Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 PM
Neminem crede, Nihil non disqu
Charter Member

Can the Chief Justice dismiss jurors for being in contact with the defendant before the Senate Trial?

Asking for a wishful thinker.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 AM

Is Ghoulani still an actual lawyer? Comments like the above showing willful disregard of constitutional law., drunken news conferences, and the obvious lies should bring action before the bar, shouldn't they?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:28 AM

Every once in a while, it's important to realize that, for all the progress made with same sex marriage and spousal benefits for same sex partners, there is still a large, ignorant force of bigoted, hateful people who continue to try and destroy LGBTQ+ people, regardless of the collateral damage. And they try to hide their bigotry and hatred behind illusory claims of "religious freedom". Just like the racists did with segregation.

For today's reminder I bring you: FUCK YOU TENNESSEE!!!

The very first bill the Tennessee Senate passed in the new year is one that would allow adoption agencies to refuse to let gay couples adopt or even foster children. Nevermind the needs of the children or the bullshit justification of "religious freedom" (to be a bigoted asshole). Screw the kids in need, WE HATE FAGS!!!

And lest you think the federal government will step in and help fight bigotry and hatred, Trump and Pence support such bigotry.

And, as a little cake topper, a DA in Tennessee decided that since same sex marriage isn't recognized by God, the people in them aren't protected by domestic violence laws.

So, FUCK YOU TENNESSEE!!!

I've been around a long while, and I recognize that for every two steps forward, there is going to be a step back. It just pisses me off so much to see people fighting so hard for the right to be hateful bigots and hiding behind some bullshit "religious freedom" argument.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_hostile View Post
Can the Chief Justice dismiss jurors for being in contact with the defendant before the Senate Trial?

I've been wondering the same thing. The impeachment trial is not exactly the same as a criminal trial, but it is similar in many ways. I am finding it hard to imagine in an ordinary trial the judge allowing a jurors to sit if they had any contact with either the prosecutor or defendant. I've been a venireman in a number of trials and couldn't count the times the judge asked that very question, both for the panel as a whole and during the individual questions.

It's probably a fantasy but I'm picturing Roberts saying something like, "Since you, you, and you* have publicly declared you're coordinating with the White House and what your verdict is before hearing the evidence, you shall have no part in these proceedings. Good bye."

*I name no names.

Last edited by DesertDog; 01-15-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM

"*I have no names"

Turtle boy for one. Likely Lindsey Graham as well.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:00 PM

There is going to be a "gun rights" rally in Richmond because the people are worried that the UN is about to take over Virginia, set up roadblocks, and take their guns.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/w...eir-huge-rally
Old 01-15-2020, 01:00 PM

Lindsey Graham Cracker.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Every once in a while, it's important to realize that, for all the progress made with same sex marriage and spousal benefits for same sex partners, there is still a large, ignorant force of bigoted, hateful people who continue to try and destroy LGBTQ+ people, regardless of the collateral damage. And they try to hide their bigotry and hatred behind illusory claims of "religious freedom". Just like the racists did with segregation.

For today's reminder I bring you: FUCK YOU TENNESSEE!!!

The very first bill the Tennessee Senate passed in the new year is one that would allow adoption agencies to refuse to let gay couples adopt or even foster children. Nevermind the needs of the children or the bullshit justification of "religious freedom" (to be a bigoted asshole). Screw the kids in need, WE HATE FAGS!!!

And lest you think the federal government will step in and help fight bigotry and hatred, Trump and Pence support such bigotry.

And, as a little cake topper, a DA in Tennessee decided that since same sex marriage isn't recognized by God, the people in them aren't protected by domestic violence laws.

So, FUCK YOU TENNESSEE!!!

I've been around a long while, and I recognize that for every two steps forward, there is going to be a step back. It just pisses me off so much to see people fighting so hard for the right to be hateful bigots and hiding behind some bullshit "religious freedom" argument.
Seven Florida legislators filed four anti-gay bills on the last day of session. The bills would repeal LGBTQ antidiscrimination ordinances, criminalize trans health care for minors and allow conversion therapy in places that had banned it.
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ssion-n1116256
Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Seven Florida legislators filed four anti-gay bills on the last day of session. The bills would repeal LGBTQ antidiscrimination ordinances, criminalize trans health care for minors and allow conversion therapy in places that had banned it.
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...ssion-n1116256
That story is faulty: it describes those Republicans as “conservative”.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:43 PM

They filed, but they may not have much hope that they will pass. Maybe just score some points with their base.

Quote:
The state lawmakers — Rep. Anthony Sabatini, Sen. Dennis Baxley, Rep. Bob Rommel, Sen. Joe Gruters, Rep Michael Grant, Sen. Keith Perry, and Rep. Byron Donalds
7 conservatives.

I got 5 dollars that says at least one of these guys is discovered to be gay later on.

-God
Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 PM

Michigan state Senator tells a female reporter that she should stick around because the boys at an all boys school could have a lot of fun with her.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...er/4475903002/
Old 01-15-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Lindsey Graham Cracker.
Lindsey Lohan Graham Cracker.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
There is going to be a "gun rights" rally in Richmond because the people are worried that the UN is about to take over Virginia, set up roadblocks, and take their guns.
I would encourage them to believe that these UN Agents will be marching IN THE RALLY, disguising themselves as gun-loving patriots. These spys must be outed! Probably the folks in the rally should challenge anyone who looks suspiciously like a spy. They should also be aware that the UN spys are prepared to challenge them and ask questions, so be alert! And be prepared to shoot it out with them. A lot.

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 01-15-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I would encourage them to believe that these UN Agents will be marching IN THE RALLY, disguising themselves as gun-loving patriots. These spys must be outed! Probably the folks in the rally should challenge anyone who looks suspiciously like a spy. They should also be aware that the UN spys are prepared to challenge them and ask questions, so be alert! And be prepared to shoot it out with them. A lot.
Virginia Governor Declares State of Emergency Ahead of Gun Rally
Gov. Ralph Northam said there had been credible threats of violence ahead of a rally that was expected to draw thousands of gun rights advocates to the State Capitol.
Quote:
RICHMOND, Va. — Bracing for the possibility of violence ahead of a rally to protest efforts to enact sweeping new gun control measures in Virginia, Gov. Ralph Northam on Wednesday declared a state of emergency and announced a temporary ban on weapons on the grounds of the State Capitol.

Thousands of protesters are expected to converge in Richmond on Monday to oppose a series of proposed restrictions on gun purchases expected to be taken up in the coming weeks by the Virginia Legislature, where Democrats control both chambers and the governor’s office for the first time in a generation.

The governor said on Twitter that the authorities had identified credible “threats of violence,” including from out-of-state militia groups and hate groups that planned disruptions. He said the authorities had also found extremist rhetoric online similar to what had been seen in 2017 before the Charlottesville rally, when white nationalists and counterprotesters clashed in a deadly fight over the removal of Confederate monuments.
IMHO this is a preview of what's going to happen when trump is defeated in the election next November (please God!). His supporters are going to stampede Washington to defend their guy. These trigger-happy bozos don't need much of an excuse to get together and wave their, uh, things around. It will get ugly.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Missouri wants to be able to imprison librarians for allowing children to check out books.

Quote:
“This is a shockingly transparent attempt to legalize book banning in the state of Missouri,” said James Tager, deputy director of Free Expression Research and Policy at PEN America. “This act is clearly aimed at empowering small groups of parents to appoint themselves as censors over their state’s public libraries. Books wrestling with sexual themes, books uplifting LGBTQIA+ characters, books addressing issues such as sexual assault—all of these books are potentially on the chopping block if this bill is passed.”
Old 01-16-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I got 5 dollars that says at least one of these guys is discovered to be gay later on.
I'd say one will be outed in the next 18 months, and at least two more within the next 5-10 years.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:

I live in southwest Virginia and in this region there have been several declarations/rallies for "Second Amendment Sanctuaries" due to fears that the VA Democratic legislature is going to take their guns away.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_hostile View Post

Pretty convincing impression of Colludiani, there, bro.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Too easy. You got to offer an over/under if you want any action.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Too easy. You got to offer an over/under if you want any action.
That's what [one of the seven Republicans] said!
Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
While the odds are extremely high that this man is a conservative, how is this a SRIotD? Virulent racism isn't a "Republican Idea", it is a flaw of human design pre-dating current political ideology.
Sure, hating blacks is as American as apple pie. But this guy was so afraid of the black cooties that he set his girlfriend's SUV on fire! If you expect us to imagine a non-Republican doing something like that, we're going to need a cite.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Michigan state Senator tells a female reporter that she should stick around because the boys at an all boys school could have a lot of fun with her.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...er/4475903002/
And now he's facing a sexual harrassment investigation, the dumbfuck.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:41 PM

Lara Trump mocks Joe Biden's stutter.
https://people.com/politics/lara-tru...talks-stutter/
Old 01-17-2020, 06:04 PM

Server lied to me here.
Gave an error.

Last edited by Squink; 01-17-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 PM

I was hoping for a Lara Croft look-alike.
Not even close.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:05 PM

The entire Idaho state legislature, Democrats and Republicans, voted unanimously to expel one of their members because he's a "tax protester" who teaches clients how to avoid paying taxes, and he was convicted in federal court of tax fraud.
https://www.postregister.com/news/go...cacc591cb.html
Old 01-17-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
The entire Idaho state legislature, Democrats and Republicans, voted unanimously to expel one of their members . . .
Unanimously? He even voted to expel himself?
Old 01-18-2020, 02:22 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Lara Trump mocks Joe Biden's stutter.
https://people.com/politics/lara-tru...talks-stutter/

Anybody, anybody at all, connected to/supportive of president Trump has zero qualification to criticize how another person speaks.

Last edited by Monty; 01-18-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:10 PM

When asked what Individual 1 was going to do on Martin Luther King Day, Kellyane Conway said, "... [He] agrees with many of the things that Dr. Martin Luther King stood for and agreed with for many years, including unity and equality and he’s not the one trying to tear the country apart through an impeachment process and a lack of substance"
https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/...y-like-mlk-did
Old 01-20-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When asked what Individual 1 was going to do on Martin Luther King Day, Kellyane Conway said, "... [He] agrees with many of the things that Dr. Martin Luther King stood for and agreed with for many years, including unity and equality and he’s not the one trying to tear the country apart through an impeachment process and a lack of substance"
https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/...y-like-mlk-did
As documented in Dr. King's famous "read the transcript, Governor Wallace had a PERFECT CALL with the Grand Dragon" address.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:15 PM

The super tough Charlottesville nazi who made a super tough internet tape, crying, when he learned that the police were looking for him has gotten himself arressted by the FBI.

I wonder if he learned of his impending FBI visit, and was able to find time to cry.

“So if you don’t want me to come and f--- your wife in front of your kids, then you should make yourself scarce[.]," Cantwell texted the victim, the indictment says.
At his initial court appearance Thursday afternoon, a New Hampshire federal judge ordered Cantwell held without bond pending a Jan. 28 detention hearing. Cantwell's lawyer did not immediately return a request for comment.
Cantwell became one of the most familiar faces of the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville after he was featured in a Vice News documentary on the far-right that showed him chanting "Jews will not replace us."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...d-fbi-n1121266
Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The super tough Charlottesville nazi who made a super tough internet tape, crying, when he learned that the police were looking for him has gotten himself arressted by the FBI.

I wonder if he learned of his impending FBI visit, and was able to find time to cry.

“So if you don’t want me to come and f--- your wife in front of your kids, then you should make yourself scarce[.]," Cantwell texted the victim, the indictment says.
At his initial court appearance Thursday afternoon, a New Hampshire federal judge ordered Cantwell held without bond pending a Jan. 28 detention hearing. Cantwell's lawyer did not immediately return a request for comment.
Cantwell became one of the most familiar faces of the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville after he was featured in a Vice News documentary on the far-right that showed him chanting "Jews will not replace us."
What the fuck? AGAIN?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:16 AM

He seems nice.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:39 PM

Republican state legislator in Pennsylvania arrested for child pornography.
https://www.abc27.com/news/local/pa-...rnography/amp/
Old 01-27-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post

Pretty much a Trump dream voter. Trump will probably appoint him to a cabinet post.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Stupid Republican idea of the day

Quote:
Republican state legislator in Pennsylvania arrested for child pornography.
https://www.abc27.com/news/local/pa-...rnography/amp/

From the depiction of how he got busted the suspect’s not just an alleged pedo perv, he’s a stupid alleged pedo perv. Tumblr, really? But that’s not really a stupid Republican idea per se, just “stupid criminal” behavior.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 01-27-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:03 PM

Sandy Hook denier and Alex Jones guest arrested in Florida for possession of another person's ID. The ID belongs to the father of a Sandy Hook victim.
https://apnews.com/da09f08ef3aad4c7eb149962387005c2
Old 01-28-2020, 11:02 PM

Darrell Issa is making sure that all of the voters in his district know that his Republican primary opponent is gay.
https://www.politico.com/states/cali...ign-ad-1254753
Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Dems currently hold that seat. Pubbies can’t have it back.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:57 AM

Alex Jones enables this for money

Quote:
Sandy Hook denier and Alex Jones guest arrested in Florida for possession of another person's ID. The ID belongs to the father of a Sandy Hook victim.
https://apnews.com/da09f08ef3aad4c7eb149962387005c2
Let's really make sure that people understand this.

Noah Pozner was shot ELEVEN FUCKING TIMES by the basic sort of weapon that a soldier like me fired in battle.

His lower jaw was shot off.

So was his left hand.

The weapon used to kill him can inflict, at close range, the same sort of injuries one associates with IEDs Complete amputation of parts of limbs is common. So is complete shredding of internal organs, skin, extremities, and bone, particularly in individuals with smaller frames.

I am speaking of adult bodies here.

If you are a parent.....

This is how Alex Jones makes his money.

Fuck him and anybody who minimizes this. I dare you.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Darrell Issa is making sure that all of the voters in his district know that his Republican primary opponent is gay.
https://www.politico.com/states/cali...ign-ad-1254753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Dems currently hold that seat. Pubbies can’t have it back.
If I read that correctly, they're fighting over Duncan Hunter's old seat, not the one that Issa lost. It would be nice for Campa-Najjar to pick it up after all the racist bullshit he had thrown at him during the last election.

And because I am completely immature, I giggled because they ended an article about "gay-baiting" with the phrase "It's a race to the bottom."
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM

West Virginia lawmakers have introduced resolutions inviting certain Virginia counties to secede and join their state instead. Larry Sabato (of Crystal Ball) has a good joke.

Interestingly, this could be done legally. But it would require passage from the Virginia General Assembly, which recently turned majority Democrat. Hence the suggestion by such esteemed Commonwealth intellectuals like Jerry Falwell, Jr.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
This is how Alex Jones makes his money.

Fuck him and anybody who minimizes this. I dare you.
Is there a site somewhere listing Alex Jones' sponsors? I don't have the stomach to watch it myself and take notes.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Is there a site somewhere listing Alex Jones' sponsors? I don't have the stomach to watch it myself and take notes.

Most of his money comes for shilling alt-med and disaster-prepper crap to his idiot listeners. So you're probably already boycotting his sponsors.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
West Virginia lawmakers have introduced resolutions inviting certain Virginia counties to secede and join their state instead. Larry Sabato (of Crystal Ball) has a good joke.

Interestingly, this could be done legally. But it would require passage from the Virginia General Assembly, which recently turned majority Democrat. Hence the suggestion by such esteemed Commonwealth intellectuals like Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Ignoring the bad optics and bad precedent this would set, from a purely political and practical view point it might make sense for Virginia Democrats to support this. By kicking out Frederick county, the Democrats increase their liklihood of holding onto the state house and senate. Also the median per capita income of Frederick county is about half of the per capita income of the rest of the state, so taking them off the books is likely to improve Virginia's fiscal standing. Then, of course, there is the IQ thing.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Ignoring the bad optics and bad precedent this would set, from a purely political and practical view point it might make sense for Virginia Democrats to support this. By kicking out Frederick county, the Democrats increase their liklihood of holding onto the state house and senate. Also the median per capita income of Frederick county is about half of the per capita income of the rest of the state, so taking them off the books is likely to improve Virginia's fiscal standing. Then, of course, there is the IQ thing.
Frederick County is just one of many Virginia border counties that would meet West Virginia's, er, standards. The only one that might not would be Loudoun. And in that neck of the woods, Jefferson Co., WV might even be interested in a move in the opposite direction.

I would enjoy (perhaps too much) a thread devoted to the premise "what would happen if border counties in the US could vote every ten years to move to another state?"
Old 01-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Reminds me of the every-so-often floated idea that the southern half of Illinois should break away and for their own state. It's usually pretty quick that it's pointed out that the southern half of the state would be in pretty big trouble without the Chicagoland tax base.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
Reminds me of the every-so-often floated idea that the southern half of Illinois should break away and for their own state. It's usually pretty quick that it's pointed out that the southern half of the state would be in pretty big trouble without the Chicagoland tax base.
We occasionally hear similar things regarding New York State, upstate vs downstate. NYC provides a huge tax base that supports many other counties.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM

Residents of Garrett and Allegany counties (MD) might be pretty culturally comfortable changing their affiliation to the Mountain State. Until they realized that they would then probably rank among the richest counties in their new home state.

Last edited by Red Wiggler; 01-29-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
This is the same problem that the people in Northern California need to face when talking about splitting off and forming the State of Jefferson. They don't have the tax base to keep them afloat.