Old 03-17-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Fundies don't take communion from a chalice. What are you some kind of Papist? They sip their grape juice and eat their cubed wonder bread from the safety of the pews, just like Supply Side Jesus intended.
This is funny, because it’s true. At the tiny little rural Iowa Methodist church I went to growing up, communion was cubes of white bread and grape juice in individual glass cups, passed around while we sat in our pews. So at least it was sanitary.

I didn’t particularly think of our congregation as being “fundamentalist” per se, but in hindsight they leaned that way. My grandmother loved Billy Graham, and I’m pretty sure she sent money to Jim Bakker and the PTL Club.

Last edited by Uncle Jocko; 03-17-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Was he the one who called himself a farmer because he had a tenth of an acre of land?
Nah, that's Devin Nunes.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:27 PM

Kid Rock refuses to shut down his Nashville bar despite an order from the mayor. He says he'll only shut it down if he gets an order from the governor. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the mayor being a Democrat and the governor a Republican.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...215225753.html
Old 03-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Personally, I think if you go in that three story tacky-assed monstrosity, you deserve whatever you catch.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Although his party affiliation is not mentioned in the story, tell me this Kentucky Knucklehead isn't a Republican:

(CNN)A Kentucky novel coronavirus patient checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice. So to prevent him from spreading the virus, officials are surrounding his house to keep him there.

The 53-year-old man in Nelson County refused to quarantine himself after testing positive for Covid-19, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said.
Nelson County officials "forced an isolation" on the man, one of the first 20 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the state.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/us/ke...rnd/index.html
Old 03-17-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Kid Rock refuses to shut down his Nashville bar despite an order from the mayor. He says he'll only shut it down if he gets an order from the governor. I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with the mayor being a Democrat and the governor a Republican.
Steve Smith, the co-owner, is the one refusing to shut down the bar. As per the linked story, Kid Rock has yet to weigh in.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Nah, that's Devin Nunes.

Moo...?
Old 03-17-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Moscow Mitch's campaign manager complains that it is "tasteless and shameful" for challenger Amy McGrath to run "negative political advertising" about Moscow Mitch (i.e. advertising describing Moscow Mitch's record of Moscow Mitchiness) during the coronavirus epidemic.

In fairness, I must note that Moscow Mitch is something of an authority on being tasteless and shameful.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Personally, I think if you go in that three story tacky-assed monstrosity, you deserve whatever you catch.
Aesthetics notwithstanding, the thought of putting money directly into kidrock's pocket has about as much appeal as changing the nuge's saggy nam diaper.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone here speak Newtish? Can you explain this logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt Gingrich
A reporter asked me today why conservatives were initially so skeptical of the threat of the coronavirus. I tried to explain that one of the dangerous consequences of having a totally dishonest left wing news media was that most Americans discounted their hysteria as phony.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith - co-owner
"We appreciate the efforts of Mayor Cooper to combat the COVID-19 virus, but unless there's a statewide mandate that directs all bars and restaurants to be closed, the request made by Mayor Cooper is unconstitutional as he is targeting a select group of businesses," he said in a statement.
Uhm, if your argument was correct, then a mandate from the governor would be equally as unconstitutional for the same exact reason.

Oh hey, after just one day Smith got so much push-back that he changed his mind.
Kid rock's bar is closing due to coronavirus
Old 03-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
If Individual-ONE were to somehow manage to cancel the election in November, his term would then end on January 20th at noon. There is no provision in the Constitution for extending the term of the President, so his legal authority would be null and void, as would be that of the Congress (as of the 3rd). It would be a Constitutional crisis, which would have to be resolved by, well, probably chaos and disorder. Or Vlad.
Quote:
Well, I do find
Amendment XIV §2
... But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age12, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.
So, while an election is not per se mandated, not having one would be somewhat problematic. A state that bypasses its electorate to choose electors would theoretically lose representation in Congress.

All this assumes that if Trump and/or his enablers violate the Constitution, Someone or Something will, you know, stop them.

So far Trump has been violating the Constitution left, right, and sideways. And no one is stopping him.

Who, exactly, is going to enforce a 14th-Amendment-related penalty (as to amount of representation in Congress) against states that abridge the right to vote for electors? Republicans have been attacking the 14th for years, anyway. So now they're going to put themselves out to enforce it?

I don't mean to be persnickety. But all the online talk to the effect that 'elections will go on as usual in November because Constitution' are just wildly, extravagantly optimistic. The GOP will do whatever they figure they can get away with--Constitution be (figuratively or perhaps even literally) damned.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Does anyone here speak Newtish? Can you explain this logic?
I actually understand what he's saying because we generally apply the same standards to Trump. We never believe what he says. The difference is that we have good reason not to and Newt and his Republican friends are just stupid.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

North Carolina Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest (who happens to be running against current Governor Roy Cooper in the upcoming election) says the governor doesn't have the authority to order restaurant closures, despite the fact that even the current occupant of the White House is telling people not to gather in groups greater than 10.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
North Carolina Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest (who happens to be running against current Governor Roy Cooper in the upcoming election) says the governor doesn't have the authority to order restaurant closures, despite the fact that even the current occupant of the White House is telling people not to gather in groups greater than 10.
To be fair, the fact that Orangeanus Deploricus tells people to do something doesn't indicate that it's legal or constitutional -- if anything, it's a contra-indication.

That said, anyone with even a passing familiarity with state police power would find Forest's position dubious at best.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Duncan Hunter sentenced to eleven months in jail.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ter-sentencing
[...]Hunter blamed the misuse of funds on his wife, who had served as his campaign manager.

"Honey, I just threw you under the bus."
Old 03-18-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Although his party affiliation is not mentioned in the story, tell me this Kentucky Knucklehead isn't a Republican:

(CNN)A Kentucky novel coronavirus patient checked himself out of the hospital against medical advice. So to prevent him from spreading the virus, officials are surrounding his house to keep him there.

The 53-year-old man in Nelson County refused to quarantine himself after testing positive for Covid-19, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said.
Nelson County officials "forced an isolation" on the man, one of the first 20 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the state.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/us/ke...rnd/index.html
I assume that this guy is going to be presented with a bill for all of this?
Old 03-18-2020, 03:35 PM

This is likely the most racist thing I've heard a Republican say since this morning:

[QUOTE+Senator John Cornyn]"China is to blame because the culture where people eat bats & snakes & dogs & things like that, these viruses are transmitted from the animal to the people and that's why China has been the source of a lot of these viruses like SARS, like MERS, the Swine Flu."[/QUOTE]

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1240364608390606850
Old 03-18-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
All this assumes that if Trump and/or his enablers violate the Constitution, Someone or Something will, you know, stop them.

So far Trump has been violating the Constitution left, right, and sideways. And no one is stopping him.

Who, exactly, is going to enforce a 14th-Amendment-related penalty (as to amount of representation in Congress) against states that abridge the right to vote for electors? Republicans have been attacking the 14th for years, anyway. So now they're going to put themselves out to enforce it?

I don't mean to be persnickety. But all the online talk to the effect that 'elections will go on as usual in November because Constitution' are just wildly, extravagantly optimistic. The GOP will do whatever they figure they can get away with--Constitution be (figuratively or perhaps even literally) damned.
So far, people have been more or less keeping him within the lines. Of course, if he wangles some kind of excuse to stay in the WH, the SCotUS will most likely hand him a 5-4 favorable ruling.

However, if the situation gets out of hand, if there is a great deal of social/economic turmoil over the next few months, the opposition could well exceed the limits of the Republican Shell Game. Right now, we are kind of in uncharted territory – no one in a position of any weight has any real memories of what the GD, or even in large part WWII, was like.

If this pandemic situation leads to a lot of instability, we could see him completely lose control of the military, in which case an actual coup situation might develop, and no one can guess what would be on the other side of that.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
This is likely the most racist thing I've heard a Republican say since this morning:

[QUOTE+Senator John Cornyn]"China is to blame because the culture where people eat bats & snakes & dogs & things like that, these viruses are transmitted from the animal to the people and that's why China has been the source of a lot of these viruses like SARS, like MERS, the Swine Flu."

Wow, I didn't know that China was in the Middle East. Learn something new everyday!

Last edited by manson1972; 03-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I don't know if there are enough GOP controlled state houses to pull it off, but the various states could (using Covid-19 as an excuse) cancel the presidential vote and just appoint whoever they want to be their electors.
I got interested and asked the question: If

1) the presidential election was cancelled

2) the Electoral College would still meet and elect the President

3) the Governor of each state selected the EC members for that state, and

4) each Governor selected only members who would vote for his/her party's candidate

(Admittedly, a lot of shaky assumptions.)

Who would win the Presidency?

Answer: The Democratic candidate. While only 24 states have Democratic governors, they account for 288 EC members.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:34 PM

Rand Paul calls people without social security numbers "non people".
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-p...ral-tax-credit
Old 03-18-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
So far, people have been more or less keeping him within the lines. Of course, if he wangles some kind of excuse to stay in the WH, the SCotUS will most likely hand him a 5-4 favorable ruling.

However, if the situation gets out of hand, if there is a great deal of social/economic turmoil over the next few months, the opposition could well exceed the limits of the Republican Shell Game. Right now, we are kind of in uncharted territory – no one in a position of any weight has any real memories of what the GD, or even in large part WWII, was like.

If this pandemic situation leads to a lot of instability, we could see him completely lose control of the military, in which case an actual coup situation might develop, and no one can guess what would be on the other side of that.
That all looks like sound prognostication to me.

Quote:

[QUOTE+Senator John Cornyn]"China is to blame because the culture where people eat bats & snakes & dogs & things like that, these viruses are transmitted from the animal to the people and that's why China has been the source of a lot of these viruses like SARS, like MERS, the Swine Flu."
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1240364608390606850[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Wow, I didn't know that China was in the Middle East. Learn something new everyday!
The right is all-in on blaming China for everything. Partly this serves as a good distractor----there is no room for stories on the Trump Administration's botched response to COVID-19 if all the room is taken up with stories about Republicans claiming China is a very, very bad country, and with stories about right-wing news consumers obediently committing acts of racism, some violent, against Asian-Americans.

So there's the 'stop people from blaming Trump' factor. And there's also the ongoing trade war with China (lest we forget--it's still very much in play). Trump probably believes getting masses of Americans to hate China will give him a competitive advantage in trade negotiations.

And if all else fails, he could get us into an actual hot war with China. That would certainly crowd out all those "Trump bungled the pandemic" stories!
Old 03-18-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Rand Paul calls people without social security numbers "non people".
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-p...ral-tax-credit
OMG.

I bet his hairpiece is shrinking as the rubber (or whatever) gets older---cutting off the flow of blood to his brain.

That, or he's just pure 100% asshole.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
OMG.

I bet his hairpiece is shrinking as the rubber (or whatever) gets older---cutting off the flow of blood to his brain.

I am told that the hairs encircling my anus are curly, so I will go with the second thing.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I got interested and asked the question: If

. . .

3) the Governor of each state selected the EC members for that state, and

. . .

Who would win the Presidency?

Answer: The Democratic candidate. While only 24 states have Democratic governors, they account for 288 EC members.
It's the state legislatures, not the governor, that gets to choose the electors. The governors have no say in it. So it depends on which states have legislatures fully controlled by Republicans. I don't have the numbers at my fingertips, but I believe there are a few states with Democrat governors but highly partisan Republican legislatures. Wisconsin comes immediately to mind, for example.

Last edited by Senegoid; 03-19-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OMG.

I've been binge-watching The Expanse, and am reminded of this scene:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expanse, "Static"
Doctor: Part of his temporal lobe has been effectively erased.
Holden: Which part?
Doctor: The part that governs empathy.
Amos: You can do that with a magnet?
Doctor: I've only read about the procedure. It's not that simple, but it's not complicated either. It's non-invasive.
Holden: So someone waves a magnet at the right side on my head, and suddenly I can watch a hundred thousand people die in agony and not give a shit?
Old 03-19-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator John Cornyn
"China is to blame because the culture where people eat bats & snakes & dogs & things like that, these viruses are transmitted from the animal to the people and that's why China has been the source of a lot of these viruses like SARS, like MERS, the Swine Flu."
I believe Cornyn is from Texas, where they have been known to eat rattlesnake and fried alligator. Probably not bats and dogs but still, not much room to criticize there.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Not to mention that it's interesting to see Cornyn thinks China is in the Middle East.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

And in Mexico.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

And in Mexico.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Well, you never know about all those Mexican countries.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:21 AM

So, what about the fried armadillo? Is Cornyn against that, too?
Old 03-19-2020, 10:22 AM

Republican senator Richard Burr was privately telling people that COVID had the potential to be a disaster (leaked audio), yet publicly said nothing of the sort.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Republican senator Richard Burr was privately telling people that COVID had the potential to be a disaster (leaked audio), yet publicly said nothing of the sort.
While also selling off a bunch of stock...
Old 03-19-2020, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

A development worthy of its own Pit thread.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:14 PM

Chairman of the Riley County, Kansas Board of Commissioners didn't want to issue a shutdown because of the virus because there aren't very many Chinese people there.
https://amp.kansascity.com/opinion/e...241353836.html
Old 03-20-2020, 01:18 PM

Who could have ever thought that Doug Collins would be the lesser of the two evils when it comes to Republican candidate for Senate from Georgia?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:24 PM

Laura Ingraham:
"Americans need to know date certain when this will end. The uncertainty for businesses, parents and kids is just not sustainable."
https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/st...67734319558656

Somebody asked her if she wanted to speak to the virus's manager.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

I noticed that some right wing sources are following the stupid talking point from the White House that while the "Chinese Virus Invaded America, Democrats Were Focused on Impeachment".

Well, thanks again for reminding all that the President is not capable of chewing gum and walking at the same time.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
I noticed that some right wing sources are following the stupid talking point from the White House that while the "Chinese Virus Invaded America, Democrats Were Focused on Impeachment".

Well, thanks again for reminding all that the President is not capable of chewing gum and walking at the same time.

Yeah. The whole reason the Democrats were focused on impeachment is because, unlike the disgrace we have for a president now, they were upholding their constitution duty. Now, if said disgrace were not a criminal, then there would have been no need to focus on that.

Speaking of that disgrace, did you see how he's referring to the US State Department now?
Old 03-21-2020, 02:49 AM

Thats should read constitutional duty above.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

Speaking of that disgrace, did you see how he's referring to the US State Department now?
No, I haven't looked at all the news yet. Do tell.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I think this is a reference to Trump's new talking point about the "Deep State Department".
Old 03-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

I think he was probably6 referring to this: https://www.businessinsider.com/dr-a...riefing-2020-3
Old 03-21-2020, 08:37 AM

Re posts 43794 and 43795: that would be correct.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:44 AM

Holy fuck.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:01 AM

Ah; so that was the Fauci Facepalm.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:22 PM

As coronavirus creates ‘unprecedented obstacles’ to voting, Kentucky adds another: voter ID
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...27c_story.html
Quote:
As states across the country took steps this week to make voting easier in light of the novel coronavirus, the Republican-controlled legislature in Kentucky approved a new measure requiring a government-issued photo ID to vote, prompting an outcry from voting-rights groups.

Lawmakers sent the bill to the governor’s desk before recessing until March 26 because of the pandemic, which claimed a second life in the state Thursday.

“In no uncertain terms, we condemn the adoption of a restrictive photo-ID law at a moment when voters face unprecedented obstacles to the ballot box,” Kristen Clarke, the president and executive director of the National Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said in an interview. “Many people in Kentucky aren’t even able to visit a state office to obtain ID given office closures and other crisis-related obstacles. Lawmakers should be working on ensuring access to the polls in 2020, and this bill runs fully contrary to that.”
This is going to be the rule in Republican controlled states. Throw up as many roadblocks as possible that disproportionately affect minorities. I'm sure Country Club photo i.d.s will be totally acceptable.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

It's the Crazy Eddie virus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha McSally, R-AZ
Asymmetric people are spreading this virus