Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Rimworld: old west meets sci-fi

I've been playing Rimworld recently. It's currently in alpha but very playable.

The concept of the game is you're in charge of colonists who crash land on a planet. You give them tasks, such a growing plants, taming animals, hunting, etc. There's a lot of options. If someone raids your base you can harvest their organs and sell them on the black market or you can resort to cannibalism.

The RNG gods are angry, sometimes, so you can get royally screwed. I lost a game because a hare went rabid, took out my doctor, he went rabid and took out my best hunter, then I got raided and a fire spread. I get tinges of FTL.

I found the game after watching Quill18's playthrough.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:31 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
I lost a game because a hare went rabid, took out my doctor, he went rabid and took out my best hunter, then I got raided and a fire spread. I get tinges of FTL.
Definitely sounds like a bad hare day.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:42 PM

Yeah I've been enjoying Quill18's playthrough too. Haven't got the game yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post

Old 09-08-2015, 04:30 AM

Looks awesome. Wonder why I haven't heard of it before.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 AM

I have been playing for a few months. It is still in Alpha, but extremely playable, and it keeps getting better. I got attacked by a hoard of rabid warthogs yesterday. Like 40 of them. Luckily my base is almost entirely inside a mountain(protection from acid rain, and flash storms). I just hung out indoors until my automatic gun emplacements took them out, but they destroyed several guns. I have also been out hunting deer, and the deer get pissed and chase me back to my base.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 PM

Bump

The game has just been released on Steam. It's still in Early Access but it's immensely playable, has tons of mods (which the develop supports), and only keeps getting better.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 AM

I bought Rimworld on Friday. I'm now about 30 hours of playtime on it. It is a great big pile o'fun. The game, as is, feels pretty complete. I do wish there was a multi-generational aspect to the colony but this is a pretty minor quibble. The game is very challenging on the higher difficulties levels, but it never feels unfair. Perhaps a bit random in some cases, e.g. the rabid rabbit mentioned above, but I always feel like I have the tools to handle a problem and failure happens because I either didn't plan for it, or I mismanage it.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I just started playing. Had a rabid turtle and now an immigrant picked a fight with one of the original three then tended to her wounds.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-31-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Had a rabid turtle and now an immigrant picked a fight with one of the original three then tended to her wounds.
You should build a wall.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Had to abandon that colony due to poor food planning. New colony won't need to worry about food for a good while but is short on building materials. On the plus side, they recently dismantled some sterling silver walls.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-01-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:46 AM

I've found it impossible to get a reliable food situation worked out when i start with the lost tribe scenario. The 200+ pemmicans they give you actually only last a meal or two, they are gone way before i can set up a good hunting/butchering/ cooking system or any growth operations.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, tried a tribe once. They'd be more viable if there were production options for their tech level (e.g.: cooking and butchering stations that are 100% wood).

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-01-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

The mod called CorePanda adds a furnace that can be constructed from any metal or rock. I wonder if it can used to bake potatoes.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Conduits can explode! Good thing it was under grass rather than a wood floor.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Found a nice mod in the Steam Workshop that should help with the vanilla tribe start. It adds a quarry to the Production menu and only needs (IIRC) 70 units of wood. My colonists have built one; the output is pretty random but it can put out small quantities of steel. Also gold, quartz, plasteel, etc.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 08-02-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:23 AM

Looks a bit like Dwarf Fortress. True?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:01 AM

It's very much a Dwarf Fortress Lite. Except with some actual game design.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
Looks a bit like Dwarf Fortress. True?
The developer describes it as Dwarf Fortress meets "Firefly".
Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

I have been playing the hell outof this, its quite challenging even at basic levels.

The most annoying thing in my opinion is that colonists will happily kill each other trying to shoot a raider or animal moving between them. Lost one of my best all around colonists to a not so friendly fire incident that left her permanently brain damaged and no longer able to do anything but lay in bed.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

My current colony i am working on a "cavern" base mining out a large mountain area. Only having one approach makes things infinitely easier. It also kinda multitasks mining and construction. Does require a very different approach to temperature and power routing.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Be careful of the bugs.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
My current colony i am working on a "cavern" base mining out a large mountain area. Only having one approach makes things infinitely easier. It also kinda multitasks mining and construction. Does require a very different approach to temperature and power routing.
I'm doing the same. Air conditioners are a big help, especially after geothermal power plants become available.

There is an ultimate goal, by the way. Build a ship and get your colonists off the planet.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Heh. Somebody's created a Golgafrinchan scenario.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:28 PM

It's a lot like early dwarf fortress in design, but made by people who actually understand how to make a game. It does lack the 3D aspect of later dwarf fortress releases though.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Be careful of the bugs.
You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dm:
Old 08-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Bugs are easier to deal with if they're outnumbered and somebody has a minigun. Don't go shooting up the pods, though.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 AM

Picked this up yesterday, got to mess around with it a bit last night, I think I'm going to be losing a lot of productive hours in the near future...

Question: When your colonists get diseases, does it list them in their health panel? One of my colonists has been randomly vomiting, and has been in minor pain since the crash, but doesn't have anything specific listed in her health info. Would I be aware of this, or is this something a doctor has to diagnose?
Old 08-10-2016, 09:19 AM

Yeah, it would say if it were an illness. Is your colonist drunk?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

"Drunk" is an illness. Maybe the colonist has been drinking but has yet to reach that point.

OTOH, one common activity can be mistaken for vomiting. Eating is represented by a spiky green blob moving between the mouth and food.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
"Drunk" is an illness. Maybe the colonist has been drinking but has yet to reach that point.

OTOH, one common activity can be mistaken for vomiting. Eating is represented by a spiky green blob moving between the mouth and food.
Nope, I was just tooling around, and thought to myself "What are these green patches?"... when mouseover told me they were so-an-so's vomit.

I will have to monitor her more closely when I get home today. I'm always distracted by something else that needs done, and then when I check around the homestead, there is a new pile of her vomit nearby, every day.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Cryptosleep sickness also causes vomit and lasts quite a while but that should have been noted in the colonist's health when setting up the scenario.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Cryptosleep sickness also causes vomit and lasts quite a while but that should have been noted in the colonist's health when setting up the scenario.
Ha! That's probably it. Everybody had it, though only one person seems to be vomiting from it.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Alright, got another question.

So last night, in my latest playthrough (I've been starting a new one every day, using the lessons learned from the previous day to be just a bit better) I got hit by my first raid of the night, just a single pirate. I took him down with no problem whatsoever. I decided I would nurse him back to health and try to get him to join the colony. I had just finished building what would be my cold-storage facility, so I threw a bed in there and used it as a makeshift jail, as I had nothing that required freezing quite yet anyway.

After a few days of conversation, he finally joins the colony- and silly me, I never bothered to check his health panel during all of this! It turns out that in taking him down, my rifleman obliterated his spine, so I now have a completely useless 15-year-old permanently confined to a bed, being fed. Whoops!

On the whole, cool, emergent gameplay gives me an interesting scenario that I can work with. Colony works to support the life of a paralyzed individual, neat story, blah blah blah... BUT, he is confined to a bed in my freezer! And I could not figure out a way to move him to anywhere else. In the end, I had to euthanize the poor guy and bury him in the desert so I could start stockpiling perishables.

So, did I miss something somewhere? I couldn't seem to find any info last night about how to move a person that is incapable of moving themselves. If they are downed outside, easy to move them. But once they are in a bed, it seems that they are destined to stay there FOREVER!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Build a bed elsewhere and assign it to him. Assign his bed to someone else, he will get dumped on the floor and then someone can rescue him and put him in the new bed. I think. I haven't played in a while.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfop View Post
Build a bed elsewhere and assign it to him. Assign his bed to someone else, he will get dumped on the floor and then someone can rescue him and put him in the new bed. I think. I haven't played in a while.
Ah, I didn't ever try to assign his bed to somebody else. I did assign him a new bed, attempt to have his existing bed moved, and other such things. I bet that would work though, and now I feel bad!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
So, did I miss something somewhere? I couldn't seem to find any info last night about how to move a person that is incapable of moving themselves. If they are downed outside, easy to move them. But once they are in a bed, it seems that they are destined to stay there FOREVER!
You need at least one hospital bed and have the colony doctor rescue the immobile. One hopes that the immobile one isn't the doctor.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 AM

Why am I just discovering this game!?

I don't want to bore anyone with the details. But it's surprising how quickly a couple of wrong decisions (like capturing all the survivors from a pirate raid that ran afoul of an NPC caravan outside my walls in the dead of winter) can quickly turn a comfortable little colony into a blood-soaked death hole full of lunatic cannibals where the only option is to have your last survivor toss a few Molotov cocktails in and burn it to the ground.

Last edited by msmith537; 05-23-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:09 AM

I watched a few videos a month or two ago. The game is seriously impressive in scope. Still early access.

When it gets a full release I'll probably buy it, play it for two hours, and then yet again remember that I'm really bad at this sort of game.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I watched a few videos a month or two ago. The game is seriously impressive in scope. Still early access.

When it gets a full release I'll probably buy it, play it for two hours, and then yet again remember that I'm really bad at this sort of game.
I wouldn't say I'm "good". I tend to get things set up and speed up the clock, only stopping it when I hear the BOOM of one of my colonists blowing up the dining room with a grenade to stop a fellow colonist who just snapped and went berserk.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:

To be fair this is the kind of game that is fun to suck at.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Oh yeah, no doubt. It's just...

This is a game type that really, really appeals to me intellectually. I want to love them. I do kind of love them, but not in quite the right way. When I sit down to play, they never quite click with me. I usually get my money's worth. Eventually. Even if it takes a couple years worth of intermittent attempts to build up enough total hours to justify the cost.

A good example would be Prison Architect, which I picked up in Early Access and haven't even touched since it had its full release. I've been squinting at it lately in my Steam library and can feel another attempt coming on.

I always feel like I'm juuuuuuuuust barely short of the line between "I suck at this game because I don't get it" and "I suck at this game because it's hard, but losing is fun."

Oxygen Not Included has also been calling me with its siren song.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-23-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I've got about 90 hours in the game thus far, having purchased a couple months ago. It is, to my way of thinking, already a very complete game and I'd be perfectly happy if they never added a thing (keeping in mind there are a lot of mods for it for freshness). But a new (still Alpha) version is just around the corner (currently in opt-in testing) that adds and tweaks.

To me, it isn't about loving the colonists; it's free-form problem-solving at it's best. If you like Prison Architect, you'll love this. Heck, even if you're a Minecraft fan and enjoy designing/building, this should scratch that itch.

That said, getting attached to your colonists is a happy side-effect. But remember:
* never allow a pyro to join your colony
Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You'll want some mods as well. At the very least, pick up the one that lets you specify what colonists and equipment you want on your RimWorld. Search the Workshop for Prepare Carefully and it'll be near the top.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:40 PM

I've been playing this the past week or so, having heard about it on here. It is great fun, despite being quite administrative - there are so many amusing, random variables.

I deliberately re-rolled the starting colonists until I had three cannibals, who get on well with their shared tastes, and never go hungry. The only problem is that none of the potential new colonists (prisoners, refugees or wanderers) have been cannibal - so they just don't fit in, and their stay is inevitably short-lived.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
and their stay is inevitably short-lived.
But delicious.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee View Post
I've been playing this the past week or so, having heard about it on here. It is great fun, despite being quite administrative - there are so many amusing, random variables.
Indeed. Just this morning, I successfully fought off a raid. Usually I try to capture all the enemy wounded, but my people were occupied evacuating their own.

Sadly, the wounded pirates were burned alive in the firestorm started by their own molotovs.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:07 PM

Well, this thread made me pick up Prison Architect again. I'm getting pretty good at facilitating shower murders, but I'm still not great at running prisons.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Well, this thread made me pick up Prison Architect again. I'm getting pretty good at facilitating shower murders, but I'm still not great at running prisons.
I still have that sitting in my Library. I love the developer's other games, but I just can't get in to that one - I've made it maybe halfway through the tutorial.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Yeah, I skipped the tutorial altogether and have just been pulling videos/wikis when I run into trouble. The game's been out long enough that there's plenty of help out there.