovering pretty well, and trying to isolate from her husband on opposite sides of the house.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

My cousin in Belgium. He recovered.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:48 AM

I got a call from my county health department yesterday (I'm also an employee of said county) notifying me that, on March 17, I was exposed someone who has since tested positive. Based on my activities that day, it had to be someone I work with or, at least, in the same small building.
I don't know how far back they went or how far along in the disease the infected person may have been at the time but I do know there were no known cases on March 17 in the county. I've haven't had the slightest bit ill and am now past the maximum "time to show symptoms", so I'm in the clear. Dodged a bullet, I guess. I've been off work and self isolating since March 20 but am still getting paid. Its like a boring vacation but I know that I'm more fortunate than many.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:13 AM

You know, if ever there was a time when it would be nice to see people's locations (actual locations, not some coy line in that space that reveals nothing), it would now.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
You know, if ever there was a time when it would be nice to see people's locations (actual locations, not some coy line in that space that reveals nothing), it would now.
Yes, but then They might find us.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
An elderly man who I used to babysit for, is in the hospital with COVID. I haven't seen him in many years, but my parents are still in touch with him, and he still attends the same church.

He smoked > 40 years, and only stopped after his heart attack 2 years ago.
And he's gone, 13 days after diagnosis. Not far from the Washington state hotspots.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:13 PM

I'm very sorry.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:10 PM

I just did one of these --> .

I was in California, specifically, LA, and more specifically, Legoland, in late December-early January. Returned Jan. 3. Which means I was in LAX on Jan. 3.

Have not left the state, or for that matter, Greater Indianapolis Area, since.

I heard about the coronavirus in China, the one that had not reached the US as soon as it was happening.

The first confirmed US case was Jan. 19, 2020, in Seattle, someone who had just returned from Wuhan.

Indiana's first confirmed case was March 6.

I did not realize until a few days ago that nausea and diarrhea could be a first-onset symptom

Sometime before the first Indiana case, but more than 2 weeks after I had been in LAX, I woke up with a migraine, which is really unusual for me-- I get them in the late afternoon. I was really nauseated, and threw up once, although it was just a sort of baby-puke kind of thing. Took sumatriptan, and it all went away. That evening, I had diarrhea. I have IBS, so nothing out of the ordinary about that, though. Took an immodium, and it went away.

Next day, nose was running, and I was coughing a little, but it was productive. I get seasonal allergies, and post-nasal drip that can cause a cough. Didn't think anything of it. Took a decongestant, and a Claritin, and it went away.

Was tired for a day, and slept more than usual. But had had a bad night of sleep when I woke up with the headache, and I get bad insomnia sometimes, so again, didn't think anything of it.

My neck was kinda stiff too, but I had a very bad case of whiplash last November, and I'd been trying to taper off my PT exercises. Started doing them again, and the pain went away.

Woke up three days after the headache incident, feeling clearer-headed than I had in a while-- didn't even realize I had been a little fuzzy until it was gone. Drank a strong cup of coffee, and have been feeling fine since.

Never took my temp, because these didn't seem like warning flags at the time.

Get a runny nose when I'm out in the cold, but I always get that, and some heavy throat-clearing goes with it, but no cough.

So, that could have been a mild case, I suppose. However, I don't know anyone who has been sick, either before or after. The only places I can really imagine being exposed was at LAX, or my synagogue, and if there were a case at shul, I'm pretty sure I would have heard.

I had this "thing" more than two weeks after being at LAX, though. The only way I can imagine being exposed at LAX would be if my son, who was there with me, was the one who actually caught it, and was TOTALLY asymptomatic, then passed it on to me. I could squeeze a month from the LAX time.

Part of the problem is, I don't remember when it actually happened. I'm sure it was before the first Indiana case, because after, I was paranoid about every cough and sniffle, and taking my temp all the time AFTER the first Indiana case, and I know I never took my temp during the "thing." It could have happened around Feb 3, but I think it was later, like Feb 27-March 3, or thereabouts.

So, what happened? Mild Covid-19, or series of coincidences?

I really don't know what to think.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I do now. Former housemate of ours just posted his positive status.
His surviving family just posted his deceased status. So now someone I knew personally is dead from this
Old 04-05-2020, 04:56 PM

AHunter3, so sorry.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

My stepmother in NY has continued to improve slowly. The hospital is cautiously optimistic and is stopping the sedatives to see how she fares before attempting to extubate her. Fingers crossed!

Dad is still symptom-free and his quarantine ends tomorrow. He plans to celebrate by taking out the trash.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
My stepmother in NY has continued to improve slowly. The hospital is cautiously optimistic and is stopping the sedatives to see how she fares before attempting to extubate her. Fingers crossed!

Dad is still symptom-free and his quarantine ends tomorrow. He plans to celebrate by taking out the trash.
Glad for some positive news (even if cautious...).
Old 04-05-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Another anecdote: In January my son got very sick with symptoms that now look a lot like Covid-19. He had a terrible cough, extreme joint aches, a high fever, etc. He was sick for over a week. At the same time I developed a cough that is still with me, and I feel constantly like there are butterflies in my chest. But no other symptoms.

I'm in Edmonton, and our first confirmed case came long after that, so he probably just had the flu. But on the other hand, there seem to be a lot of people saying they had a 'weird flu' with severe symptoms in December and January. So I have to wonder if possibly an earlier strain of this went through the population and it had milder symptoms and was just constantly misdiagnosed as flu.

I've read some speculation that this may explain the difference in fatality rates between the west coast and the east coast. There was a spike in 'flu' complaints on the west coast a few months back, and maybe that was actually coronavirus and many people picked up an immunity from the earlier strain?

Probably not. It was probably just the flu.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:41 PM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member

BiL's family. Guy in his 80s. Was in ICU. Currently improved and recovering. Only sharing because it's a hopeful thing.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I have a group of women friends who've known each other for 40-ish years and get together monthly, more or less. The son-in-law of one of them has been diagnosed. He and wife (friend's daughter) live in a different city.
The son-in-law is feeling better, but now the wife (friend's daughter) is feeling quite ill. She's at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
...But on the other hand, there seem to be a lot of people saying they had a 'weird flu' with severe symptoms in December and January. So I have to wonder if possibly an earlier strain of this went through the population and it had milder symptoms and was just constantly misdiagnosed as flu.

Ditto this.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 04-05-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:52 PM

duplicate

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 04-05-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
I'm in Edmonton, and our first confirmed case came long after that, so he probably just had the flu. But on the other hand, there seem to be a lot of people saying they had a 'weird flu' with severe symptoms in December and January. So I have to wonder if possibly an earlier strain of this went through the population and it had milder symptoms and was just constantly misdiagnosed as flu.

I've read some speculation that this may explain the difference in fatality rates between the west coast and the east coast. There was a spike in 'flu' complaints on the west coast a few months back, and maybe that was actually coronavirus and many people picked up an immunity from the earlier strain?

Probably not. It was probably just the flu.
I’ve heard similar stories here in Regina, over Christmas and into January, especially with people saying it came back and they got sick again a few weeks later. Heard people say it was a really, really bad cold and surprising in how long it lingered.

Probably will never know, unless it shows up in blood tests.
We will come through this pandemic. Hang on tight to the ones you love.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-05-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:59 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Ive heard similar stories here in Regina, over Christmas and into January, especially with people saying it came back and they got sick again a few weeks later. Heard people say it was a really, really bad cold and surprising in his long it lingered.

Probably will never know, unless it shows up in blood tests.
I asked the question a few weeks ago in GQ if it was possible that the virus was here at the end of last year. The consensus was no.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 PM

A friend of my parents recently died of coronavirus. But he was 89 and in poor health.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
Update: Sister and BIL have mostly recovered. I was directed by our nurse line to go to the ER on 3/22 to have the test, but when I got there they informed me testing was only for first responders/medical staff and folks who were hospitalized with severe symptoms. The ensuing days have been a roller coaster for both me and hubby; several days of awful, a day or two of approaching human, then more awful. I had a telehealth appointment with my cardiologist this morning who advised "aggressively hydrating," Tylenol, and continuing the quarantine. I've been utterly miserable and useless, but hubby has been teleworking the best he can.
Fingers crossed for the both of you, my friend.

I have a friend of a friend who has tested positive. That's the closest connection that I'm aware of.

Just like many people have said, I had what I thought was a fairly serious cold in late January or early February. Feverish, achy, cough, a nose that alternated between runny and clogged. I always have digestive problems (doesn't matter what I eat; it's always runny, and fairly often a photo finish), so I just assumed that was me being normal. I suppose it could have been a mild case before the rest of the area had reported cases (I live in the Louisville, KY area). I have a job where I have to interact with a lot of people, many of them traveling.

I've been asymptomatic since then, but I may have danced with it. I doubt it. I'm not in any of the risk groups, and I rarely leave my house except for work.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Not personally, but my boss' dad just died. Was on a cruise on the Nile.