Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM

New city builder from Paradox Interactive

From the folks that gave you Cities in Motion, comes a new city building game Cities: Skylines.

Here's the reveal trailer.

You can play offline!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:41 PM
BANNED

Interesting. I didn't know that paradox interactive made a city builder game.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 AM

I believe paradox is publishing.

It looks promising, the areas look gargantuan, specially compared to the latest Sim City. This might be the game we were all waiting for, but never got.

They just need to keep it int he oven as long as necessary to give it that nice level of polish.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
You can play offline!
Yeah, don't you just love how that is now considered a feature?
Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM

Looks great but I don't se a release date yet. I played CiM2 for an afternoon and found it both easy to do stuff and difficult to play. Lots of detail in that game; I keep thinking I'll find time to explore it more, but somehow I never do it.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Yeah, don't you just love how that is now considered a feature?
I think that "feature" was more to tweak EA/Maxis.

I played Cities in Motion quite extensively. I have the sequel but haven't done much with it aside from firing it up to see if it runs.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Noticed this on the list of features: •Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros.

Sounds like a logical progression of growth in CiM2.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 PM

Kind of reminds me of CitiesXL a bit. Sure you could create sprawling metropoli. But they kind of felt sort of sterile and repetitive. The SimCity games always felt more living city, but obviously the small city size of the last version was problematic.

Really what I'd love to see is an updated version of SimCity 4 (which is like ten years old at this point).
Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM

I don't like this business of "Unlock buildings and services" and "Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city". One the features I hate from the latest SimCity is how so many things are so arbitrarily gated.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM

There's a new trailer out for Cities: Skylines

http://youtu.be/pw8PPSeBo_4

I see they're tweaking EA/Maxis.

SPOILER:
"That water is 100% reclaimed sewage."

There's also a dev diary on the Paradox forums, where the game shows its origins in Cities in Motion:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Diary-1-Roads
Old 03-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Expanded transit options are coming! Glad I haven't played in quite a while, pretty much all my cities have plenty of room for new stuff.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Mass Transit is scheduled to arrive on May 18th.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM

I actually take back what I said back in 2014. Much like SimCity 4 there is a huge modding and asset creation community. If you have the PC for it, you can pretty much build anything you can think of.

Check out some of the work by this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnU...ZS1IotzB9ytWeg

One thing to keep in mind though is they do "fake" some (most) of their videos. In other words, the game really doesn't run all that smoothly on even a high end system with a 1000 custom buildings, all 81 city tiles unlocked and all sorts of mods controlling everything from the weather to traffic patterns. They admit to speeding up the video captures in post to give the illusion of a high fps.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:02 AM

Resurrecting this thread because I've been playing this a lot during the lockdown. I've really enjoyed it. The biggest challenge is keeping down the traffic, which can sink services like trash and disposing of the dead. Currently I'm having good results with a wheel-shaped city.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:17 AM

I just re-downloaded it too but I'm not in it for the challenge. I'm an artiste, man. I load the thing up mods and assets and get to sculpting. I love starting with a little village and planning a big downtown with an entertainment district and a law and order district and big parks designed around unique buildings ... and then tooling around in it with all the first-person cams available.

My problem is over-modding. I DL'd it and then went to the Workshop and subscribed to like a hundred mods and assets which totally borked the game. It took me hours of hacking like skills with charts and checklist and shit before I found the offending assets and got rid of them.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 AM

Apparently Paradox is monitoring my laptop. They decided to run an update this morning and now my whole game is borked again because of un-updated mods. Thanks Paradox. It was a fun four days I had with your game.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I've been playing this a lot during the lockdown. I've really enjoyed it. The biggest challenge is keeping down the traffic, which can sink services like trash and disposing of the dead. Currently I'm having good results with a wheel-shaped city.
Love this game. And I think you've already gotten to the heart of it, it's really primarily a traffic simulation, with "SimCity" built on top of it.

I find my favorite part is just starting a city. Once it's up and running and you're just expanding I tend get bored.

Lately I've mostly been in sandbox mode, opening up the entire 25x25 map and building out a sort of whole rural county. I build little towns far apart and connect them. I've experimented with no-highway-connection maps, where your only way in or out is via plane and/or boat. I messed around with a Venice-like canal-only city that I could never quite get to work right. I built a "Dante's Inferno" city with descending circular tiers that looked really cool but was not really very functional.

Along similar lines, spent a lot of time with Planet Coaster and Jurassic Park: Evolution lately, too. These are all "look up and it's 4AM" games for me.